Live Sushi Bar
2001 17th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Potrero Hill / Dogpatch
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Live Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.livesushibar.com/
- Phone: 4158618610x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Jackson Yu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Live Sushi is the premiere sushi caterer in the Bay Area for all of your sushi needs. Our experienced chefs, combined with a phenomenal menu, can create and present unparalleled sushi for your next special event. No event is too large or small for you and your guests to enjoy the highest quality sushi and service available. From sushi platters to on-site sushi bars, we offer the very best of everything sushi.
A word from Live Sushi Bar
Nestled in the heart of Potrero Hill you'll find Live Sushi Bar a "come as you are", comfortable and inviting neighborhood sushi bar; serving both lunch and dinner. Come enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of our casual dining room or grab a seat at the bar and have some fun with our professional and creative sushi chefs. Live Sushi brings a fresh spin to your sushi favorites, offering unique interpretations and creative live specialties including live scallop, live uni, fresh oyster and spanish mackerel. From our specialty rolls to our authentic appetizer, there's something for everyone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Live Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (8)great for lunch (6)special occasion (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)romantic (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Always fresh fish for theirwdsddsVIPDined on 2/21/2013Always fresh fish for their sushi and their combinations are delicious and at a great price for all you get.Special Features:
- Sushi were fresh and veryAshleyVIPDined on 2/16/2013Sushi were fresh and very delicious! Service was okay could be better.Special Features:
- Good for a neighborhood sushiwdsddsVIPDined on 2/10/2013Good for a neighborhood sushi bar. Fish is fresh. Bento box / combinations are good and you get a lot.Special Features:
- We got seated immediatelyChezfongfongVIPDined on 2/7/2013We got seated immediately even though we we were a half hour early for our reservation. The place was getting quite full but our waitress was quite friendly and attentive. The griled squid appetizer wasn't as tasty as I remembered it. The Power Roll was lovely, Romeo and Juliet was also good, but the Family Affair Roll wasn't very exciting. We really enjoyed the flights of Earth and Wind Sake. The Black Sesame and Mango Mochis were great, the Green Tea Tiramisu was light and interesting.Special Features:
- Sushi was pretty good, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/25/2013Sushi was pretty good, service was great, prices were slightly below average I would estimate. the Live Scallop was the best and most unique item we had --- they take a full scalloop and shell, serve the good part as nigiri (about 6 small pieces) and tempura-fry the tough parts with a dipping sauce. very tasty, very unique. the place is a bit small and you're packed close together (but not too close) so it does get noisy.Special Features:
- Casual dining with friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/14/2013Casual dining with friendly service and good food.Special Features:
- I have always LOVED Life sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 1/8/2013I have always LOVED Life sushi! Haven't been here in a while but was greatly pleased it still had great service and the food was exceptional! It wasn't busy but it wasn't dead either. Will definitely be returning more often.Special Features:
- go just for the sushi, notthisVIPDined on 12/26/2012go just for the sushi, not crazy about much else they serve, except their miso
- Not impressed with the foodHawaiiVisitorVIPDined on 12/13/2012Not impressed with the food or the service. Didn't feel the evening was worth the price paid.
- This was our 3rd visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/29/2012This was our 3rd visit to Live Sushi this year. While the food was very good as expected, the service was terrible. We felt like we were being rushed throughout the meal. Servers kept trying to whisk away our plates even though we were still eating. Even my napkin was taken away before we were asked if we wanted dessert. Every place else removes the napkin when the diner leaves the restaurant. How else do you wipe your mouth before you leave the table? Not a relaxing meal as one would expect to have when dining out. It may be a while before we return. I can't even recommend it right now.
- The food is ok, not special.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/27/2012The food is ok, not special. The price is a expensive.Special Features:
- delicious fishOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/24/2012I go here for the quality of the fish -- delicious, fresh, succulent. I usually order from the daily special board, but if I take my kids they'll get whatever sushi roll and agadashi tofu and are happy. Last time I happened to try the grilled calamari, dusted with chili--the sweetness of the calamari lingered long into the night. Yum. The waitrons are fast and friendly but they could use another one; likely to wait more than optimal, though it's worth it.Special Features:
- Generally I've had nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/17/2012Generally I've had nothing but good experiences with the rolls at Live Sushi. However, for the Bergschneider roll (which I often order) the unagi was not properly prepared, with the bones still very hard and impossible to eat for about half the roll. Also, ordered the mixed tempura for appetizer and the breading was heavy and soggy, and overall the items were very oily (should be light and airy).Special Features:
- Freshest Sushi in townOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/13/2012Awesome sushi. Can't get any fresher than the Live Scallops. My favorite. Great food, great serviceSpecial Features:
- Sashimi and rolls were decent.aggie107Dined on 11/2/2012Sashimi and rolls were decent. Appetizers were decent. Nothing to complain about but nothing extraordinary. Service was excellent - very attentive and friendly. Not sure that it's the best value for the quality of the food. The oyster special was extremely delicious.Special Features:
- Make reservations, this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2012Make reservations, this place gets packed on Friday nights.Special Features:
- Not worth it.MikeSFOVIPDined on 10/26/2012I order delivery from Live Sushi and it is great;; however, the restaurant food and service is not good. The restaurant is dark and tables are very close together. The noise level is very high. The food was below average. Service was ok, but I would not return. Too many other Japanese restaurants in the city.
- Service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/17/2012Maybe just an off night for the restaurant but the service was TERRIBLE. Took 30 mins to seat us (after reservation), forgot our drinks, brought food including items we'd specifically asked not to bring, brought some main courses out at same time as some apps for different people, basically had no clue. Food was fine but largely forgettable. Probably won't go back.
- A little on the pricey side,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/14/2012A little on the pricey side, but definitely worth it if you care about the quality of the fish! Highly recommend the bluefin toro, the wild hamachi, and the sake. Love the island poki for an appetizer, and the hou hou shu bubbly sake to drink! If you seek out great fish - go to Live Sushi Bar! You will not regret it!Special Features:
- I'm not a big sushi fan butLizziDined on 10/5/2012I'm not a big sushi fan but I've been to Live Sushi a few times and have always been impressed.Special Features:
- LOVE LOVE LOVE this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2012LOVE LOVE LOVE this place! It has to be one of my favorite sushi bars in the city. The staff is fantastic and super nice. The food is always fresh. My favorite is probably the live scallop. I've been here I don't even know how many times and I keep coming back for more!Special Features:
- ZVery good mid-priced Sushi.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2012ZVery good mid-priced Sushi. Great service, friendly and delisious food.Special Features:
- The black cod appetizer wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2012The black cod appetizer was our favorite dish and the recommendation our server gave us were all good.Special Features:
- By far my favorite SF sushiMorganDined on 8/21/2012By far my favorite SF sushi spot and all this time it was under my nose. Now that I live in the neighborhood its fantastic!Special Features:
- I live for Live.BeenThereAteThatVIPDined on 8/11/2012I'm a Sushi Snob, have been to all the best in NY and LA as well as SF, and am almost reticent to give away this insider spot. I've been a fan of Kash's sushi joints since before there was a Live Sushi. He knows the secret, great quality fish, and he hires chefs who recognize quality and know what to do with it. Taking the quality into account, there's great value here, with Live ranking among the best in the city, offering an extensive selection at reasonable prices. The combo dinners, udon bowls and bento boxes offer great value, and the full kitchen provides an extensive selection. The live scallop and live uni entrees are worth a try, as is having a Sake Bomb or two with the wonderful staff. For a treat, go omakase at theSpecial Features:
- Sushi & Sake: great pairingsSJFoodieInPhillyDined on 7/30/2012Lovely sushi restaurant. Found in Google Maps and then to Open Table. Small neighborhood type place, however, the sushi was way better than average: freshness, unusual combinations, and attention to detail when serving. Sake list was larger than usual with good explanations; wait person knowledgeable and made good recommendation. Hope to go back next time we are in that area. Good value too.Special Features:
- Great neighbourhood restaurantmamesbabesVIPDined on 7/25/2012Great neighbourhood restaurant with helpful staff and great sushi!Special Features:
- We LOVE this place! The fishOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/18/2012We LOVE this place! The fish is fresh (recommend the Wild Hamachi!!), the sake is super tasty (especially love the Hou Hou Shu Bubbly Sake), the only downside would be the bill (a little on the steep side). But I can't wait to come back!!Special Features:
- Maybe it was a bad night,RuphotogenicDined on 6/25/2012Maybe it was a bad night, but the sushi and service was awful this time.. Every single piece of nigiri was doused in ponzu sauce (including hamachi, walu, amaebi, and butterfish). Also, the half of these nigiri were also topped with chopped scallion, ginger and roe. Couldn't enjoy the fish flavor since it was completely masked by these toppings. We're they trying to disguise the flavor of the obviously less-than-fresh fish? Very disappointing. Waitress said its their style to douse all their nigiri with ponzu, ginger and scallion. Definitely a "style" we didn't care for. $60 for 6 orders of nigiri and one roll; complete rip-off for very poor quality fish. Didn't order alcohol so had to ask 2x for tea before being served. Not recommended!
- I came in with my girlfriendOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2012I came in with my girlfriend for our date night and had a wonderful experience. The service was on point, the fish was fresh and we were well taken care of by everyone! Nice job! We will be back!Special Features:
- Fish is oh so fresh! LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/20/2012Fish is oh so fresh! Love the hou hou shu bubbly sake and the nigiri here (also recommend the Island Poki). Expensive - but worth it, for the quality of the fish!Special Features:
- The spider roll was bad! MyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2012The spider roll was bad! My friend got sick off it.
- Friday night Sushi2kgougherVIPDined on 6/16/2012Friday night outing. Seated immediately. :-) Prompt, friendly service. Knowledgable staff. Food was fresh and well prepared. Lots of choices. We had the combo, which is good value. A popular place by the turnover and need to turn a couple of people away. We'll be back.Special Features:
- The short and sweet: ThisMorganDined on 6/13/2012The short and sweet: This is by far my favorite sushi in the city.Special Features:
- My friends and I enjoyed LiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2012My friends and I enjoyed Live Sushi Bar last Sunday evening; the menu was varied with lots of choices, and the food came very quickly after ordering. While not terribly inexpensive, the restaurant seemed a good value for what we received.Special Features:
- Very fresh fish and shellfish!Chien47VIPDined on 6/1/2012Very, very fresh fish and shellfish. Not quite traditional for a Japanese restaurant. Some stunning items include Live Scallop, Aji Tataki, Gyoza and Wakame (seaweed salad). Daily specials that are usually a good bet. Very wide range of Sake selections.
- Love love love this place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/13/2012Love love love this place!! Go for the fresh fish, not for the rolls. Highly recommend the specials (check the board) and the island poki and the hou hou shu (bubbly sake? what's not to love?!). Will definitely be returning sometime soon!Special Features:
- The food never let me down.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2012The food never let me down. Everything is good, but a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Lively Sushi Bar !!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/21/2012We had an 11-year-old young man with us and the staff could not have been nicer to him!! We all had a wonderful time and will revisit soon!Special Features:
- Great Fresh SushiDinerx765VIPDined on 4/21/2012I was surprised to find such high quality fish in this place that used to be a bad Chinese restaurant. The food is great, from simple, fresh sushi elegantly presented, to some other more inventive preparations (scallop two ways was really good!) They also have nightly/seasonal specials that are really great, and the service is knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. Glad we tried it. Now we go once a week!Special Features: