Blowfish Sushi - SF
2170 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Blowfish Sushi - SF
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blowfishsushi.com/
- Phone: 4152853848
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday- Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday- Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday- Friday: 5:00pm- 7:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Ritsuo Tsuchida
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Blowfish Sushi can catering all kinds of fun, casual or elegant events. Anyone can make quite an impression on their guests with are elegant sushi displays and decor. On-site sushi chefs are available upon request. Let Blowfish Sushi make your event shine!
- Entertainment: We show all the sporting events! Whenever football is on, we have discounts at the bar! Live DJ's every Wednesday! Go Giants
- Special Events: On & Off site catering for ANY event! The possibility's are endless!
- Cross Street: 19th & 20th
- Public Transit: Bus #27 stops at Bryant and 20th. Bus #22 & #33 stops at Bryant and 16th.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located at 2170 Bryant St. between 19th and 20th in the Mission District of San Francisco. You are able to park on Bryant or surrounding blocks.
A word from Blowfish Sushi - SF
Blowfish Sushi is an eclectic sushi bar and restaurant that serves both modern and traditional sushi, and sashimi, as well as salads, cooked appetizers and special desserts. The menu style is Asian Fusion and emphasizes clean, pure healthy foods. We have an extensive list of imported sakes and our own original line of sake cocktails. Our upbeat and unforgettable atmosphere is one of a kind, creating an atmosphere of excitement. Our restaurant and sound system have been specially created to give the impression of "feeling the sound" while allowing conversation to be acoustically transparent. We continuously show Japanese animation films for your viewing pleasure. Colorful original production cells, used in the making of various Anime feature films, decorate the walls. These cartoon images are considered an art form in Japan and are extremely popular in many countries. Come Eat to the Beat! Blowfish Sushi.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Blowfish Sushi - SF - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Blowfish Sushi - SF reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (53)hot spot (44)good for groups (38)special occasion (36)vibrant bar scene (27)romantic (17)late-night find (12)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great find, loved the artworkOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/21/2008Great find, loved the artwork and the overall mood of the place. Service was a bit slow so don't go if your in a rush... Great sushi.. it really is to die for ;)Special Features:
- loved the atmosphere. It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/21/2008loved the atmosphere. It was very lively. when we arrived it was empty since the restaurant was just openning,but business picked up quickly and the atmosphere picked up along with it. great for group gatherings and a quick drink before a night on the town.Special Features:
- This was my second visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/20/2008This was my second visit to Blowfish Sushi to Die For. It was even better than I remember. The food was excellent, and the service was outstanding. I will be moving to the Bay Area in the next month and I look forward to coming back on a more regular basis.Special Features:
- Lunch reservations for TuesdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/20/2008Lunch reservations for Tuesday the 20th were completely booked. I booked weeks in advance and the only time available for my party was a very early 11:30am. There was only one server (with a trainee) for the entire restaurant for over 3 hours that day. After she finally came around to take our orders for dessert we waited another 30 minutes just for our ice creams, and then the orders were brought out wrong, twice! The food was reasonably good, although not nearly as inventive as I would expect out of a restaurant with this much hype, but overall the service was terrible. I won't be going back to Blowfish sushi.Special Features:
- Continues to be my absoluteJenSonomaVIPDined on 5/19/2008Continues to be my absolute favorite sushi spot in San Francisco. I've been going there for years!Special Features:
- Excelent Food...service itOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/16/2008Excelent Food...service it was little bit slow...drinks came after waiting for about 18 minutes and it wasn't too busy...??? Overall it was a good experience...I'll come back for sure!Special Features:
- Great food. Expect to waitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/16/2008Great food. Expect to wait for service if you have a large table.Special Features:
- Always reliable and a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 5/15/2008Always reliable and a favorite for years. There may be better sushi places in town for the purists, but what they do, they do well. Exciting anime atmosphere with sushi to match.Special Features:
- The service started out strongOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2008The service started out strong but once after getting the first portion of our order our server disappeared. Overall I was sadly disappointed with this visit to Blowfish. We frequently go here but this visit left a bad taste in my mouth not only due to the service but the overall quality of what we ended up ordering this time as well. Normally I love everything we get but this time I did not feel the same way.
- Fun place to dine. Get intoRivervalleyVIPDined on 5/10/2008Fun place to dine. Get into your artistic food fancy and transend into animation. Unique in it's own right, this restaurant carries it's own character without the pretense. The food is fresh, imaginative and the presentation is superb. Just fun!Special Features:
- There's better sushi in SF,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2008There's better sushi in SF, and this place is expensive, but the hip/glossy ambience and decent soundtrack make for a fun, club-like dining experience that will appeal to a lot of folks. The green tea cheesecake, on the other hand, is just outrageously good.Special Features:
- The sushi was good, but notOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/6/2008The sushi was good, but not the best i've had in SF and for the prices i expected a bit more. The buser also whisked away my friends plate before he could finish everything on it.Special Features:
- It's been quite awhile sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/5/2008It's been quite awhile since I've eaten at Blowfish and after my last dining experience, I can't imagine why I've waited so long! Everything surpassed my expectations. The best sashimi-ever!!Special Features:
- we got a bad oyster in ourDiBoDined on 5/3/2008we got a bad oyster in our half-dozen (and I LOVE oysters) so the waiter brought us dessert on-the-house to compensate. that was nice. I've been going to Blowfish since they opened, so it's nice to see they're still doing well.Special Features:
- Most exciting and flavorfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2008Most exciting and flavorful sushi I have found in the city thus far. Great atmosphere, vibrant and lighthearted vibe with just the right lighting for a date or a small gathering of prepartying dinner goers. Management was surprisingly attentive and curteous. I did not complain or even grimace when told they were out of the desert I wanted but they went ahead and comped a free sorbet desert just because they were out of mochi that night. It was my first time there and they went above and beyond. I will go back more for the service and atmosphere. The food was above average and had more flair than traditional sushi. I would recommend this place to my friends.Special Features:
- The sushi was fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/1/2008The sushi was fantastic! Great sake list too! We had this appetizer called the pyramid...amazing! Very cool decor...Japanese anime everywhere. Wait staff was eclectic and down to earth. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- I enjoyed blowfish, but INatalyjoaVIPDined on 4/30/2008I enjoyed blowfish, but I was disappointed that they closed at 11pm, I was also disappointed by the crowded tables. Overall, the food was good but it wasn't as great as I was expecting it to be. Our waitress did a great job, considering she had several tables at the same time.Special Features:
- The service was ok. Our waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/18/2008The service was ok. Our waitress forgot a few of our items and we had to remind her a few times. She didnt seem to be very alert. She hardly checked on our table to see if we needed anything. We had to wave her down a few times. We were sitted at a small table. The table was meant for 4 ppl but we had 5. Even though we had 2 kids with us, we should have been seated at a table for 5. We didnt mind being squish together...but at least sit us at a table that would have enough from for all of us. From this experience, I'm not sure if we would ever come back.
- I took friends from out ofOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/16/2008I took friends from out of town to Blowfish for a birthday celebration. The presentation of the food is very cool, and the atmosphere is great! Overall it was the perfect spot for us!Special Features:
- We had a reservation for 7:30OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/13/2008We had a reservation for 7:30 and had to wait for a big enough table to fit us - which took an additional 20 minutes. Much better restaurant for 2. Not a great place to bring a group of six unless you're really small and want to squeeze together on a bench. Special sushi plates were interesting - but nearly all of the sushi we ordered were very small portions so the bill got expensive quickly. If you're a light sushi eater, this is a good place.Special Features:
- Although the prices are relativelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2008Although the prices are relatively high, the food was superb. We ordered 6 rolls between 4 of us and sashimi and they were all fantastic, servewas friendly and fast without being invasive. Was a great place to catch up with friends, and i look forward to eating there again.Special Features:
- the sushi was great. the cucumberOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/10/2008the sushi was great. the cucumber drinks were very refreshing. the service was a little slow. overall it was well worth it.Special Features:
- We had a great lunch at BlowfishOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/9/2008We had a great lunch at Blowfish & recommended it to others who also had a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Very fun and funky atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2008Very fun and funky atmosphere with super friendly servers and melt in your mouth sushi.Special Features:
- We had excellent service,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/8/2008We had excellent service, and our server was very nice. The food came quickly, and our glasses were always filled.Special Features:
- Unreal food. I would callOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/8/2008Unreal food. I would call it a religious experience for Sushi lovers. I travel the country and eat when I am out there and it was one of the top 2 or 3 sushi experiences I've ever had. Their chef is a genius.Special Features:
- Nigiris aren't so good. RollsbibimpopDined on 4/6/2008Nigiris aren't so good. Rolls are better deals, I think.Special Features:
- Our party of three was seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/3/2008Our party of three was seated a two top. The table was too small. This made our meal experience less comfortable although we really like the restaurant.Special Features:
- Food was outstanding. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2008Food was outstanding. The sushi was the best I have ever had. I would definitely recommend it. As you drive through the neighborhood, you would be surprised that it would have a great restaurant. They have a varied selection of sake wine that we enjoyed. The restaurant tended to be noisy. We were trying to have a business meeting and it was difficult to hear each other speak. Overall, I would strongly recommend it. Do make reversations as it tends to fill up each night. We were there on a Wednesday evening and at 7:30PM it was full! NandaSpecial Features:
- the service was kinda iffyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008the service was kinda iffy and the music they play is way too loud. I couldnt even hear my date and he was only a foot across from me. The food was good, but way to expensive for the portions. I would prefer to go to King of the Roll in Larkspur (right across the Golden Gate) any day over this place.Special Features:
- the crowd was definitely hip,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/20/2008the crowd was definitely hip, but the service was slow; considering they didn't actually have to cook anything we've ordered. service and table spacing need improvement.Special Features:
- The food was great however;OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/17/2008The food was great however; the service was a bit lacking. The waitress was rude and it took forever to get drinks. At one point the waitress cleaned the table in front of each person sweeping food on us. It was almost like we were in here way! A highlight of the night was that the manager Julie comped us a round of drinks for the entire party of 11. Julie turned my birthday dinner from a bad experience with good food to good food with great customer service, too bad it was not from the waitress!Special Features:
- Service was exceptionallyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/15/2008Service was exceptionally bad. There was a long wait until our first drinks were brought, another very long wait between our salad and our first fish dishes, and an excruciating wait until our dessert was brought. The entire dinner inexcusably took 1 hr 40 min. Our server suggested that the problem was a "large" party of 10 people at the next table. If a party of 10 is large enough to throw off the entire service for the evening, then the restaurant should consider not seating such large tables or serving them a prix fixe menu. Other tables shouldn't have to suffer. I would give ambience a higher note, but we were seated at an extra table that had been added to a row of tables, creating a "kid's table at Thanksigiving" feel.
- Tables were too close together.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008Tables were too close together. Our server was punctual and knowledgable but was not a people person - no sense of humor, she just wanted to feed us and get us out of there. We researched a restaurant with great reviews and expected to enjoy our food and time but we couldn't wait to get out of the restaurant. The tables are too close together to enjoy a conversation with your guests without the table next to you giving you looks for being too loud. Bad experience, but I heard the one in San JOse is much better and different so I will go there next time.
- Good sushi but nothing rockOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008Good sushi but nothing rock star. Good choice of sake. Needs more knowledgeable and engaged wait staff. They might have had great stuff on the menu but my waiter was not eager to it point it our for me.Special Features:
- Little slow on the service,OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/14/2008Little slow on the service, kept having to look for our waiter, but otherwise food and sake was very good.Special Features:
- I loved Blowfish. I will recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/9/2008I loved Blowfish. I will recommend my friends and family to enjoy the experience that I did. I am definately going back. I would appreciate it if Blowfish would e-mail me any gift certifiactes or promotions so that I can take advantage of the opportunity. Thank you.Special Features:
- The ambiance of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2008The ambiance of the restaurant is very modern and fun. This is a great spot for young people to hang out at. The staff is very friendly and the food is killer as well as moderatly priced.Special Features:
- Even with a reservation weOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/8/2008Even with a reservation we waited for 30 minutes for a table. also, Service is quiet slow. I'm pretty much a regular here and these problems occur almost everytime we come.Special Features:
- I was disappointed withtheClaudiaaVIPDined on 3/8/2008I was disappointed withthe service and how loud the music was.... Food was great!Special Features: