20 West Lane
Ridgefield, CT 06877Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bernardsridgefield.com/
- Phone: 2034388282x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday -Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday -Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm. Closed Monday's.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Bernard Bouissou
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access
- Catering: WE offer off-premise catering. Please call Elizabeth at (203)856-2537 for more information.
- Entertainment: Sarah's wine bar features live music Wednesday thru Saturday & our Jazz Masters Series the last Sunday of each month. Bernard's offer live piano music Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday brunch
- Special Events: Bernard's offers Wine tasting Dinner, cooking classes, Author luncheons, Jazz Masters Series and live entertainment
A word from Bernard's
Bernard's features contemporary French Cuisine in an elegant Country Inn setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Bernard's - Best Restaurants in Ridgefield ›
Bernard's reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (43)notable wine list (29)fit for foodies (27)romantic (26)neighborhood gem (10)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Consistently ExcellentvonmegahertzDined on 12/18/2013I've been dining here since 1969, through various owners and names for this restaurant. The Boisserts have Bernard's at a pinnacle. They are providing top New York quality at Fairfield County prices, typically less than half of what you would pay in the City for comparable cuisine. In that both Bernard and Sarah previously were employed at Le Cirque, this is not surprising. Overall, Bernard's is a clear contender for Best Restaurant in Connecticut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was fine exceptJMACDined on 12/14/2013Everything was fine except for one meal, a fish meal, that I thought was pretty skimpy. No other complaints. Although my wife and I love this restaurant, I think the other couple were not impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, average foodgourmet77Dined on 12/12/2013While the highly tradidional dining rooms was quite pleasant, the food was average at best for the price. Service was friendly but slow. Desertas was nothing to write homw about. The wine list was very complete and sophisticated. Surely not a hip place with a cool crowd but your typical New England eatery on the very conservative side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first visit to Bernard'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/8/2013My first visit to Bernard's was a wonderful experience. I went for Sunday brunch, and the food was truly outstanding. My only issue was the attention of our waiter. It seemed that as the dining room filled up, the demand on our waiter resulted in some slower service. But it was not enough to dampen the experience.Special Features:
- Loved itmikedinerDined on 12/7/2013Had not been here for years. Forgot how good it was. Very creative dishes, wonderfully executed, served by knowledgeable and attentive staff, in a perfect environment. Nothing more to ask for. Retreating to the cozy wine bar upstairs after dinner was a nice treat, too. Live jazz, and no pressure to buy anything. Staff was gracious about us just taking up space and finishing our conversation before departing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bernards is one of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/29/2013Bernards is one of the best French Restaurants in all of New England.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving tradition the easy wayReddingFamilyDined on 11/28/2013We find that we can count on sitting back and having a relaxing holiday with our kids, their kids and our dear friends over delicious food, great service and in a warm, soft, beautiful setting on Thanksgiving at Bernard's. It has taken all the stress away so that no matter who we invite along, we know they will be impressed with the quality of the food and the service and all we need to do is enjoy each other's company. Thank you, Bernard's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thank youcatsDined on 11/28/2013our thanks for making our thanksgiving lunch so special. the service, the menu, the flavors of the food, the presentation- all top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good servicesariegoDined on 11/26/2013I recently went to celebrate my husband's birthday and we had never been there. The place is beautifully decorated with an old fashioned old world feel to it. The service was very good and the food was good. We especially enjoyed the foie gras plate which we shared. My husband ordered the cassoulet and it was delicious with fall off the bone duck and chicken and it was very flavorful. I ordered the salmon and it was undercooked, at least for my taste but the vegetables and sauce that accompanied it were delicious.Special Features:
- A Ridgefield, CT French gem!ctsteveDined on 11/24/2013Of all the places in CT, Bernard's has to be one of the best classic French restaurants around. Located in Ridgefield, and home to wonderful classical architecture and terrific consignment stores. Bernard's is a wonderful restaurant where, mostly I find myself driving to for lunch, and I live quite a few miles away, because the food is always consistently good. It's a place that hasn't fallen into the "trendy" trap of dining - just providing the customer with great, classic French cuisine. Five stars!Special Features:
- Nice romantic dinnerbedfordmomDined on 11/23/2013My husband and I are always looking for good local Westchester/CT restaurants for date nights - Bernard's has great food, romantic atmosphere, and very reasonable prices for the quality of food/service. Our crab appetizers, his duck and my lobster main dishes, and our apple tart dessert were all fantastic. And he rarely views duck to be prepared to his liking, except at a couple places in the city. We would come here again and highly recommend. Don't think it is a place for young kids (at least for dinner). It can get a little loud if you are sitting right next to the piano player, but the live background music to us was a nice add.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunchtruebluefoodieDined on 11/20/2013I took a friend for her birthday to Bernard's, clearly a great spot for that as four other tables were also celebrating birthdays! The lunch menu is very creative and varied - something for everyone and, while somewhat expensive, worth every penny. The crab salad was extraordinary, lightly seasoned, very generous in amount and a lovely presentation. The duck confit salad was equally wonderful. Desserts were gorgeous and delicious. Service was very friendly and attentive but a touch erratic. It seemed to be an aberation that day and certainly was nothing to complain about. The dining room is charming, cozy and quiet enough to easily carry on a conversation, something increasingly hard to find these days! I would highly recommend Bernard'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Dining ExperienceLovelyLunchDined on 11/10/2013We went to Bernard's for a Sunday brunch. The menu had a great selection, the service was attentive and the eviorment was cozy and perfect for a fall day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deconstructing PerfectionDeediDined on 11/9/2013Good food has always been a passion. I try to create some of the dishes I've come by....but not this time. I found it nearly impossible. As I ate sweet breads for the very first time, as always, I tried to deconstruct the ingredients that made it dance in my mouth. After a few bites I had to let go and just enjoy. This happened through every coarse. The experience at Bernard's was exquisite. The atmosphere was as comfortable as an old pair of slippers. The attentiveness of the staff from the moment you're greeted in the parking lot by the valet service, to the table side visit of the owner. Making it back into the kitchen where the magic happens was a treat. Chef Michelle Greenfield is the heart of Bernerd's kitchen. Thank you. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dining experienceBobbyVIPDined on 11/8/2013Awesome dining experience and we shall certainly returnSpecial Features:
- OutstandingTTTTDined on 11/3/2013I took my family to Bernard's for my wife's birthday and was extremely happy with the ambiance, service and food. My wife is a foodie and in the Restaurant business, so she is very critical of other restaurants when it comes to service and quality of food, but she could not have been more pleased. Apparently the pianist does not play on Sunday nights however which was disappointing, but again, this is a must for special occassions or a nice romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayNight OutDawnDined on 11/2/2013We went to Bernards for my husband's birthday and had a lovely evening. I had noted in my reservation that I would like the table by the fireplace and that was exactly where we were seated. We chose the chef's tasting menu with wine and everything we had was fantastic. The service was attentive without being intrusive, the piano music was very nice as well. We could not have asked for a nicer evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great employees, food was just okSavannahDined on 10/31/2013Host and staff were very engaging. Very helpful with the menu and extremely friendly. We enjoyed chatting with them. My husband loved his appetizer and my salad was favorable. Bacon sampler was so very disappointing. It was sparse (I understand it is French cuisine) extremely dry, flavorless and bordered on not being edible. $96.00 for 2 porterhouse steaks that lacked flavor was WAY overpriced. Although cooked perfectly, the "three day" sauce tasted like tomato-ey A1 sauce. Our deserts were also nothing over the top, although the presentation was nice. It seems the descriptions from the staff didn't match the food quality. We never mind spending money on good food. We love upscale dining. But this was just OK. We won't be returning. PitySpecial Features:
- Delightful Autumnal Brunch !spiffy29Dined on 10/27/2013Brunch at Bernard's at this time of year, is truly a memorable experience. While dining, one can view the lovely colors of autumn as they look through the windows at the beautifully decorated grounds surrounding the restaurant, The food is extremely fresh and it is so beautifully presented. Many of the items on the menu--especially the desserts ( pumpkin cheesecake- yum!)-- reflect the season. The servers are friendly and attentive. The piano music is the finishing touch on the most elegant brunch in town!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I selected Bernard's for anDavidfromLIDined on 10/26/2013I selected Bernard's for an Autumn outing to Ridgefield CT to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. I can't say enough about the excellence of this restaurant. Our server, Dana, was charming and most helpful. Our table was in a cozy room with fireplace and pianist in the adjacent room. The creative menu utilized locally grown produce and seasonal items. We had a pumpkin mousseline/shrimp appetizer and a delicious and unusual bacon sampler. For our main courses, we had pistachio encrusted hailbut and duck breast with a fig sauce, and for dessert. we had a pumpkin cheesecake and pineapple polenta cake with blueberry maple sauce. The wine list had an extensive selection, many surprisingly affordable. A perfect dining experience!Special Features:
- Benard's is outstandingJosephDined on 10/26/2013My wife and I went to Bernard's on an early Saturday night for our anniversary dinner out. It was outstanding food, drink, wine and most of all the service. Friendly servers and bus boys also the unseen but noticeable kitchen staff for the timeliness and quality of the food. The food was prepared perfectly as ordered. It could not be a better experience. Thank you all at Bernard's for making our anniversary a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for foodiesNYFoodieDined on 10/25/2013The foodies paradise. Creative menu, wonderful choices an outstanding service. The staff knew the menu, offered advice which was spot on. They were attentive but did not hover. The general manager steps by our table twice to ensure everything was to our liking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BACON, BACON, BACON !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/23/2013I took a client for lunch and we had a perfect meal . The chef is amazing everything is made on premise , even all the bacon in the Seven Bacon Sampler which is heaven on a plate . Each tasting of bacon has it's own garnish that compliments it perfectly. I highly suggest this as well as the charcuterie plate as a starter with a glass of wine ( awesome wine list !) while you peruse the menu for more delectables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and ambienceLynlovesfinediningDined on 10/12/2013My husband and I went for my birthday. Food was fabulous.Enjoyed the piano background music. Brian our waiter was excellent.Special Features:
- BeautifulRobietheCatDined on 9/29/2013Indulgent, lovely dishes, superb wines, gracious atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent service not soOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/29/2013This was first time at Bernard s. The food was excellent. the wait staff not so. This Sunday a 50th anniversary party was being held in the main dinning room so brunch guest were directed to a small ante room. When my party arrived we were the last table to be seated. One table was finishing up their entree and preparing for dessert. Two tables had menus and had drinks. We were shown to our table but not given menus. Our drink order was taken and then the waiter left.His assistant seemed in a fog. We concluded it was his first day. We were given menus after orders were taken at the table across from us. The waiter literally took their order and then gave us the menus. I cant believe they didn't have enough menus to go around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPatBDined on 9/28/2013Our first visit and we will be back. A great restaurant for a special occasion. The venison with Grand Veneur sauce was the best I've ever had and my wife loved the pork chop/spatzle. The wine list was impressive and the staff very helpful in selecting pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, good food, great waitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/21/2013Lovely, good food, great wait staff...we had a wonderful anniversary dinner. TY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special giftGraduateDined on 9/17/2013My wife and I received a gift certificate to the restaurant from a group of friends to celebrate an important event in our life. We absolutely loved our time and felt the ambiance, food and service were superb. We will remember the evening for a long time. I would highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner GemOnetableDined on 9/10/2013Thirty six years of a wonderful marriage demanded an equally wonderful restaurant to celebrate the date and Bernards was it. Cut to the chase: exceptional service, brilliant wine list and superb food. We will not wait for another anniversary to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to go!IlovefoodDined on 9/4/2013I had the pork belly starter which was excellent. As a main course I had the lamb trio which was also excellent. Service was perfect. Corkage fee was $40 which is a touch on the high site to me. Overall a great place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2013Excellent as usual! Wonderful piano music accompanied out delicious meal, lively oomversation with our gracious hosts.A restaurant that never fails to please....a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2013Attentive staff without hovering, great food and wine assisted by knowledgeable waitstaff. Pianist added to the ambiance without dominating it. All around excellent evening, fit for the birthday celebration that it was. Not our first time and we look forward to returning again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favoriteJohnBVIPDined on 8/17/2013Eating great food in an atmosphere of beautiful piano and wonderful service, Bernard and Sarah and their team make this one of the finest spots in Connecticut and the surrounding NY area. We are treated like family here. We will be back often.Special Features:
- Was a very enjoyable "pre-show"OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2013Was a very enjoyable "pre-show" dinner. We were seated and served with plenty of time before our evening show at the Ridgefield Playhouse. The pre-show dinner was a little pricey but not out of line with the other dinner choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DinnerQuailDined on 8/9/2013The service was slow but the servers were quite good and required Sarah to prod serving of the main course. The food quality was generally good but the Haddock was overcooked and dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Execellent Wine ListOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2013Execellent wine list, service was great, the food was good (for the price I should have been wowed).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/4/2013Bernard's never disappoints! We have dined there four times and the food, service, overall dining experience never is lacking or below expectations. This last time, we ate outside with friends of ours in the garden. It was our friends first time there. As usual, our meal was outstanding, the ambiance could not have been better. We felt like we were in our own back yard enjoying a beautiful Sunday with good friends. excellent food, and fabulous service. The tomatoes in the special appetizer were actually picked from the garden we were sitting near. It was absolutely delicious. I just cannot say enough about this special restaurant. Believe me we will dine there often and soon.Special Features:
- Great food, fun atmosphere upstairsDanburyBearsDined on 7/30/2013My fiancé and I went for my birthday in hopes of a great meal, and were not disappointed. I had the lamb, which was literally melt-in-your-mouth delicious. My fiancé had the angus steak with similar results! The scallop appetizer with the garden grown zucchini blossom started us off, and was cooked to perfection, with the veggies so fresh and simply prepared. Our server helped us pick a wine suitable to my tastes and appropriate for our meals. After dinner we took the rest of our wine upstairs to relax on the patio. Our overall dining experience was just wonderful and we will be sure to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and elegant themeLauraDined on 7/21/2013Food is excellent. Even my mother only likes Chinese food and is very happy about the food. Breads are tasted yummy. Appetizers are good. Entrees are good and my opera cake creme is great. Service is super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.