The Bank Restaurant
121 W Front St
Wheaton, IL 60187Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Bank Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebankwheaton.com/
- Phone: 6306652265
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar Open: Sunday - Thursday 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Chef Patrick Cassata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: No
- Entertainment: Go to www.thebankwheaton.com/events for our live music schedule.
- Special Events: Go to www.thebankwheaton.com/events
A word from The Bank Restaurant
Spending an evening at The Bank is like having an unforgettable dinner party at your best friend’s house. Delectable food, great wine, pleasant conversation, sparkling laughter and the soft clink of silver, china & glass. Home away from home – relaxed, friendly, but with the bonus of smart, attentive staff.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Bank Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (24)great for outdoor dining (23)good for groups (16)great for lunch (16)romantic (15)fit for foodies (14)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Great first time experience!SLPofThreeDined on 5/10/2014We heard of this restaurant via Groupon; 40-minute drive but well worth it. Parking was a little tough, but for a 7pm Saturday (Mother's Day weekend) reservation, that's expected (along with having a downtown location). The server was spectacular; however, she did kind of forgot about us at the end when we waited about 15 mins for her to come back around w/the Rewards Program info (and considering the higher number of open tables around us by that time). But we weren't in a hurry and found that the overall service was really great. Ordered the NY strip, husband had lamb chops (special). Most delicious meats!! Cooked just right, very savory sauce. Dark ale & red headed peach martini were devine!! Will def be heading back as rewards members.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May 11 BirthdaywheatonwhitesDined on 5/10/2014The evening started with Kevin Schmitt greeting us at the host table and leading us to the perfect spot on the elegant outdoor dinning area. A beautiful bottle of perfect temperature white white was waiting for us at the table. I had trout on a bed of lemon orzo that was wonderfully prepared and my bride had a steak salad that was eye poppingly presented with rich wonderful flavors. It was a wonderful evening providing by an outstanding and friendly establishment.Special Features:
- Friday Night Loud but Good FoodPugnaciousVIPDined on 5/9/2014We've been to The Bank mid-week and on weekends, and my preference is usually to visit mid-week because of the noise from patrons who believe that the art of conversation is to talk the loudest over each other. Food is always very good and we've had everything from soup & sandwiches to steaks and lobster. This visit turned into a fish dinner with my wife ordering trout which was well prepared over rice and myself opting for a nice basked of fish & chips which was plentiful on the tasty fish & fries and could have dispensed with the boring flavorless coleslaw. Beer choices at The Bank are always fun with a nice selection of domestic and craft brews.Special Features:
- The Bank - First time dinerssuzeq18Dined on 4/29/2014We had purchased a Groupon for The Bank. The waitress did not seem perturbed that we had a coupon. She explained the menu and specials and made several suggestions. We chose the organic mozzarella sticks as an appetizer. They were delicious. For entrees we had the fried fish dinner and pot roast. The pot roast was worth the trip! We would both return to The Bank just to experience this dish again. It reminded us of what beef use to taste like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent and disapppointingAreaDinerDined on 4/21/2014A friend and I went here for lunch. We both ordered the LUNCH burger. What we received was the regular burger - but we didn't know that. It was a burger and came with cheese. When we got the bill, it was much more than we expected and we asked the waiter about it, when he finally reappeared. He was very offhand about it and just said we made a mistake. On top of that, the burger was tasteless and dry. We try to patronize this restaurant because it's local and not a chain. But it's just too inconsistent and this time was actually pretty bad.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining / excellent food!BaldDaddyDined on 4/20/2014We had Easter dinner with a reservation at the last seating of the day at 5 pm. The Bank had a special Easter menu which we were told about when we made the reservation. The food is simply exceptional; standard fare cooked with a twist. Portions are ample, and "starters", an entree, and an excellent homemade dessert are filling without leaving one with that heavy "ate too much" feeling. They focus on organic and locally grown meats and crops. The atmosphere is low key, yet subtly elegant. I particularly appreciate the quiet atmosphere that enables dinner conversation. The wait staff are relaxed, competent, ready to meet your every need with graciousness and timely response. In short, this is a great place to dine and we will be back!Special Features:
- DisappointedPav5Dined on 4/20/2014This was our second time here and we were really looking forward enjoying Easter out with our family. We were seated downstairs in a semi private room. The room was beautiful and we loved the decor. The server was professional, but stiff. The food was okay, but not up to our expectations. The lamb chops were a disappointment and some of the roasted potatoes were burned. We wanted a family photo after dinner, but after dropping off the receipt, our server never returned. A number of other employees rushed by, but no one ever glanced our way. I can't say we won't ever return, but not likely for a special occasion.
- Used to love this placeEatingOutDined on 4/20/2014Our last visit was for Easter brunch. The reservation was ready, the table was nice, but the place was surprisingly half-empty. The food took a long time to get to the table. The Mahi-mahi was good but the prime rib was very tough with cold mashed potatoes. It had to be returned. By the time the replacement (another mahi-mahi) arrived, the partner was finished. Overall, not worth the price to us anymore. There are lots of good restaurants nearby we'd rather go to. Unfortunately, we will not be coming back.Special Features:
- melt in your mouth truffle burgerMKPinkLadyDined on 4/19/2014Great service, tasty food, conscientious waiter and chef. Had a great meal and desserts with close friends for my birthday,Special Features:
- Great timeBeckyDined on 4/14/2014We ate here for my birthday dinner. We used our Groupon and had a very enjoyable experience. We got the calamari appetizer, beet salad, lamb pasta, fish and chips, and cheesecake, as well as the Sexy Devil martini and root beer beer. Calamari was good, and I really liked the horseradish sauce to dip it in. Beet salad was delicious--I'll have to try making it here at home! Lamb pasta was good, but a little too salty than what I'm used to eating normally. My husband liked the fish and chips but said he wished he had gotten a steak--his fault b/c he forgot that fish and chips is breaded fish. :) Cheesecake was good but not amazing. Sexy Devil martini was very good, and the root beer beer was so delicious! Great evening.Special Features:
- The Bank, won't break your bank!TeetoogrnDined on 4/12/2014I took my wife there for her birthday and we had a great time. The food was very good, the service was great and the price was reasonable. They even comp'd birthday cake for my wife! Nice place!Special Features:
- Adult Birthday DinnerburbanbillDined on 4/12/2014We were a party of eight adults celebrating at a preferred 'cut above' restaurant. Fried calamari, grilled calamari and pork flauta appetizers were great. The draft beers were fresh and spot on. Sadly the entrees were 50/50 with three overcooked and one just plain bad. My fillet was perfect and three others, the special stroganoff, the pappardelle pasta and "world's best" pot roast were very good. Happily the manager made every effort to correct the shortcomings. The replacement ribeye was quickly served and comping a portion of our bill was the right thing to do. We wrapped up with a few coffees, hearty chocolate brownie and ice cream that were devoured. Never before was a dinner that went bad handled so well by a restaurant manager.Special Features:
- Pricey but worth itsandyDined on 4/5/2014Great food and service. menu was varied but no so extensive it made choices difficutl. bit on the pricey side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchLove2eatVIPDined on 4/4/2014Had a delicious salad nicoise and barley veg soup. Great waiter named Rick was attentive and funny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNWestcombDined on 3/21/2014Had the lamb burger, which was great, but the fries we undercooked My wife had pasta and chicken and was not impressed as it lacked flavor. The tiramisu was not soft and coated with way too much cocoa powder. The wine and service were both very could. Overall we were disappointed with the food; considering the price.Special Features:
- Jeff anticipated our needsElisaVIPDined on 3/19/2014The Bank is a gem in Wheaton. we have been there many times-this time, we had Jeff-and he gave us the best service we have had. HIs timing (and therefore he coordinated well with the kitchen) was perfect, we shared a few things that he split for us w/out us even asking, he had detailed understanding of the menu and specials and explained things eloquently. we will ask for him each time we go back! and we will go back! they have a great rewards program as well and on Wednesdays, you get 10% off-win/win/win.Special Features:
- We love The Bank, but leftOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/17/2014We love The Bank, but left slightly disappointed after this visit. Our waitress made several comments of a negative nature about her other tables. I realize it was St. Patricks Day, and perhaps she would have rather been out drinking, but it was inappropriate and left a bad taste in our mouths. Food, overall, was good as always, but my husband's burger order was not correct (he choose to eat anyway) - one would hope that when paying $15 for a burger that they get your order right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Their main menu is fabulous.JulesDined on 3/4/2014Their main menu is fabulous. However, theme menus such as Mardi Gras; not so. But, it didn't deter me from deviating back to their main menu when the special items weren't that appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJBrownDined on 2/23/2014This is the second time dining here. The food is absolutely delicious. The service began to get a bit slow toward the end of our meal but still friendly and professional. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Cashing in at The BankSFCRetDined on 2/23/2014First of all, the food was excellent! The wait staff was on the spot, and had a sense of humor. The ambiance was remarkable; putting a restaurant inside of an old bank was a stroke of genius.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food -Unique LocationMSPEEPSVIPDined on 2/20/2014The decor is clean, polished reserved in a totally unique venue. The wine list is very fairly priced with an excellent selection encompassing many of the wine regions and styles. The menu is also unique in it's use of locally sourced food stuffs. The imaginative addition of vegetables is a complete and very welcome surprise. The scallop appetizer was presented over a cauliflower puree that was exquisite. The beet salad was a poem. The beef is grass fed and flavorful --our steaks were an artists delight of bright colored sauce and purple mashed sweet potatoes. Desserts were house made from scratch and nothing was the "same old same old". The staff is top notch, especially our waiter, Jeff !! --sure to become one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- DDAH ReviewDDAHDined on 2/15/2014We made a reservation online and were immediately e-mailed a confirmation as well as called by an actual person the next day to confirm. We had a reservation, yet still had to wait 45 minutes to be seated. Once we were ready to order, the kitchen had run out of the pecan crusted pork, forcing an alternative entree. Although the food was delicious, the serving sizes were quite small. The male at the table even said, "Well that was an expensive snack. Where are we eating on the way home?" Hosts were apologetic about the wait time and offered for us to sit in the bar area, but isn't the whole point of making a reservation so you don't have to wait? Even though the service and food were good, we shan't be returning to dine at The Bank again.Special Features:
- The Bank was delicious and worth itLisaDined on 2/15/2014Best part of the Bank: our server. She was absolutely fantastic! Debby, ask for her! The food was great and lots of it. My husband loved the seared scallops appetizer. The ambiance is beautiful, like being in an early 1900's speakeasy or something of that era. The Brut champagne I had was delicious. We had steaks, not too shabby. The wedge salad was good and most notable for me, the augratin potatoes. YUM YUM!Special Features:
- Nice, but expensive and noisyKPI95Dined on 2/15/2014Initial confusion on who was to service our table, but once that was determined, waitress was excellent. Appetizers were excellent, fish was bland, cheesecake was OK. Bill was almost $60/person and only two of us had an alcoholic drink, not all had an appetizer or dessert. No one had an extra side with their entree. Even though we were seated in a booth in a corner, it was still really loud. Hard to hear conversation at the table. The ambiance/look of the restaurant is nice.Special Features:
- Great AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014Nice laid out restaurant with wonderful food. Make sure you try the root beer beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a great place for food,CherylDined on 2/14/2014Just a great place for food, service and fun. We really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Jury Still OutPatriciaDined on 2/14/2014My first visit was Valentine's. Seated, basement downstairs table in what we were told was the most popular room The Fireplace Room. Had a small nonimpressive artifical fireplace, concrete floor. The special Val menu didn't bold me over, had the lobster lasagna which was dry. My husband told the manager who was inquiring about the service, he wasn't pleased about the location. He removed the cost of the bottle of wine we ordered which was very classy. The service was excellent. I'm willing to try it again since I don't think we had a true experience of the restaurant and see their regular menu. I have read good reviews regarding this restaurant. Jury still out.
- valentines dinnerfoodieDined on 2/14/2014Make sure to let the restaurant known you do not want to be sitting in the basement... I was ready to fall asleep with my date. Some might call it romantic, and if you are somewhere special that doesn't have a lot of room that's fine. The lighting was really poor in the basement closet room. The restaurant was empty at the time as well.. It doesn't really set the mood for valentines day or make anyone feel special. It would have also been nice to know the paper valentines menu was a set menu for the night. No where on the website did the bank make mention of the fact both menus are not available. Disappointed, and I like the bank as a restaurat
- PhenominalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014This may just be my new favorite place! The hostess was adorable and accomodating. She smiled and even offered us a tour of the lower level. What a beautiful building! Our server was a delight. He seems to "fit in" with us. Jeffery did not act like we were annoying him at all. He did not come off like a sales person, but instead like he really wanted us to feel welcome and happy with our lunch. He was informative, and assisted us in ordering just the perfect dishes, and he was so right! The food was amazing...and the desert and coffee were to die for. I will certainly be back, even if only for the desert and coffee... and Jeffery of course! Thank you for a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet on Sundaypinjoh541Dined on 2/2/2014Our first visit here, there were four of us. It was Super Bowl Sunday, the restaurant wasn't crowded. We had a great time, the waiter was attentive (but didn't hover) and the food was very good. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still love it!goodeatsDined on 1/29/2014Took a business associate here on Wed nite and it was, in a word, awesome. Everything was as perfect as one would expect. The mahi mahi, one of the evening specials, was outstanding. We love the grilled calamari and SO glad they've given option of fried or grilled back. Can't say enough good things about The Bank - thanks, guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hurrah for The Bank!blueelfDined on 1/26/2014I made a reservation for Sunday afternoon with the specification of a table with good lighting for my 88-year-old mother. When we arrived, my request was remembered by the staff without my having to remind anyone--they were very attentive. The calamari was perfectly cooked and absolutely marvelous. Nice selection of craft beers, too. My mother was very happy as well. She can be finicky, and she ate all of her chicken California croissant. The food is great here, the staff are attentive without hovering, prices are very reasonable. This restaurant is definitely in my Top 5.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Beer and decent meal2csodinersVIPDined on 1/24/2014The Bank has a nice selection of beers on tap. The waitress was attentive, knowledgeable, and a good sport. I had the pecan crusted pork loin, which wasn't bad, but seemed a little tough or undercooked. Two of our party had the arctic char and loved it. Although the restaurant was busy, we ate at a leisurely pace and did not feel rushed by the staff. Overall, we like The Bank as a place with decent food and a good beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice eveningcramsDined on 1/21/2014food was above average service lovely ambiance quaintSpecial Features:
- We had a very nice time andAndyDined on 1/18/2014We had a very nice time and the food was excellent. Our server was very knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Get TogetherJeanneDined on 1/13/2014Everything sounded good on the menu but we opted for the burgers. I had The Bank Burger which had a fried egg on top. There was even a vegetarian option for one of us! We shared the brownie a la mode with hot fudge sauce for dessert. The presentation was beautiful and the portion quite large but the brownie was dry.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerPatmanDined on 1/12/2014I don't remember our server's name but he was competent and professional without being stiff. Service was prompt and the surf and turf a real treat. We will b back for sure. Have already recommended the place to two peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and Music?goodmanDined on 12/31/2013We booked a table for 4 on New Year's Eve, partly because of the fact that there was music provided by a guitarist. I called the restaurant to confirm the menu, which hadn't been updated on the website. Also wanted to confirm that there was indeed live music. I needn't have bothered to ask about the music. There was no way that anyone seated anywhere except directly next to him could have heard him. What a waste! I was disappointed. Why not have a strolling guitarist that would stop at each table or something similar, especially on New Year's Eve. The food was delicious. We ordered 4 different things and each one was great. The appetizers were good too. Service was fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperienceAntonEgoDined on 12/31/2013Everything was excellent on New Year's Eve at The Bank. Service was friendly and courteous, the waitress was extremely helpful and nice, and the food was very good. We took our time, and the the restaurant accommodated us perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing New Year's EveJonBDined on 12/31/2013We were disappointed for many reasons. First, the bartender was waiting on a whole room of tables and he was not attentive. We both had the lobster bisque soup and it was good, but had to ask for bread. My wife ordered the halibut for her main course and I ordered the Wild Boar Rack. We found out at the end of dinner that all entrees were to come with a glass of Champagne but we were never offered any. The halibut was tough and completely dried out, I had to go to the host stand to ask for help as our waiter was no where to be found. The second firing of the halibut was much better. The table next to us also sent back the halibut. My dinner was ok, but also very dry and not worth the $123 total bill. It may have been our last visit.