221 Powell St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kuletos.com/
- Phone: 4153977720
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 10:30am;
Lunch / Dinner:
Daily: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Bob Helstrom
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Kuleto’s offers four beautiful private dining rooms to accommodate your Private Dining needs. All of our private rooms capture the elegance and ambiance that is unique to Kuleto’s. Each private room is decorated with traditional Italian artwork, elegant mirrors framed by rich mahogany walls and Pat Kuleto’s renowned, sophisticated lighting.
Kuleto’s is the perfect location for your private lunch, dinner or reception. The restaurant’s private dining rooms can accommodate groups as small as 10 and up to 72 for a seated dinner and 20 – 100 for a standing reception.
- Special Events: Join our newsletter and stay up to date! 2013 Meet The Maker wine series is our newest event. Meet the wine maker, try highly allocated wines and some wines so rare they never make it to the public market!
A word from Kuleto's
Kuleto's serves distinctive California ~ Italian cuisine featuring ingredients prepared in unusual combinations.Continued
The atmosphere is a combination of old San Francisco aura, Italian conviviality and contemporary vitality with high vaulted ceilings, genuine Italian marble floors with dark wood and warm lighting.
The atmosphere is a combination of old San Francisco aura, Italian conviviality and contemporary vitality with high vaulted ceilings, genuine Italian marble floors with dark wood and warm lighting.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Kuleto's reviews from OpenTable diners
362 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (148)special occasion (143)neighborhood gem (109)romantic (88)great for lunch (75)notable wine list (71)good for groups (62)vibrant bar scene (57)hot spot (41)great for brunch (29)late-night find (23)kid-friendly (17)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great for special occasionsPock3t4ceDined on 7/19/2014Kuletos was a fantastic place for my girlfriend and me. Miletus really hit the spot with their bread and options on the menu. We had the Risotto and the Tagliatelle for dinner. They were so good we barely had enough room for the house made Gelato for dessert. Pretty much everything is made in house, even their olive oil for bread which was incredibly light and worked perfectly with the bread. Overall, this place is perfect for a special night in the city.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceLynneDined on 7/19/2014This restrauant was great, delicious food, excellent service, and great ambience. I will go again.Special Features:
- Highs and lowsTrooperDined on 7/19/2014We began at the bar, with well made drinks and a friendly bartender. Our lunch reservation worked out well and we were quickly served tasty bread and had our drinks ordered. The radicchio appetizer the bartender recommended was spot on. Unfortunately I think they tried to time our calamari simultaneously and it was cold. We had to ask for water refills and they were quick to fill our glasses. The pastas we had were well prepared and delicious. We have been here many times and it is always dependable and worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillPDined on 7/18/2014We decided that we had enjoyed the restaurant in the past. We were not disappointed. The service was friendly, knowledgable and friendly. We were able to share a small pasta for a second course and the dinner was excellent. I would definitely recommend Kuleto's.Special Features:
- Great foodCannizzVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had dinner here a couple nights ago. Free wine tasting while we waited on our table was a nice touch. The food was great but service was spotty. I think we just got the wrong waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Bistro in Union SquareEatmyheartoutVIPDined on 7/17/2014Calamari and Tiramisu always the best! Great service and food delicious (try the fresh pasta and crab!!!) Always use it as a "stand by go to restaurant for out of town friends traveling via BART. Great meet up location. Seats at the Kitchen bar are fantastic! Talented folks working there. Terrific for groups of 16 or intimate dinners for 2.Special Features:
- Decent food in a prime locationrnormfotoDined on 7/15/2014You read about Kuleto's pretty much everywhere you ask and at nearly every hotel concierge. While very GOOD, it is a bit of an old school 'white table cloth waiter in a vest' type of place. If you're looking for something 'rustic' or with a more modern twist, this sin't the spot. That said, for a prime location right downtown, it's all in all very good (i DID have a rather quirky waiter which made for a somewhat strange dining experience, but that's another review!)Special Features:
- Solid restaurantWine4MeVIPDined on 7/15/2014You can't go wrong eating here. Food is good, service is good. Space is somewhat limited. And seating can be feel awkward if your place and isle area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!MarcusDined on 7/15/2014I live on the coast and when I took my wife on a 3 day getaway into the city, discovering this restaurant was the best find and wonderful surprise for my wife. The food was so good we had to eat there each night just to try the different foods. Good job Koletos!Special Features:
- My favorite!ShoshanaVIPDined on 7/14/2014Choosing a favorite restaurant in San Francisco is not an easy feat, but Kuleto's is definitely IT. Try the grilled radicchio salad -- I travel hundreds of miles for this dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Fran TripCindyDined on 7/13/2014I was very disappointed as heard it was a good restaurant. Food was mediocre, noise level high, felt like we were just another tourist being shoved through their reserva list. Would NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE. They need to up their game to make guests feel special This is San Fran. The home of good food.
- French/ Vietnamise restaurantBerkeleyDined on 7/12/2014Excellent food and service in restaurant close to Union Square. Authentic Franco=Vietnamise dishes with well priced wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bellissimo!FiorepianoDined on 7/12/2014We love this place. Eat here every time we are in SF. Close to our hotel and great food.Special Features:
- Good, not outstandingMiffedDined on 7/12/2014Our first time at Kuleto's, and given all I've heard about it, I expected much more than we got. We went for lunch. The waiter was pretty mechanical, nothing personal at all. His description of the halibut special failed to mention the slew of peppers that made it spicy (why does everyone always have to make things spicy?!). Had I known, I would have ordered something else. We picked the peppers out, the rest of it was good, not outstanding. The waiter never noticed we picked out the peppers (I noticed another diner nearby doing the same thing), amazing. I don't think we'll bother going back given the other good choices in the area.
- CasualSFResidentDined on 7/11/2014The food and service at Kuleto's were both above average but nothing that would make you feel like you were knocked off your feet. We were pretty surprised by the casual nature of the restaurant (mood, attire of other diners, etc.) considering the prices. It is a good place if you are visiting the city and looking for a good meal for the family.
- Great dinner spot near Union SquareLGFoodieDined on 7/11/2014We used to frequent Kuleto's at their location near SFO years ago. I was delighted to see they still have my favorite chocolate canolli on their menu. To my dismay, thought, I hadn't left enough room for dessert, and even then, it would have been hard to decide between canolli and their gelato, which sounded amazing. My server was very knowledgeable and attentive, but he also didn't miss a beat with any detail of his service to my table and any of the tables around me. In terms of the meal, the beet salad and the seafood risotto were perfectly executed, but for a second plate I think the risotto was probably a little large. Pricewise the portions made sense. We will be back, and next time we'll leave room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kuletos SFnvboundDined on 7/10/2014Perfect before theater dinner! Service, food and ambience were the start of a great evening. We were able to park and walk all within a couple of blocks of the Curran. The minestrone soup was flavorful, risotto and crab pasta dishes the perfect entree. Lovely atmosphere and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kuleto's serves fast food?JennyhsrVIPDined on 7/9/2014I love this restaurant and usually have a nice time there. Last week I dined there alone and felt very rushed. The waiter was very abrupt and while I was eating my appetizer, the entree arrived. When they saw I was still eating, they turned around and took it back. You guessed it, they held it under a heat lamp until I was ready for it. It was pasta pomodoro and while the flavor was okay, the texture of the tomatoes and pasta were not great. I didn't send it back as I just wanted to go home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice!YummyDined on 7/9/2014Being a Passport Member, we discovered Kuleto's and dined there for the second time. Delicious food, beautiful presentation, great service--and a fun evening! Can't wait to go back! Only downside is the noise level.Special Features:
- Consistency is the keyrogmadodgeVIPDined on 7/8/2014The grilled radicchio keeps us coming back and it's a great Starter to split . The halibut special was creative and perfectly prepared and salads always have the right touch And never overdressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was very disappointingkelleyVIPDined on 7/7/2014I have been to Kuletos a few times as the location near Union Square is helpful when you need to meet someone in that area. I typically go at lunch time for business purposes. The food has never been exciting but it has always been acceptable and you can have a comfortable conversation. However, this last time was abysmal. I ordered the chicken salad. The ingredients were basically mixed greens and what was supposed to be roasted chicken. The greens were so soggy I really couldn't eat them and the chicken was undercooked and while I think it was done enough to be safe to eat it was beyond tough. I didn't ask my guest about their food given the nature of our meeting but I noticed that she didn't eat much of her food either.
- Gr8eatsDined on 7/5/2014I love sitting in the booths, you get the action from the bar feeling like you are in the hub of activity. The food is excellent, tasty and beautifully presented. The waiter was knowledgeable,,efficient and friendly. All in all it was a great experience, I look forward to dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Good stuff once again. Like coming here whenever in San Francisco. Nice ambience, friendly staff, good food. Duck was very nice. Special appetizer of halibut-potato croquettes (my description) was excellent (anything fried...etc.)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/2/2014Kuletos is always great! The service is wonderful and attentive and we enjoy the breads and great menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobbyDined on 7/1/2014The food was very good...we had the halibut special and the chicken...the halibut was excellent, along with the fava beans and mushrooms. Attentive service too..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place to meet friendsSuzannaroseannaDined on 6/30/2014We recently hosted friends visiting from Taiwan and Kuletos was our dining venue of choice. First, the convenient location meant that all guests could get there easily via BART. The varied menu meant that there was something toothsome for everyone. The pleasant, attentive service and out of the way table meant that we could all catch up on the latest. Our entrees were all lovely and we enjoyed the seasonal treat of stuffed squash blossoms.Special Features:
- 4 of 52DineOutDined on 6/30/2014The combination of the food, decor, and service in both the restaurant and hotel was a fabulous experience. The price of the hotel was a deal and offset the slightly higher prices for the food in the restaurant. Related or not my stay was enhanced by the convenience and ambiance of them both. The service in the restaurant was pleasant and almost too attentive (we felt like we were being rushed at one point). The food was 4 of 5 stars. The meal my friend had was plated incorrectly in a big bowl and pushed all of the items together (mine was okay that way but served in the same giant bowl). Bread was delicious and drinks were comparable in price to surrounding establishments. I would recommend Kuleto's and indeed come back for a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kuleto FailSFDinerDined on 6/29/2014Kuleto's has gone far downhill since the last time I ate there, years ago. The first waitress was very nice but knew nothing of the wine list, and did not know to supply us with bread and water. It seemed as though she was given no training at all about any phase of working at a restaurant. Other waiters and waitresses wandered by, and some of them responded to our requests, but took no action until at least twenty minutes after we sat down. The ultimate waitress did a great job, but too late. I had told the greeter that our daughter would be joining us, and when she did he told her to go looking for us instead of showing her to our table. Her dish was bad, mine was mediocre, but my wife had no complaints about hers. Never will we go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceDwest20Dined on 6/28/2014The menu had plenty of different options. There is something for everyone. Food was amazing. Portion size was a little on the small size, might not be enough for some people, however my halibut was perfect for me. Service was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/28/2014We had been here before and had good food, but we were very diappointed in the service by both the bartender and our waiter. Neither were particularly attentive. The waiter did not stop back and ever even ask how our food was, and the bartender was quite unfriendly...not a good feature for a bartender. The food was good but we will not go back...too many other restaurants we can chose offer both food quality and friendly, good service.
- shirlVIPDined on 6/28/2014an excellent choice, especially one for before going to the theatre. the food was outstanding and the service gracious.Special Features:
- llandryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014I had never been to Kuletos and needed a nice lunch spot in Union Square to meet some good friends. It exceeded my expectations; the food was amazing and I loved the look and feel of the restaurant. I will absolutely come back!Special Features:
- Great service & great foodLosttexansDined on 6/27/2014We walked down Powell past bustling Union Square to find Kuletos on our first night in San Francisco. We were seated promptly (even though we were early for our reserved table). For starters we enjoyed the Tuna Crudo, the Bibb Lettuce salad (with a terrific light vinaigrette). My wife loved the halibut special, and I had the duck. we loved it.Special Features:
- Not great for non - pork eaters.misslacie82Dined on 6/27/2014We were given a gift card for here as a wedding gift. There wasn't enough non-pork dishes and vegetarian options. Services was exceptional and they do help you try and find something you can eat on the menu and will make changes to the items on the menu to accommodate you. The food we ordered was okay. The complimentary bread was great The dessert - tiramisu was amazing!!!! The salad was average and so was the vegetarian pasta. My husband said the chicken was alright. If I were to go again I would go for dessert only.Special Features:
- One of the best steaks we've had!YerfdogDined on 6/27/2014My daughter and I split the calamari, beet salad, penne special and the filet. The calamari came with a tasty marinara but was a bit overcooked as can happen all too often with calamari. The roasted beets with goat cheese was predictable but good. I really liked the penne with lamb sausage in a spicy red sauce. My daughter isn't much of a lamb fan so....... But the filet mignon with gorgonzola butter was outstanding! It came with mustard greens and rissoto which made for a great combo. The server was attntive and animated which was fun. Though the beets would have been a challenge without the flatware we took from an adjacent table.Special Features:
- DisappointedVeronicaVIPDined on 6/27/2014Food was flavorless as in not seasoned and they rely only on sauces with we're either to salty or to sweet. I hadn't been in years and was hoping to have a great dinner, very very disappointed. Not worth my hard earned money and yes I send my food back (duck) and then got special and it was worse. Took my Mom and her Short Rib meal was terrible she felt bad and didn't send back, we paid for what we had and went somewhere else to eat.
- Poor service. What's going on?Repeat5dinerVIPDined on 6/26/2014The service was really off and inexcusable for this restaurant. We only saw our waiter once, when he took our order. Food delivery was slow, had to ask where our orders are, despite the fact there were sufficient staff and the restaurant was not at full capacity. I had to request our dinning tap twice; could have walked out in discuss ! I have dined at Kuleto's many times and had good food and service.Special Features:
- Chose a bad time to dineOmnivoreDined on 6/25/2014We arrived at 7PM and it was very crowded and busy. Our waiter was rushed and the noise level was too loud for comfortable conversation. My entrée was great and the others liked theirs. Toward the end of the evening when the crowd had thinned, our waiter was more accessible, and the noise we figured out why many people love this place. Go early or late!
- Service slowKathyDined on 6/25/2014The service was very good but very slow in getting the food out to us. I had let it be known we had theater tickets when I made the reservation and the waiter knew but the entrees were not delivered to the table until 30 minutes before we had to leave. A bit hurried for a nice meal.Special Features:
- Not much flavorRandDined on 6/25/2014The food sounded great and was presented well. Very attractive and cooked perfectly (Halibut), but there was virtually no flavor. The waiter described it as coming with a lemon aioli, but the ailoli was suspiciously green and I detected no lemon. Very disappointing. The same can be said of the appetizer (yellow fin crudo). Simply lacked any flavor at all, even the tuna was bland. The wine was very good (Super Tuscan, $15/glass). If you decide to spend a $100 on dinner, with tip, I would look elsewhere. However, the huge glass room overlooking the hotel lobby is beautiful and may simply impress less sophisticated out-of-towners. It was also convenient for my purpose which was dinner before the theatre.Special Features: