120 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistroromano.com/
- Phone: 2159258880x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Bistro Romano provides off-site catering & theme parties for 25 to 2500.
- Entertainment: Piano Bar Friday & Saturday; Mystery Dinner Theater Friday & Saturday - Must call 215-238-1313 for Mystery Theatre tickets.
- Cross Street: Between Front and 2nd
- Public Transit: Septa: 40 Bus, 57 Bus
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Parking Meters are free after 5pm on Wednesday nights . Discounted parking at Park America Garage at 215 Lombard Street: Sunday-Thursday $6, Friday and Saturday $15. Acquire parking pass from hostess.
A word from Bistro Romano
This Historic Landmark, nestled in an 18th century granary, will stimulate your senses with an ambiance of candlelight and casual elegance while creating an unforgettable dining experience. Wine Spectator Award for our wine list! Voted a “Best of Philly” Restaurant, guests enjoy Bistro Romano’s acclaimed Regional Italian Cuisine and rave of the award-winning Caesar Salad prepared tableside and the romantic underground wine cellar for two. Please call for Wine Cellar and Mystery Theatre reservations. We are now celebrating our 25th year! Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence (Two Glasses). Over 750 wine selections, including 20 by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bistro Romano - Best Restaurants in Society Hill ›
Bistro Romano reviews from OpenTable diners
235 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (185)special occasion (139)neighborhood gem (110)notable wine list (99)fit for foodies (81)good for groups (42)hot spot (16)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (12)scenic view (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- A special place for a special mealPhillyAmyDined on 7/30/2014Our go-to place for a special meal in the neighborhood. Food and service is very good, consistently!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bene bistro!foodiefamilyDined on 7/30/2014Took my work team to work here and everyone loved what they got - and we got everything from the duck to the lobster ravioli and paired a delicious Rosso di Montalcino with it. We were there for WOW Wednesday and enjoyed an appetizer, a main and a dessert for only $33 per person and that's quite the deal for the amount of good food we ate.Special Features:
- Will be back againAsk43Dined on 7/28/2014We have been going there for many years. Each time we were happy with the food and the service. We liked it so much so we booked our daughter's wedding rehearsal dinner there two years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/27/2014The Caesar salad is tops in Philly. The gnocchi with duck ragout - the portion was tremendous and the gnocchi were so light and delicious; the ragout was very flavorful. I had the crispy duck entree; it was a tad dry but the accompaniments were very moist and delicious with provided a nice balance. The duck itself was delicious - nice and crispy. My wife had pollo ripieno and she said the flavors were delicious but again it was just a tad dry, it could have used some type of sauce or broth. Our waitress Rosie was excellent and attentive. The atmosphere was quite beautiful and stunning, yet still felt very friendly and casual. We really enjoyed our meal and even made friends with the next table over. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!TomasDined on 7/26/2014Took my girlfriend here on a Saturday night. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere was very rustic and romantic. Will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little hidden gemPMPerformanceDined on 7/26/2014We were looking for a decently priced dinner with good reviews in the city. This was the only place we saw that fit the bill and had great reviews. I put on my reservation we would prefer quiet/romantic seat and they gave us a great seat in the catacombs with rose petals on the table and lot candle. The service was excellent and very prompt. The food was incredible!!! I got a veal dish with mashed potatoes and broccoli Raab which was very tender and perfectly complimented with cheese. My wife got a chicken and pasta dish that was equally as amazing. All in all this was a perfect place to eat a great dinner at a great price without the city primium.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food, and more!mdcbkDined on 7/23/2014Dined here with my family on a tourist trip to Philly. Meals were excellent, wine and beer choices were abundant, wait staff was attentive, and atmosphere (in the cellar of an historic building) was just what we were looking for. The bar on the main floor was unique. Would also be great for a romantic dinner- there's even a secluded table strewn with rose petals in the wine cellar. My daughter left her purse at the table and didn't realize until we were 2 hours away. The restaurant searched for, found, and mailed her purse to our home (completely intact). Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first impression of PhillyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Was traveling for work with my fiance, and we wanted to go somewhere nice for his birthday after flying in on a Tuesday evening. The old cellar feeling with the art and the spiral staircase really made an impression. The service was excellent, despite me screwing up my groupon redemption. It was hard to pick what to order but we both enjoyed perfectly portioned pasta dinners and even had room for desert, which does not usually happen. I definitely recommend walking around the area and the water front while you are before or after. My one complaint was that I wasn't a fan of the darkness/ orangish lighting. It is such a beautiful place more light would have allowed us to see it all better.Special Features:
- NickVIPDined on 7/22/2014Bistro Romano is special. From the greetings on arrival to the good byes....first class. Food is simply superb. Don't miss the Caesar salad...its special. Wine list is extensive. If you want to make a special romantic night of it.....reserve the wine cellar!Special Features:
- RosinaVIPDined on 7/22/2014Bistro Romano is a mainstay that is consistently excellent.Special Features:
- outstandingluv2eatDined on 7/21/2014Great ambiance. The food was outstanding. The service was very professional and accessible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelVIPDined on 7/20/2014Not sure what they are thinking here. Overpriced for what you get and frankly the service is horrible. Somebody there needs to teach the servers about timing of courses. Took almost 40 minutes between appetizers and main course. Our glasses sat empty for most of the meal except of course for the wine which flowed steadily. We asked for a glass of "house cab" when the check came we learned that the "house cab" we had was $18 dollars a glass which we know is not correct. It is also way too dark in this place. The food is good but the portions are small. Very obvious that everything is over priced for what you get and the service is really lacking.
- Unique Atmospheredinereview14Dined on 7/19/2014We decided to dine at Bistro Romano based on the positive online reviews. Upon arrival we were seated right away and our waiter was very attentive. We sat in the main section of the dining area which was very nice. The atmosphere had a nice unique flavor that was casual and romantic. Live piano music could be heard from the bar area. The food was good, but in comparison to some of the other Philadelphia area restaurants it was not gourmet. The calamari appetizer and the variety of wines by the glass were disappointing. Bistro Romano was given several awards by Wine Spectator so I was surprised that they did not have a better selection of wines by the glass. The specialty cocktail drinks were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncrediblePhillyfoodguyDined on 7/18/2014Top notch all the way around! Service, cuisine, drinks, everything is amazing. Truly a society hill gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic but select Italian dish!townsendDined on 7/17/2014The ambience and staff are outstanding !made reservations for six, but arrived early so that we could enjoy happy hour. Bartender was very accommodating but we were surprised that there weren't munchies for happy hour (pic was deceiving). We were offered two mini pates. We loved the romantic seating in cellar and our servers and bus sees. Wine list is extensive! Disappointed with our food choices should have opted for Italian dishes rather than duck ( I like it w apricot or cherry sauce for a tad sweeter taste) and got served filet in a bowl! Loved the table side Caesar. All in all the epitome of romantic atmosphere w excellent service but food didnot quite match expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGroovypizzaDined on 7/16/2014Awesome, this is the second time here and definitely not the last. Cannot disappoint anybodySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFerhadDined on 7/16/2014The food and ambiance was amazing. I will def come back when I visit this city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehhhhDillyDined on 7/16/2014I ordered two bottles of wine, they didn't have either which is not a problem, but each time it took 5-10 minutes for them to let me know. Sausage stuffed musroom was undercooked and my meal was pedestrian at best. They also own and operate a broken espresso machine which is great.Special Features:
- ChrisCDined on 7/16/2014Celebrating my son's 35th birthday, table of 6. Great food and service. Really enjoyed the Caesar salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!CStabDined on 7/15/2014Food and service was great. Perfect for that future romantic date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very romantic and great serviceDinerman5Dined on 7/14/2014I asked them to make the table romantic for my friend and I, and all I was expecting was a candlelight and some nice seating, but they went to full mile and even put rose petals all over the table. Food was just as delicious. The staff even remember that I was vegetarian and accommodated me properly. I'd deff recommend this place to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodBrooklyngirlDined on 7/12/2014Good food and great service. I liked the idea of the ambience they're going for but need less plastic plants and a little sprucing up.
- great food , fair serviceNewjerseynana5Dined on 7/12/2014as always the food was fabulous, however, after many years dining at Bistro Romano, this was the first time the service was less than stellar. Started with the bar tender who apparently was new. made a good drink, but didn't offer us napkins finally gave us coasters. There were no seats at the bar due to a show that was performaning in the up stairs room. It was tiring standing at the bar waiting for our table. Our waiter in the dining room was nice but had to be reminded of foods we ordered, he gave us our salads first, then the soup which came as we were trying to eat.Special Features:
- boatersdelightDined on 7/12/2014the manager Anthony was very accommodating and gracious also our waiter Andrew couldn't do more for us. We will return with friendsSpecial Features:
- Chicago Visiter, Amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014We chose this establisment because our hotel was down the street. We are from Chicago and are used to great italian food. This place is better then anything we have in Chicago. All home made and prices right. Spent $35 for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceTrishDined on 7/6/2014We've been going to Bistro Romano for years, but it's not often since we need to travel into the city to do so. But if you happen to live nearby, go often. It's a wonderful place. It hits all the marks, and has provided consistent quality. They even have special event dinners and wine tastings which we plan to try and attend one of these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different resturant on Sunday.SaintsFan1Dined on 7/6/2014We have been to Bistro Romano many times over the last 10 to 12 years because we love the Restaurant, food, and service. However this past experience was the first on a Sunday night and least pleasurable and not worth the price. The Salad and food was generally not as good.Special Features:
- AnnieDined on 7/2/2014In the many times I and companions have dined at Bistro Romano we have never had bad service or an unenjoyable food. I can not recommend it highly enough. The waitstaff are thoroughly trained and very knowledgeable. I continue to eat there and enjoy what this restaurant has to offer in superior food, admoshphere and waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumsparta802Dined on 6/30/2014Always delicious food, great service and atmosphere. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint setting, good fooddabradVIPDined on 6/29/2014Our server Roseann was very knowledgeable about the menu. She informed us the Gnocchi was homemade. It was in a duck ragu and very good. The restaurant setting and bar were unique. I would eat here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/29/2014The gnocchi with Duck ragut is fantastic as is the house made caeser salad. We wil be back again.Special Features:
- Consistently GreatJerzeyjoeDined on 6/29/2014I've been coming here since the late 90s. I've eaten here more than any other restaurant in Philadelphia- or anywhere else. Bistro Romano is consistently great. Quality, freshness, portions are all superb. Try their seafood bisque if they have it. It's phenomenal! I'm especially fond of their red sauce. Bistro Romano is my favorite Italian restaurant- period!Special Features:
- Summer Sizzling DinnerFunNiteVIPDined on 6/28/2014Our party of 4 visited Bistro Romano on a Saturday night in June and selected the Summer Sizzling Menu. The food and service was excellent. We had an enjoyable night and would recommend this restaurant. On a side note, there was a private event being held on the main floor so the noise level was energetic.Special Features:
- AmazingTerrificVIPDined on 6/28/2014What a terrific place. Start to finish, from being seated through dessert - a great dinner experience. Get the table side Caesar. Awesome. Terrific wine list and Bistro-specialty drinks. Well executed entrees and firing and delivery of multi courses was done just right. Even on a busy night we did not feel rushed. And the layout. Wow. A cool space. Like having dinner in a century old wine cellar, or an old European hideaway. Very cool. A bit pricey but not overly so. Worth it in any case. PS Be sure to view the wood structure over the bar on the main floor and ask about it. A neat story behind it.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood SpotCarolDined on 6/27/2014In a City where "good" isn't good enough, Bistro Romano is really terrific. Great food and nice atmosphere. We go there frequently.Special Features:
- BirthdayJFlashVDined on 6/25/2014Celebrated my birthday (with a coupon for a free dinner, they send me one every year) with a quiet dinner for two. The food was excellent from appetizer to dessert. It was the best dinner I've had at any restaurant in a long time, and I eat out 4 or 5 times a month. It's a shame it's located in Philly which I generally avoid because of the local hostility to automobiles and severe lack of reasonably priced parking.Special Features:
- Love this place!sparta802Dined on 6/25/2014We've never been disappointed! Consistently delicious food and service, great candlelight atmosphere. Everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly Best Caesar SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/25/2014My girlfriend and I took my mom here for her birthday because we always make fun of her for always getting a Caesar salad or something else simple like that wherever we go. I had read that Bistro Romano is known for having the best Caesar salad in the city, and people weren't wrong! The rest of the food was really great too, but every ingredient that the waiter put in the salad right next to the table stood out on its own so well. Our waiter himself was very accommodating as well: he had actually dished out the salad a little too generously to the first three of us, so he quickly made another whole salad for my dad to be fair. I would easily recommend this to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1079 reviews are from the Bistro Romano reviews archive.
- Saturday night date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014On Saturday we went to busy to Romano for the second time. The service was not nearly as good as our first visit. I had a fish entree which came with mussels. The odor smelled like the Atlantic ocean. I didn't send it back but the waiter didn't even question why my entire entree was basically untouched.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiancefritzle123Dined on 6/21/2014First time visiting this restaurant. We went with friends. The bar area was fantastic and the restaurant downstairs was unique and quite pleasing. The service was excellent and everyone was very attentive. While the food was good, but it was expensive in relation to the amount that was served. We ordered two appetizers to split between four of us, and there was barely enough for everyone to get one bite of each. And don't forget that you have to pay to park - although the restaurant validates your parking ticket for the garage one block away, we still had to pay $18 (instead of the $25 that it would have been). Overall I thought it was good, but would probably opt to try other places in the area before returning here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.