120 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistroromano.com/
- Phone: 2159258880x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Bistro Romano provides off-site catering & theme parties for 25 to 2500.
- Entertainment: Piano Bar Friday & Saturday; Mystery Dinner Theater Friday & Saturday - Must call 215-238-1313 for Mystery Theatre tickets.
- Cross Street: Between Front and 2nd
- Public Transit: Septa: 40 Bus, 57 Bus
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Parking Meters are free after 5pm on Wednesday nights . Discounted parking at Park America Garage at 215 Lombard Street: Sunday-Thursday $6, Friday and Saturday $15. Acquire parking pass from hostess.
A word from Bistro Romano
This Historic Landmark, nestled in an 18th century granary, will stimulate your senses with an ambiance of candlelight and casual elegance while creating an unforgettable dining experience. Wine Spectator Award for our wine list! Voted a “Best of Philly” Restaurant, guests enjoy Bistro Romano’s acclaimed Regional Italian Cuisine and rave of the award-winning Caesar Salad prepared tableside and the romantic underground wine cellar for two. Please call for Wine Cellar and Mystery Theatre reservations. We are now celebrating our 25th year! Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence (Two Glasses). Over 750 wine selections, including 20 by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bistro Romano - Best Restaurants in Society Hill ›
Bistro Romano reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (161)special occasion (116)neighborhood gem (102)notable wine list (88)fit for foodies (70)good for groups (39)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (7)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Saturday night date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014On Saturday we went to busy to Romano for the second time. The service was not nearly as good as our first visit. I had a fish entree which came with mussels. The odor smelled like the Atlantic ocean. I didn't send it back but the waiter didn't even question why my entire entree was basically untouched.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiancefritzle123Dined on 6/21/2014First time visiting this restaurant. We went with friends. The bar area was fantastic and the restaurant downstairs was unique and quite pleasing. The service was excellent and everyone was very attentive. While the food was good, but it was expensive in relation to the amount that was served. We ordered two appetizers to split between four of us, and there was barely enough for everyone to get one bite of each. And don't forget that you have to pay to park - although the restaurant validates your parking ticket for the garage one block away, we still had to pay $18 (instead of the $25 that it would have been). Overall I thought it was good, but would probably opt to try other places in the area before returning here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and atmospherDaveMDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I have dined at BR on 3 separate occasions. Each time the service was great and the food outstanding. From the appetizers, of course the Caesar's salad, entrees and dessert, everything is top notch. Would recommend to anyone looking for a nice place to have dinner with family our a significant other. 5 STARS!!Special Features:
- HappyDiner1VIPDined on 6/20/2014Bistro Romano never disappoints. The service is unfailingly professional, the food well prepared and the selection of menu choices varied, with a very nice touch of having separate gluten free and other allergy-sensitive listings for certain items. The wine list is extensive and many varieties are available by the glass as well as by the bottle. There is often a pianist in the upstairs bar whose musical is audible - pleasantly so - in the lower level seating area. Successful for several decades and it is easy to see why - you don't go home hungry, the owner and staff care that you enjoy the food and the experience, the food is well prepared and served and the price range is reasonable. Always a pleasure to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!GAMGDined on 6/18/2014Food is off the charts, server staff is excellent, ambiance is very romantic.Special Features:
- Amazing food!FoodieWineVegetarianDined on 6/14/2014The food was out of this world! My husband and I were so pleased. The service however was not formal and no etiquette was followed, our original 3 wine choices were not available, and the overall service was rushed. I would go back for the food, but don't expect 5 star service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMyexperienceDined on 6/14/2014Im a big history buff and this place was so fascinating! The food was perfect i couldn't have asked for a better experience. If your in the neighborhood you have to check this place outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, romantic, exceptionFoodluverVIPDined on 6/11/2014Bistro Romano is one of our favorite go-to restaurants for special occasions. It is usually quiet and romantic, as it was on this occasion, allowing us to have a conversation without being drowned out by loud music and noisy groups, as is so often the case these days. We highly recommend Bistro Romano for excellent Italian food, impeccable service and fine ambience.Special Features:
- Worth It Every TimeNVADinersDined on 6/6/2014Every time we go to Philadelphia, which is about twice per year, we make it a point to go to Bistro Romano. It has never let us down. Be sure to ask for Nolan as your waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, as always!AndorraGirlDined on 6/5/2014We have always had a wonderful meal at Bistro Romano. ALWAYS !! I love the Cobb Salad. It's huge, so you can share it. The service is exceptional. ALWAYS!! Love it.Special Features:
- Charming bistroPedroVIPDined on 6/1/2014We had a lovely dinner experience at the Bistro Romano. It's a cHarming bistro in an old historical building serving very good Italian fare. The crispy duck was fabulous, as was the Caesar salad prepared at the table.Special Features:
- Our FavoriteWillcomebacksoonDined on 5/31/2014Outstanding Italian dishes in a great historical buildingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun surroundings,mediocre foodMimiDined on 5/31/2014Interesting to look at with exposed brick, but this is a restaurant to go to for drinking Manhattans and Rye and soda, and getting a boring and gooey piece of chicken with a side of mushy spaghetti. Service wasn't stellar wither. A shame. maybe at some point they'll upgrade from the 1960s
- Great atmosphere not so great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2014We loved the feel and ambiance of the place, lighting perfect in the cellar. Live pianist at the bar. All very nice but we were not pleased with the food and I have to say, we are not tough to please. Table side Caesar salads were the best part of the meal. Ordered an app portion of risotto as it is a favorite of ours and it really was bland and flavorless. Veal saltimboca was so overpowered with sage, it was hard to eat. Chicken bracciole....had sort of a sweet and sour flavor going....really strange. Service good. I would not bother to go back; there is just too much great food in the area....I just don't know what is going on with this place.Special Features:
- Always great food and service!Ajh714VIPDined on 5/30/2014I'll be back! I had the sea bass entree which was amazing. Also, tiramisu is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian food and settingDanMeetsFoodVIPDined on 5/28/2014Lovely basement dining room transports you to another place and time. Great pastas, generous portions, and superb kids offerings.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2014I have been to this restaurant before and everything was amazing! This past experience didn't go as well. We could never find our waitress. We had to ask other staff members to order, get our drinks etc. It took a significant amount of time between each course for our food to arrive. In fact our appetizers was warm when it was supposed to be served cold. The food wasn't as good as it was in the past. And the wait staff was below mediocre. Overall this experience wasn't good for us. And I'm not sure we would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special birthday at Bistro RomanoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/28/2014I took my wife to Bistro Romano to celebrate her birthday and what an excellent choice it was!! We arrived an hour before our reservation to have cocktails at the bar and the bartender was wonderful. I believe his name was Ryan or Brian. The gave us an appetizer on the house while we enjoyed our cocktails which was a very nice treat. Our dinner was spectacular!! I would highly recomend Bistro Romano for any special occasion or just for dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and DeliciousGMRCAMVIPDined on 5/27/2014Bistro Romano is a beautiful place, with a lovely, antique and wood bar and candlelit dining room. My dining companion has special food restrictions and the waiter and the chef were very accommodating. Our dinners were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2014I have been here many times and Bistro Romano never fails. Our party of four were seated right away. The servers were attentive but not overly so. The specials for the evening absolutely wowed the table. The Tilapia, Swordfish and Pasta with Lamb Ragout were phenomenal. The meat eater in our group loved the Filet Mignon. If you want a great meal in a beautiful setting, then you must visit Bistro Romano.Special Features:
- Dinner for threeScubasamVIPDined on 5/24/2014Enjoyed the food. Menu has interesting choices. Service was a bit slow. Our food was served almost an hour after we were seated. Waiter had an off night. Forgot to bring our espresso with dessert. It happens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always exceptionalhave2bmeVIPDined on 5/23/2014Our waiter, Nolan, was absolutely amazing. We had great food and wine and would absolutely suggest dining at Bistro Romano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro RomanoNamtrekDined on 5/23/2014Five stars for atmosphere service and food. A quiet romantic little place with reasonably priced fare and wonderful service. Now one of our favorite places and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1055 reviews are from the Bistro Romano reviews archive.
- Always a pleasureDonnaPDined on 5/19/2014It is always a pleasure to eat at this restaurant. The service is great and the food is even better!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerCityfoodie979Dined on 5/18/2014My husband and I celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary at Bistro Romano (where we had our first date). We arrived to a table covered in rose petals and heard "Happy Anniversary" all night from the staff! We had an excellent dinner and dessert was on them! We felt like we received very special treatment on our very special day. We love Bistro Romano and like the idea of going there every year for our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014My husband and I dined here because the reviews were good and it looked like an interesting place. The ambiance was good but our waiter wasn't very friendly and the food was only average. We dined at the Olive Garden the next night and it was better! Perhaps just an off night?
- StevenDined on 5/17/2014Bistro Romano has been one of my favorite restaurants for more than twenty years. A special place!Special Features:
- Great Find!sjonesDined on 5/17/2014Found this restaurant by accident. Since finding Bistro Romano, I don't want to go anywhere else! Friendliest staff. Incredible young manager. They really know how to make your dining experience a real experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereAsattDined on 5/17/2014Loved the romantic, old style decor. The food was delicious and was reasonably portioned. I recommend the swordfish. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodGardengirlDined on 5/16/2014Party of 9 for our daughters graduation and everyone raved about their meal!gaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexandreDined on 5/16/2014Excellent service and great wine list. Last time we went, the food was not up to par with prices. Not for foodies Large quantities though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good and not-so-goodVT2000Dined on 5/15/2014My wife and I visited last week to celebrate our anniversary. The atmosphere inside was nice - the old masonry walls, exposed beams, and unique bar area was nice. Our server was great - however, a few things occurred that soured our overall experience. First, the wine we ordered took probably 20 minutes to arrive - and we did not have water in the meantime to drink. Second, we noticed a tootsie roll size piece of glass under our bread plate (the manager ended up giving us free desserts). Third, late in the evening, the young wait staff were loitering near the kitchen and occasionally using profanity. Two of them appeared to be a couple and seemed to be all over each other. Made us a bit uncomfortable. Even the server said something to them.Special Features:
- Great place for a graduation dinnerdinnerout14VIPDined on 5/14/2014We reserved Bistro Romano for a graduation dinner based on the reviews. They lived up to everything. Delicious food and outstanding service. Noise level was perfect for us to hear everyone at our large table. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Bravo to Bistro Romanoluv2eatVIPDined on 5/11/2014This Philly gem serves creative Italian dishes in a charming, old world setting. The Caesar Salad is the best we've ever had. The veal dishes combine ingredients that you would not expect to complement one another as well as they do. The shellfish was fresh and not overcooked and the veggies were cooked just until tender. We shared the Tiramisu and still had some to take home. The wine list is extensive,, with many good choices served by the glass. Terrific cappuccino topped off our meal. Loved this restaurant.Special Features:
- Mom Day 2014Fatbozo1Dined on 5/11/2014Late lunch day for mom's day.We were a group of 6 and we're seated in the bar area up stairs....not an ideal location. Even the server noted that they usually seat downstairs so this was something a little different since the kitchen is downstairs. Great wine selection but somewhat pricey given the choices. Ordered 4 different appetizers...all excellent. Six different entrees did not disappoint. Great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, but not what we expectedjtcarboniDined on 5/11/2014We picked this restaurant based on the high reviews (4+) on multiple web sites. However, it was only fair, and definitely not worth the price.
- Always a great experiencejohndsmileyDined on 5/10/2014Good food and good service. Table side Caesar Salad is a treat to watch prepared and to eat. Veal and Chicken parm and no longer on the menu, but they will make it for you if you request.Special Features:
- A good niteAfoodEVIPDined on 5/10/2014this place has never disappointed me. they have a good selection on their menu, good wine list, and a very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Italian gemventure99Dined on 5/10/2014Have been there three times...LOVE IT! I tell all of my friends about it. The table side Caesar salad is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Family Dinner!CJHawaiiDined on 5/10/2014We enjoyed a great family dinner with 11 guests on a Saturday night, and on Mother's Day weekend. Seating was a little tight due to our group size and the general size of the dining room, but it also made it very cozy and it felt like a true family dinner! The atmosphere in the dining area downstairs was alive and energetic. Our server was friendly and very helpful throughout the evening. Food was great and so was the wine! Would definitely dine at Bistro Romano again the next time we are in Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.