50 Dalton St.
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summershackrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6178679955x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday thru Friday 11:30pm-4:00pm
Dinner Monday thru Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday Dinner is served 5:00pm-11:00pm, Saturday Dinner is served all day 11:30am-11:00pm, Sunday Dinner is all day 11:30am-10:00pm
Happy Hour at the bar only Monday thru Friday 4:00-6:30pm and Sunday all day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Dell Leandro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have full service catering division and will travel all over New England. Our mobile Clambake on Wheels trailer allows us to bring our famous New England clambake to you. We also offer a wide variety of other types of menus.
- Special Events: Happy Hour at the bar ONLY 4:00-6:30pm Monday thru Friday featuring a $5.00 appetizer menu.
A word from Summer Shack
The Summer Shack is a fun, casual restaurant, specializing in New England Style Seafood. We offer 10 to 12 different types of oysters daily. Lobsters in varying sizes and styles including our signature clambake. Wonderful local grilled fish and crispy fried seafood. We do offer several non-seafood items as well. Steaks, burgers and award winning fried chicken. We are a children friendly restaurant and we can accommodate larger groups upon request.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Summer Shack - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Summer Shack reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (71)kid-friendly (44)neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (34)great for lunch (27)special occasion (14)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)romantic (1)Show More
- A Summer shack returnOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2013It's been at least 10 years since I've been to Summer Shack with many fond memories of prior visits. I try to get my "lobstah" fix whenever returning to New England and this time wasn't any different. We had an assortment of appetizers including the clam chowdah and the mixed seafood stew with Saffron Tomato Broth followed by the Wood Grilled lobstah! Great food! Focus on seafood in this place! That's what you're there for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sjfSharonDined on 12/15/2013Pleasant evening with good food and a great bartender - Sun, Dec. 15, 2013.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CasualOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013This place was great for a casual dinner. The food was alright- not mind blowing but still enjoyable. The sweet potato fries and the wine were the big pluses - I could have just eaten those all night!Special Features:
- From the outside looks likeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/6/2013From the outside looks like it could be a dive but once inside the place has a nice appearance. By no means fancy, but has a comfortable feel. Reminds me an outdoor beach area seafood restaurant. Service is attentive but not over-bearing. Food is very good and prices are reasonable. For a casual dinner it is an excellent choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At the fringe of the diningFWEbostonDined on 11/23/2013At the fringe of the dining "desert" a.k.a. the Symphony Hall district, this outpost of Jasper's chain offers good variety, interesting preparations, and decent value. Noise level makes conversation a challenge, but for some that's what they ordered. One of the minority of restos to make the effort to print their specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and affordableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2013I got their "be good to yourself special", which is a great gluten free special. I had the bluefish and it was deliciously spicy.Special Features:
- SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2013Hard to beat for fresh seafood listed on the blackboard. Great fresh bluefish, Wish mackerel would have appeared. Choice of oysters on the half-shell was outstanding. Well-made cocktails, good wine list, very good draught beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobstomatic!jerseyfoodieVIPDined on 10/27/2013I had the pan roasted lobster...I cannot say enough about the preparation. It was decadent, messy, and delicious! There was a nice pinot noir on their wine list which made for a fine pairing with my lobster. The corn on the cob was simple and delicious as well. Great place as far as theme too...I was afraid it would be too touristy and over the top...instead it was just vibrant and fun!Special Features:
- Crowded, average serviceDavidVIPDined on 10/26/2013Really just not much better than Red Lobster. Food was good, but not great. Waiter (truthfully) had never opened a bottle of wine before - we had to show him how. Crowded with kids. Tables too small for a decent seafood meal.
- Great as UsualSuburbanguyintocityDined on 10/24/2013A short cab ride from Fenway before the second world series game... Summer Shack was great as usual. Took a little longer to get a her..they ran out of glasses? Had the Portugese stew special..spicy and terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodMarlenCDined on 10/19/2013Hi, We have been to the Summer Shack before and it is a favorite place to visit while in Boston. The atmosphere is fun, casual and lively. The food is just fabulous - best fish place. It is an easy walk from lots of hotels and is close enough to the Symphony to eat there before a show. Definitely try Summer Shack!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableSorelyDisappointedDined on 10/18/2013The Summer Shack was a fun place to eat and drink. The only negative was that we had the steamers and they were quite sandy....dipping them in the clam juice....dipping them in the butter....not dipping them in anything....it really didn't matter, we couldn't get the sand off. Other than that we all had a good time.Special Features:
- Fabulous Dinner with FriendsBonnieDined on 10/16/2013Food was TERRIFIC. Almost everyone ordered a different meal, and all raved about the food. Service was perfect, and it was our waiter's first night! The oysters were delicious. It really couldn't have been better! Highly recommend Summer Shack!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is fantastic servicetonywestDined on 10/12/2013Food is fantastic service is only mediocre I guess our server was in a hurry to leave she didn't inform us that kitchen was closing so we couldn't have desertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world Crab!CalDavisAggieVIPDined on 10/9/2013There special pan fried lobster with bourbon butter sauce was spectacular!Special Features:
- Fishy, fun and friendlyVeniceVIPDined on 10/7/2013Really enjoyed our experience here. Food is super fresh and delicious. Crab cakes the best I've ever had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok Food, Mediocre Servicevyl88Dined on 10/5/2013Overall food was decent, a little pricey for what it was. Cute atmosphere and decor, careful if you sit near the lobster tank, it can be a splash zone. Service was horrible, our waitress had blinders on and barely interacted with us except to take our order and give us our bill. I think it was just our server as the others seemed attentive enough.Special Features:
- Go there !Sly2Dined on 10/4/2013Great food, ambience, service and friendly staff .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual and good dinnerkelsh22VIPDined on 9/27/2013We enjoyed our dinner at summer shack. We met our son and his roommates. All enjoyed the experience. The boys said the portions were small, but all said the food was good. The lobster pot stickers were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the WaitbruhahaDined on 9/21/2013We had been to the Cambridge Summer Shack many times, expected good fish and circus-tent ambience. But despite the less-than-appealing neighborhood and unassuming sidewalk entrance, the interior is actually pretty cool, really well laid out. The food was quite good -- my grilled salmon and her crab cakes were both pretty darn good. There was a delay in the kitchen on this Saturday night which had some other diners registering complaints -- but we were in no rush. Yeah, it took too long, and we never did get any bread (despite being promised it was was on its way, twice), but we'll give the place a break and try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/15/2013I was in Boston for only a few days and Summer Shack was near my hotel. I love lobster so of course tried it at several restaurants. At Summer Shack I ordered a 2lb wood-grilled lobster (just over $50 the day I was there). It was fantastic - best I've had in Boston or anywhere else for that matter. It was cooked melt-in-your-mount perfectly. The tail was split and stuffed with a decent stuffing. The claws were huge and oh so good. It was served with corn on the cob, which was also cooked nicely. For dessert I had the bananas foster, which was also very good.Special Features:
- Very casualCatherineprovVIPDined on 9/15/2013I used to love the Summer Shack locations. The crab chowder isn't what I thought it would be. Not very good. Group had crab club which was good. Salads were all good and a few had the burger which they said was fine. Wine list expensive for this kind of establishment. Service was fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer Shack is the place to go!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2013Great dinner at Summer Shack! Don't miss the lobster potstickers - they are delicious. We had the pan roasted lobster and the crab legs and everything was amazing! Service was phenomenal - can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ya Gotta Have The LobstaBajeDined on 9/12/2013Fun restaurant for an evening lobster (or other seafoods) at a reasonable price. Tables covered by brown paper for ease of splashing your meal with lobster crackers. Quick service. Light, touristy ambiance. Corn on the cob not as remarkable as the lobster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was fine . . .artsnmindsDined on 9/12/2013My out of town guest wanted lobster and this was the first place I thought of. We made reservations about 15 minutes prior to arrival. Without asking our preference, the hostess seated us in the bar area, at a high table - not optimal for those with experienced legs. We quickly asked to be reseated at a table and were accommodated Service was fair, with different people taking our order, bringing our meals and removing the dishes. It was difficult to get our server's attention at times, though we didn't need much help. A personal peeve - when the server arrives and asks who had which dish. With only 2 people, the restaurant should be able to arrange the tray in advance. I'll return, but not as often as I'm sure Jasper would like.Special Features:
- Fantastic Pan Seared LobsterStephDined on 9/9/2013The restaurant was dead on a Monday night at 6:30 which made me suspicious. Summer Shack was clean and had a nice vibe although the staff was not overly friendly but certainly not rude. Nothing to complain about but noting note worthy as well. What is worth writing about is the pan seared lobster. As a life long Southern California resident, I have been eating lobster for about 40 years now and this was excellent! A nice diversion from steamed lobster and drawn butter but not too far off the path that the sauce made the natural lobster taste was overwhelming. I would go back again just for this lobster. The lobster wonton's were also excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot. I've eaten herecoinmanDined on 9/2/2013Great spot. I've eaten here before and this visit was bit off. Food fantastic (although a tiny bit pricey)as always. But service was lackadaisical and spotty, forgot one of our appetizers and periods of in attention. But I would still recommend . The pan roasted lobster is phenomenal .Special Features:
- Good Seafood Near Pru CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/30/2013It's a fun joint - great shellfish - interesting beers. Real New England feel. Beats the seafood chains.Special Features:
- Restaurant week lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2013My friend and I chose the Summer Shack for lunch during Restaurant Week because the choices were the most appealing to us. I had the fried calamari, crab cake sandwich, and cheesecake. They were all very good. My firend had the gaspacho, shrimp po boy, and key lime pie. Although she enjoyed the entree and dessert, she didn't care for the gaspacho. She said it was bland and a little bit on the grainy side. It wasn't what she expected. On the whole, the food and service were very good. I liked the selection of music as well. Quite a few songs from the '80's which is my favorite decade for music.Special Features:
- Great place!!VinAm10Dined on 8/26/2013I went on a Monday night with 5 family members (2 children-4 adults). It was restaurant week so there was a 4 course meal added to the menu, which was nice to sample various items on the menu. Between all adults there was a wide range of seafood on the table and not one complaint. Everything was cooked to perfection & portions were plentiful. I would definitely recommend Summer Shack to anyone going to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer ShackCindyDined on 8/23/2013Too young a scene for us old timers. Food and service was great. Just to crowded and noisy for usSpecial Features:
- Fell shortPhillymom1VIPDined on 8/23/2013Booked this after seeing great Open Table reviews, but it seemed to be a quick turnaround shop designed to crank out passable seafood items. Nothing was stellar. Food was OK, and salads were soggy with dressing. Service was just OK (we had a very forgetful waitress who had to be reminded of what we'd requested several times). Ambiance was cute but unremarkable. Prices were higher than expected for what we got. The entrance also looked shabby from the street and we questioned whether we wanted to even go in -- looked like a hole in the wall. There are other places in the neighborhood that offer more for your money.Special Features:
- Going Down HillOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2013We had an early reservation but they were already out of the wine I wanted to order as well as the main course. Very poor preparation. Service was mediocre.....didn't come by very often to check drinks, etc.
- Dinner at the ShackRayMikeDined on 8/21/2013Server Joe was very friendly and helpful in deciding drinks and entree. Drinks: White Sangria and Watermelon Martini were both very good. Lobster pot Sticks and Crab Cake Appetizers were delicious and flavorful. We both had the Paella which was good and on the moist side which I prefer. Good portion of fish, mussels, clams, chicken pieces with skin on,ands calamari; the dish was not overly spicy from the chorizo. The Boston Cream Pie was like a layer cake, excellent, highly recommend , the brownie topped with ice cream and fudge sauce was scrumptiously fudgy . A very memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep on truckin'OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/20/2013Many years ago, visiting Boston, we ate at Jaspar's restaurant. We loved it. Now we've found him again! Different spin, still great food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week lunch into dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2013We went for lunch in restaurant week but it didn't offer restaurant week lunch menu on Sunday. I wish it would mention that they are not restaurant week lunch menu on Sunday and If I knew I wouldn't go. The crab cake was good and it had a lot of crab meat. The rest of appetizers were ok. Clam chowder was runny & lack of clam meats. All entrees were mostly good except sirloin tips were over cooked and rubbery . Our server was too busy at beginning but after than he was great. He kept glasses full.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/16/2013I bought some friends from out of town to Summer Shack who were looking for good seafood. The surf and turf was average at best (shrimp not properly deveined and tough steak tips) and the service inattentive. Our drink orders were taken but it took a long time for them to arrive. Once we had our drinks we did not see a waiter for at least 15-20 minutes. The conversation and company were great which really made the evening but we felt very disappointed and expected much more from this restaurant including attentive hospitality.
- First time at Summer ShackohsoveryleturDined on 8/12/2013The food and service were both great. I will definitely be going back for more seafood. Wish the lobster prices were lower but otherwise, great place to have a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here. Menu wasRobTNHVIPDined on 8/8/2013First time here. Menu was outstanding! Perfect for an upscale restaurant at the lake. There was something for everyone. If you had little ones or more picky eaters there were sandwiches and many things for them, yet there were interesting items for the more adventuresome.Special Features:
- Delicious seafood! FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/6/2013Delicious seafood! Friendly casual, but nice atmosphere. Best food we had in Boston, better than a higher-priced seafood place. Nice chowder, swordfish was sublime--as good as it gets, with fresh vegetables. Our entire party loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.