50 Dalton St.
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summershackrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6178679955x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday thru Friday 11:30pm-4:00pm
Dinner Monday thru Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday Dinner is served 5:00pm-11:00pm, Saturday Dinner is served all day 11:30am-11:00pm, Sunday Dinner is all day 11:30am-10:00pm
Happy Hour at the bar only Monday thru Friday 4:00-6:30pm and Sunday all day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Dell Leandro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have full service catering division and will travel all over New England. Our mobile Clambake on Wheels trailer allows us to bring our famous New England clambake to you. We also offer a wide variety of other types of menus.
- Special Events: Happy Hour at the bar ONLY 4:00-6:30pm Monday thru Friday featuring a $5.00 appetizer menu.
A word from Summer Shack
The Summer Shack is a fun, casual restaurant, specializing in New England Style Seafood. We offer 10 to 12 different types of oysters daily. Lobsters in varying sizes and styles including our signature clambake. Wonderful local grilled fish and crispy fried seafood. We do offer several non-seafood items as well. Steaks, burgers and award winning fried chicken. We are a children friendly restaurant and we can accommodate larger groups upon request.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Summer Shack - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Summer Shack reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (71)kid-friendly (41)neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (33)great for lunch (26)hot spot (14)special occasion (13)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Big DisappointmentLocovoreVIPDined on 6/10/2014I've been taking visitors to the various Summer Shack locations for many years. We keep it simple - steamed lobster - and always have a great meal. This time we asked our server for recommendations and were steered in the worst direction. We started with mussels fra diavolo - either the shellfish were bad or the sauce was burned; the dish was inedible. For our main course we ordered a specialty lobster that was nothing like the server described. He described a lobster whose meat was removed from the shell, sauteed in a cognac sauce and returned to the shell; what we got were lobsters split and grilled (but otherwise firmly in the shells) drenched in a heavy, oily sauce. Very unpleasant trying to hold and crack the lobsters.I would recommend this to a friend.
- walktovenetianDined on 6/7/2014haven't been in a while but it seems like it was upgraded and the food was very good
- Disappointing experienceBarbDined on 6/7/2014On a Saturday night it is hard to find a family friendly restaurant with reasonable priced food. I opted to go with summer shack because I thought the seafood must be good if that's what they specialized in. My father and I both ordered the steamers and my boyfriend ordered the fish tacos. The steamers were so over cooked that they were hard to chew and the fish tacos were plated in a way that they were essentially right on top of each other in one gooey mess. I also wasn't impressed by our server at first - we are a pretty outgoing and funny family and he wouldn't crack a smile to save himself but when we brought up issues about the food he was quick to offer replacements. Too bad we didn't trust that the new food would be any better.
- DCVisitorVIPDined on 6/7/2014A great place for lobster, lobster rolls, clams, etc....a real taste of traditional New England seafood in a very casual environment.Special Features:
- The following 725 reviews are from the Summer Shack reviews archive.
- Not what I was expectingKnightsgk01Dined on 5/24/2014Summer Shack had received good reviews so my wife and I were excited to eat there. We were seated right away however we had to wait 15 minutes before our waitress came to greet us. We ordered our food and then we waited, and waited, and waited for our food to be served and then once it was, it was extremely underwhelming. The portion sizes were decent but the food lacked flavor and overall for a $70 outing for two people, you can find much better food elsewhere in Boston. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- Great service and good, but noisyBobfromCTDined on 5/24/2014Great dinner and convenient walk to Symphony Hall is weather is nice. But we were seated next to a large party that was loud. They were rudely loud, which isn't the restaurants fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for fishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014You can get a good steamed lobster elsewhere for a lot less, so I'd steer clear of the steamed lobster or the"clam bake" but they do great things with fish. Spend you money on the chalk board items - my arctic char with arugula pesto was wonderful, the shrimp & corn fritters were super good too.Special Features:
- Surprisingly GoodLlamaFamilyDined on 5/23/2014We were looking for something close by that would work for a family with a second-grader. It was the right amount of noise: we could have a conversation, but not worry about the occasional bursts of glee from our son. The food was surprisingly good, better than hair-under-four-star review would suggest. My wife loved her crab cakes and my read fish was very excellent too.Special Features:
- No thanksBostonEats13Dined on 5/22/2014The food was decent but too expensive. The drinks were outrageously overpriced--$10 for a mixed (weak) cocktail. I won't be coming backSpecial Features:
- Food was bland, service horrendous.ntesniVIPDined on 5/18/2014We were sat quickly, but with no drink or appetizer order taken for close to twenty minutes. Buffalo Shrimp appetizer was tasty, but so small for the price. Out of swordfish as well as salmon for their specials. Lobster roll was very bland.Special Features:
- YummyMidmomDined on 5/18/2014Can't beat the reliably good food. Fresh seafood, appealing specials, good beer and wine choices. The oysters were sweet and fresh. The mussels were the perfect spice and the bread was perfect for dipping. Those who are lobster were well satisfied. My monkfish was perfectly cooked and the accompaniments highlighted the fresh fish. Great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid ChoiceRobTNHVIPDined on 5/18/2014We enjoy bringing people from out of town to Summer Shack. It is comfortable, has very good food and is affordable. I have had many things on the menu that I like but the pan roasted lobster is always a hit with visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!GBootDined on 5/18/2014Looks like your average casual seafood place, but food is top shelf. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- da lobsta roll !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Awesome stop before a Red Sox game, we had a group of 13 at two tables and the staff was very good and accommodating as half the group was late arriving. Oh, and did I say Lobster Roll ? Holey Red Sox, this was loaded with lobster with just a hint of seasoning, lightly toasted roll made it a meal. Got the coleslaw side, big portion and right on the mark. Others had Atlantic Salmon, Crab Cake, calamari, seafood fritters, etc. No complaints on anything. Topped with a Harpoon IPA and life was good. Will surely stop in again when in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EricCDined on 5/10/2014Food was outstanding. I had fried clams, that were lightly battered so the taste of the full belly clams came through clearly. They were tender and moist, but not oily like they are at most places. I substituted green beans for the fries and they are still crunchy (just perfect) and were done in an interesting garlic/herb sauce. The coleslaw was light on the mayonnaise, which I liked. My wife had a lobster roll, which was jammed with lobster meat, just enough mayo to hold it together, cooked just right. Service was prompt and friendly, noise level was much better than I was expecting, given the nature of the place.Special Features:
- decent; good with kidstigrlDined on 5/9/2014The food was never special, but now they are dialing it in. Fish is very fresh, but recipes are boring. Drinks are very, very mediocre. We took friends with small children there because they are good at dealing with kids, and the place is so noisy that kids blend right in. Otherwise, a very expensive meal in comparison to quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricier than I rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2014Food was great as always but limited fish I liked this time. And main course prices were higher than I remembered. Still had a great meal. Main course, split appetizer and one glass of wine was well over $40.00 with tip.
- Always great !!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2014Have been to Summer Shack on each trip to Boston and have never been disappointed ! Great service reasonable pricing and the skillet lobster was fantastic. Will be back on next trip to BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood thumbs upNotDiningAmateurDined on 4/10/2014Enjoyed the affordable seafood and will definitely come back when in town!Special Features:
- Lobster outstandingBobbyDined on 4/10/2014The pan-fried lobster was absolutely delicious, lots of butter, garlic and chervil. I have never tasted a lobster dish this good. Huge side serving of slaw, tasty but not overpowering. The Indian Pudding dessert was non-remarkable but fun since local. Oysters fresh and good too, although the Bay Blondes not as good as others, despite their popularity. Very casual atmosphere, which belies the expense, as lobster is still of course pricey. Overall, lots of fun, worth it, awesome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I think this restaurant hasWawoVIPDined on 4/7/2014I think this restaurant has gone way downhill. Food quality is not up to par & portion size has consistently gotten smaller. No reason for the seafood to be anything less than great here in New England! The Cosmopolitan that I got from the bar was awful - ingredient portions were incorrect! This place is too high priced for what you get. I won't be going back again. It can't compare to Atlantic Fish (or even Skipjack's).
- Great oystersCmp6VIPDined on 4/5/2014Had a good dinner with 6 people before a Red Sox game. Waitress was very good, got everything correct without writing anything down. I had oysters and a poor boy sandwhich and all was very good. I would not hesitate to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location for a pre-gameOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014Good location for a pre-game meal or drink. Close to fenway, yet not horribly crowded. The food was pretty good; actually the monkfish special was exceptionally good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/5/2014Food was mediocre and pretty expensive ($50 for two sandwiches and drinks) just like any franchise restaurant. Service was okay. Food took about 20 minutes for a crab cake sandwich and a burger but it took almost a half hour to get our check. Would not recommend to anyone when there's so many more great places to eat in downtown Boston.
- Fine casual shore style diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2014I've been there before (and enjoyed it) but enjoyed a very good meal at Summer Shack last Friday with my of age son, before a show at Berklee Performance Center. I thoroughly enjoyed my grilled sardines app with tapenade and my fish tacos were very tasty and a generous portion. My son enjoyed his Jamaican chowder and crab cakes. Drinks were good and the service and atmosphere were fine and comfortable. Need to go back and get the pan roasted lobster which I haven't had since Jasper closed his original location years ago. i would definitely return here and recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedrobertDined on 3/31/2014When one spends almost $350 (with tip for five people) you might expect bread service or that when waiters deliver food to a table they should know who gets the dishes they ordered. Summer Shack takes casual dining to a too casual level but at these prices one would expect a little more refined service. Plus the Boston location feels dark, dingy and not terribly clean - an impression when we had eating at another Summer Shack in a Connecticut casino a few years back. That's it. We're done with Summer Shack.
- Casual with great foodSdr2VIPDined on 3/29/2014Fresh seafood in an easy, casual environment. Our server check in on us several times. We recommend the lobster roll, crab cake and the cole slaw side dish. The fish tacos were good too. The raw bar and shrimp cocktail were as expected - fresh. Lots more of the menu to try. We'll return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were (mostly) pleased withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2014We were (mostly) pleased with the food, but the service was... Bad. Both slow and uniformed. For example, I had a question about the ingredients in my salad, and the server simply had no idea what the various vegatables were. We waited and waited for everything. While I certainly don't want to rush a dinner, there is no reason a simple dinner for two should take more than 2 hours and 45 minutes. Yet, the staff was very friendly and seemed well intentioned. A bad night or new on the job? Hope to see improvement here. Standout menu item: lobster raviolli. Creamy and delicious.
- DisappointingAnonymousDined on 3/26/2014I've been to the Summer Shack in Cambridge numerous times, but this was my first time at the one in Boston. I went with a group of six people and most of them had never been to Summer Shack before. For appetizers, we had the south bay blonde oyster & tuna sashimi, sautéed mussels in garlic & herbs and a spicy red sauce, fried calamari and clam chowder. The appetizers were very good, but the favorite were the mussels. Then, we moved on to the entrees. Most of us got the grilled fish of the day. My bass was burnt and the fish was very dry. Such a shame because I really love bass. My friend's trout was also burnt as well. The dishes overall were pretty much OK. We also ordered desserts, but none were spectacular. We agreed we wouldn't return.
- A restaurant week findcmm15Dined on 3/21/2014Was pleasantly surprised with Summer Shack. I had heard of its many locations and wasn't sure the food would be as great as promised. Service was the personable Wilson who I would ask for any day. Every course was delcious, the seafood unbelievably fresh including the calamari, the clam chowder, and the Bluefish. The desserts were typical, but nothing that I didn't enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.cam3153Dined on 3/21/2014Didn't want to do Dine Out Boston this year. Last year's Restaurant Week experiences at two high-rated steak housese were so bad--bad service, luke warm food, etc. Totalling different this year at Summer Shack in Boston. Service was wonderful. Very accommodating to one of our party using a cane. Food came quickly and hot, delicious, and plentiful. It was very comfortable, and the wait staff were friendly and efficient, checking with us regularly. Will come back over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not acknowledge Open Table ResedaveVIPDined on 3/21/2014We arrived at 6:00 for our reservation and they said they did not have a reservation for us. They did seat us immediately, but it appears that they were trying to negate our Open Table reservation. Please make sure we receive the Open Table points we are due and discuss with their management the errors of their ways.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer Shack - Back BayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/21/2014Great seafood -- fresh, moist & flavorful! Fair pricing!Special Features:
- Fair to AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Selected an app. from the specials and it was not available. Small portions large prices.
- Convenient to Berklee performanceGreensDined on 3/1/2014Convenient to Berklee performance center, with convenient discounted parking at garage next door. Casual atmosphere, reasonable limited seafood menu. But it's not Legal SeafoodsSpecial Features:
- Casual and tastyBubblyVIPDined on 2/23/2014Great fried oysters, relaxed atmosphere, good serviceSpecial Features:
- Great OystersbetsybobDined on 2/23/2014We are addicted the Summer Shack's oysters and always stay on for dinner, because the specials are always very good. Fish is fresh and the preparations are excellent.Special Features:
- Not as good as they used toTiMyVIPDined on 2/14/2014Haven't been to Summer Shack in a while and coming back on Valentine's Day was a disaster. We get there right before opening the place so it wasn't so crowded but then again the waitress was friendly but pushy as to coming to ask every five minutes if we wanted to order something else. My friend's entree was very hot but mine was relatively cold. The tuna tartare appetizzer was very good but too much stuff on the sides that made it seem a little too much to take. I ordered some grilled shrimp but the damn tails were hard to remove. Overall it was decent but don't think I'll go back any time soon.Special Features:
- Below expectationsWilburDined on 2/9/2014Perhaps it was an off night, but our waitress evidently forgot to deliver one of our orders to the kitchen and meanwhile the rest of us are sitting there while our food gets cold while awaiting this last dish. I had to go ask the bartender where our waitress was, as well as the rest of our food order. Also, I like rock and roll music, but I am not a fan of the trend to have this stuff blaring over the loudspeakers. I do not like to have to shout my dinner conversation while cupping my ears to hear someone speak to me. My fish was slightly overcooked, and my wife's crab cakes were mediocre and came with a bizarre bitter/spicey coleslaw that she didn't like, but the waitress said that's just the way they make it here. Oh well.
- BlandJuliaDined on 2/7/2014Not so great food. Fish tacos were mushy and void of flavor. Fried clams also texturally off, also mushy and bland. Expected lots more from the food. Will not rush back that for sure. Seemed very touristy and should represent New England seafood in a more classic way. Fried clams that are crispy and with a depth of flavor would be one way