BLT Fish Shack
21 West 17th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
BLT Fish Shack
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.e2hospitality.com/blt-fish-new-york/
- Phone: 2126918888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Luke Venner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from BLT Fish Shack
Visit the BLT Fish Shack and relax like a true sailor. A raw bar boasts ten varieties of shellfish including periwinkles, clams and oysters while other specialties include a luscious clam chowder and Shack staples like crispy Fish and Chips. And don"t miss our stellar lobster roll, which will transport you straight to the seashore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BLT Fish Shack reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (11)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (4)hot spot (4)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (2)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Went for dinner with a friendCCNYCVIPDined on 12/11/2012Went for dinner with a friend and because we did it early we got the table in the window which was delightful, quiet and removed from the others. The food was terrific, wonderful oysters, great simple preparation of my yellow fin. I guess it's a little pricey, but for seafood and fish this fresh and well prepared I have no complaints.Special Features:
- Nice selection of some ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/2/2012Nice selection of some of the less common west coast oysters. Food is overall very good, and priced appropriately. The periwinkles with a bottle of crisp buttery white wine are a real treat, and a perfect appetizer for conviviality.
- I'll be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/2/2012I love BLT Fish Shack and will definitely be back. The food is great and the atmosphere is very laid-back and chilled out, but you know the food will be great since it's a BLT restaurant. It just feels like a very comfortable place. I'm not sure how the crowd gets during happy hour but I could see myself even trying it out for an after-work drink and snack with friends! An exta star for service because the waiter was so kind and even suggested how to optimize my meal if it was the first time having that dish.Special Features:
- Fun but not greatBayingbeagleDined on 11/14/2012I was disappointed in the quality of the food (I had a lobster roll and a side or corn on the cob). The atmosphere was fun and energetic and the server was very nice, though slightly inattentive. The hostess allowed me to sit at the table even though my whole party had not arrived yet and I didn't feel rushed out at the end. It was a fun place for dinner but the food was not memorable.Special Features:
- I always enjoy the fish shack.FatAlVIPDined on 11/12/2012I always enjoy the fish shack. High quality food cooked simply and well. Good and interesting wine, beer and booze selections also. I'm always a little surprised at how the bill is at the end of the night, so my main critique would be that while it's excellent and I go back repeatedly, it's not the greatest value in the world.Special Features:
- the bread with the herb oilOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/21/2012the bread with the herb oil stuff is divine. SO GOOD It's a pretty good, cheap, fish shack. Upstairs is unbelievable but sometimes you just don't want such a big 'to-do'
- Food I will dreamOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2012Amazing fish! Had for the first time a try at the pan-seared flounder and it was so flavorful. The cod was even better and boy that garlic bread is to die for! I was a very happy camper. Dessert was okay. I'd come back for the seafood and the garlic bread. Fun and energetic scene. Friendly staff. A must try!Special Features:
- All greatLuccioSDined on 10/13/2012Great food, great service. A bit expensive for a fish "Shack" count $90pp for a shared starter, entrees and a shared desert plus a $50 bottle of wine. no cocktails but I guess that's downtown.Special Features:
- Batter on fish, shrimp andOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/5/2012Batter on fish, shrimp and jalapena poppers was soggy as if they had come out of the microwave ...Shouldve sent everything back and left but was it was lunch-reunion with old friends and we had a lot of catching up to do .. Overpriced wine-- $15 a glass at a fish shack, really!? .. Liked the selection of music but too loud, although volume was eventually lowered .. Lighting was so dim, one friend had to go outside to read the menu ...
- It was excellent as alwayslovefishDined on 9/28/2012It was excellent as always . Bradley the manager went well beyond his duties, he was all the time making sure everything was right and it was
- Used to be better before theyMookieNYCVIPDined on 9/27/2012Used to be better before they sold the restaurant. Recipes are tired, soup not nearly as good as before, raw bar decent but not up to par for the money. Value just isn't there anymore. Maybe good for a few oysters and a beer after work or lunch but that's about it.
- As always terrific. EnhancedMJP60VIPDined on 9/19/2012As always terrific. Enhanced by the fact the manager graciously turned the music down to level I could enjoy the company of an old friend.Special Features:
- The food was delicious, theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2012The food was delicious, the service was excellent! A great location to get tasty seafood!Special Features:
- Good Restauranthome2cookVIPDined on 9/9/2012For a Manhattan restaurant specializing in fish dishes they do a good job. Fish dishes are basic and presented with your choice of three different sauces. Inexpensive compared to other seafood restaurants. We had skate for $15.00.Good choice of clams, oysters and deep-fried dishes.
- Do not eat here!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2012This was one of the worse dining experiences ever. I ordered the fish tacos and lobster roll. My tacos were drenched in guacamole and sour cream to hide the fact that there were only 2 small pieces of fish underneath it all. The lobster roll was horrible filled with mayo and nothing else. The fries were straight from Costco! My husband ordered the shrimp cocktail and fish, shrimp and chips. We could have gone to Long John Silver and got the same meal for less money. Do not recommend at all. I have been to other BLT restaurants and this by far does not live up to their stellar reputatation.
- Seafood lovers delightBonApetit787VIPDined on 9/1/2012A fish lover's delight. This restaurant had a wide variety of seafood options. It has an amazing raw bar selection. It also has simple healthy fish preparations and some tasty fried options if you are so inclined. The appetizers are just as pricey as the mains so the shack is not for penny pinchers. It is worth the moneySpecial Features:
- Food and service were greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2012Food and service were great but as with many New York restaurants. The noise level prevented much conversation.
- Found the menu somewhat limited.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2012Found the menu somewhat limited. Got the Lobster Roll which I felt to be really overpriced for the size of the sandwich which was the equivalent of 1/2 a lobster roll anyplace else. I love the BLT family of restaurants so was disappointed in my experience here
- Great place for a casual,FoodieDined on 8/18/2012Great place for a casual, relaxed dinner. The food was very good. Outstanding value for the price. Fun place!Special Features:
- Unbelievable food and excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Unbelievable food and excellent service. Will definitely go back and recommend it!Special Features:
- love the fish shackOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2012We love this restaurant. The food is outstanding, the atmosphere is casual, and the drinks are refreshing and tasty.Special Features:
- The host makes you feel trulyLMCPDined on 8/3/2012The host makes you feel truly welcome from the very beginning. It was the perfect choice for a steamy hot day outside. Food is simple, but well prepared. Wine by the glass is too expensive, so we went for a nice glass of refreshing beer.Special Features:
- Good spot, great food, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2012Good spot, great food, and fun. Very noisy though. I've been there a bunch of times and it does seem to get noisier with less service.Special Features:
- The raw seafood tower wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2012The raw seafood tower was average at best. The raw seafood towers at Blue Water grill were fresher and a step above. Service was also average. No explanation of the seafood on the tower.
- This place is great. It remindsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2012This place is great. It reminds me of being out east on Long Island but you don't even have to leave the city! I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- small portions, not very excitingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2012small portions, not very exciting food, would not go back nor recommend, especially for the prices.
- $42 for a small lobster isnolitianVIPDined on 7/19/2012$42 for a small lobster is incredibly overpriced. We were also told that we had to be out of our table in less than an hour when we requested a booth and on top of that, it was the "worst" booth in the house. For a total bill of $150 for 2, a better attitiude from the front of the house is required. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- A dissapointment54thfoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2012Beware! Overated and well under expectations. The french fries were soggy and STUCK TOGETHER as well as cold. The fish was overly battered, cool and no better than a 2nd Avenue Pub. The "fresh" oyster and clam plate was WARM and tasted like it was prepared an hour ago. STAY AWAY from this restaurant unless you are looking for overpriced pub food.....
- A regular favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/29/2012We love this place and come here at least once a month. The food is excellent, the fish selection broad and the atmosphere is fun and casual. The restaurant is always busy without being obnoxiously crowded and the consistency of the food is outstanding. I get the same thing every time and it has been perfect, every time. There is clearly a very good quality control in the kitchen and this place never disappoints.Special Features:
- A bit disappointing that aGreeneyedgrlVIPDined on 6/29/2012A bit disappointing that a fish restaurant would run out of tuna on a Friday night at 8:30.Special Features:
- Good food and selection ofOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/23/2012Good food and selection of fish. Wine prices, especially by the glass, are ludicrous !! It dampened the spirit of a good dinner, so I recommend this restaurant but with hesitation because of this.
- BLT fish Shack is great forKrisVIPDined on 6/18/2012BLT fish Shack is great for a casual meal and very good fish. The noise level is too intense to have any sort of conversation (even on a Monday night at 7:00.) The wines are very limited. The fish was perfectly prepared, fresh and delicious. This is a great spot for a really tasty meal in a very lively atmosphere. Do not go here for a romantic dinner where you want to talk or for any meal where conversation is an important part of the evening. also - delicious Key Lime pie1Special Features:
- Food was outstanding. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/15/2012Food was outstanding. Service so so, but manager was a gem and great. A little noisy, but fun.Special Features:
- Nothing better than oysters,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2012Nothing better than oysters, fish tacos, and great drinks...Special Features:
- Decent = DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/9/2012I was disappointed in the food. I thought it could have been better, a lot better. I ordered $78 worth of alaskan king crab = 1.5 lbs. It was ice cold. Not just served on ice but SO COLD. Kind of ruined it. Everything else was very mediocre. Better off many other places. But the service was great!
- The Lobster Bisque tastedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/9/2012The Lobster Bisque tasted slightly burnt. Ruined the meal for us.
- Great happy hour specials!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/6/2012Great happy hour specials! $1 Blue point oysters and local beers.Special Features:
- Great place to bring a client!!DJBillyNYCDined on 6/1/2012Great for lunch. VERY attentive service with a smile.Special Features:
- No Lobster Rolls??!!FrankVIPDined on 5/30/2012I went to BLT Fish Shack on a business lunch after raving to my client about their lobster rolls. As soon as we sat down, the waiter informed me they were out of lobster rolls. They had whole lobsters but no rolls. Couldn't someone in the kitchen - like the chef, maybe - whip up some lobster salad and throw it on a hot dog bun? It seemed like a ridiculous thing to be out of at lunch in late May. What I had was fine but a "Fish Shack" should have lobster rolls. It'd be like going to McDonald's and they're out of burgers.Special Features:
- PainfulrmatVIPDined on 5/18/2012Noisy, it was like having dinner with the people next to us. The folks sitting next to us were loud and obnoxious. We ended up texting eachother all night before taking our main course to go which we gave to a homeless person on the walk home. The server was great, she did the best she could. Unless its the private dining I'm out!