BLT Fish Shack
21 West 17th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
BLT Fish Shack
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.e2hospitality.com/blt-fish-new-york/
- Phone: 2126918888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Luke Venner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Second level is for private events. The room is self contained; there are 2 restrooms, banquet kitchen, bar and separate sound system. 15-65 people for a sit down and up to 125 for cocktail and hors d'oeurves.
- Private Party Contact: Alissa Cros 2126758156x
A word from BLT Fish Shack
Visit the BLT Fish Shack and relax like a true sailor. A raw bar boasts ten varieties of shellfish including periwinkles, clams and oysters while other specialties include a luscious clam chowder and Shack staples like crispy Fish and Chips. And don"t miss our stellar lobster roll, which will transport you straight to the seashore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BLT Fish Shack reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (10)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)special occasion (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Go for the foodmeettDined on 8/22/2013The food was delicious--both from the usual menu and the specials. Be sure the menu suits you as it is very much a "fish shack" menu. On my most recent visit, the noise level was so high as to make conversation difficult--but go for the food, not the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun. Good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2013Great seafood. Fun atmosphere. Always a little warm and a bit noisy.
- A disappointing experiencealice69VIPDined on 8/5/2013All the fish dishes were delicious and exactly as you would expect. Service was poor -- some starters and main courses arrived at the same time. Waiter made no attempt to remove the main courses until we pointed out they would be cold by the time we finished our starters. Took forever to get drinks. We would have double the amount of beers and wine if they hadn't taken so long. A disappointing experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you visit a fish shack,NicknameVIPDined on 8/3/2013If you visit a fish shack, you don't expect pretension -- you won't find it at BLT Fish Shack. Still, the restaurant's food is good, and its service is unfussy. BLT Fish Shack does a good job of presenting a plain, ultra-casual seafood meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a Blast!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2013The service was amazing! I attended with my family to celebrate my brothers college graduation. The manager stopped by our table 2x to assure we were having an enjoyable experience, he was gracious & polite. The flounder was cooked to perfection, appetizers were on point.. just an overall well worth the bill kind of meal. The Bar area does make it a bit noisy, but for us that added to the energy. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday, Ray!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2013I took my boyfriend for an early dinner and, while he's not much for eating out, loved it! The service is great, yet, not intrusive. The food amazing, location is perfect to the subway and the music is nice but not blasting your ears out... Eat something;)Special Features:
- Great casual affordableScottDined on 7/11/2013Lunch spot in union square. Perfect for a business mtg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find for Seafood and Raw BarJanWVIPDined on 7/6/2013A welcome respite for dinner on steamy summer evening – a real find that we did not know existed. The service was great and the seafood was flavorful, fresh and nicely presented. The Fish Shack on street level is informal but we checked out the formal restaurant on the 3rd floor - beautiful. The second floor is for private-party events and is an amazing space. We definitely will return to try other options on the appealing menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTANOVIPDined on 6/11/2013With a name like BLT Fish Shack you would think the fish selection would be complete with soy shell crabs when in season and that the food would be awesome. No. Not true. As a big fan of BLT establishments this one is not great.
- Good seafood, attentive serviceSmoothDined on 5/28/2013Food was well prepared. Service was attentive but a bit over-solicitous and the upsell a little heavy ("shall I do that for the table?" which meant providing multiple portions) Wine list is very heavily weighted to triple-digit wines, and wine steward consistently recommended a wine $5 above the ceiling I requested.
- Nice entrees, good value forhappyVIPDined on 5/26/2013Nice entrees, good value for your money. Very friendly staff.Special Features:
- Great for a casual fish meal QuietJoodyDined on 5/26/2013Great for a casual fish meal Quiet as it was Memorial day weekendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/2/2013I've been a BLT Fish Shack loyalist since it opened but the minor changes over the years have finally culminated into a situation where I just won't go there anymore or recommend it to friends. Service was beyond slow on a not-full-house night, cocktails and appetizers were ordered and served way too slowly, portions were meager despite high prices ($12 -$14 for a tiny cocktail that was mostly ice??), quality was iffy and cooking instructions were blatantly ignored (how hard is it to cook fresh salmon without sprinkling salt on it?). Worth repeating - portion sizes have grown way too small and the passionate, fun, personable staff of yesteryear have all moved on. This place is a corporate gimmick.Special Features:
- Menza MenzaManhattanFoodieDined on 4/26/2013Underwhelmed. Maybe we hit it on an off night, although it was a Friday. The food was average, we expected better considering the how high the Bill was for two drinks each one appetizer, and two entrees. The 1/2 dozen Blue Points to start were excellent, but the highly touted Lobster Roll, was "eh" - way to seasoned with chive or cilantro - I cant recall exactly what the herb was - but way too much whatever it was. The Salmon was nothing of nothing - marginally tasteful, definitely had better in less 'hyped' restaurants. Perhaps we should have ventured upstairs and tried our luck there.Special Features:
- SPECIAL SOFT SHELL CRAB TACOSPhilKeaneDined on 4/24/2013SPECIAL SOFT SHELL CRAB TACOS WERE A LITTLE SPICEY BUT OTHERWISE PERFECTLY COOKED. FISH IN FISH AND CHIPS WAS FRESH IF A LITTLE SKIMPY IN SIZE AND CHIPS PRETTY DARNED GOOD.Special Features:
- The only good thing here isOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/11/2013The only good thing here is the decor. The hostess was impatient with questions from customers. The mussels were subpar--a piece I had tasted fishy.
- food was great as always,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/26/2013food was great as always, but the wait staff seemed to be glorified runners covering tables
- A Very Ordinary Fish RestaurantMeticulousDined on 3/23/2013BLT Fish Shack is quite ordinary when it comes to their prepared fish dinners. The crab cakes offered as an appetizer are not of the lump crab meat variety - a distinctive taste of corn meal/bread crumbs. The lighting is so dim you will need a flashlight to read the menu.Special Features:
- The food was good, the oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2013The food was good, the oysters were fresh. The servers were attentive. Overall, a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food. Nice space. TooOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/15/2013Great food. Nice space. Too noisy for me with loud music (never had this problem here before) and the lighting was too dark.Special Features:
- A special celebration.....GrandmaDined on 3/15/2013We were warmly greeted and seated quickly. The staff was professional and very friendly and attentive. We were "treated" to glasses of champagne for our celebration - my birthday and my co- workers 20th work asnniversary - which was arraged via my office only moments before our arrival. We both had fabulous fresh oysters - the waiter was very knowledgeable about their taste and origins- and then we each had lobsters which were delicious! I was then presented with a slice of bday cake- carrot- with a candle - very festive! We had cappuccino which was hot and wonderful- a fabulous way to celebrate a special day for the 2 of us! Many thnaks!Special Features:
- One of my favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/3/2013What can I say, I love this place! Waitstaff is always so kind! The food is consistently great, and the menu offers a wide variety. I also love the relaxed, nautical ambiance. Looking forward to my next trip to BLT Fish Shack!Special Features:
- Beer Week dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/3/2013We were here for the dinner under the Beer Week; it was a 3-course dinner with beer pairings; OUTSTANDING! The garlic"bun is a MUST. The beer + food pairings were a first for me and made me appreciate beer under a new perspective!Special Features:
- Very noisy but a fun relaxedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/22/2013Very noisy but a fun relaxed environment. Food is excellent. Even my friend from Rhode Island who is a raw bar/seafood afficianado gave it a "2 thumbs up"
- We were one of the few tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/20/2013We were one of the few tables in the restaurant that was replete with wait staff - but no one paid attention to us. We were both shocked at the server to customer ratio & the fact we couldn't catch anyone's eye to ask for pepper, a coffee and the check. Atmosphere was depressing & with all the other options around - I will never go back nor will I recommend it.
- going back very soon.jodiDined on 2/15/2013So much fun and great food too! Excellent friendly service from the hostess to the wait staff. The most difficult thing was deciding what to order, so many good things on the menu. And for those of you who may not want meat, the Lobster salad was perfect. We enjoyed the rabbit terrine, Hudson cheese w cherries(yum), of course the pork belly(perfect), and the rabbit leg. Everything was delicious and we loved the entire experience, we will be back and may even order the same things because they were worthy of food craving.Special Features:
- Well worth goingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2013We went for Valentines Day 2013. When I reserved I specifically asked for 7pm in the "nicer" upstairs room which they confirmed on the phone. The day before our dinner they called (and left a message) to confirm and said we had the downstairs room. I called back to tell them we had reserved the upstairs they refused to honor the 7 pm reservation and could only give us 6:30. I then got a cancellation email that didn't say whether it was the 6:30 or the 7:00 reservation being canceled. Not such a big deal but annoying when it's a special night when you don't want things to go wrong. The room is very nice and the food was very good. Definitely worth going though I think there are better seafood places at lower prices.Special Features:
- Small portions,very high pricesGilbertDined on 1/19/2013Small portions,very high prices for what you get. The Jonah crab claws were dry, and the king crab legs were expensive and I doubt the portion was the 1/2lb they said it would be. Service was excellent but is not a reason to go back
- This restaurant has the bestMKWatersVIPDined on 12/30/2012This restaurant has the best fish and chips in the city! Did I mention the Buffalo shrimp? Wow. The raw bar is excellent as is the service. Feels like a visit to Key West.Special Features:
- Can't get enough of the breadOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/14/2012Can't get enough of the bread & great for oysters! A fun/laid back place. Def feels like you're at the beach.
- Good place & oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2012I went here for lunch and the great oyster selection made lunch even better. We had the lobster Cobb salad and fish, shrimp & chips for entrees. The food was good and the service was good. The experience was good but not exceptional.Special Features:
- Went for dinner with a friendCCNYCVIPDined on 12/11/2012Went for dinner with a friend and because we did it early we got the table in the window which was delightful, quiet and removed from the others. The food was terrific, wonderful oysters, great simple preparation of my yellow fin. I guess it's a little pricey, but for seafood and fish this fresh and well prepared I have no complaints.Special Features:
- Nice selection of some ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/2/2012Nice selection of some of the less common west coast oysters. Food is overall very good, and priced appropriately. The periwinkles with a bottle of crisp buttery white wine are a real treat, and a perfect appetizer for conviviality.
- I'll be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/2/2012I love BLT Fish Shack and will definitely be back. The food is great and the atmosphere is very laid-back and chilled out, but you know the food will be great since it's a BLT restaurant. It just feels like a very comfortable place. I'm not sure how the crowd gets during happy hour but I could see myself even trying it out for an after-work drink and snack with friends! An exta star for service because the waiter was so kind and even suggested how to optimize my meal if it was the first time having that dish.Special Features:
- Fun but not greatBayingbeagleDined on 11/14/2012I was disappointed in the quality of the food (I had a lobster roll and a side or corn on the cob). The atmosphere was fun and energetic and the server was very nice, though slightly inattentive. The hostess allowed me to sit at the table even though my whole party had not arrived yet and I didn't feel rushed out at the end. It was a fun place for dinner but the food was not memorable.Special Features:
- I always enjoy the fish shack.FatAlVIPDined on 11/12/2012I always enjoy the fish shack. High quality food cooked simply and well. Good and interesting wine, beer and booze selections also. I'm always a little surprised at how the bill is at the end of the night, so my main critique would be that while it's excellent and I go back repeatedly, it's not the greatest value in the world.Special Features:
- the bread with the herb oilOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/21/2012the bread with the herb oil stuff is divine. SO GOOD It's a pretty good, cheap, fish shack. Upstairs is unbelievable but sometimes you just don't want such a big 'to-do'
- Food I will dreamOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2012Amazing fish! Had for the first time a try at the pan-seared flounder and it was so flavorful. The cod was even better and boy that garlic bread is to die for! I was a very happy camper. Dessert was okay. I'd come back for the seafood and the garlic bread. Fun and energetic scene. Friendly staff. A must try!Special Features:
- All greatLuccioSDined on 10/13/2012Great food, great service. A bit expensive for a fish "Shack" count $90pp for a shared starter, entrees and a shared desert plus a $50 bottle of wine. no cocktails but I guess that's downtown.Special Features:
- Batter on fish, shrimp andOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/5/2012Batter on fish, shrimp and jalapena poppers was soggy as if they had come out of the microwave ...Shouldve sent everything back and left but was it was lunch-reunion with old friends and we had a lot of catching up to do .. Overpriced wine-- $15 a glass at a fish shack, really!? .. Liked the selection of music but too loud, although volume was eventually lowered .. Lighting was so dim, one friend had to go outside to read the menu ...