150 Richmond Street
Boston, MA 02109Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ristorantevillafrancesca.com/
- Phone: 6173672948
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
Friday- Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Guglielmo Ranauro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We provide a catering menu, please visit our website or call us for more information.
- Special Events: We provide a special event menu, please visit our website or call us for more information.
A word from Villa Francesca
Ristorante Villa Francesca, in the North End of Boston, Massachusetts, is the brain child of Guglielmo Ranauro. Through his desire for perfection and pure love of the Italian cuisine, Guglielmo created Villa Francesca over thirty years ago. He bestowed the name Francesca after his mother, never forgetting the love and wonderful food she always provided while growing up just across the street from the restaurant. Villa Francesca boasts over 160 wine selections, and has received the prestigious Wine Enthusiast and Wine Spectator awards since 2007. You've got to try the raw bar!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Villa Francesca reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (30)fit for foodies (24)romantic (24)good for groups (23)notable wine list (15)hot spot (9)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (6)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014My mom was recommend this place by someone she met on the plane ride to Boston. The guy raved about the shrimp scampi so we ordered the entree portion. The flavors were good, nothing spectacular but the shrimp was tough and dry. Additionally, the minestrone soup was sub-par, I make a much more flavorful once myself.
- Seaffod as good as in Venice!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Always wanted to eat here and we finally did. No regrets and will be back,..everything was very good! Our wait staff was a little bit confused, we ordered a glass of sangria, she brought a glass of martini. Other than that, everything was just right. The calamari was delicious, it was very close to one I tried in Venice, Italy.. I was very pleased!Special Features:
- Not worth the timevillanotDined on 4/25/2014We arrived with a reservation and had to wait about 15 min to be seated. The waitress brought the first course before we got any bread or water. The food was tasteless. The worst was the coffee: 2 double-espressos for for over $13!! And, they were not even good.
- KristenDined on 4/20/2014Nothing fancy but REALLY good Italian staple dishes with fresh pasta--exactly what we wanted! Not crazy expensive like some of the restaurants in the North End. We would definitely go back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Villa FrancescaJessieDined on 4/19/2014I eat in the North End all the time. My family and friends came here on a Saturday night during marathon weekend because the restaurant had great reviews (and so many other restaurants had been booked already!). We liked most of the things we ordered, but compared to some of the gems in the North End, the food was OK and the prices were a little high. The staff was friendly but did lie about running out of a less expensive bottle of wine that when we asked around magically reappeared. I wouldn't come here again.
- jessicamDined on 4/19/2014The restaurant was very busy but we only had to wait around a little bit to be taken to our table. The hostess was very friendly and did a great job handling the crowd. The fresh bread and olive oil was delicious. Had a great glass of wine, that paired nicely with my Fettucine Con Gamberi. I would definitely come back and try some of there other delicious sounding meals!Special Features:
- Just ok...Luv2tryNewDined on 4/19/2014It wasn't "bad", but it wasn't great. Food was sub-par for the North End in Boston. Have had better dishes at a chain restaurant. Too pricey for the quality as well. Wouldn't visit again.
- cozy but deliciouschrisDined on 4/5/2014Tables are a little tight for me at 230lbs. But the seafood special was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Foodgecrouch88Dined on 4/5/2014The prices are a little high, but that's what you get for being in the heart of the North End of Boston. The food outweighed the prices. The veal stuff with prosciutto was perfect. The steak was also cooked to perfection. They really know what they are doing there. The bartenders were a little off though. People were constantly sending drinks back because they were not correct. They even delivered me a drink twice. But overall, it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant eveningBoztelDined on 4/5/2014Perfectly fine evening at the Villa. Reservations for six on a Saturday for 7:30 and were seated immediately. Typical busy evening in the North End. Waitress was distracted by volume of tables early in the meal but as people cleared out the service improved. All individuals (from ages 23-52) enjoyed their meal. The veal dishes are recommended. The caprese was pedestrian. Enjoyed the mussel app.Special Features:
- Disappointed with Groupon serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2014We had visited this restaurant previously on two occasions. We had a groupon for this visit and read all the specifications which included letting the restaurant know you were planning on using a groupon. It did say the restaurant wasn't valid for restaurant week (NOT restaurant month!). We made a reservation 3 days before and listed the groupon, we don't live in Boston and had no idea it was part of Restaurant Week (which they seen to celebrate for longer than a week as we were informed by other restaurants!). Half an hour before our reservation, when we were already in Boston the management called and cancelled our reservation with absolutely NO apology. We find it hard to believe they needed to be so rude. We will never go there again.
- Everything was awesomeBen14Dined on 3/29/2014Dined here back in late March but forgot to put in my review. Had a great date here with my girl friend. food service was fast and friendly and my veal was excellent. I cannot recall the name of the wine but it was also very good. The hostess sat us right near window which was also nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Villa FrancescaKathleenDined on 3/28/2014We had a lovely time at Villa Francesca. The decor is beautiful and I couldn't stop admiring the textured ceilings, even the menus are lovely and one of a kind. Ours meals were all delicious, and the Fettuccine Calamari that I ordered as my entree was one of the most incredible plates I've had in a while. The service, however, was just okay. The waitresses who came to our table were friendly at first, but when they found out we were there for Dine Out Boston their enthusiasm noticeably dropped. We had to ask for a bread basket even though every table around us had one, and while we had a lovely time, it definitely would have been improved with a better staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousprofitprincessDined on 3/26/2014Excellent food and service! Place itself is very nice and beautiful, and there were no problems at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPennyDined on 3/23/2014Bought a Groupon and then they refused to honor it as it was Dine Out Boston. Groupon expires April 1. Food not worth paying full price.
- Great Casual DiningIreneDined on 3/22/2014Smaller restaurant with a nice ambiance. Definitely what I would expect at the North End. Great for special occasions and groups. Had mussels and they were absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Not outstandingGabs70Dined on 3/21/2014It was meh! Food wasn't bad but it was a regular italian meal. We went for he Dine Out Boston menu ($28) and the options were numerous but the taste of the food was nothing outstanding. The place is cute though and service was very good.Special Features:
- DisappointingHkfmdDined on 3/21/2014This was one of my favorite restaurants when I lived in Boston 25 years ago. After first trying to seat me at the bar (I had reserved a table), the hostess seated me in the front room , completely by myself . There was a restaurant full of people in the next room, and not a single other person in the room with me. When I objected, they moved me in to the main dining room but not happily. The food was also not as I remembered it. A mussel appetizer was tasty, but there were very few mussels and each was quite small. I ordered veal Parmesan on the waiter's advice. What arrived was chicken Parmesan! I attempted to get the waiter, but he never looked over at me. I finally gave up and ate it. Very average. At least the cannoli was good!
- Decent Italian Foodbdj26Dined on 3/21/2014Was expecting a bit better just because it was in the North End with so many other good Italian restaurants. The food seemed very simple and tasted that way as well. Not terrible but not noteworthy.Special Features:
- had a very nice lunch at VillasuzanneDined on 3/20/2014had a very nice lunch at Villa Francesca on Thursday with my colleagues from work nice decor, good ambiance, great service, wonderful food (chicken cacciatore especially) I know what good food is and I will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week SuccessSouthShoreFoodie3Dined on 3/19/2014We've been to a few places now for Restaurant Week and this is our favorite. The 3-course Menu has so much variety that everyone can find something. The food was just delicious and piping hot (which is incredibly important; cold Italian food is only good for breakfast). I had the Melanzane Rollotini, Pollo Michelangelo, and Caramel Custard. My date had the Insalata Francesca, Vitella Monte, and Cannoli. We both loved ours; much more food than we thought we were getting. They were a bit too similar and Restaurant Week is about variety, at least for me. I would order any of those dishes again. Yummmm. [Four star rating because it was SO LOUD; not their fault - I think it is supposed to be like that. We did not speak much during dinner.]Special Features:
- Fresh food, great mealsunseadinerDined on 3/16/2014Went to Villa Francesca as part of restaurant week and loved all of the dishes we had. I ordered the steamed mussels, which had to be some of the best mussels I have ever had, with a lemon and garlic flavoring. I also ordered the fetticini calamari, which also was nice and light. The calamari was cooked right so that it did not become rubbery and was not breaded, which made the dish much lighter than it could have been. My friend had the bruschetta which was also delicious as well chicken cutlet (can't remember the name), which had a very generous portion. We both had caramel custard for dessert as part of the dine out menu. Overall, would highly recommend it for people looking for lighter fare in the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!rm223Dined on 3/15/2014Went out on a limb and made a reservation via open table and was delightfully surprised. The food, service and setting was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss HomeOldlocalsDined on 3/9/2014I recently returned to Boston after 20 years. Villa Francesca was and still is my favorite restaurant in the North End. Parents and three kids had lunch and dinner here. Everyone loved their meal. YUM!!!!! And leftovers if you have a place to store them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food is always consistent.foodieVIPDined on 3/7/2014the food is always consistent. the kitchen will create or change a dish to the customer whenever possible. The portions are generous. A delightful place to dineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group OutingWMB1Dined on 3/1/2014So I was getting together with a group of eight. I made a reservation requesting a round dining table. With a large group, round tables seem smart. This restaurant did not have a round table, at least not that I saw. I wish I had known, I might have done something different. That being said, the place is really nice. This was my second or third time and the food quality is very good, the wine list is nice. I really had no complaints and I do like the place, it was just the table situation that was disappointing. With a smaller group, I wouldn't hesitate to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the Best ValueHappyJackDined on 3/1/2014My companion & I split and appetizer - grilled sausages. The portion was large, but the sausages were dry. For her entre, my companion ordered a cioppino which was part of the daily three course $39.99 prix fix. The restaurant accommodated us by offering the dish a la carte, but at a cost of $33.99 (app & desert worth only $6?). My companion said it was delicious. I ordered the Veal Valdastana. Like the sausage appetizer, it was overcooked and dry. Our meal was accompanied by a Chianti that was recommended by our server. We finished with a cappuccino and expresso. Both were excellent. With gratuity, out tab was $215. We frequently dine in the North End. Unfortunately, we generally enjoy better food and better values.
- False AdvertisingNinaLVIPDined on 2/24/2014I purchased a Groupon to try Villa Francesca. The groupon was for two appetizers, two salads, two entrees and two desserts. This is a lot of food. I went with my kids and we wanted to share. The restaurant would not allow it. They insisted we all had to order entrees. The manager was rude. IN addition, the groupon suggested teh Value was in excess of $ 120.00 dollars. The restaurant offers a four course price fix meal for $ 39.95. so the savings was only $ 11.00. In addition, you are NOT allowed to order from the regular menu and the portions are smaller. This is why this restaurant was EMPTY.
- Our waitress had a very casualOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014Our waitress had a very casual attitude for such an expensive restaurant. Our table was only about 6 inches from the table next to us and a little more room would have made the evening more comfortable, but that is pretty common in the tiny north end restaurants. The food was delicious and there was a large wine selection.Special Features:
- Decent... PriceyAlmv34Dined on 2/14/2014Not happy about the price... Quality was lacking and service for others around us made it awkward!Special Features:
- Just "eh" on Valentine's Day1sttimevisitorDined on 2/14/2014First time going to Villa Francesca, also was Valentine's Day. Was expecting a packed house, but not to be packed like sardines.... our table was not more than a foot away from the next couple, and some tables were worse. Our table was wobbly and almost spilled our drinks every time we took our elbows off of it. Food was ok, not sure if it was worth it. Not sure if this is indicative of how the restaurant always is, or if it was just the craziness of V-Day.Special Features:
- Worst Valentine's experience everfine2dine4wineDined on 2/14/2014My date and I got seated in the corner of the basement. We were cramped. It was packed. We were under the restaurant's bathroom pipes. Service was the worst. We were going to order dessert. But the waiter took 30 minutes to come to our table to take the order. So we didn't order dessert. The valet took 30 minutes to get out car. We missed our movie time at the theater. Granted, this was Valentine's Day, so it was busy. But, I expected better service. It was an awful experience for me and my date. I will never go back to this restaurant. I hope that this was an anomaly. But, who cares. I don't recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Overall, I would not choosehumbleguyDined on 2/14/2014Overall, I would not choose to eat at this restaurant on Valentine's Day again. We were crammed into the basement level seating area and it was virtually impossible to have a conversation with all of the ambient noise. The food was not bad but was significantly overpriced for the place in which we ate it. If you are looking for an Italian experience in the North End, go to Giacomo's.
- Villa francesca...not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2014We've heard a lot of good things about Villa Francesca, but were disappointed. Service was slow, even though we were not in a hurry. The rizzoto was not hot and was crusty on the outside, as if it was sitting on the plate for a while, Never should have been served that way. Spinach had no flavor. All in all, I'd give it a 5 out of 10.Special Features:
- Birthday partyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2014We celebrated a birthday party recently. We did add 2 people to the reservation close to the time of the reservation. We were seated in the basement. Not the greatest accomodation, smells like a basement!otherthan that the service was outstanding and the food magnificent! Would not hesitate to go again but would ask to not be in the basement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Restaurant North End BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014The food and atmosphere was superb. The service was A+ too!Special Features:
- Good stuff!OntheflyDined on 1/31/2014Lots of good places to eat in the North End - and this is one of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Eve DinnerVealchopDined on 12/31/2013NYE dinner was great. Very good food and service. It was a little crowded based on the holiday but we were seated on time and where we preferred. There appeared to be a few extra tables on the mix making the room a bit crowded but otherwise ok the bar was nicely laid out and it was newly renovated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While I did enjoy Villa Francesca,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013While I did enjoy Villa Francesca, it was a little too pricey. The food was very good, but I felt like their menu was lacking in many different areas. If you are not a seafood lover, this place is probably not for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family TraditionTraditionDined on 12/23/2013My 12 year old daughter wanted our family to start a new tradition of going into the North End around Christmas time. We chose this restaurant because my husband and I had been there before with friends at different times. We were so happy we made this as our choice because it was perfect! Thanks for a wonderful evening!Special Features: