432 Powell St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.scalasbistro.com/
- Phone: 4153958555x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:00am to 10:30am,
Weekend Breakfast: 8:00am to 10:30am
Brunch: 10am to 2pm - Sat and Sun
Lunch 11:30am to 3:00pm - Daily
Dinner 5:15pm to 11:00pm - Daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Larry Finn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
We can easily accommodate all types of meetings, business functions, social events and wedding celebrations.
- Special Events: Please contact Steven Thrun for any private dining needs at 415-395-8506 or email@example.com
A word from Scala's Bistro
Since 1995, Scala's Bistro has garnered a reputation for classic, elegant dining. Warm, earth tones, original murals, beaded bistro lamps, and rich, mahogany booths evoke a dramatic Old World café. Fresh, innovative, Italian and Mediterranean-inspired dishes enhance the Scala’s menu while continuing to pay homage to the old Scala’s favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scala's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
281 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)neighborhood gem (97)special occasion (91)great for lunch (66)romantic (59)notable wine list (56)good for groups (43)hot spot (41)vibrant bar scene (39)late-night find (33)great for brunch (31)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- I was pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2008I was pleasantly surprised by the experience overall.Special Features:
- Going to dinner at a restaurantKrisVIPDined on 8/5/2008Going to dinner at a restaurant around Union Square in the height of tourist season is always iffy, however, the theater required something nearby and Scala's fit the playbill. The bar is a welcome relief to people walking around all day, and the food is pretty good. I prefer it in the winter when the (hopeful) rains necessitate hearty Italian comfort food, and the crowds have thinned.Special Features:
- We have come here for yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2008We have come here for years and had not been back in awhile for various reasons. The staff seems to have changed and I missed the familiar faces and frankly, the service. We also had to wait an unusually long time for both a shared appetizer and especially for our entrees. The restaurant was not the busy at the time. We will go back, but not as often as we used to.
- Good place to have a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/8/2008Good place to have a nice dinner before going to the theater. Unpretentious, pleasing atmosphere with attentive waitstaff.
- We have visited San Francisco,OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/5/2008We have visited San Francisco, now one of favorite cities in the world, about five times now in the last three years. The city has some of the best restaurants in the country, and while we love to try new places, we have found Scala's Bistro to be so good as to become a must visit for us. The food was once again fantastic, and we were especially thrilled with Umberto, our server, who was extremely charming, gave great recommendations, and helped guarantee we will continue to put Scala's on our list every time we are fortunate enough to get to San Francisco.Special Features:
- We've eaten at Scala's dozensOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/2/2008We've eaten at Scala's dozens of times and have rarely been disappointed. We prefer it for lunch, but an early dinner is nice as well. It's far better than you'd expect from a hotel restaurant.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful windowOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/1/2008We had a wonderful window table, excellent food and a wonderful server; a memorable evening! Scala's will definately be one of our favorites that we return too when visiting San Fran. When we arrived, they acted like they were waiting for us! Everyone was so friendly and polite. We only booked the reservation because it was listed on Open Table; we are once again pleased with the entire process and so glad we went to Scala's.Special Features:
- We had an exceptional waiter,RingLeader1VIPDined on 6/30/2008We had an exceptional waiter, very knowledgeable and pleasant. While the food is good, the pricing is a little on the steeper side, would go back though.Special Features:
- Although the server was excellentTriddyDined on 6/29/2008Although the server was excellent the hostess, (our first impression!), was less than impressive. This was the first visit for our party of 4 and had we not been on a time schedule we probably would have sought another restaurant given the greeting, or lack of,that she provided. We had a reservation and we arrived about 15 minutes early for the reservation. The hostess informed us that we would have to wait, even though it was not busy, and she seated walk-ins ahead of us. When she finally decided to seat us it was in front of the kitchen, even though there were many other available tables. Upon asking, she did re-seat us begrudgeingly. Will we return.....only because the "Breakfast at Tiffany's" are to die for!Special Features:
- We have been dining at Scala'sOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2008We have been dining at Scala's for over 5 years. During ACT theater season, we dine once a month. We drive in from Northern California. On June 28, 2008,the meat on the Sliders plate was poor quality. A lot of fat & ruffage. What a disappointment! I mentioned it to the host and he seemed non-plussed, not interested. We hope Scala's makes a change for the better in the meat quality and host. Its a wonderful place other wise.Special Features:
- food was delicious once isOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2008food was delicious once is was cooked. ordered a medium well steak and it came back rare. service was awful until i requested a new waitress. overall a good restraunt but would not put it on my return list for future visits to san fransisco and would not recommend to anyone.
- This used to be our favoritenlk1Dined on 6/26/2008This used to be our favorite theatre restaurant. The food has really gone down hill. The menu has remained the same forever and the quality needs to be raised.The location works in its favor, but only for so long.
- Service by the wait staffMikeVIPDined on 6/25/2008Service by the wait staff was outstanding. I rated the restaurant's overall service only as very good because when we were taken to a table immediately adjoing the entry to the kitchen after arriving ten minutes before the restaurant opened and waiting patiently to be seated, the hostess hesitated at moving us to another table away from the kitchen when we requested one. The restaurant was nearly empty at that time and was still not filled when we departed 90 minutes later, so there was virtually no reason not to have been seated at a better table rather than taking us directly to the one next to the kitchen in a nearly empty restaurant.Special Features:
- We always like to dine atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/23/2008We always like to dine at Scala's when we visit the city. We like the atmosphere and the food is always consistant. The waiters always friendly.Special Features:
- We were tempted by the convenientthecriticVIPDined on 6/22/2008We were tempted by the convenient location and 1000 point bonus but wish we had selected one of the other San Fancisco Restaurants that serve outstanding food. We won't be back to Scala.
- Bar tables were not avalibleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2008Bar tables were not avalible because they were being set for future dinner reservations, that was not a good thing as it is a great space to be in the bar before being seatedSpecial Features:
- The food was good. The salads,OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/17/2008The food was good. The salads, in particular, were outstanding. The service was kind of indifferent. Overall, it was fine.
- We have been enjoying Scala'sSudsDined on 6/15/2008We have been enjoying Scala's Bistro for several years, it is always a go to restaurant when we are in for ACT plays on Sundays.Special Features:
- i am a lifelong customer ofOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/14/2008i am a lifelong customer of Sacals, it is my favorite place to go in SF. i hope the feedback below helps - no matter what, you deserve an A+ empty water and ice tea all night long, waiter did know the specials, said he would come right back with the info and never did - we ordered our next course from someone else (maybe a bus boy?) we sat right next to the host stand, only the watch the 3-5 staffers gossip and goof off all night, that was hard to watch when we were constantly waiting for our waiter to return. food was beyond great, and the setting is very elegant and clean. thanks for listening...
- This was our 5th time there,OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/14/2008This was our 5th time there, and the service has really slipped. Also, the surf and turf apitiser was not very good compared to prior visits. I was rather disappointed.Special Features:
- Wonderful, historic atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/13/2008Wonderful, historic atmosphere! Service was friendly and attentive. Desserts delicious. Mussels OK for out of season, but a bit dry & needed more sauce. Main pasta dishes were so-so; however the linguine with clams was unusual and very tasty. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- We eat at Scala's when weOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/1/2008We eat at Scala's when we go to San Francisco. Love the food and traditionally the service is excellent. This time our server did not have much of a personality and was not easy to track down. We went on Sunday at 11:00 am. I did not realize they only had a brunch menu which we were somewhatdisappointed on. We wanted to eat a lunch. But the brunch was excellent too. I just wanted their Linguine w/Clam.
- Dinner at Scala's was a giftOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2008Dinner at Scala's was a gift from our son John in celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary. It set the tone for the entire evening - very romantic. Our daughter Dana - John's twin - put us up overnight at the Grand Hyatt. The glow of that special weekend has lingered and I now want to start dating my husband. We'll be back as someone once said. Thank you for a truly memorable evening. Marcia KingSpecial Features:
- I was shocked at how thisOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/25/2008I was shocked at how this place has deteriorated in almost every aspect. It felt like a Denny's! The eggwhite omelette was rubbery and like a fried egg, the service was inattentive, the vibe was way off. We barely got bread and had to pay $2.50 to get toast! Not on my list again unless I hear about a real turnaround. Sad, it used to be a really good place for quality of food, value and service. Thank God they couldn't screw up the half bottle of Schramsberg.
- One of our all-time UnioncarmelvillagerVIPDined on 5/24/2008One of our all-time Union Square favorites. The restaurant has been very consistent with atmosphere, quality and service. New chef has taken the menu and preparations up a notch or two and the food is even better than before. They also always accommodate our request for specific seating which is most appreciated.Special Features:
- Scala's is one of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/22/2008Scala's is one of the best restaurants in San Francisco it is my favorite one and everytime i am in SFO i will dine there!, Service is impecable, food is outstanding, the place is just the best atmosphere to have a memorable dinner! congratulations!!Special Features:
- This used to be our favoritenlk1Dined on 5/20/2008This used to be our favorite "theatre" spot. With the change in chefs, the food has really declined. It's too bad.
- We have been to Scala's BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/20/2008We have been to Scala's Bistro many times. The food is good (though not as good as it was in the past.)The service is always very good. The location is terrific as a lunch spot.Special Features:
- As always a great experienceRobert99VIPDined on 5/17/2008As always a great experience with only "service" a little off the mark. Somewhat forgiveable since the place is jammed - and we like the bustle.Special Features:
- Scala's is a true San FranciscohmmmVIPDined on 5/17/2008Scala's is a true San Francisco treat. The food is delicious, the people-watching is entertaining, and the service is excellent. They remember locals and treat them with special care, but I especially love to bring friends from out of town.Special Features:
- Wonderful as always -- oneOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/16/2008Wonderful as always -- one of our favorite San Francisco experiences!Special Features:
- Scala's Bistro is one of ourOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/13/2008Scala's Bistro is one of our favorite places to eat in SF. We have never had a bad meal and the service has always been friendly, efficient and prompt.Special Features:
- We go here when ever we areOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/12/2008We go here when ever we are in the City for just a day of shopping. It never disapoints.Special Features:
- Mother's Day and we just flewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2008Mother's Day and we just flew in from New York. The service was awesome, the ambience was beautiful yet relaxed. Food was delicious and served promptly. Very friendly and competent staff.Special Features:
- I've eaten at Scala's BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2008I've eaten at Scala's Bistro several times after going to the theater and have never been disappointed in our meal. The service has also always been outstanding.Special Features:
- Noon rez on Mothr's Day. OurMission13Dined on 5/11/2008Noon rez on Mothr's Day. Our waiter was one of the most professional I have encountered in a long time. Negative-called ahead to make sure that there was valet parking. Hostess said yes. Got there with the 90y/o mom with VERY limited mobility and was told lot is"always full on Sun morning" as lot is shared with the Sir Francis Drake Hotel. More honesty(or good information)-would have taken a cab! After paying the non-valadated parking, wer could have taken a lemo! Added a lot of stess to the day PS the 90 y/o and my dad, who is no longer alive, loved this spotSpecial Features:
- We have been to Scala's BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2008We have been to Scala's Bistro many times and always enjoyed the food. They gave us a nice quiet corner booth for four people.Special Features:
- have been going to scala'ssfranfVIPDined on 5/10/2008have been going to scala's since it opened and never am disappointed. a real favorite and highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Reservations are a must Friday-SundOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2008Reservations are a must Friday-Sunday. I was very fortunate to have been able to make last minute arrangements through Open Table. I heard the hostess telling walk-ins that the wait was an hour and a half to two hours. Service from the start was excellent Our waiter, Bill, was the BEST. Service was AMAZING! He was very knowledgeable w/ what wine's went well w/ what food. The Chilean sea bass was amazing. The Chocolate IV dessert was amazing, but I think it may have been a bit overkill on chocolate for my taste (the true chocolate fan would love this!!) The restaurant was extremely loud and crowded, though I didn't mind. Seating was very close to other guests, however, again I didn't mind. Not for someone wanting a romantic dinner. A+Special Features:
- We love to eat here. TheyJoyandBoysDined on 5/8/2008We love to eat here. They always remember us. The food is always delicious. The salads are delightful and plentiful. The bread arrives quickly and is very tasty. The menu has very good choices and has lots of delicious appetizers. We go to this restaurant often because of the great food and service. We have no complaints. Simply lovely. Last night we had the fresh halibut which my husband loved. I had the scallops which were delicious and filling. My husband finished off his dinner with Vanilla ice cream with a wonderful chocolate fudge poured on top. I had a green salad of mixed greens. It was so filling and scrumptious. My husband had the Ceasar Salad with a large amount of shaved parmesian on top. Very large and tasty. GREAT!Special Features: