432 Powell St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.scalasbistro.com/
- Phone: 4153958555x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:00am to 10:30am,
Weekend Breakfast: 8:00am to 10:30am
Brunch: 10am to 2pm - Sat and Sun
Lunch 11:30am to 3:00pm - Daily
Dinner 5:15pm to 11:00pm - Daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Larry Finn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
We can easily accommodate all types of meetings, business functions, social events and wedding celebrations.
- Special Events: Please contact Steven Thrun for any private dining needs at 415-395-8506 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Scala's Bistro
Since 1995, Scala's Bistro has garnered a reputation for classic, elegant dining. Warm, earth tones, original murals, beaded bistro lamps, and rich, mahogany booths evoke a dramatic Old World café. Fresh, innovative, Italian and Mediterranean-inspired dishes enhance the Scala’s menu while continuing to pay homage to the old Scala’s favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scala's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
305 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (119)neighborhood gem (105)special occasion (95)great for lunch (73)romantic (59)notable wine list (56)good for groups (49)vibrant bar scene (42)hot spot (41)late-night find (31)great for brunch (31)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- ExcellentDutchVIPDined on 8/26/2014Service is friendly and professional. Atmosphere is upscale Parisian bistro. Lighting and noise level aren't great, especially for anyone with the usual vision and hearing deterioration of age; but that seems to be par for the course these days: if you can read the menu without a flashlight or hear your companions without cupping your ear, it must be an Olive Garden. (Age discrimination class action, anyone?) The food was terrific. The batter for my fritto misto appetizer was light, crunchy and nearly oil-free. The saffron pappardelle with clams was truly al dente with a wonderfully-balance sauce that complemented the clams. Friends had an excellent tomato/watermelon salad and a different pasta dish, equally good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy!!!mangiabeneDined on 8/24/2014We found the restaurant extremely noisy. I wouldn't call it energetic (noise level rating above), I'd call it plain old 'bad'. Although the food was good, I would not go again as I like to hear what my table mates are saying and be able to carry on a conversation. Also, the lighting was too low. We had to use a flashlight to read the menu, even our young guests. I think they have crowded in too many tables. The waitress (small young lady) accidentally knocked over a wine glass on the table next to us as she stood between the two tables. We sat at the bench-chairs table. A diner does not care to see the backside of a wait person so close to their table.
- lunch before the showbellacucina55Dined on 8/24/2014I have always enjoyed Scala's Bistro. It is a great spot before seeing a show in the city or stopping in to have lunch while shopping. The food is good, consistent, with a varied menu.Special Features:
- nothing specialserviceDined on 8/23/2014food was good, nothing to write home about. waiter was mono tone with no personality, but ok if your a robot.
- Anniversary DinnerexPasoResidentDined on 8/23/2014Whenever my wife and I are in San Francisco we dine at Scala's at least once. We arrived early and went to the bar. The service was great and the drinks were perfect! When we sat for dinner we felt like family, Anda was very friendly and gave great service. If you are near Union Square, stop by Scala's, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Lackluster service on 8/23/14byronrx2Dined on 8/23/2014Waiter was disappointing. Wasn't really engaged in serving us and had a rather disinterested attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scala's A MustKarenahDined on 8/23/2014Scala's Restaurant has a fantastic chef who prepares the freshest, tastiest food you could ever want. No matter what you select from the menu, it's guaranteed to be delicious!Special Features:
- Scala's is climbing high!Roo2614Dined on 8/22/2014Great restaurant in every way! Service, food, ambiance! Located downtown, makes it easy to park, two garages very near. Cable cars passing through, San Francisco vibe at its best! We found that the food has been improved, even though it was always good. Now, we think the food at Scala's is climbing to new heights! Good job! We will be back and bring friends and guests from out of town.Special Features:
- WonderfulSuburbanSamDined on 8/22/2014We were here on vacation and a friend in the area highly recommeneed Scala. She was so right about finding great food and atmosphere here. Everything was so good, from the salad to entree to dessert and wine and we definitely overindulged. Walked a few more hills the next day in penance. Well worth it - great value.Special Features:
- Don't order eggplant pizzaMaxDinerDined on 8/22/2014Soggy overly smokey heaps of eggplant on underdone crust and barely melted cheese. Scala should ditch this menu item entirely.
- Memorable On Every Level!BeautifulDiningDined on 8/19/2014Escorted to a rich wood-framed booth beneath gorgeous architectural ceilings, our waiter immediately made us feel like it was his honor to make this a special culinary experience. It was! The wine list was extensive, the food incredible ( halibut and salmon were our choices..flaky and crisp on the surface, moist, succulent and flavorful inside..perfectly cooked, and beautifully presented with a mouth watering array of varied vegetables). The flour -less chocolate cake was a spiritual experience , just heavenly, perched on a dark, dark chocolate cookie base, and garnished with a chocolate lattice cookie speared into the top. So happy we made this reservation. Epitome of the San Francisco vibe! So looking forward to returning, soon!!Special Features:
- Delicious pork sugo!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The pasta with pork sugo was delicious! The pork was tender and the sauce was a perfect tomato sauce. Try their mussels! Lots of herbs and save your bread to dip in the sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sandeattheriver40Sandeattheriver40Dined on 8/15/2014The very best pasta dishes we have had in San Francisco. A popular venue, always packed and "energetic"! Not so suitable for large groups, as tables are best for 4.Special Features:
- Food was deleeecious service was okWininginNapaDined on 8/14/2014Had to go track down food, and water, however the recommended dish was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!luvgoodfoodDined on 8/9/2014I ate here for dinner with another couple and had a terrific time. Everyone loved their food and we found a great bottle of wine of which we had 2. Waiter was very attentive and nice. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLuv2dineDined on 8/9/2014As usual, it was fantastic. The tomato and watermelon salad was superb. The service was faultless. Thank you for making my mother's 80th birthday special. It is one of my favorite haunts when we go down to the city.Special Features:
- Always ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Whenever we are in the city, we try and make a stop at Scala's. The food is always delicious, the service is great, and we leave very happy with our overall experience.Special Features:
- Great place for brunchKatyGranDined on 8/9/2014Great menu choices, friendly and efficient service, brilliant cocktails and a convenient location. It's not cheap but you definitely get what you pay for.Special Features:
- ChrissieVIPDined on 8/8/2014always a nice meal and great staff that serves their guests.Special Features:
- OpenTable Winner!PhxFoodieDined on 8/7/2014The host & servers were very good... their suggestions were spot on, delicious food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Scalabobbies75thVIPDined on 8/7/2014Have not been to Scala's is years, will not be back. Service was OK once they waited on you, but we had to ask before they did wait upon us. Drinks took a long time to arrive, and when it did it was not right. Menu is limited and pricey. Had to ask for grated cheese, and drinks. Food was just OK. Overall, our lunch was not satisfying. With so many good restaurants in SF, how can Scala's survive?
- Favorite 'Classy' San FranciscorosytastebudsDined on 8/5/2014I bring my visiting guests, my anniversary date, and my grown kids birthday celebrations here--Scala always delivers delicious seafood and steaks, fresh pastas, great drinks, classy presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So sad....outoftownerDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant popped up when I was looking for a pre-theatre place to eat, but I don't expect to get my dinner 5 minutes after I order it. While my son's ravioli was adequate, the linguine with clam sauce was past bad. I think I've had rubber bands with less elasticity. It was also odd one had to ask for bread in an Italian restaurant. And for two entrees it cost over $50....unbelievable.
- Unexpectly Great!Jals1955Dined on 8/4/2014The Octupus Salad and Linguini with clams were superb. Service is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFFoodieSFFoodieDined on 8/4/2014The service was exceptional, the dining room old SF quaint but was disappointed in the fried green tomatoes … tough and polenta hard otherwise it was a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pastahbfam14VIPDined on 8/3/2014The pasta at Scala's is out of this world! Fresh and innovative. Something for everyone, even kids.Special Features:
- Great PizzajinjogDined on 8/2/2014All of Scala's food looked fantastic but we had an excellent Caesar salad (and I am picky because I make great caesar) and a sausage pizza. The pizza came out with green peppers on it and there are only two foods on the planet I don't like and one is cooked green peppers (the other is canned peas fyi). Scala's immediately made me another pizza without question. It was really great - fresh mozzarella etc. The service was great too!Special Features:
- Scala's Is Always GreatHappyVIPDined on 8/2/2014The combination of service, menu and ambiance are always such a perfect blend. The salmon is cooked perfectly and my companions enjoyed the hangar steak. Fresh salads and vegetables are standard. The HUGE difference-maker is the reception and trenmendous greeting on arrival. The restaurant is always busy and on a wait and, yet, the hostess brings a family-owned sense of friendship and concern for each arrivee. That greeting and recognition make Scala's one of my San Francisco favorites.
- Love ScalamichelleVIPDined on 8/1/2014We go each time we get to San Francisco and it never disappoints. The wait staff is friendly and professional and doesn't seam to have too many tables to be attentive. Food is always excellent. Will go back again. The hostess is awesome, she runs the place as if it were hers (maybe it is?) and is always accommodating in the midst of chaos!Special Features:
- Friendly and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We were greeted warmly by the hostess. The seating was comfortable. Loved the pork chop. Loved the Greek yogurt dessert. Great place for a conversation with a friend or friends.Special Features:
- GREAT RESTAURANT FOR LUNCHOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/1/2014Scala's Bistro is a family dining restaurant. The pizzas are excellent, and the decor has an old world charm. The service tends to be slow at times, however the staff is friendly. Menu choices are great, wine list has some good labels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good!pennyDined on 7/30/2014That time of year for Squash Blossom flat bread--one of the best creations I've ever tasted! Anda Zvingule is the server you want!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningVirginiaDined on 7/26/2014Great spot for a fun evening....very good food and active ambience! Dependable choice for entertaining.....Special Features:
- Good food and service but noisyEdBishopDined on 7/25/2014Good things are foods such pizza and pastas, wines and service. As the restaurant is dark and noisy, it might be not suitable for family but for friends.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceMald1990Dined on 7/25/2014Both the Halibut and Chicken dishes over cooked. Waiter rushed. Ambience nice but noisy. With so many restsurants in San Francisco, would choose elsewhere.Special Features:
- Good service, ambience for lunchpurrrDined on 7/25/2014Great location off union square. Pleasant, quiet ambience and good service for a weekday business lunch. Enjoyed the fritto misto and cobb salad. Did the job nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway Great!ChrisNZDined on 7/25/2014We had lunch, and our waiter was very helpful with recommendations. A little too helpful. He tended to monopolize our time, and made too many trips to our table to suggest food items we should consider. The food was fabulous as usual, and although I "complain", it is hard to find fault with such a friendly, foodie restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my all time favoritesSJSPECVIPDined on 7/20/2014Anytime I am visiting the Bay Area, I make sure I get one dinner in at Scala's Bistro--it is that good. I have taken many people there over the past 9 years, and everyone, no exceptions, has loved it as well. One of my top 5 restaurants, and one I will continue to return to.Special Features:
- 5:30 PM Early DinnerMarkDeeDined on 7/18/2014Went on a Friday and so glad we had reservations because it filled up quickly. Fast friendly service. Raviloi's and clam linguini were both excellent ! Only bummer was the bathroom facilities are very small and located up an elevator. Have had dinner at Scala's several times over the years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnneVIPDined on 7/16/2014Had a flawless evening; we shared pizza as an appetizer; them ordered salads; then entrees; literally everything was outstanding. Had a great bottle of Duckhorn Merlot. I love this restaurant; my favorite Italian restaurant in San Francisco Bay Area.Special Features: