261 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lavoileboston.net/
- Phone: 6175874200x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Sunday: Lunch 12:00-3:00
Monday- Thursday: Dinner 5:00-10:00
Friday& Saturday: Dinner 5:00- 10:30
Sunday: Dinner 5:00- 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Raphael Lambert
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact directly.
- Private Party Contact: Jerome 6175874200x
A word from La Voile
La Voile is an authentic French brasserie, opened in Cannes in 1947. After a few years under a new ownership, it relocated to Boston in 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Voile reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (122)fit for foodies (116)neighborhood gem (110)romantic (99)special occasion (99)notable wine list (71)great for lunch (61)good for groups (19)great for brunch (17)hot spot (17)scenic view (13)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- Great relaxed French restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Fantastic French food. Attentive but unobtrusive service. Very authentic with most of the servers of French background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible service with ok foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014Our waiter was from France and did not speak English very well. He was not listening to us asking questions and did not tell us the specials. I think that he wanted to rush us out to turn the table that night. We dined outside and La Voile has some wines on a table outside for the staff to service the guests wines by the glass. Our waiter poured himself several small glasses of wine while we dined. Maybe that is why he could not understand us. The food was ok, but the fish was overpriced. With so many choices in the Back Bay, why dine where the staff cannot even tell you the specials?
- Five StarsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Great Spot! Great Food! Great Service! My wife and I love La Voile for any occasion.Special Features:
- Outstanding as usualbackbayfoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014We love La Voile. "Taste of France" menu is a great deal at $42 for appetizer, entree and dessert, and the food as always is fabulous. The only issue was that we made a reservation, noting the preference for an outdoor table, but they instead reserved a table for us inside, so we had to wait 20 min. for our patio table. We waited in the nice cozy bar so not a major problem, and the patio was very much worth the wait on a warm summer Saturday night on Newbury St.Special Features:
- Very pleasantflyfishVIPDined on 8/9/2014Very pleasant outdoor dining although tables very close together. Prix fixe a good choice. Good people watching spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, okay serviceFoodandWine89VIPDined on 8/4/2014Walking down into La Viole makes you feel like you are walking into a French Bistro straight off of the streets of Paris. The ambience of the entire restaurant just makes you want to sit there for hours eat cheese and drink wine. We had a wonderful dinner! The presentation at the table with the rice and the veal stew, superb! My only complaint was that the service was a little misguided. One server greeted us, then another server greeted us and both came back asking about the specials and wanting to take our order I do not think they knew they who actually had the table. When it came time to get the bill we literally waited for 20-25 minutes to get the check. we finally flagged down a commis to get it. Not a great way to end the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJoanBDined on 7/28/2014We came here with relatives from England and had a wonderful evening. I especially loved the foie gras I love going here. Service and food always greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La VoileJMonroeDined on 7/26/2014La Voile whisks you away to Provence with its color palate and nautical theme. The food is authentic and to die for! Many Newbury Street restaurants have outdoor spaces, so go inside to dine at La Voile and for just a few hours, you're in Peter Mayle country!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below par based on previous times322BBFoodieDined on 7/26/2014I am a big fan of La Voile and have been there many times. This time there were a few big disappointments. A beet salad was ordered by one of our group that contained no beets. One of our party ordered soup that was served without a spoon.I ordered a bottle of Rose from Provence that was warm. I was presented it to taste, my sip was warm and I thought it was from sitting in the ice bucket that the top part hadn't chilled yet but the entire bottle was warm. We ordered a second bottle of the same and it was only slightly chilled. These are finer points of service that I wouldn't expect to be missed at La Voile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little piece of FranceToujourslacuisineVIPDined on 7/24/2014La Voile means sail, and this charming brasserie (not bistro as the menu informs us) was a pleasure for lunch. You can sit outside, in a small sidewalk-side set of tables, or inside and try to figure out the French saying emblazoned around the room. Wonderfull musselsSpecial Features:
- OK.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014The food and wine was ok, but not what I have expected from many fine french venues.Special Features:
- A real French restaurant!StephaneDined on 7/19/2014The quality of the food is comparable to the great tables in Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GGirlVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food never disappoints. EVERYTHING is delicious and fresh, classic french. Service is efficient and friendly. Wonderful patio dining on a beautiful Boston evening.Special Features:
- good food, would definitely go backfrankDined on 7/18/2014I do not consider Boston as a place for great food in general. However, I would definitely say that this place was a nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceMetooDined on 7/18/2014We ate outside ,and I am glad we did. It was very loud inside. Both outside and inside were filled. The food was great. We had duck and a lobster and scallop risotto -- salad and a three cheese plate to start. My creme brulee was excellent. There was a sommelier who helped us choose an excellent bottle of wine. The teapot was brought before dessert to steep - the correct way that very few places do correctly. You have many servers - all of whom were top notch. And, they all spoke French and English.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDelish1VIPDined on 7/18/2014Had a date night with my husband this past Friday night. We heard great things about this restaurant but I'm sad to say they came short on my meal. Beet salad was just okay with much more greens than beets but I did enjoy the dressing. My main meal Duck breast was very tough to the point with some pieces have chewing for so long I could not swallow. I also ordered it medium but it was served very rare. I wanted to send back but we had waited so long and my husband had ordered fish so thought it was not worth it. I love fish but wanted to have a French dish they should do well this is why I was disappointed. My husbands fish was good so perhaps we try one more time. I did like the atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favoritemamb333Dined on 7/17/2014We've been going to La Voile since it opened, love it every day more. We even went through a phase of trying to find a "second favorite" restaurant, for diversity in our special dinner nights, but slowly concluded that it's ok to have the one and only favorite. Having lived in France several years, what we like about this restaurant is not only the delicious food (my husband's favorite is the terrine de foie followed by entrecôte, my favorite is the cheese platter and the lobster+risotto), but the ambiance and service, which make you feel in a corner French restaurant. Expect the restaurant manager to help you seat, get you water, and prepare your fish at your table, even when he has thirty more tables and ten waiters to care for.Special Features:
- regulars since openingMattDined on 7/16/2014fabulous food that friends from Monaco say is absolutely authentic. the staff are polite, accommodating to every quirk. we made an open table reservation which we changed up until we showed up and they were completely unflappable. wonder if you might have more than one rose since provence is where we first learned their range and subtlety. we recommended place to Dean of the BU school of public health and his Russian bride; La Voile was the only thing they remembered from the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/13/2014A great spot for outside dining. Excellent food usually though we both ordered steak this time and both were over cooked. The waiter was excellent.Special Features:
- Consistently great food.drbogden1VIPDined on 7/11/2014Two of us dined on a Friday nite of Bastille day weekend. Place was packed (great sign). So we were anticipating an understandable somewhat slower-than-usual service, without detracting from score. We were a few mins early, but seated promptly within 3-5 mins. However, once at table, it was just shy of 15 mins before any water and bread basket -- one of the number one rules in the food industry is to pacify patrons during wait. Drink order was then taken when water and bread hit table (I little late by this point). Final point about what many would consider a common courtesy: Spreadable butter for the bread. Cold butter makes for awkward placement onto the otherwise delicious, warm and fresh bread. Service following was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful afternoonLove2Dined on 7/6/2014This was our first visit. While the food was exceptional, especially the foie gras and a great wine and price range. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. We look forward to a return visit. We also enjoyed the sailing ship ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vive la FranceRichDined on 7/5/2014We had a spread of escargot, terrain, moules and a panini. All were very good. Some of the servers speak French, adding to ambience. Perhaps because we had high expectations we were pleased with what he had but were not awed. The restaurant itself is fine. Their outside seating is very attractive but it was too hot during lunch time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good duck, bad duckToniottDined on 7/3/20142nd visit. Husband had the magret de canard, which was fantastic - meaty, perfectly cooked, great sauce and sides. I had the duck confit salad. Not good. For some reason known only to the chef, the confit was deep-fried (seemingly). What came out was like duck jerky - hard, practically impossible to get off the bone, and no flavor. Our waiter did not seem to know what to do when I told him the confit was terrible, so he did nothing. The service overall was excellent, but I would have expected a comp on the salad or at least a dessert offering. Dessert - husband got the molten chocolate cake. Great flavor but odd, gummy texture. Apple tart was just ok; best part was the ice cream. We'll try La Voile at least once more.Special Features:
- La Voile: 5 Star DiningheadersruleDined on 7/2/2014Delicious food, intimate yet quite comfortable and romantic. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary there and highly recommend it to other for a special occasion The Taste of France prix fixe dinner get lots of choices and was a nice value. Excellent waiter and service and then to top off the night we were served complimentary glasses of champaign. La Voile - 5-star evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!backbayfoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014My wife and I took our daughter there for her birthday and everything was outstanding. The outside seating on Newbury is very festive, even late on a Sunday evening. The three course menu for $42 was delicious (I had steak and my wife had seared duck breast), and a great value. Servers all seem to be French (some language issues), but totally friendly, efficient and unpretentious. One of our favorites in Back Bay.Special Features:
- Our FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014We have fallen in love with La Voile! My wife and I went for the first time about 2 months ago, and we have been back several times since. Great food and Great People!Special Features:
- Délicieux !FrenchieVIPDined on 6/28/2014I am French, Paris-born, and I highly recommend La Voile to anybody who wants to try French cuisine, without it being too fancy or outrageously expensive. La Voile is also great for outdoors dining - the inside décor is neat too, though! I haven't been to the original bistrot in Cannes, but was impressed with this Bostonian version. It's lovely, quite typical and authentic. The food was excellent, with an extensive wine list. Service was great (surprisingly, as many waiters were from France, where service is notoriously bad). Note: in France, it is the étiquette to wait well after everybody is done eating to remove the plates from the table, and it would be rude to rush to "get it out of the way", as they usually do here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite!BackBayArtistVIPDined on 6/28/2014La Voile is my favorite place to enjoy a quiet meal with friends. The authentic French food was very well prepared and beautifully presented. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- ferchiDined on 6/27/2014everything was good except for the level of noise when we arrived we couldn't even listen to each other in a normal conversation food was good and so the serviceSpecial Features:
- Very accommodatingEatingadventurerDined on 6/26/2014We arrived late a little after 10 PM and they were kind enough to reopen the kitchen for us. We didn't want to be a problem so we told them to make 4 appetizers and 4 entres w/o us looking at the menu. They did a fantastic job. Thanks Carlos.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal!spikesfoodDined on 6/26/2014My wife and I continue to return to La Voile as the meal never disappoints. The food is exquisite, the service impeccable. The waitstaff truly make you feel special. Jerome was especially nice. My parents stopped by to say hi at the end of the meal and he found a new table for the four of us and gave us a free glass of champaigne. What a wonderful way to end our truly special meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/25/2014Good natured, cheerful but well-trained server. Not a stuffy formal French-restaurant server. Not much anyone can do if a herd of motorcyclists circle the block several times while you're eating outside.Special Features:
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/23/2014The service the food the ambiance were perfect pricing was very fairSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely anniversary dinnermontrealaiseDined on 6/22/2014We like to go to special (but not pretentious) places for special occasions & La Voile is becoming one of our favourites. We had a glass of wine each & the $42 "Taste of France" menu, starting with a chèvre amuse-bouche. We became addicted to fish soup in the south of France - La Voile makes a great traditional version. For main courses, my husband had duck & I had entrecôte. Both were very tasty, prepared to specifications, with fine sauces & accompaniments. Dessert for me was chocolate lava cake & for him apple tart frangipane - both elegantly plated & delicious. Then, complimentary anniversary champagne digestifs! Service was excellent, friendly & efficient. Ambience was very nice - light music, good lighting. A la prochaine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014We chose to have brunch outdoors as it was a beautiful, sunny day. We were pleasantly surprised that the service was as attentive as it usually is in the dinning room... The food was well prepared and the portions were abundant. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris on Beacon St.PeterDined on 6/20/2014La Voile is a delightful French bistro. We ave enjoyed both lunch and dinner here and every time has been a great experience. The last time was our first time to eat outside on the terrace and it brought back memories of Paris. The food is excellent and service efficient and pleasant the staff are well informed as the wine and the menu. I strongly recommend La Voile for a romantic evening or a relaxed lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I live French foodAimeeDined on 6/15/2014The food was excellent, the service was great. I felt like I was in France, most of the servers speaks French which is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for eating outDebbieWhVIPDined on 6/15/2014Enjoyed our meal sitting outside on a beautiful day. Wait staff was particularly nice. Food was very good. We shared two salads and the scallop/lobster main dish. The salads were perfect, main dish was quite good, but very rich. Would have been too much to eat the whole thing!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodRolandVIPDined on 6/13/2014As always, the food was excellent at La Voile, whether you go with the menu or a la carte. The dishes are authentic french and taste great. While the restaurant was packed on Friday night, the service was still good.Special Features:
- Great authentic French foodbrianna21Dined on 6/12/2014Awesome food. If you're looking for an authentic French meal this is your place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.