261 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lavoileboston.net/
- Phone: 6175874200x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Sunday: Lunch 12:00-3:00
Monday- Thursday: Dinner 5:00-10:00
Friday& Saturday: Dinner 5:00- 10:30
Sunday: Dinner 5:00- 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Raphael Lambert
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact directly.
- Private Party Contact: Jerome 6175874200x
A word from La Voile
La Voile is an authentic French brasserie, opened in Cannes in 1947. After a few years under a new ownership, it relocated to Boston in 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Voile reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (115)fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (102)romantic (95)special occasion (95)notable wine list (64)great for lunch (57)good for groups (19)hot spot (18)great for brunch (15)scenic view (13)kid-friendly (11)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (6)Show More
- OK.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014The food and wine was ok, but not what I have expected from many fine french venues.Special Features:
- A real French restaurant!StephaneDined on 7/19/2014The quality of the food is comparable to the great tables in Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GGirlVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food never disappoints. EVERYTHING is delicious and fresh, classic french. Service is efficient and friendly. Wonderful patio dining on a beautiful Boston evening.Special Features:
- good food, would definitely go backfrankDined on 7/18/2014I do not consider Boston as a place for great food in general. However, I would definitely say that this place was a nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceMetooDined on 7/18/2014We ate outside ,and I am glad we did. It was very loud inside. Both outside and inside were filled. The food was great. We had duck and a lobster and scallop risotto -- salad and a three cheese plate to start. My creme brulee was excellent. There was a sommelier who helped us choose an excellent bottle of wine. The teapot was brought before dessert to steep - the correct way that very few places do correctly. You have many servers - all of whom were top notch. And, they all spoke French and English.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDelish1VIPDined on 7/18/2014Had a date night with my husband this past Friday night. We heard great things about this restaurant but I'm sad to say they came short on my meal. Beet salad was just okay with much more greens than beets but I did enjoy the dressing. My main meal Duck breast was very tough to the point with some pieces have chewing for so long I could not swallow. I also ordered it medium but it was served very rare. I wanted to send back but we had waited so long and my husband had ordered fish so thought it was not worth it. I love fish but wanted to have a French dish they should do well this is why I was disappointed. My husbands fish was good so perhaps we try one more time. I did like the atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favoritemamb333Dined on 7/17/2014We've been going to La Voile since it opened, love it every day more. We even went through a phase of trying to find a "second favorite" restaurant, for diversity in our special dinner nights, but slowly concluded that it's ok to have the one and only favorite. Having lived in France several years, what we like about this restaurant is not only the delicious food (my husband's favorite is the terrine de foie followed by entrecôte, my favorite is the cheese platter and the lobster+risotto), but the ambiance and service, which make you feel in a corner French restaurant. Expect the restaurant manager to help you seat, get you water, and prepare your fish at your table, even when he has thirty more tables and ten waiters to care for.Special Features:
- regulars since openingMattDined on 7/16/2014fabulous food that friends from Monaco say is absolutely authentic. the staff are polite, accommodating to every quirk. we made an open table reservation which we changed up until we showed up and they were completely unflappable. wonder if you might have more than one rose since provence is where we first learned their range and subtlety. we recommended place to Dean of the BU school of public health and his Russian bride; La Voile was the only thing they remembered from the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/13/2014A great spot for outside dining. Excellent food usually though we both ordered steak this time and both were over cooked. The waiter was excellent.Special Features:
- Consistently great food.drbogden1VIPDined on 7/11/2014Two of us dined on a Friday nite of Bastille day weekend. Place was packed (great sign). So we were anticipating an understandable somewhat slower-than-usual service, without detracting from score. We were a few mins early, but seated promptly within 3-5 mins. However, once at table, it was just shy of 15 mins before any water and bread basket -- one of the number one rules in the food industry is to pacify patrons during wait. Drink order was then taken when water and bread hit table (I little late by this point). Final point about what many would consider a common courtesy: Spreadable butter for the bread. Cold butter makes for awkward placement onto the otherwise delicious, warm and fresh bread. Service following was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful afternoonLove2Dined on 7/6/2014This was our first visit. While the food was exceptional, especially the foie gras and a great wine and price range. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. We look forward to a return visit. We also enjoyed the sailing ship ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vive la FranceRichDined on 7/5/2014We had a spread of escargot, terrain, moules and a panini. All were very good. Some of the servers speak French, adding to ambience. Perhaps because we had high expectations we were pleased with what he had but were not awed. The restaurant itself is fine. Their outside seating is very attractive but it was too hot during lunch time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good duck, bad duckToniottDined on 7/3/20142nd visit. Husband had the magret de canard, which was fantastic - meaty, perfectly cooked, great sauce and sides. I had the duck confit salad. Not good. For some reason known only to the chef, the confit was deep-fried (seemingly). What came out was like duck jerky - hard, practically impossible to get off the bone, and no flavor. Our waiter did not seem to know what to do when I told him the confit was terrible, so he did nothing. The service overall was excellent, but I would have expected a comp on the salad or at least a dessert offering. Dessert - husband got the molten chocolate cake. Great flavor but odd, gummy texture. Apple tart was just ok; best part was the ice cream. We'll try La Voile at least once more.Special Features:
- La Voile: 5 Star DiningheadersruleDined on 7/2/2014Delicious food, intimate yet quite comfortable and romantic. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary there and highly recommend it to other for a special occasion The Taste of France prix fixe dinner get lots of choices and was a nice value. Excellent waiter and service and then to top off the night we were served complimentary glasses of champaign. La Voile - 5-star evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!backbayfoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014My wife and I took our daughter there for her birthday and everything was outstanding. The outside seating on Newbury is very festive, even late on a Sunday evening. The three course menu for $42 was delicious (I had steak and my wife had seared duck breast), and a great value. Servers all seem to be French (some language issues), but totally friendly, efficient and unpretentious. One of our favorites in Back Bay.Special Features:
- Our FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014We have fallen in love with La Voile! My wife and I went for the first time about 2 months ago, and we have been back several times since. Great food and Great People!Special Features:
- Délicieux !FrenchieVIPDined on 6/28/2014I am French, Paris-born, and I highly recommend La Voile to anybody who wants to try French cuisine, without it being too fancy or outrageously expensive. La Voile is also great for outdoors dining - the inside décor is neat too, though! I haven't been to the original bistrot in Cannes, but was impressed with this Bostonian version. It's lovely, quite typical and authentic. The food was excellent, with an extensive wine list. Service was great (surprisingly, as many waiters were from France, where service is notoriously bad). Note: in France, it is the étiquette to wait well after everybody is done eating to remove the plates from the table, and it would be rude to rush to "get it out of the way", as they usually do here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite!BackBayArtistVIPDined on 6/28/2014La Voile is my favorite place to enjoy a quiet meal with friends. The authentic French food was very well prepared and beautifully presented. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- ferchiDined on 6/27/2014everything was good except for the level of noise when we arrived we couldn't even listen to each other in a normal conversation food was good and so the serviceSpecial Features:
- Very accommodatingEatingadventurerDined on 6/26/2014We arrived late a little after 10 PM and they were kind enough to reopen the kitchen for us. We didn't want to be a problem so we told them to make 4 appetizers and 4 entres w/o us looking at the menu. They did a fantastic job. Thanks Carlos.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal!spikesfoodDined on 6/26/2014My wife and I continue to return to La Voile as the meal never disappoints. The food is exquisite, the service impeccable. The waitstaff truly make you feel special. Jerome was especially nice. My parents stopped by to say hi at the end of the meal and he found a new table for the four of us and gave us a free glass of champaigne. What a wonderful way to end our truly special meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/25/2014Good natured, cheerful but well-trained server. Not a stuffy formal French-restaurant server. Not much anyone can do if a herd of motorcyclists circle the block several times while you're eating outside.Special Features:
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/23/2014The service the food the ambiance were perfect pricing was very fairSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely anniversary dinnermontrealaiseDined on 6/22/2014We like to go to special (but not pretentious) places for special occasions & La Voile is becoming one of our favourites. We had a glass of wine each & the $42 "Taste of France" menu, starting with a chèvre amuse-bouche. We became addicted to fish soup in the south of France - La Voile makes a great traditional version. For main courses, my husband had duck & I had entrecôte. Both were very tasty, prepared to specifications, with fine sauces & accompaniments. Dessert for me was chocolate lava cake & for him apple tart frangipane - both elegantly plated & delicious. Then, complimentary anniversary champagne digestifs! Service was excellent, friendly & efficient. Ambience was very nice - light music, good lighting. A la prochaine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014We chose to have brunch outdoors as it was a beautiful, sunny day. We were pleasantly surprised that the service was as attentive as it usually is in the dinning room... The food was well prepared and the portions were abundant. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris on Beacon St.PeterDined on 6/20/2014La Voile is a delightful French bistro. We ave enjoyed both lunch and dinner here and every time has been a great experience. The last time was our first time to eat outside on the terrace and it brought back memories of Paris. The food is excellent and service efficient and pleasant the staff are well informed as the wine and the menu. I strongly recommend La Voile for a romantic evening or a relaxed lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I live French foodAimeeDined on 6/15/2014The food was excellent, the service was great. I felt like I was in France, most of the servers speaks French which is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for eating outDebbieWhVIPDined on 6/15/2014Enjoyed our meal sitting outside on a beautiful day. Wait staff was particularly nice. Food was very good. We shared two salads and the scallop/lobster main dish. The salads were perfect, main dish was quite good, but very rich. Would have been too much to eat the whole thing!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodRolandVIPDined on 6/13/2014As always, the food was excellent at La Voile, whether you go with the menu or a la carte. The dishes are authentic french and taste great. While the restaurant was packed on Friday night, the service was still good.Special Features:
- Great authentic French foodbrianna21Dined on 6/12/2014Awesome food. If you're looking for an authentic French meal this is your place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another excellent mealichabod777VIPDined on 6/11/2014My French class took our instructor out for lunch to celebrate the end of the term. Lunch was enjoyed by all. I would describe the cuisine as being French bistro. The food is varied and quite good. The wine list has many bottles to please. Service was excellent. I WILL be back.Special Features:
- For ladies and men who lunchBahstanVIPDined on 6/11/2014This charming French bistro located on upper Newbury St. offers a unassumingly charming yet bustling place for lunch and I suspect dinner as well. It offers many delicately-sized salads and starters for ladies who lunch as well as heartier plats for more serious diners. The sunken outdoor patio is a gem for warm weather dining. My goal is to return for a real meal featuring one of those mid-sized plats.Special Features:
- Usually great, but not this week!DineOutOftenVIPDined on 6/11/2014This restaurant is usually a gem, but the lunch this week was not good. The waiter totally messed up our orders, was not attentive to the table, never checked back with us, and the quality of the food was not good when it did arrive. Our lunch took three hours to complete and we did not have an after lunch sweet, only coffee. Very unusual for this usually very fine restaurant. I brought three friends for lunch who had never been to LaVoile. Not sure they will return.Special Features:
- a piece of France in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014What a surprise ! You just hit the town and eat better french cuisine than , well, in some tourist regions of the homeland.Great compliments to the crew of La Voile. A la prochaine fois.Special Features:
- A new favoritedreemoDined on 6/8/2014Had dinner here a few weeks ago, everything was amazing... great friendly service, great food and wine, and great ambiance. Decor is really cool with large model ships and tasteful nautical themes. We had the veal blanquette and beouf bourguignon - delicious and filling. And then the molten cake was amazing. Had lunch on the outdoor patio a couple weeks later.... chicken panini is awesome! Service outside was slower and typically more French - one of our 3 entrees arrived >30 mins after the other 2 entrees, after we had to ask twice about it. Still, I will go back, can't believe it took me so long to learn about La Voile.Special Features:
- Magnifique!MinhTDined on 6/7/2014Due to our busy travelling schedule, we had to change our reservations twice and La Voile graceiously accepted. The food was amazing & the Bordeaux bottle we picked for our dinner was perfect! It was a very pleasant surprise to find out how reasonable it was for a three-course meal at this fine French restaurant in the Back Bay area. Our server was wonderful & we got to chat a bit about her education & future plans. We'll definitely go back whenever we visit Boston again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love their Foie gras !BarbaDined on 6/7/2014It is not our first time at La Voile and we always like to come back here. We went with my husband and my 2 kids. My daughter loves the place for their excellent meat and my son took some delicious mussels & fries. On my side, I love their foie gras and this is not something that you can find in a lot of restaurants in Boston. The weather was very nice on that evening and we were given a table on the outside terrace. Overall, we spent a very good evening and we had a very good French dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014The food was excellent and the wait staff was very accommodating. Very French atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French foodFrenchChefDined on 6/4/2014A limited menu but with wonderful choices of fish or meat. Loved the escargot in garlic/parsley butter! The delicious duck slices and veal stew were both cooked perfectly with excellent sauces. All the dishes were presented with flair. We had our warmed goat cheese with beets salad after the meal followed by a molten chocolate cake. A perfect ending for a birthday dinner. I must mention the wine extensive list with selections from all parts of France will appeal to the most discriminating connoisseur.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great French BistrobeaconDined on 5/31/2014Excellent French Bistro food and ambiance. Great service with friendly wait staffSpecial Features: