Chef Tony's - Bethesda
4926 St. Elmo Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Chef Tony's - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cheftonysbethesda.com/
- Phone: 3016543737
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Bottomless Mimosa Brunch Menu: 11 - 3pm, Dinner Seating until 8 pm. Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm. We are closed on Mondays but available for Private Parties. We also have the availability to rent out the entire restaurant for private functions, wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners or corporate affairs. Contact Chef Tony to work out a menu and arrangements to fulfill your needs.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Tony Marciante
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Reap the benefits of 24 years experience offering catered events from the staff of Chef Tony's. Anything from a backyard barbecue to the most upscale wedding can be planned with ease and within your budget. Our catering division has over 20 years in the industry providing upscale but affordable options. Allow our Chef owner to guide you to a great menu to complement your event including the availability of a full wine and bar service to complement your event. Download a helpful checklist at http://cheftonysbethesda.com/lunch-catering-menu.html
- Entertainment: Our restaurant features occasional live events including Poetry Reading, Jazz Music, Comedy Nights as well as Morning Business Leadership Breakfast Meetings. Contact Chef Tony if you have interest in working with our restaurant to feature your meeting group or offer your live entertainment suggestion. We provide complimentary WiFi and are happy to work with you to meet your needs and budget.
- Special Events: Any kind of event we can imagine, we make it happen. When other facilities give you a book of rules, room charges and other constrictions...see Tony for a quick and easy booking process. We're in the business of hospitality and can plan an event quickly.
- Cross Street: Old Georgetown Road
- Public Transit: Easy Three block walk from Bethesda Metro station. At the top of the escalator turn left slightly and proceed to third traffic light on Old Georgetown Road. Turn right on St Elmo, we are on right hand side at 4926. Multiple public bus stops also within walking distance.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Ample parking across the street in public garage offering pay by phone (setup ahead) http://www.goparknow.com (quarters accepted and happily provided at our bar) as well as street parking available on St. Elmo. Easy front door drop off directly at our curb for guests needing special access. Wheelchair accessible from curb.
A word from Chef Tony's - Bethesda
Daily changing Market Driven menu incorporates Fresh Seafood & Locally Farmed Foods when possible into a creative blend of Mediterranean specialties. Enjoy full size Entrees, Tapas plates & creative Vegetarian/Gluten Free offerings. In house desserts daily round out your experience. In the pursuit of culinary excellence, expect the Chefs to play with flavors, textures & seasonal offerings to challenge your expectations while keeping value in mind. Five, Ten and Twenty Course Tasting Menus can be arranged as well as Special Event Services and Banquets. A full bar complements the meal and plan your weekend to include the Bottomless Mimosa Brunch every Sunday featuring Farm Stand Egg Dishes Chef Tony’s also hosts many specialty events in Bethesda including Business Mixers, Social Media Events, Rehearsal Dinners & themed dinner parties. After 24 years of procuring top quality products, Chef Tony’s is a unassuming restaurant that continues to impress local diners and travContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chef Tony's - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (90)fit for foodies (79)special occasion (56)romantic (52)good for groups (25)great for lunch (24)notable wine list (17)great for brunch (15)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Great service and delicious foodcherbearVIPDined on 5/18/2014Went for my roommate's birthday. Service was excellent - always refilling our drinks and clearing plates. Food was delicious and portions were perfect or a little on the large side. We were too full for dessert but the restaurant provided a free chocolate cake for the occasion which we of course loved!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We had a groupon for Chef Tony's. The seafood choices were excellent and the value of the groupon was great. I had the parmesan encrusted sole and my husband had the trout. Very good and large portions. The sin cake was out of this world. Would recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood, fast servicebajaDined on 5/16/2014We enjoyed the soft shell crabs and crab cakes, and gaspachio soup (nicely spiced). Service was quick and waiter helpful and attentive. Yes will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than everMickeyDined on 5/11/2014The food at Chef Tony's is always good but they outdid themselves this time. And the staff was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceBDubDined on 5/11/2014Very responsive waiting staff. Food is served hot, fresh and full of flavor. Menu changes everyday and has a great selection of seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Happynothappy2014Dined on 5/11/2014Overall, the food was just ok, my crab cakes were not lump, I ordered filet mignon and it was tough. the service was slow and it wasn't crowded on Mother's Day, the crab soup wasn't good, no crab meat any it. I would not recommend to any of my friends.Special Features:
- Pleasant dinning for Mother's DayCookies2goDined on 5/11/2014The staff was friendly and attentive. The menu was varied enough to appeal to a variety of different appetites. I can't wait to go back to try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers DayKMensahDined on 5/11/2014My wife is a seafood lover, so I took her and children here for lunch on Mothers Day. I was very impressed with how accommodating they were to our young children and the service was outstanding. The food was very well prepared and the drink menu was good as well. We will definitely be making a return visit.Special Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchouttakitchenDined on 5/11/2014All our egg dishes were outstanding and different - all fresh and sauces had a light touch. Services was attentive and helpful. Portions were plentiful- no room for dessert.Special Features:
- Terrible service!!yummyDined on 5/10/2014We had reservations at Chef Tony's but they made us wait a full hour before seating us. We actually began eating at the bar after 45 minutes, and when our table was ready, no one offered to help move our food and drinks. Then, we apparently had no waiter, so we continuously had to flag down staff to take orders, clear dishes, etc. When the bill came, they didn't even comp my husband's one drink. The appetizer (calamari) and dessert (creme bruleee) were delicious; the entrees were so-so. My penne with shrimp had some shrimp that were not completely de-shelled, so I had to pick bits of shell out of of my mouth. My husband's swordfish was overcooked. But it was the exceptionally and consistently poor service that put the nail in the coffin!
- Neighborhood GemfoodieDined on 5/9/2014We love Chef Tony's. Parking's a problem so arrive early and be patient. They often have Groupons - an extra bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Chef Tony's!DeniseDined on 5/9/2014We went to Chef Tony's for the first time on a Friday evening and came away in agreement that we would definitely return to try other items that had tempted us. For appetizers we enjoyed the Brussels sprouts and the scallops - both were excellent and we loved the bread and olive oil with them. My entree was the out-of-this-world swordfish and my husband raved about the cod. Don't miss the Chocolate Sin Cake! The service was perfect: knowledgable, friendly, and attentive but not hovering. Our server also gave a spot-on wine recommendation. We liked the atmosphere: people having conversations in a lovely setting. All in all, I would highly recommend Chef Tony's for it's food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:
- service and staff were over the topTheRussianDined on 5/8/2014Everyone was attentive and knowledgeable. The food was outstanding. Chef Tony stopped by to say hello, great personality. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightclubBBBBDined on 5/3/2014A quiet table. A knowlegable and very helpful wait staff made for a pleasant date,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food, period.Marguerite1950Dined on 4/30/2014The delicious, fresh taste of even delicate ingredients shines through. Oysters are sweet and not briny. Salads are terrific. Crabcakes are the simplest expression of lump crab--divine. Seafood pastas are very good: Italian paella has a slight kick of spice; crab-stuffed shrimp rest on garlicky angel hair. The sate skewers of tenderloin are so tasty. The scallops are gently cooked--perfect. Desserts made by Tony's wife are wonderful, but not cloying; try the sweet potato gratin with butter pecan ice cream. Food prices are very reasonable, but wines seem a bit costly. Portions are ample. Ambiance is modest. Staff is attentive, friendly. Chef Tony came to our table; he is an engaging man, but his food is the star here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRABBDined on 4/29/2014Great quiet place with warm, quiet ambiance. Very good menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable dinnerMeggieDined on 4/27/2014Good food. Service was spotty (short-staffed) but server was pleasant and helpful. Calamari and mussels were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but...murphyx6Dined on 4/25/2014We've eaten here several times before; each trip the food has been good. This time the service was a bit lacking. I ordered a drink that came pretty quickly but my husband just wanted water that took way too long to be delivered and then not refilled regularly. We used a groupon this time which I guess meant no bread with the meal nor were we offered any. Courses arrived in a timely fashion but the bill took a considerable amount of time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, cozy restaurantTanzaniteDined on 4/25/2014This is a nice neighborhood restaurant. The food was not spectacular, but for the price it was worth it. Great service and nice ambience.Special Features:
- Worth findingenjoyitDined on 4/23/2014We love Chef Tony's because it's small, but accessible, with great food at very reasonable prices. We particularly like the calamari appetizer and seafood entrees. You have to know where to find the restaurant, as it looks pretty non-descript from the street. Definitely worth finding, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disspointed.SusanVIPDined on 4/19/2014this is at least the 4th time I have been to the restaurant. Our table was over 1/2 hour late. The server was late, the food was really ,mediocre. Maybe the restaurant can not handle being crowded. Quality was much than before.Special Features:
- greateats24Dined on 4/19/2014Food and service were excellent. Chef Tony's visit to our table to make certain that all was to our liking made our dining very pleasurable. I highly recommend this restaurant to those that really enjoy good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in BethesdaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2014Found this on Trip Advisor. Modest from outside but cozy white table lots inside. Food was delicious, had salmon rare which was actually rare. Had some problems with getting water to the table, and a fork for dessert but overall would return again for a nice group dinner.
- Fantastic SeafoodBrazilDined on 4/16/2014Chef Tony's features a variety of fresh seafood prepared to order. The mussels as an appetizer were delicious. Great place to go with friends. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good affordable place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2014Good food, nice environment and not expensive. Food delicious and well cooked. Service a little slow at the beginning but improved, relax atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurant!BethesdaGalVIPDined on 4/12/2014We have eaten at Chef Tony's about a half dozen times and have never been disappointed. Chef Tony himself checks in with the guests and the servers are very accommodating. The portion sizes are generous, and I usually find myself taking home leftovers. Great food, good variety of choices, nice atmosphere especially in the rear area of the restaurant. This will be one of our regular choices for Bethesda restaurants. Thanks, Tony!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish/seafood at its bestYodaDined on 4/11/2014We have dined at Chef Tony’s quite a number of times. What we like most about the restaurant is the quality of the food. Fish has always been fresh and includes what is freshly available at the time. Preparation and presentation have been superb. The wine list and list of stronger spirits are short, but we have always found choices from each group that suits our taste – I even found a new single malt whisky on the list that I had not seen before. The atmosphere can be intimate and it is quite enough to have good conversation with your guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some good food, some not so goodKathyVIPDined on 4/6/2014We had brunch at Chef Tony's last Sunday. Omelets were good, if a bit big; baguette french toast was OK; salads were the best; crab soup was the worst (too salty to eat!) and scallops were marginal.
- I felt the food was excellentDcmedrepDined on 4/5/2014I felt the food was excellent and it was nice to see the Chef Tony stopped by our table. We were able to discuss a few of our choices with him as there were so many to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little outdated looking, servicemerskampVIPDined on 4/5/2014Little outdated looking, service felt rushed, food wasnt brilliant. Had a nice time but was a little underwhelmed.
- Personal service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2014Our boys LOVE their meal (steak skewers) and the personal service from Chef Tony. He delivered the food and even autographed the boys cups. They had a blast and it's now their favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!!2couplesnbaby2goDined on 3/29/2014Loved the food and service!! The crustini bread and appetizers (we order the fried calamari and mussels) were top quality and quantity- the four of us were nearly full after that- in a good way- the entree quantity was perfect for a second meal from leftovers- which is always handy on weekends. Servers were patient, knowledgeable, and as suave as could be hoped for in casual-fine Italian dining. Dessert choices were delectable- we had the creme brulee- a little softer than I'm used to but still great tasting, impressively refreshing- naturally flavored raspberry sorbet, and tiara misu. The hostess honored our request for the best table to celebrate a new baby- perfect ambiance and noise level in the back dining area but not cornered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Diamond Among GlitzMandMDined on 3/28/2014We made reservations for 6 adults, 1 child, and a baby. Unfortunately, baby and her mother couldn't be there....but the restaurant staff was wonderfully adaptable and provided a perfect table for the 5 adults and 1 child. The service was attentive and responsive, and the server had excellent knowledge of the menu. The food was impeccably prepared, including some meals that you really don't find elsewhere. One of our party is a vegan, and that was "no problem." In short, a great evening in a small neighborhood gem, much more enjoyable than some of the "bigger name" Bethesda restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly & comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014Four if us had Sunday brunch. Excellent service; we stayed as long as we wanted. Cost embience with reasonable pricing. Food was good and portions generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite in DC-areaRobynGDined on 3/21/2014We have come to love Chef Tony's. Great people, relaxed environment, good prices, and incredible food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyPhoebeDined on 3/21/2014This was my third visit and each time the food was excellent. The seafood dishes were fresh and special requests were met without a fuss. We split a dessert, the sinful Chocolate, which was not overly sweet but satisfied that chocolate craving. The service was friendly and efficient. The atmosphere was relaxed and you were not made to feel as if you had to hurry up and leave. I will definitely be returning and telling friends about this.Special Features:
- Very good entree but a bitReturnCustomerDined on 3/15/2014Very good entree but a bit pricey. Our appetizers were straight out of the 80s appetizer playbook and were small.
- Interesting placePastorArtDined on 3/15/2014What with an open mind, upon walking up on this place appeared to look like a nice gem in Bethesda, MD. Once inside the greeter was great and we were seated quickly. The ambiance was perfect as we were celebrating our anniversary, menu was very simple and direct. Limited choices of meals and the way the food was served, kinda like a higher classed fast food restaurant. There were no varied offerings on the side items and meals according to the waiter. The wait service was just fair emptied glasses of tea and water way too often (glasses were small). Ordered MD crab soup and fried oysters just average the soup was jelled and not very hot, did have crab meat in it though. Will not return!
- Another great night at Chef Tony's!DinnerOutDined on 3/14/2014Great dinner at Chef Tony's, as usual! New menu items make it even tougher to choose! Everything was great, as always! No one does seafood like Tony!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly local seafood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/14/2014Chef Tony is a big friendly fellow, present in the restaurant, and the staff seem like a team with good spirit. The menu presents a big range of seafood dishes and other types of food. The wine list is a good selection; we particularly enjoyed glasses of two different whites that were served in nice stemware at the right temperature. There is a vibrant bar, a good choice of cocktails, and an kind efficient and approachable bartender. We had several nicely cooked seafood dishes, as well as fresh oysters, properly presented. The restaurant decor has a comfortable neighborhood feel, rather than downtown design, but the neat white tablecloths keep the place looking crisp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.