505 North Lake Shore Drive (Navy Pier)
Lake Point Towers
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.citechicago.com/
- Phone: 3126444050x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Oscar Ornelas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Cite offers a unique venue for all types of private events. Wedding Events, Social Celebrations, Corporate Events.
Weekly fireworks on Wednesday and Saturday nights at Navy Pier
A word from Cite
For over 38 years, Cite has stood 70 stories high as a Chicago institution. The ultimate dining experience features savory menu selections, impeccable service, the romantic SkyLounge, private banquet room and breathtaking views of Chicago's skyline and lakefront.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Cite reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (117)romantic (95)special occasion (88)notable wine list (43)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (14)late-night find (12)hot spot (12)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Terrible ExperianceserviceisterriblehereDined on 8/22/2014Ok OpenTable review length is terrible to give the full experience as to how bad this visit was. In short arrived early, seated by the wall, asked to move to the window, long wait, only asked about wine to drink, asked about where he wrote down what we said and didn't ask about appetizers or sides with the meal and was prompt to leave the table. It was very very loud in there where I couldn't even hear across the 2 person table let alone get the attention of the waiter as he walked away. Quality of my steak was terrible. Cooked medium, dry like overly well done, ordered as medium-well...no flavor and gristle throughout making it inedible. If you go here simple go to have a drink at the bar and see the view and then proceed elsewhere.Special Features:
- High expectations, poor experienceChitowntouristDined on 8/22/2014We booked this based on a website that recommended restaurants with a view. We arrived 10 min prior to reservation and were seated right away. The view was pretty but that's where the positives stopped. It took a long time to get water or even place our order. One of the cocktails ordered was so sour it was undrinkable. When we asked the waiter about it he just took it away and didn't ask/offer to replace it. Come to find out he took it before the bartender could finish it. Our food took 1 1/2 hour to be servered and during the wait they brought bread and when we asked for butter they said they were out! The food was lack luster and not worth the price. These combined experiences made the dinner very disappointing. Do not waste your money!Special Features:
- Total flopfoodieonarampageDined on 8/22/2014Sure the view is good, but the food just is usually the worst you'll ever have. The petite steak Diane and my boyfriend's duck was good, but it stops there. There pomme gratin was absolutely disgusting and tasted like eating a Clove of garlic. It was objectively not good, and just incredibly too strong. I had the Amish chicken and it was literally the most disgusting thing I've had in my life. I don't know what they did to my piece of chicken but after the first bite, the rest of it tasted horrendous like permanent markers. I just spit it out and it was so bad it brought me to tears. The service was sub par, and our waiter didn't come to check in after we started the meal so I couldn't complain earlier. Overall $125 wasted.Special Features:
- Special Occasion ExperienceTonkDined on 8/19/2014We celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary at a table by the window with a spectacular view of the city and lakeshore. The service was attentive and included some little specials like a cucumber and shrimp taste complements of the chef. The salads were fresh and unique. My wife had the scallops and corn relish which was very good and I had a large portion of duck breast and leg in a delightful sauce. Although we didn't have room for dessert, we did get a complementary small glass of dessert wine for our anniversary celebration. Great place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a Dinner DateCKL1Dined on 8/19/2014My wife & I celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary on 8/19/14 at Cite. The service was very attentive and the food was awesome. The price was what I expected for a high end restaurant. Thank you Cite for the "Happy 19th Anniversary" menu, my wife is going to frame it. We look forward to returning in the near future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceKatMonDined on 8/17/2014This was our second time doing a buffet meal at Cite. The first was last year's Thanksgiving buffet which was quite good. That was why we decided to do the buffet again this past Sunday. The food was mediocre at best. Certainly not worth the $68/per person. We left feeling very disappointed.
- SpecialGeeliciousDined on 8/17/2014Cite's is one of those places that when you think of fine dining and special occasions, it's the first place that comes to mind. Service is excellent, food is superior, and the scenic view is breathtaking. This was my third time there and I can't wait to go back. I enjoy the intimate dinners, however, the fabulous Sunday brunches are worth getting up in the morning for. The service is always prompt and very attentive from the moment you get off the elevator to enter the restaurant until you get on the elevator to leave the restaurant...always! Keep up the superior work Cite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shortyDined on 8/17/2014Food and service was wonderful. Don't know about the view as it was cloudy and you couldn't see anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightLakeviewDined on 8/16/2014My only critique is that the parking valet service is rude and Citi should do a better job of directions on how to validate the parking ticket.Special Features:
- Good view and food. Bad serviceAnonymousDined on 8/15/2014My girlfriend and I went to Cite for a romantic dinner while visiting Chicago. The food was great and views spectacular, it was very romantic and a great view of the lake & city. However, our waiter was subpar. He was disengaged, couldn't remember our order, he had to come back to the table and ask again what we ordered while looking away the whole time. It took about 20-25 mins from when we sat down before we received our drink, and he never acknowledged my girlfriends presence, never spoke to her or asked if she enjoyed her meal. I enjoyed the restaurant and meal but hopefully the wait staff improves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceJalexaDined on 8/9/2014Parking is difficult on a weekend summer night with it being so close to Navy Pier. Food is tasty and drinks are well done. Very pricey but would definitely recommend over the Signature Room because it is off the beaten path. One note though, if you plan to have a romantic evening with the fireworks option (view), don't bother. People swarm that side of the restaurant when the show starts, so you won't be able to see and enjoy peacefully from your table. A poor elderly woman, with a cane no less, and her party were visibly uncomfortable with all the onlookers surrounding their table. However, despite this, I must state that the restaurant did honor my reservation request of the firework view. Overall a good late night experience though...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful dining experience.FoodReviewDined on 8/9/2014This was the the fourth or fifth time I have been to the restaurant. The first time I was there the pompous hostess said audibly, "No, they don't get that table." I get it that it is a nice place and we were younger looking compared to the other people dining in, but they could be more professional. Oh, and the fact that they offer coupons on Groupon constantly should probably take them down a few levels. Anyways, this particular night on a crowded Saturday had kids running and screaming throughout the restaurant. A group of old people had a dog in a bag and the dog was parking throughout dinner. Once again, not a seeing eye dog, some little thing in a bag that would not stop barking. Food was way below average and the waiter sucked.
- Nothing but a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014The view is very good. Otherwise the experience was not good. The could not cook the steaks correctly teice, although we just ate then the sevond time. Wevreturned the sides with the over cooked steaks thinking they would be hot (new). Instead they just set them on the side. To their credit, they did remove these items from the bill. Apparently a relative of the owner wsd dining therecat the same time. So we listened to their small dog bark for throughout dinner.
- Unremarkable!ChicagolandVIPDined on 8/8/2014When we arrived for our dinner they attempted to sit us at two bad tables even though the place was 3/4 empty on a Friday evening. Even though we were well dressed they wanted us to sit next to the waiter station. The service was a little slow but adequate and the views were very nice. After spending almost $200 on dinner for two, I attempted to order bananas foster for one. I was shocked to be told that they only do it for two due to ingredients. We have been to numerous 5 star restaurants with the similar stipulations on the menu but this is the first time we have been refused the desert. Bad form on the part of this restaurant. This place is now off our list of restaurants in Chicago!Special Features:
- Too cold!ChicagophilDined on 8/8/2014We were a party of 6 all dressed up nicely, girls in very light cocktail dresses. The AC was set so cold that all of the girls were freezing cold and really did not enjoy the evening - which was too bad. After asking more than once to take the AC down a little bit or to at least bring some additional blankets one of the waiters (not the one who was our official waiter) brought us a table cloth for the legs. Our neighbor table was also freezing. Especially if you look at the price range you'd expect everyone to be supersatisfied. This, unfortunately was not the case. I had hoped to make this night an unforgettable one - didn't happen. Or at least not the way I had planned it.Special Features:
- Don't waste your money or timemrs3mDined on 8/6/2014We went on fireworks night off the navy pier at 9:30.We made reservations for 8:30.They sat us next to the kitchen door where we had a great view of the city, but none of the lake/fireworks.It is the worst in the restaurant and shouldn't be offered at all.Not to mention we had no view of the fireworks.There were plenty of open tables on the pier side. Someone was upset in the kitchen and lots of dishes were breaking and pots being thrown, etc.There was a old drunken man who was sitting at the table behind us.He bothered EVERYONE who walked by-especially the staff--he should have been escorted out.I believe the restaurant is greatly understaffed.Regardless, the food was great--chef really knows his business.Oh, and it was freezing cold.
- All it has to offer is the viewBinkDined on 8/6/2014Went here for my birthday dinner because I saw a groupon. Food was fine, perhaps a little cold. Tiny portions for ridiculously high prices. And the device was mediocre- they were was understaffed. The view is beautiful though! I would saw come for a drink and dessert to enjoy te view, but have dinner elsewhere.Special Features:
- DinerDinerDined on 8/5/2014Food and view were excellent, the service was spotty. Nearly every glass of wine poured, some of the wine ended up on the table. Server didn't frequent the table very often. End was very abrupt, no asking if there was anything else he could get it us, just very choppy service.Special Features:
- just okOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014I had a reservation and We were seated immediately. We sat for 10-15 minutes without any menus, water, nor bread. When our server finally acknowledged us, he broight out menus. We did ask to move to a window seat, and they accommodated us. After placing our order, our server finally gave us water, and someone came with the bread tray. This was about 30 minutes after sitting. Our food arrived in a timely fashion. It was plated nicely and the portions were a good size. But neither of our meals were hot, just luke warm and somewhat bland. For the price, I want to be wowed and I was not impressed at all.Special Features:
- Second visitEMIRDined on 8/1/2014This is the second time we have dined here and it was just as great as the first time. Amir was very welcoming and remembered us. The service and food was top level and you cannot beat the view. We also had a party here a couple of years ago with about 50 friends. Everyone enjoyed the food and view. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing viewJJNicDined on 8/1/2014We only heard about this restaurant on an river architecture tour and we really loved it. The view was out of this world and the food was outstanding. Thank you!Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner date ruinedTimHDined on 7/30/2014I booked a table at Cite' resturant a week in advance for fire work night i told them that i would like a table facing the fireworks for a birthday celebration. i was told if a table was available with that veiw that we would be able to get it, they do not reserve special seating. then what's the use of making a reservation? anyway we get there and of course we are on the opposite side of the fireworks and there are plenty of empty tables facing the fireworks remember we don't resserve special seating. those tables facing the fireworks stayed empty and no one offered us a chance to be reseated. based on the fact that i called this place numerous times setting up the reservations and asking questions. The food was terrible and small portionsSpecial Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014I went to Cite with 2 friends for my 19th birthday. We are all college students with hardly any money so we only ordered dessert (which was fabulous). The staff was extremely kind and welcoming (even though I'm sure they could tell we couldn't afford anything on the dinner menu). The music and lighting was nice and the view of the city and lake was stunning. We had a table by the window and watched as the sun set and the city lights came on. Thanks to this restaurant, my birthday was an amazing and great day. I highly recommend Cite.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerGlennericDined on 7/28/2014My beautiful wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary dinner at Cite. I arranged to have roses sent to the restaurant prior to our arrival. Traci and her staff not only made sure the roses were handled with care but she made sure to sit them at a table for two with one of the best views in the whole restaurant. Chicago is breathtaking from the 70th floor. My wife was very impressed with what I'd done. The food was to die for. The service was second to none. They will even validate your parking for you. Overall, I would recommend Cite to anyone especially to all of the great husbands out there. You're wife will be very happy with you........trust me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the fireworksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2014I am from Canada, I was meeting colleagues from Columbia in Chicago. We had never been to Cite. I requested a table with a view, so we could take in the fireworks, when I booked. When I arrived they said no. We had a nice view if the Chicago skyline, but we requested a view of the lake to take in the fireworks.Special Features:
- To die forMightymanDined on 7/22/2014The food was really good with a great scenery and very romanticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forget this place!LikegoodfoodDined on 7/20/2014We were in town for the Rock and Roll Marathon and ran the morning of our visit. Of course, we had to walk some to get to the restaurant. I wore heels (even though they were hurting) and my fiancé wore nice walking shoes with our dress clothes. We rode the elevator with 3 ladies wearing flip flops and shorts. When we reached the restaurant, the hostess told the ladies that they could go on in and look around the restaurant (they did not have reservations). However, we were turned away because of his shoes. She refused our explanation. We went to III Forks and had a WONDERFUL meal. We have traveled the continent experiencing fine dining and paying for good food. This restaurant doesn't deserve to be patronized. Go to III Forks!Special Features:
- Could be a great placeMullermanDined on 7/19/2014The view was fantastic. The rest was simply not good enough. It was so cold up there and when mentioned the waiter said we could walk around to get warm. The wine was warm and the steaks ware not as ordered. Only go there for the view. I hope someone would by the place and make it fantastic.. It have all the possibilitiesSpecial Features:
- Great Place to Eat and See the CityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food and service was outstanding. We were seated immediately, and we were well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice view and atmosphere but....WalterVIPDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant got a very nice and unique location and view. The atmosphere is very good also. Quiet and almost each seat got a good view. However, the food and service are not as good as expected by the price they charge. I can get a much better steak in Ruth's Chris with same price and way better service.Special Features:
- Great view good serviceAmbienceDined on 7/18/2014Expensive meal. Pairing of sauces with the food was not always optimal or even extraordinary. Food was often over salted. The view, kindness of waitstaff, and gentile treatment from chefs madeup for several mistakes. We had a great time and the food was ultimately delicious. But with the given price it's definitely the location and kind service that you're paying for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACEOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014Gorgeous view of the city. Great food. Very friendly and kind service there. Great for very special occasions or to get a watch the Navy Pier fireworks at night. Loved it.Special Features:
- Cite is all viewJacksDined on 7/15/2014Went here for our anniversary on a weeknight at 7:30PM. The view is amazing, so be sure to request a table by the window with a view of both the city and lake. Service was great and everything was prompt. I ordered the Salmon and my husband ordered the Wagyu Strip. The salmon was served with sautéed spinach and a potato mash, both good, should be served with more potato. My husband ordered the asparagus to accompany the steak, which was fantastic. The salmon was delicious, but the steak was very poor quality (I doubt it was Wagyu at all) and very undercooked for medium rare (it was purple). I would recommend Cite for the breathtaking views, just not for a decent steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Celebration at CitePerfectionDined on 7/12/2014We celebrated both a Birthday and Anniversary. It was perfect--the view was breathtaking, the service was excellent, the food was yummy.Special Features:
- Spectacular viewHeidiElDined on 7/11/2014Enjoyed dinner at sunset with family and teens. Spectacular views of the city while enjoying variety of apps, dinner and desserts. Strong cocktails a plus. We had a variety of foods and all were enjoyed (steaks, seafood, soups, and desserts). Highly recommend for views, food, service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Went with a friend for the fireworks - this place has the greatest view of Lake Michigan. Definitely a romantic spot for couples! Ask for a seat by the windows!Special Features:
- Cite First TimeCiteDined on 7/5/2014My wife and I ate dinner at Cite a few weeks back. The service was excellent and the food was also very good. They do a great job organizing the entire meal. We had a very good view but not a window, a bit disappointing. Overall we thought the meal as good as we've had in Chicago. The cost is also as high as you might get in Chicago. Overall I would recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cite reviewLiastephDined on 7/5/2014The location was great and had a beautiful scene, staff was friendly and the food was great. I would recommend this place to friends and families and will definitely be back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Wait Staff Lack Luster MealFoodBandit65Dined on 7/5/2014Really not much to say except the wait staff was friendly and attentive. The view was beautiful, but the food was bland and too expensive for the poor quality. Dinner was disappointing.Special Features:
- great place to dinejohnDined on 7/4/2014My girlfriend and I have now been to cite twice and have loved the experience both times! It is definitely your top tier restaurant, with amazing food and one of the best views in the city, the wait staff and other patrons really make you feel at home, never a snobby or richy rich person in the bunch. Most portion sizes are also substantial compared to what is expected from this type of dining experience, we have left stuffed both times as we just couldn't let any of the delicious food go to waste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.