723 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2154139070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
A word from Morimoto
Morimoto is a cutting-edge restaurant serving contemporary Japanese cuisine. Chef Masaharu Morimoto of Iron Chef fame prepares traditional dishes with a modern flair. Reservations will be accommodated at the sushi bar or a table; both options are fabulous! Special requests are encouraged but not guaranteed; please call the restaurant to discuss your special requests well before your reservation date.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Morimoto - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Morimoto reviews from OpenTable diners
272 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (209)special occasion (205)romantic (105)hot spot (103)good for groups (56)neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (29)notable wine list (24)late-night find (19)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Mori-wonderfulKennyVIPDined on 9/16/2014I have been to Morimoto's several times and it never disappoints. I brought a Swiss colleague there this week and he loved it. I had the ramen soup (simply awesome) and the duck,duck duck dish - delicious. He had the sushi and raved about the fact that it was the best sushi he has had outside of Japan. Morrimoto's selection of saki's are worth trying - priced nicely and very good. Our server could not have been nice and was just the right amount of attentive but not intrusive. Great place for business or pleasure!Special Features:
- Birthday BonusMo64Dined on 9/16/2014I had an extraordinary meal and table side service experience at Morimoto by choosing the luncheon stone bowl yellowtail offering. The waitstaff and their table side cooking added so much to my birthday celebration, and my guest and I appreciated the high level of ingredients and presentation that is Morimoto - Thank you!Special Features:
- awesometickDined on 9/13/2014Best spicey tuna roll i have ever had. I would recommend and go back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightkmacDined on 9/12/2014Made a reservation for our monthly date night. We arrived early and was still seated right away. We opted to pick several dishes and spilt it. The spicy king crab, wasabi fried rice and Chilean Sea Bass were our favorites. We will be back to try the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkable night out with my fianceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014This was our second time back and it was a evening together enjoying one of our very favorite dinners together. What a special night and incredible food, a night we'll always remember! Great food & we would highly recommendSpecial Features:
- XxEdinPhilaDined on 9/11/2014XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic but very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2014The food and service were terrific but not until later in the evening were we able to carry on a conversation because of the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Iron Chef strikes againjrghistoryVIPDined on 9/10/2014Let's get it out of the way: Morimoto's not cheap. It's simply excellent. I won't pretend to be a maven of sushi and sashimi, but I've eaten it on both coasts, and I've never had better. The fish was fresh and startlingly tender. If I have a complaint, it's that the menu is so broad and attractive that I wanted to try everything. Next time, perhaps. In the meantime, I'll keep my memories of the velvety tuna to hold me till then.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceFoodisluvDined on 9/8/2014A gem of the Philly food scene. Amazing food, romantic atmosphere but NOT a place for kids. A very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delicious!LmarzDined on 9/7/2014We ordered an assortment of appetizers, sushi and two entrees and it was half the price of the omakase. For somewhat picky eaters like us, it was the way to go! Everything was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkJFidDined on 9/7/2014We read the reviews but must disagree. The sushi was tough (worst scallops I've ever had) and the wagyu beef was not worth it at all! Now, we are from the west coast and eat sushi about twice a week. So, that may be why we weren't happy about the food. But I don't think so. Now, we did not eat the mains, only sushi so it is possible that the mains are better. We would not go back.
- Exceeded our expectationsmerecainDined on 9/6/2014My boyfriend and I took an overnight trip to Philly for an exhibition at the Barnes, and chose Morimoto for our one dinner there. We had gotten a pretty good deal on our hotel and had an OpenTable $50 dining cheque to use, so we decided to splurge on the somewhat pricey Omakase menu. SUCH a good idea! It was fantastic, with lots of things we would not have chosen for ourselves and several that were not on the menu. Service was fantastic, and they didn't bat an eye when we said we had a dining cheque that we would like to use. In fact, they ended up comping a round of drinks in addition to that. We definitely would return--it was an excellent meal with superb service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great service and delicious foodFoodietravelerDined on 9/6/2014Morimoto was wonderful. It was my first time here and I want to go back so I can try more menu items. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu, steered us well in terms of amount to order and helped us navigate some food allergies. I will definitely come back next time I'm in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best meal of 2014 so farWMColmes14VIPDined on 9/6/2014Server (Andrew) was nice, attentive and knowledgeable. I like when a server is honest with his opinion. Everything we had was amazing, and some things were just dynamite. Had wagyu carpaccio (waguy beef thinly sliced with yuzu, hot oil and mitsuba leaf) - beef was like butter; spicy king crab in the half shell - best version I've had, such flavorful crab; Cha soba as an ending item was a great clean finish (chilled green tea noodles with chopped scallion, fresh wasabim, sesame seeds, and dashi-shoyu); scallop ceviche was so tender and clean; seasonal Japanese scallops and eel were the best samples of the meat we'd ever had. Amazing ambiance, very cool décor, as it appears you are eating underneath an ocean wave. Just amazing.Special Features:
- Best Sushi EVER!!!!!!!TLOMDined on 9/6/2014This is the real deal! The fish is flown in from Japan and prepared Exquisitely. The service is great and the Drinks, WOW!!!! You have never experience authentic Japanese cuisine until you have spent a night here!Special Features:
- Oishi!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014One of my favorite places, ever!! Everything from the smooth and soft Maguro Sashimi to the large 12-14oz Dashi glazed Strip Steak!! The piece de resistance... The Rock Shrimp Tempura!! After a healthy dose of fresh sushi rolls, I ordered the Shrimp as my entree with the Wasabi Rice and the Sautéed Japanese Mushrooms as my sides and it was fantastic!! I truly can't wait to go back! I won't mess around... It'll be all about that Rock Shrimp Tempura!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobertDined on 9/6/2014Unique and interesting menu. Great service and a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SAM675Dined on 9/6/2014This has been on my bucket list for a while now and I finally had a chance to go this past Saturday. Only complaint was that I walked right past it, as it is not well identified from the street. Food was amazing, overall experience was great. 8 top table next to us was celebrating something and one lady was SUPER loud, but that didn't detract from an overall fantastic experience.Special Features:
- Nice quiet diningNikkiDined on 9/3/2014very nice and quiet ambience making it good place for fine dining and special occasions. Entrance could use better signs as people non familiar with center city could walk past it without noticing the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice - a little priceyDeniseVIPDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I enjoyed the meal - excellent food. Service was good, a little slow for a late Sunday night. We go out often and have no problem spending big money on food, but this night seemed very pricey... over $200 with tip for not much food. My husband's main course (Duck) was a ridiculously small portion for $33. Tuna roll tasted premade rather than fresh hand rolled. We ended on 2 fabulous desserts... but probably would not go back. We love Buddakan and would pick that over Morimoto.Special Features:
- Iron Chef Morimoto Rocks!BighouseDined on 8/30/2014This was our first time dining here and we were excited about getting to eat in an Iron Chef's restaurant. We were not disappointed as we walked in the front door and realized how awesome the restaurant's decor was. The lights changed, the tables were intimate, and the staff was impeccable. The top thing was without a doubt the food! I got Morimoto's 8 course tasting event and I was blown away by all of the amazing dishes. My family thoroughly enjoyed all of their dishes too. GO HERE for a great atmosphere, romantic seating, and the authentic Japanese cuisine with the Iron Chef's twist.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014The Regular menu here is amazing; however, I would not recommend getting sushi rolls here. There is nothing really special about these but the price (on the high end). Everything else was amazing. I cannot complain about the food quality of the regular menu. I only wish we had left room for dessert. It sounded so good.Special Features:
- LOVE MORIMOTOS!BeegeVIPDined on 8/30/2014I ask my husband to bring me here for every birthday and as often as we can get there in between! Yummy, healthy, friendly - just great!Special Features:
- Incredible foodJDinOCVIPDined on 8/29/2014Living on the West Coast, I always look forward to coming back to Philly and dining at Morimoto. I often wonder if I'll be disappointed because my expectations (and past experiences) have been so high. Thankfully, this experience was, again, incredible. I ordered the omakase (though pricey, gives a broad selection of Morimoto's skills) which had nine courses - all artfully presented and exceptionally prepared. If you're too overwhelmed and don't know what to order, this is a good way of getting a wonderful dining experience. The choreography of the service matched ambiance and culinary expertise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenominal dining experience!Diningtreats56Dined on 8/29/2014My husband and I had a wonderful experience at Morimoto's! Our dinner was worth the trip. Unfortunately far enough away that it's probably a once a year, special occasion thing for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We visited Philly and Morimoto's was 2 blocks away from Independence Hall. Beautifully designed space surpassed by beauty of each plate of food. Each plate of the 8 course Umikase was a work of art. Took the pressure off deciding what to order, since each course was a surprise. Delightful surprise since each course was amazing. 5th course was 1/2 grilled lobster, then 6th course was Kobe beef, and 7th was sushi. This was surf & turf off the charts. Definitely one of the top 5 dining experiences I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but didn't blow me awayZingerDined on 8/26/2014This was our first visit to to Morimoto. We had a nice time and good service. Overall, our experience was great but not exceptional. The wine and beer list is very good. My husband had the omakase menu and enjoyed it. I had the artic char -- while very good, did not blow me away. I would not order it again. The rock shrimp was probably the biggest disappointment (barely tasted any shrimp, almost all batter). The rock shrimp I've had at Nobu was far, far better. I'd heard it was also great at Moriomoto, which was why I ordered it. I've also had less than stellar outings at Nobu, so maybe it was a slightly off night at Moriomoto as well. Whatever the reason, the meal didn't quite meet my expectations. We'll come back in any case.Special Features:
- Amazing.LeverettVIPDined on 8/26/2014Did the chefs sushi tasting with a friend. Some fish - mainly the sashimi - I wouldn't order again, yet overall an amazing experience eating at my favorite Japanese old school Iron Chef. A real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, BUT...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/2014Morimoto has wide selection of fish that is not typically found in other sushi restaurants. Some are prepared in ways that I have not yet seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014We found the service arrogant and the table decorations offensive!Special Features:
- Really goodGennaroDined on 8/23/2014Good food, perfect Service, moderate price.........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but hands down worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Morimoto was an amazing experience from the servers, staff, food all the way to the atmosphere. An overall perfect night! We got the spicy king crab appetizer, scallops with marrow, ramen soup, duck duck duck, surf and turf and received a few birthday treats too all of which were delish and so flavorful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulLuckyLewDined on 8/23/2014We ate at Morimoto while visiting recently. The Omakaze was very good, with many items that we have not tasted before. The presentations were all delightful and the service impeccable. We will return the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Best bites I have had....pork belly divine as was the hot diver scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014Simply the best quality sushi prepared by the most talented chefs. Always satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was phenomenalVickimillerDined on 8/21/2014The best sushi and sashimi I have ever consumed in my entire life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingChrisBrunerVIPDined on 8/19/2014Best sushi ever!! A must try for all sushi lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectdaawesomedawsonDined on 8/19/2014We ordered the omakase (chef's tasting menu) it was 7 courses including dessert and every single dish was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experienceSnowellenVIPDined on 8/18/2014Before leaving Philadelphia, we had time for lunch and chose Morimoto. We were so pleased at how delicious the food and service were. I'm very familiar with Japanese food having lived in Japan, but experienced some new dishes at Morimoto's. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great experienceLaura76Dined on 8/17/2014Dinner at Morimoto's restaurant is most than a dinner, it is an experience, very difficult to explain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.