723 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2154139070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaharu Morimoto
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
A word from Morimoto
Morimoto is a cutting-edge restaurant serving contemporary Japanese cuisine. Chef Masaharu Morimoto of Iron Chef fame prepares traditional dishes with a modern flair. Reservations will be accommodated at the sushi bar or a table; both options are fabulous! Special requests are encouraged but not guaranteed; please call the restaurant to discuss your special requests well before your reservation date.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Morimoto - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Morimoto reviews from OpenTable diners
281 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (211)special occasion (211)romantic (114)hot spot (100)good for groups (61)neighborhood gem (45)great for lunch (32)notable wine list (25)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Amazing.LeverettVIPDined on 8/26/2014Did the chefs sushi tasting with a friend. Some fish - mainly the sashimi - I wouldn't order again, yet overall an amazing experience eating at my favorite Japanese old school Iron Chef. A real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, BUT...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/2014Morimoto has wide selection of fish that is not typically found in other sushi restaurants. Some are prepared in ways that I have not yet seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014We found the service arrogant and the table decorations offensive!Special Features:
- Really goodGennaroDined on 8/23/2014Good food, perfect Service, moderate price.........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but hands down worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Morimoto was an amazing experience from the servers, staff, food all the way to the atmosphere. An overall perfect night! We got the spicy king crab appetizer, scallops with marrow, ramen soup, duck duck duck, surf and turf and received a few birthday treats too all of which were delish and so flavorful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulLuckyLewDined on 8/23/2014We ate at Morimoto while visiting recently. The Omakaze was very good, with many items that we have not tasted before. The presentations were all delightful and the service impeccable. We will return the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Best bites I have had....pork belly divine as was the hot diver scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014Simply the best quality sushi prepared by the most talented chefs. Always satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was phenomenalVickimillerDined on 8/21/2014The best sushi and sashimi I have ever consumed in my entire life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingChrisBrunerVIPDined on 8/19/2014Best sushi ever!! A must try for all sushi lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectdaawesomedawsonDined on 8/19/2014We ordered the omakase (chef's tasting menu) it was 7 courses including dessert and every single dish was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experienceSnowellenVIPDined on 8/18/2014Before leaving Philadelphia, we had time for lunch and chose Morimoto. We were so pleased at how delicious the food and service were. I'm very familiar with Japanese food having lived in Japan, but experienced some new dishes at Morimoto's. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great experienceLaura76Dined on 8/17/2014Dinner at Morimoto's restaurant is most than a dinner, it is an experience, very difficult to explain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and serviceTravelingAngelDined on 8/15/2014This really is a gem of a spot in Philly for anyone seeking out great Japanese food. I went with our daughter who has lots of food allergies and the waitress was super friendly, helpful and supportive. Prices are reasonable for what you get. My ONLY complaint is that it's really loud, especially with the music turned up. Def recommend, although make sure no one's hard of hearing. ;)Special Features:
- FantasticSbrbnCoupleDined on 8/15/2014Had not been here in a few years... Took our daughter before she goes away for fall semester as a special dinner, and Morimoto did not disappoint. Carpaccio Morimoto was outstanding, as was the Ishi Yaki Bop (rice bowl). Nice to see Morimoto is still strong after all these years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good experience!Riva411Dined on 8/13/2014It was the first time for us in Morimoto. The restaurant is very nicely decorated, very modern. A bit dark. The waiter was very nice and very thoughtful. For my taste a bit too talkative. The dishware and silverware was in accordance to the decoration and level of the restaurant. Except for the chop sticks which is nice that they are wood and disposable but could find nicer ones and not get the cheapest set in the market. It would be nice that they had been covered with a paper envelop or similar. The dishes were very well presented and the waiter gave all the details about them when serving. The food was good and a very recomendable dish is the Ishi Yaki "Buri Bop". In short it's a good experience for a one time experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful presentation, unique foodluv2eatsushiDined on 8/12/2014The omikase was a treat. Each course was plated well. Most courses were quite good. The chef made sure not to duplicate anything I had had during my last visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENJOYed itMori2Dined on 8/11/2014I thought the ambience was better than the one in NYC. It was brighter ,and, more quiet. The food also seemed better. Some of the dishes in NYC were too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneySamFVIPDined on 8/9/2014I expected more. I was especially surprised when we received the nigiri plate with absolutely no "embellishment." Last time I tried a chef's special in a similar restaurant, the nigiri was served on a Himalayan salt block, with little pomegranate seeds sprinkled around it. (Just one example)...Special Features:
- Yummy Toban YakiBadiaDined on 8/9/2014Food was great loved the decor I'm definitely coming back ! Oh and how could I forget that service with a smile wonderful eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, expensivejomakaseDined on 8/9/2014We had an excellent meal for our 10th anniversary. Exciting and delicious food. Many items that we'd never had. Price-wise, comparable would be ~50% less on west coast, but for Philly was reasonable. Some production values seemed unnecessary. Bathrooms were funny, as the design was nice, but things were a bit broken and bedraggled, which didn't really fit with the rest of the fanciness. Quite funny when a Japanese couple came in without a reservation, and the hostess explained they could go to the lounge, where there was a full menu, but the chef's sampler menu would be unavailable. The ensuing confusion would've been really simplified if she just said "no omakase".Special Features:
- DisappointingAvalonDinerDined on 8/6/2014Been dining here for years -- has lost its luster and food went downhill. Time to get a new favorite.
- Great Anniversary DinnerHobbesDined on 8/5/2014Food and service were excellent. Definitely pricey but knew that going in. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tired, not wowedMGJ1Dined on 8/4/2014This was terrific when it opened. It's gotten to be a bit dull, and other Asian fusion places have emerged (granted, not as much in Philly). It was overpriced for what it served and the service was professional but cold. Needs some rethink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- won't be the last visit :)lex24Dined on 8/3/2014The food was delicious, the server was friendly, professional, and very knowledgeable in the entire menu. It was our first visit there and define won't be the last. Fantastic restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysAwesomeScottVIPDined on 8/2/2014I have to say just when I think I cant be more impressed with Morimoto they so me they really can step it up. I am just learning Sake as part of my enjoyment of food. Our server was so knowledgable and eager to assist he made our evening really special. He didnt just do the fall back of picking the highest price items which he could have but he showed us many items that we in approachable price points that were fantastic. Kudos to Morimoto yet again.Special Features:
- Trendy, high-quality sushi bardndiciccoVIPDined on 8/2/2014Best Japanese in the city. The night I went they had a 600-pound tuna, all of which (including meat scrapped from the spine, like a pulled pork) was used. The decor is very modern, and the service attentive if a little showy. Try to sit at the sushi bar if you want to learn about Japanese cuisine, although the table service is great and there are many options for groups as well as more romantic endeavors. Tons of vegetarian options too if you're so inclined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MorimotoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This is the best Japanese restaurant I've eaten at and definitely my favorite in Philadelphia. The sake was great also. Definitely get the foie gras.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the city!DaveDined on 8/2/2014Always a fantastic date destination. Needed to be in and out in 40 minutes before a concert, and the server didn't skip a beat. The wasabi fried rice keeps us coming back at least once a month.
- Overpriced, Small PortionsOgiwata73Dined on 8/1/2014Wayyyy too expensive for such small portions. Borderline pretentious. Good food of course but not outstanding which is what I'd expect for paying that much. I had sushi in California for more than half the price that was much better. Overall--I am disappointed.Special Features:
- OutstandingRobynPhdDined on 8/1/2014There aren't enough superlatives! Excellent food, impeccably prepared! It was expensive but worth it. I sat at the sushi bar and enjoyed watching the rhythm of the chefs as they prepared fish after dish. The morimoto sakes were amazing. I would absolutely return! Only complaint was the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iron Chef Delivers!Hello123Dined on 7/31/2014The food was superb. The fish was so fresh and flavored so perfectly. For the quality of the food (which you won't find anywhere else in Philadelphia), the price was VERY reasonable. It's perfect for groups as well as dates.Special Features:
- Loved itbkearnsDined on 7/28/2014The wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable, which was important as much of the menu was food and ingredients I had never had. The drinks were good and the food was even better. The diver scallops appetizer is well worth it and the surf and turf melts in your mouth. I will definitely be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Morimoto!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014I have been trying to get to Morimoto since I moved to PA .. and I'm proud to say it was worth the wait I loved everything from the ambiance service to the delectable food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014Our meal surpassed our expectations, and our server, Raymond was delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodkradDined on 7/26/2014When we made the reservation for 8 I had to give my credit card number because they would be charging me 25 $ per person if we missed our reservation after going I understood because they only have one table that is big enough for 8 the food was awesome we ordered the sushi and sashimi sampler and loved it they were no complaints about dinner either we did order the rock shrimp and the only complaint was to much breading not enough shrimp 4 different deserts were ordered and the only one that would not be ordered again is the Mary Jane brownie the service was very attentive and helpful all in all expensive but worth a visit :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceSB0608Dined on 7/26/2014We have been to two different Morimoto's (one in Hawaii and one in Philadelphia). They were both great! The food is always excellent and the service was superb. We did the chef's tasting and it was well worth the money. We weren't too thrilled with the coconut dessert (everyone was in the mood for chocolate) but other than that we had a great experience!Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicemkb3Dined on 7/25/2014My husband and I don't get out as much anymore and we really like to make the most of our infrequent nights out. We just had the most amazing experience at Morimoto! It was our first time dining there and not only was the food delicious but the service was the best we ever had. Our server Benjamin was knowledgeable and excited to share the menu with us. We ordered all his recommendations including sakes and wines and everything was delish! Overall our whole experience was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omakase was wonderfuljandj0505Dined on 7/25/2014Had our 10th anniversary dinner at Morimoto and had the omakase. Every course was wonderful and they easily worked around my wife's shellfish allergy. The service was the highest quality. We had an incredible meal and a fabulous time. Great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An annual treatjmichael79Dined on 7/25/2014My best friend and I have made it an annual tradition to celebrate her birthday with the top-tier tasting menu. The toro tartar is worth the price of admission alone! Service was top notch and the entire evening was perfectly paced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.