Unicorn Pan Asian Cuisine - San Francisco
191 Pine Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Unicorn Pan Asian Cuisine - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.unicorndining.com/
- Phone: 4159829828
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Happy Hours: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 7:00pm, Sunday: closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Vietnamese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Kim
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Special Events: We have quarterly wine tasting dinner. Please call for tasting date.
- Cross Street: Front and Battery
- Public Transit: We are around the corner from the Embarcadero Bart station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is plenty of street parking in front after 7:00pm. Free parking is also available on the side street after 6pm. Public parking garage is within half a block.
A word from Unicorn Pan Asian Cuisine - San Francisco
At Unicorn, we provide a unique, modern and elegant dining atmosphere suited to relax our customers and prepare them to embark on a Pan-Asian culinary experience. Over 50 dishes are traditionally prepared and our selection is a blend of fresh, daily hand picked vegetables and meats, complimented with an array of herbs and exotic spices. We provide a selection of fine wines, delicious desserts and traditionally prepared Asian teas and coffees to complete your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Unicorn Pan Asian Cuisine - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Unicorn Pan Asian Cuisine - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)great for lunch (6)good for groups (3)special occasion (3)neighborhood gem (3)romantic (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Need to hire more wait-staffOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/22/2013Need to hire more wait-staff during lunch and dinner hours. The restaurant doesn't seem to have enough wait-staff to service customers.
- had a reservation at 6:30pm.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013had a reservation at 6:30pm. extremly noisy at bar, unable to carry a conversation. ordered special menu for two which have a various wraps and sea food plater. food has no taste and very bland(suprised for pan asian food). unedible!!! pick a few things and left most of wraps untouched. ordered pinot noir which is dull and not dry, left a bad taste in my mouth, returned and asked for a beer. charged me for a returned wine, asked a waiter to remove the charge of wine. worst asian cuisine ever! NOT RECOMMEND!!
- Excellent food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/6/2013Excellent food and service! And moderately priced! We highly recommend Unicorn.
- It is a lounge style place,OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/1/2013It is a lounge style place, geared more for cocktails after work. Food quality can be a lot better, so is service. If you are a wine drinker, not the place to go, wine list is pretty meager. Not the best Fusion place in SF.
- worst dining experience ever.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/1/2013worst dining experience ever. we waited an hour for our food and 30 mins for our drink. our server lacked customer service skills and did not communicate well with us. the manager was the one that tried to keep us in the restaurant because we were about to walk out after waiting for so long. the food was decent but the service was so bad we would never go back again.
- Good place for business lunchesdan7000VIPDined on 2/1/2013I've been here a few times for work lunches and its good for that purpose. The ambience and service are very good, the place looks and feels very upscale and refined, and they have a very extensive menu with really interesting entrees and appetizers inspired by Thai and Vietnamese food but with different touches that you won't find anywhere else. Like spring rolls with mango in them. The reason I give the food only 3 stars is that it all seems very sugary to me. Everything is sweet and rich. And on top of it there are lots of sweet and rich sauces. It reminds me a lot of OSHA Thai in that way. It's a cheap way to make people like your food and they don't need to do it.Special Features:
- The place is great for theAnthonyDined on 1/25/2013The place is great for the atmosphere. it's eclectic and unique, which you may expect from a restaurant called "Unicorn." The cuisine is Asian, but definitely feels like it doesn't go all the way, so it's great for those who are dipping their toes in Asian cuisine, but not for those expecting genuine penang curry. The food was still good, but it's not something I'd crave later on.Special Features:
- Very nice decor and use ofOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/14/2013Very nice decor and use of glass - Murano sculptures. Also initimate rooms for a small group.Special Features:
- Better food and service onJBayDined on 12/12/2012Better food and service on Dec 12 than it was in early Nov.
- The restaurant was extremelywoogVIPDined on 12/7/2012The restaurant was extremely noisy. There were some large groups and maybe that contributed to that. Service was uneven. The female waiter was great and very accommodating. The male waiter disappeared for long periods and dinner probably lasted 30 minutes longer than it should have. The food was quite good. Just wished that the noise level was a little bit less and the service was better.Special Features:
- Went for lunch with co-workersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/6/2012Went for lunch with co-workers who have never been there before. Feedback was positive and everyone loved the food.Special Features:
- Very noisy to the point whereBaywandererVIPDined on 12/5/2012Very noisy to the point where you cannot hear the person across the table when tables are full.Special Features:
- Average yet pricey foodLuv2eatDined on 11/29/2012The staff is nice and friendly. The food quality is average but pricey. I wouldn't go back to this restaurant again.
- This is great for businessOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/28/2012This is great for business lunches that don't have to be super ritzy. The food is terrific and it's not at all overpriced. Hidden Gem.Special Features:
- Although noisy, the food isMissvicVIPDined on 10/30/2012Although noisy, the food is reasonably priced for the Financial District, and is consistently good. Service is always fine.Special Features:
- Fabulous food. WonderfulLexophileVIPDined on 10/17/2012Fabulous food. Wonderful flavors and beautifully prepared. Would recommend to friends in a heartbeat. The basa was exceptional as was the lotus salad.
- tepid reception/ chuly knock offsoahu2sfVIPDined on 10/6/2012I saved a certificate for this restaurant to use and when I arrived, they noted they do not honor, it's an old certificate. My certificate did not have an expiration date. But I thought they would make some type of concession. We thought to leave but gave it a try. I can see why it was empty. The bartender was also our server. Food okay, but the certificate experience left me with a stale moment, I would not recommend this restaurant. After the fact, I learned that the state of CA policy or law states they are to accept the certificate with no expiration date. I think I plan to contact the attorney general's office to give this restaurant a heads up for future customers if any.
- The vegan menu is a greatjaneyoVIPDined on 9/27/2012The vegan menu is a great deal and a wonderful mix of tasty treats.
- I felt like because we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2012I felt like because we were a large party and they were going to get their 18% anyway, they didn't try to give us good service
- I enjoyed Unicorn when itSFAEVIPDined on 7/20/2012I enjoyed Unicorn when it was in Berkeley. Nice that they are now in SF! Great place for some fun flavor combinations....and always fresh!Special Features:
- I always love coming hereFoodie4meDined on 7/5/2012I always love coming here and the food, asian-fusion is terrific. Everything on the menu is good:)Special Features:
- A good spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2012I've had dinner and lunch at Unicorn. Both occasions were very enjoyable. Food is creative, service attentive and location convenient. Definitely a place to go back to when I'm in the city.Special Features:
- The food was fairly expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2012The food was fairly expensive for the quality, and there was nothing interesting (relatively speaking) on the menu. Also, the vegan menu was a joke. Finally, the corkage fee was highway robbery. My wife really hated the place.
- As long as you avoid the largeWAK2013VIPDined on 6/4/2012As long as you avoid the large jalapeno slices, the tuna ceviche with julienned green mango, jicama, and lotus root is wonderful. The mango bean curd with eggplant is living proof that vegetarian entrees do not have to be an after- thought for your sole vegan friend. The textures and multiple flavor notes would please any omnivore. If it were located in a less desolate location, Unicorn would be filled every night.Special Features:
- Nice place and yummy foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/31/2012Nice place and yummy food with extraordinary decibel level during the lunch rush.Special Features:
- Very good food and nice ambiance.lagarnoldDined on 5/19/2012Very good food and nice ambiance. Waiter was very attentive. The negative side was that this restaurant doesn't take credit cards, (not debit cards), which we were not aware of until time to pay. Thank fully we had enough cash to cover. Not sure what they would've done if we hadn't???
- During this visit, we orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2012During this visit, we ordered something from the prix fixe menu - the horn of plenty. We were impressed when they brought out a plate of a large variety of rolls and sauces, but did not expect this appetizer-looking plate to be the entirety of the meal. The rolls were delicious, but definitely not filling.Special Features:
- One of the best Asian-fusion in SFKostaVVIPDined on 4/28/2012I've been to Unicorn many times beforeand always enjoy their food. It is consistently good and well prepared. Their flavors are innovative and well balanced. Fantastic experience every time.Special Features:
- Really liked--want to go back!ThePlantFanDined on 4/25/2012We went here on a rainy weeknight for dinner. It wasn't crowded but didn't feel empty either. The two of us ordered the land prix fixe meal--delicious. A great wine was suggested to go with dinner. It's a beautiful restaurant. I would like to check it out on a Friday or Saturday night--seems like it would be a fun place to go on a date or with small group for some fun and good eats!Special Features:
- My husband and I went hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012My husband and I went here while visiting San Francisco. We were very pleased with our dinner experience here. All of the food that we ordered was good and the entrees were excellent! The service was very good even considering that there were 2 large groups in the restaurant with us at the same time. The prices were very reasonable compared to the other places that we ate while in San Francisco. We would definitely recommend.
- Good food and service, butOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/19/2012Good food and service, but the restaurant failed to credit our reservation initially. Also, there was an electronic touch-screen device used to pay the bill that I hated. Also, it forced you into specifically pre-determined gratuity rates, which I also hated. I would not go back.Special Features:
- This plate is hit or missLoveMyFoodVIPDined on 2/23/2012This plate is hit or miss in terms of having any people there. Definitely more fun when you're not the only two people in the restaurant. Service also should have been a bit more attentive given that fact (it gets worse when there are other people) but the food is unique and pretty good, especially the rolls.
- Fabulous! As always, bothReneeKDined on 1/13/2012Fabulous! As always, both the food and service are superb. This is one of our favorite San Francisco restaurants.Special Features:
- We were searching for a resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2011We were searching for a resturant for a last minute reservation near the Ferry Building when we found the Unicorn. We had recently eaten at the Slanted Door and found the food uneven in quality. However we were plesantly surprised when we had dinner at the Unicorn. Every thing we had has very good to excellent. The staff was very friendly. We particularly liked the Crab Tower, Streamed Vermicelli with Chicken and the Pork Shank. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Outstanding Asian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/23/2011The service was awesome and the food was outstanding. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. We went the night before Thanksgiving, so the restaurant wasn't busy and the noise level was very low. I work close by and will definitely go back and check out the lunch scene. As I mentioned earlier, the food is outstanding and I look forward to trying some of he other dishes on the menu.Special Features:
- What I especially like aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2011What I especially like about Unicorn is not the description of the food in the menu, but what arrives on your plate. The mix of flavors is always surprising and delicious, and typically not what I was expecting from the wording on the menu. I've come to not fuss over menu and just trust that whatever I order will be delicious. I've not been disappointed yet!Special Features:
- Prob better for lunchJeffDined on 10/14/2011There was a large very loud group right next to us so that made it a little difficult. We got the Horn of Plenty platter to split. Everything was pretty good, and it was fairly reasonable. Service was good, just seemed more of a lunch spot than a dinner place.Special Features:
- The Asian-fusion food is reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/14/2011The Asian-fusion food is really terrific. Too bad about decor and the noise. It's just unfortunate you have to eat your wonderful meal bathed in blue light. But if you can look past these things, they really do know how to cook.Special Features:
- This place should be packed!DBPaleoVIPDined on 9/14/2011Fabulous variety of innovative, delicious pan asian dishes; attentive customer service and knowledgeable wait staff; very reasonable priced; easy to get to! For those with food allergies, there were several options that were free of shellfish and gluten, or were easily modified to accommodate those requests. For some reason, it was pretty quiet when I went on a Thursday evening, which was odd because the food and service were superb. I'll definitely be back :)Special Features:
- This is a great FinancialmsquareVIPDined on 7/28/2011This is a great Financial District restaurant/bar that has a beautiful interior and although it is on the small side, could easily be fit into the high end category if it were larger. The food is expertly presented and looks like something a well trained chef would prepare. The menu offers many options and everything we ordered was wonderful. I would highly recommend it as a dinner option as it gets quite busy during lunch hours. Food will be well worth the wait if going during the day! Servers offer great descriptions if you are not sure of options to choose. A great find!Special Features: