231 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.varalliusa.com/
- Phone: 2155466800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm Lunch: Private group luncheons can be arranged by contacting our special events coordinator Brian Datesman @ 215-546-6800
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: William Carroll
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Varalli Restaurant can accommodate large parties of 10 or more people. An array of rooms and spaces are available that are versatile and flexible for your dining needs. Varalli Restaurant has 24+ years experience in coordinating private events. See for yourself the Varalli difference.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Datesman 2155466800
A word from Varalli Restaurant
Residing in the heart of Philadelphia’s Center City, Varalli Restaurant reflects the elegance and artistry of its Avenue of the Arts location. A dining destination for over 24 years, Varalli Restaurant is conveniently located within a few blocks of the Convention Center, major hotels, theaters and arts venues. This restaurant boasts playful decorative accents that give each dining room the distinction of a chic gallery featuring whimsical oceanic sculptural details and a unique illuminated glass fusion mosaic. The menu’s Northern Italian and Mediterranean-style seafood dishes are works of art in their own rights and promise flavorful distractions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Varalli Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (29)fit for foodies (24)romantic (22)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (16)scenic view (13)vibrant bar scene (11)notable wine list (10)hot spot (6)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Not Varalli's best nightDanCDined on 3/1/2014We've often eaten here on a Saturday before an Orchestra concerts because the food and service have been consistently good. Not this time, though. First, our waiter - as we learned after we had ordered - neglected to tell us the specials. The mushroom soup appetizers were, as always, excellent. But our entrees took about 40 minutes to appear. It looked as if the pasta for my wife's entree had been cooked and then put aside while my sea bass was cooked. In any event, it had coagulated into a solid mass before the sauce was added. By the time our entrees appeared, it was getting close to concert time, so it didn't seem worth it to complain. The fish was satisfactory, but nothing special.
- great locationlovndrrylDined on 3/1/2014Loved my evening at Varalli 's restaurant. Food was great. Service excellent.Portions were satisfying.Loved the fact that server was interested in getting our meal served before our show. Overrall I would go back and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night DinnerGerryDined on 2/28/2014Informed the front desk we were not going to a show. We then were accommodated with a very leisurely meal with great service. I had the price fixe menu which was very good, very filling at a very reasonable price. Would definitely go back next time in Philadelphia. Nice central location right on Broad St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great As AlwaysAuntieBDined on 2/24/2014We have eaten here many times in the past and it is always a treat. The staff is pleasant and the food is delicious! We are usually going to an event at the Kimmel Center nearby so we appreciate the fact that we are served in good time without feeling rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very dependable diningMaryJaneDined on 2/21/2014This restaurant has been consistently excellent in service and food. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Consistently Excellent!MAGGIEVIPDined on 2/20/2014Dinner and service at Varelli are never disappointing. The service is always gracious, the regular Italian menu is delicious, and the specials (this week I had the duck breast with port/cherry sauce) are a treat. Throw in that George is the best maître d'hôtel in the city and you will be happy you chose Varelli. We go before shows or the ballet at the Academy, or sometimes just for a drink afterwards. Either way, we have been perfectly satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater diningNellDined on 2/20/2014My friends and I went to the restaurant before a performance at the Academy of Music. The restaurant is conveniently located across the street from the Academy. The food was very good and so was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good for theatre goingmarleneVIPDined on 2/18/2014very decent food in an excellent location. very accomodating for theatre goers- the restaurant is across the street from Academy of Music and the restaurant helps you getiing in and out if in a hurry. extremely good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varalli- Pleasant surpriseJoetVIPDined on 2/18/2014Dinner with friends at a Broad St Italian restaurant near the Academy was approached with low expectations but Varalli was a pleasant surprise. The room was very pleasant with a central bar that was not too lively. Food was good. Our flat bread appetizer was more a thin crust pizza, but tasty. Salads were well dressed and tasty, and wine by the glass was reasonable. There was a solid wine list by the bottle.. Soup was tasty. Entrees generous. Service was attentive , friendly and professional. Only negative is they did not have the spinach pappardelle on the day of our visit and the gnocchi was at best average. A little to dense, but a generous portion in a tasty marinara. All in all a good choice - good food and service at a fair price.Special Features:
- great food. great service.cityguy2014Dined on 2/15/20142 couples went for valentine's celebration and the food was great! the whole experience was nice, we were not rushed and we enjoyed ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced foodLive2EatVIPDined on 2/15/2014The food was just ok, but not enough to warrant the prices. I ordered the langostino appetizers--it was only 2 split into 2, so it looked like 4--but the price was $16. The flatbreads were bare and those went for $14+. My husband ordered the salad and bass special, he thought it was fair, but not outstanding for the over $25 price tag. Upside, our server, Jennifer was attentive and responsive. However, even her personalized service could not overcome the feeling that we could have chosen a restaurant that took more pride in its food or provided a better value for the food served.
- Fab food and fun timesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014Our experience at Varalli mirrored previous dinners. We were hosting out of town guests who are foodies and they loved every choice they made. Great place before a concert or destination, fun to come back to for after- event drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Going to Varalli for the first time and on Valentine's Day, I needed everything to be perfect. Varalli and our waiter Joe provided the truest form of excellency. I look forward to my next time dining there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- valentine's day before orchestrabengendaDined on 2/14/2014The service was efficient. We were done in plenty of time for the orchestra even though we had appetizers and dessert. The portions were large and the food was fine. Nothing to write home about, but it was a good choice for the evening. It was a mistake to order the cocktail special. Just order wine.Special Features:
- Oh the Opera .....JeffmbigsVIPDined on 2/9/2014Varilli is directly across from the Academy of Music and makes pre and post theater dining a snap with good food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite of ours for dinnerMysteryriderVIPDined on 2/7/2014A favorite of ours for dinner after an evening at the Philly Pops or the Wilma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableJoanVIPDined on 2/7/2014This is an always reliable, easily accessible restaurant. We are never disappointed.Special Features:
- our waitress was awesome!kittyDined on 2/7/2014our waitress was awesome! Very attentive and nice! Had a great dinner when my brother was in town and the food was also very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable, good foodMimiDined on 2/1/2014We ate at Varalli's prior to attending a concert at the Kimmel. We had asked to be finished with dinner by 7:45 and that was duly noted by the maitre d'. I had the veal which was tasty, a trifle tough but insignificant.ly so. My husband had the cod which was also well-prepared.The truffled polenta side dish was excellent. I ate that instead of dessert! Before we ordered, my husband felt raindrops. The waterfall on the glass window beside our table was not functioning correctly. When efforts to rectify the situation were not successful, our seats were changed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is badOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2014Food was horrible. Service is okay. Location is good.
- Restaurant Week Great MenuMaggieDined on 1/30/2014We were headed to the Kimmel Center and enjoyed dinner at Varralli's before the concert. The service is always excellent. The ask about 'curtain times' before they take your order. Food selections on the four cours restaurant week menu were varied and excellent. Great place for dinner.Special Features:
- Most ReliableBretVIPDined on 1/30/2014Even during Restaurant Week five of us found Varalli's to be near the top of their game.The place was packed yet the service was attentive, professional, and friendly.The crew was doing their best to accommodate everyone so, at times appeared a bit frazzled.Because of our time constraints we opted for the regular menu and were not disappointed.The veal piccatta was sublime, tender and flavorful with a light sauce.Three of the four seafood entrees were delightful and cooked to each diner's preference and were spot on delicious.The sea bass however was disappointingly overcooked and without much flavor in spite of the tangy sauce.Our server was a gem, attending to our requests while insuring that we were on schedule for our event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went early because we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2014We went early because we had theater tickets and were treated like royalty. It was also Restaurant Week and the pre fix menu was exquisite and affordable. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Awesome!!TrinaDined on 1/26/2014My husband and I went for Restaurant Week. The food was excellent! The service was impeccable! There is absolutely nothing to complain about! I would ABSOLUTELY be returning there for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All of the food was good,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/25/2014All of the food was good, but an extra rave for the bread. It was a delicious focaccio and they provided a great pesto and dipping oil. Our server was efficient and delightful and was attentive to our request to get out for an 8:00 p.m. curtain. We also like the atmosphere and a noise level where we could comfortably converse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater District GemBobbyinPhillyDined on 1/25/2014Food choices are great for the Philadelphia Restaurant Week. Normally we come here after a performance for a cocktail and a snack. After having dinner this time we will be back. It was a wonderful experience. Staff was great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedChrisVIPDined on 1/24/2014I don't usually write reviews, but this one deserves one based on how greatly it deviated from the general consensus. The only positive thing I can say is that they pour generously sized glasses of wine. Other that that, it was not a good experience -- everything from the cold bread to start through the "mixed berries" at the end, which turned out to be just strawberries. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Our server, Joe, was outstanding.luckyVIPDined on 1/24/2014Our server, Joe, was outstanding. In spite of it being a busy Restaurant Week evening with the prospects of a lower tip, Joe was attentive but never intrusive and in good cheer. Bravo, Joe
- Good food, great service!100213VIPDined on 1/24/2014Elaina, our server, and the entire staff knew we were going to the Orchestra, and they did a fantastic job of serving our four course Restaurant Week dinner in a timely manner. They were extremely accommodating, and we most appreciative.I would recommend this to a friend.
- both the food and the servicebitemeVIPDined on 1/24/2014both the food and the service were excellent and they made sure we made our 8 o'clock curtain with time to spare! additionally, it was restaurant week and while some restaurants don't exactly provide their best in terms of choices, quality and ingredients; Varalli was first rate in all categoriesI would recommend this to a friend.
- Window on Broad StreetNasijarviVIPDined on 1/24/2014We had a lovely restaurant week dinner here. Food choices on both the regular and restaurant week menu were wide enough to accommodate a variety of tastes. Everything that the six of us had was delicious. Service was perfect from the time we entered the door.
- Center City FavoriteSteveDined on 1/20/2014Where my buddies and I almost always go before a concert at the Kimmel Center.Special Features:
- Great decor, Close proximityJanethefrequentDinerDined on 1/19/2014Great decor, Close proximity to all the theaters. The choices are many and varied. The prix fixe plus other entrees are very fairly priced and everything was beautifully presented and tasted great.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekpmrthirdVIPDined on 1/19/2014Great restaurant in the theatre district. After Sunday matinee went to enjoy their restaurant week pre-fixxe menu which included four courses. Everything was great! My party thoroughly enjoyed all of our meals. I loved the stuffed mushrooms especially!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed our fourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2014We really enjoyed our four course meal during restaurant week. Very nice presentation and very nice portions.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining Experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2014Expertly prepared food and excellent staff from host to servers.... Visit and Enjoy !I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find!CrazyoldmanDined on 1/18/2014Went last night prior to a show...what a great dinner. Arrive at 6 PM and quickly seated. The Maitre D' was warm and engaging; he also asked if we were seeing a show. The service was efficient, friendly and flawless. Each course was well-prepared.. Duck sausage, fried zucchini, Veal Piccata, herb-crusted wild salmon, bread pudding, panna cotta are all recommended. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinning before concertBarbODined on 1/18/2014The food is excellent in preparation, taste, and selection. Roasted chicken and veggies were delicious. Prices are more than the suburbs. Service is somewhat slow. Had to search for waitress for check. Did get to the concert on time. Great location for viewing city traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No attention to detailOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/17/2014I informed them that it was our anniversary and to tuck us away in a quit spot. That didn't happen and the spot we were in was very loud with no ambience.
- Great TimeLovePhilaDined on 1/17/2014Have dined at Varelli's a few times and have always enjoyed the wonderful northern Italian food, & great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.