231 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.varalliusa.com/
- Phone: 2155466800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm Lunch: Private group luncheons can be arranged by contacting our special events coordinator Brian Datesman @ 215-546-6800
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: William Carroll
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Varalli Restaurant can accommodate large parties of 10 or more people. An array of rooms and spaces are available that are versatile and flexible for your dining needs. Varalli Restaurant has 24+ years experience in coordinating private events. See for yourself the Varalli difference.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Datesman 2155466800
A word from Varalli Restaurant
Residing in the heart of Philadelphia’s Center City, Varalli Restaurant reflects the elegance and artistry of its Avenue of the Arts location. A dining destination for over 24 years, Varalli Restaurant is conveniently located within a few blocks of the Convention Center, major hotels, theaters and arts venues. This restaurant boasts playful decorative accents that give each dining room the distinction of a chic gallery featuring whimsical oceanic sculptural details and a unique illuminated glass fusion mosaic. The menu’s Northern Italian and Mediterranean-style seafood dishes are works of art in their own rights and promise flavorful distractions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Varalli Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)special occasion (26)romantic (21)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (15)scenic view (13)vibrant bar scene (11)notable wine list (10)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Improptu VisitOkayfoodDined on 5/4/2014We bookked an unplanned visit to the restaurant however what we did not take into account was that it across the street from the Kimmell Center. This is a restaurant I would visit again based on customer service (even though a a performance just let out and our reservation was meaningless we were seated on time). Since we live in the neighborhood it was a nice spot but I wouldn't travel in to town for this restaurant. Not sure if we would go back, food was pedestrian although the service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantArleneDined on 5/3/2014Have been here many many times...foood and service is ALWAYS excellent. Great ambiance. Quiet, relaxing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-concert RestaurantBernieDined on 5/3/2014The food was great. The service was very attentive. The server asked if we had concert tickets and he made sure we were served and finished in time. Sometimes, we are rushing to get to a concert because a server didn't bring the check in time. There were none of those issues here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bump in the roadEricDined on 5/3/2014We've eaten at Varalli many times before because it is conventiently located across from the Kimmel Center. My wife has a food allergy that the staff has been great about in the past. During our last dining experience, she and my daughter told the waitress they were sharing their meals so please make them both allergy conscious. Instead, my daughter's dish came out completely loaded with the allergen. The maître d' came out to apologize, but we couldn't send it back because all of the other dishes had come out. Was she going to wait while the rest of us ate? It shouldn't have been on the bill. It was really a shame, because we've had generally good experiences there. A final note, it was absurdly loud at the bar, we had to shout.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied Birthday Twins!TwinsDined on 4/30/2014Varalli is ALWAYS a go-to type restaurant for family & friends. We are NEVER disappointed!! We typically go to celebrate birthday occasions and to participate in Philadelphia Restaurant Week. The food was outstanding; the atmosphere was great; fellow diners cordial; and our server was the best - I believe Edward was his name. We will definitely be back and not just for a special occasion. Thanks for ANOTHER wonderful dining experience :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentDiner16Dined on 4/27/2014We dine here frequently. The food is always good. Service friendly and professional. Don't change a think..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyJudieDined on 4/26/2014This Resturant is accommodating and has a wonderful staff. I took my daughter who is handicapped in a wheel chair and they made sure the table was perfect with a beautiful view of the Avenue of the Arts! As far as the food it is fantastic I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner4inphillyDined on 4/26/2014Dinner was delicious, service was great! It was very convenient to the doubletree hotel and theaters in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BluebellerBluebellerVIPDined on 4/25/2014Pre-concert. Never disappointed. Friendly, helpful waitstaff. Drinks good. Calamari appetizer excellent. Veal piccata tender and tasty. Tartufo just right for dessert. And in plenty of time for the concert without feeling rushed. We have never been disappointed here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Excellent MealPaulVIPDined on 4/25/2014Varalli's remains our favorite pre-concert/theater restaurant. The food is always excellent as is the service. I'm absolutely clueless how they manage to serve a completely full restaurant in time for the 8 PM performances while maintaining superbly prepared meals. BUT they do so without rushing you out the door or appearing to be rushed themselves. The meal just happens. Kudos all around!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre concert diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014Nice dressy restaurant for pre show dinner if you enjoy dining vs eating. Food excellent. Service too. Across from Academy of Music and one block from Kimmel Center. Parking nearby. Lively bar. EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always gr8latinprofVIPDined on 4/25/2014love the food and the service and the place in general. miss the duck, but the veal piccata is superb! and tiramisu to die for...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location, Location, LocationStanleymanlyVIPDined on 4/24/2014Great location, near the Academy of Music and the Kimmel Center, handy for pre-theatre or after-theatre, been there for a long time, but appears to be sliding downhill. Warm but clumsy greeting. Maybe it was the crying baby that soured the mood, but the infant would not stop wailing, until the parents finally left. At 8:45 the restaurant was one-third full, with a private party of about 12 in a separate room. Decent wine list, fairly priced. Waiter seemed inexperienced. We shared a beet salad and asked for dressing on the side. It arrived drenched in dressing. We sent it back. My chicken breast was dry, the vegetables overdone.
- excellent mealVINPOLDined on 4/24/2014EAch of us enjoyed our entree choices. the service was personable and friendly and efficient. we felt relaxed and really enjoyed our dinner there.Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 4/24/2014We often dine at Varalli before the Phila. Orch. concerts because the food is very good, the service is quick and keyed to getting people to the various theaters in the area, and the vibe is comfortable. This past Saturday was no exception. Great meal and a nice way to start our evening!Special Features:
- Dining out for Life outingEarlyDinerVIPDined on 4/24/2014A group of 7 dined here for Dining Out For Life. The staff was wonderful at handling separate checks and different "paces" for dinner. i.e. some ordered the tasting menu, some just entrees. They also graciously handled the change from a party of 6 that we had reserved, to a party of 7. All of us are regular diners here. It is always a pleasure to be welcomed by their great host.Special Features:
- Great pastaLovethefunoffoodVIPDined on 4/21/2014Had the pasta stuffed with eggplant and it was delicious. Had question about bottles of wine and bartender helped us immensely! Would definitely return!
- excellent meal and attentive staffJillDined on 4/19/2014The menu has an excellent selection and "specials". All 4 diners reported their food was excellent except the salmon was considered by one to be slightly overcooked. The only disappointment was the creme brulee, but when we mentioned this to the waiter, he was very apologetic , offered another desert, and removed the creme brulee from the bill. The ambiance is very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and convenientOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/15/2014One member of our group was a vegetarian--the waiter helped her choose an entrée and then had it customized for her--she said it was delicious! We've been dining at this restaurant for years and have NEVER been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat visitorEileenDined on 4/11/2014Food was great and our server was attentive and well informed re: the menu. He was able to get us out in time to make the preconcert lecture at the kimmel while making sure our meal experience was a pleasureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great pre-theater placefoodieVIPDined on 4/9/2014I took my daughter and 16 year old granddaughter before seeing a play at the Kimmel Center and we all enjoyed our meal. Between the 3 of us we ordered 2 appetizers, 2 entrees and 2 sides and 2 deserts. the waiter was very accommodating and not put out at all by our desire to share everything and split up all the dishes.
- I am currently disabled andDEdinerVIPDined on 4/6/2014I am currently disabled and I found them to be very accommodating. We ate early, about 4:30, so it was quiet, but noise level went up, but still comfortable to communicate with my friend. Food is really wonderful, nice slight changes in the menu. Wait staff are superb.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in the theater districtChuck2527Dined on 4/5/2014Very enjoyable experience, with a menu of delicious options. I'm a picky eater, and they managed to make my meal perfect--even making a minor change. Highly recomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableMysteryriderVIPDined on 4/4/2014We go there with another couple 10:30 on a Saturday night, and keep going back.Special Features:
- This was our first time atBeavDined on 4/4/2014This was our first time at Varalli. It was wonderful! Everyone enjoyed their meal, as well as the bread with oil and pesto and the apps. Our drinks were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made to Feel WelcomeBretVIPDined on 4/3/2014Five of us have had dinner here several times in the past prior to a performance. Though we all enjoy exploring various dining options, and there are many good ones in Philadelphia, after our recent visit we have concluded that there aren't any that meet our needs any better than Varalli's. We are recognized by the Maitre d' when we enter and promptly escorted to "our table" and greeted by a familiar server. He is most cognizant of timing and always gets us on our way with time to spare. The food may not knock your socks off but it is prepared with fresh ingredients, is innovative but not overly saucy, and is very flavorful. This visit all of us commented about how fresh and tasty all of our choices were and nicely presented. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location near the AcademyAnnieDined on 4/2/2014Great location near the Academy of Music so wonderful for a quick early dinner before a show.
- Casual Dining Before ShowBillDined on 4/1/2014Great food and service. Not rushed. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved VaralliOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2014Good friends who had gone to Varalli for years before Philadelphia Orchestra concerts recommended it for the food and the service. The food was delicious, the service impeccable, and easily met some difficult dietary needs. We went with another couple on Sunday night when it wasn't crowded and we were able to talk with each other in normal voices. Nice. We hope to return many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- convenient consistentJHP1VIPDined on 3/29/2014Great pre theater spot. Attentive service. Food good. Would probably not make a trip there were it not for the location. Reasonably pricedI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDropinDined on 3/28/2014Very good service. Food was great. Need a bigger bar selection. And get rid of the fries that came with the steak. Made it have a cheap feeling. But a great time though.Special Features:
- Great for pre concert.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/27/2014Lovely atmosphere and the food was excellent. We both had linguine with clams and I thought it was the best I've ever had, I will definitely return and probably soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place Good food & ServiceJoetVIPDined on 3/25/2014Handy to the theater and attentive and professional service . Good food and good wine list- reasonable prices. Flatbread starter was tasty and could be shared by four. My wife's crab salad was very good and had ample chunks of lump crab and freash crisp ingredients. My spinach pappardelle had a nice sauce and ample meat- pasta was a bit overcooked and tasteless however. But generally good. Service was attentive and professional. A good value for a center city eatery. We recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!PattyCDined on 3/25/2014Delicious food, great service, and very convenient to theaters for before or after show dining and drinksSpecial Features:
- Excellent PlaceCharlesDined on 3/22/2014For anyone going to a show this is an excellent place to eat. Food is good and service is prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant sits rightOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/22/2014The restaurant sits right in the middle of the theater district and is a pre-show favorite. Reservations peak at 6:30 - 7:00 p.m. They make an excellent and successful effort to get you to your show on time. The food is good and the servers are terrific. They work under tremendous pressure with the crowd all coming in at virtually the same time. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and serviceToddDined on 3/22/2014Stop here often. Service and food are very good. Bartenders are great and always have some unique drinks availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding service - best waitressEricDined on 3/22/2014good food, but really outstanding waitress. The noise level was to be expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinner pre "Phantom"OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014Delicious dinner! We chose the tasting menu- we had no trouble selecting from the varied choices- everything sounded wonderful. It was just enough, not overwhelming, and our server was awesome. We were concerned about the 2 hours recommended because we were seeing "Phantom" at 8, but our server made it work perfectly. Bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gourmet North Italian Dining!AngelicaDined on 3/15/2014It is always a pleasure to return to Varalli's and find something new and interesting on the menu. The appetizers are appealing and serve as a small plate as well; in particular, the shrimp my friend ordered. The wine selection is quite good. I enjoyed the calamari with peppers and sauce over argula. The pork loin was a goodly size and tender as was the Veal Picante which I love! Really splendid dining. I have to make a separate trip for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.