201 South B. St.
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kingfish.net/
- Phone: 6503431226
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Saturday 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from KINGFISH
Kingfish offers Fresh Seafood flown in from around the world, Fire grilled Prime Steak, Wagyu Ribeye, Signature Spicy BBQ Shrimp, Ice Cold Fresh Oysters and our famous Tuna Tartare from the marble slab Oyster Bar, and a winelist with over 400 selections makes Kingfish THE place. Blending tasty FRESH, HIGH QUALITY ingredients with a fun environment is why Kingfish makes the decision about where to go to dinner an easy one. Kingfish also provides numerous spacious banquet facilities for parties as small as 10 people to groups as large as 400 people. Kingfish offers live entertainment on occasion, 3 full bars, and an energetic night life. Kingfish does offer Valet!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
KINGFISH reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)good for groups (46)special occasion (33)fit for foodies (29)vibrant bar scene (23)great for lunch (21)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (11)romantic (9)late-night find (8)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (4)Show More
- Missing the romanceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014Was looking for a quiet romantic place to dine with my wife to get away from our kids. The service and food were excellent but it was a lot louder than I had wanted. The group next to is had children and there was a crying baby down stairs. Overall it's a great place, very alive but not for a quiet romantic eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service SwampedgoldbloodedgrillerVIPDined on 3/16/2014Good food, friendly service, nice atmosphere but excruciating long gaps in service. At least 30 min. between appetizer plates being cleared and arrival of our entrees. Drinks ordered from the bar take a long time. A guest at my table received his dessert, beignets, after everyone else at the table had already finished eating their desserts and coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/15/2014If you are in a hurry and there is not much else open, then it might be an option. Table height is good for a bar but not to eat at. Food is fair.
- QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/12/2014Great food and service. The menu has a wide variety of offerings and the flavors are awesome.Special Features:
- good solid restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014Went here to have dinner with an old friend.. staff was very friendly and helpful. We were an hour late for our reservation yet they were still very accommodating. Great menu selection and even better wine list. My only gripe with this restaurant is the restrooms were upstairs and we were seated downstairs so I would an upstairs table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful time. WeTrottterDined on 3/7/2014We had a wonderful time. We have a handicap child and they put us at a table that worked perfectly. The food was great. Skirt steak for are granddaughter, she loved it. Great ceasar and butter lettuce salad were enjoyed. Lorilei was are server and she was on top of it all the time. I love Fish Tacos and hands down, Kingfish has the BEST. Beating Pacific Catch and Paul Martin.s!!! Our group also had Braised short ribs and Mahi Mahi special that was great. Desserts were fabulous. Shirlee TrottSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, excellent servicenancydrewinsfDined on 3/5/2014My office is in downtown San Mateo. We often have visitors from New York and other metropolitan areas. This is our favorite place to take them. The raw bar is impressive, the service is attentive, and the Balthazar appetizer is worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kelly the server was one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/4/2014Kelly the server was one of the best servers i had in a while. We all loved her energy. Greg the bartender was friendly tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey for the qualityGordonVIPDined on 3/4/2014Kingfish is just okay. The meal and service were not substantial enough to justify their higher prices.
- a little disappointedkarlaVIPDined on 2/24/2014Had big expectations form this restaurant we being here before and our lunch experience was very nice last time. This time we were here for dinner and we didn't had a good experience our server was just inattentive. Hostess are nice and friendly. Food was just ok nothing out of this world overall was just okay.
- The server removed any gratifactionDisgruntledDined on 2/22/2014The server removed any gratifaction expected. He was near rude and without proper training.
- Just what I was looking foraveragejoeDined on 2/21/2014I found an old gift certificate to this place and for some reason never got around going until last week. I love cajun/creole food and lived in New Orleans for several years in my youth. I ordered one of my favorites (jambalaya) and the flavors of this dish brought me back to my youth with a sense of sweat and savory with just enough spice to delight the tongue. The portion was large and satisfying. I will be back to try some of my other favorites next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I used to love this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014I used to love this restaurant. The food had limitless flavor. Did they change owners or chief? The food is not the same. I was disappointed.
- Good ExperienceSim2000hkDined on 2/15/2014Great Food, Fair Customer Service, Good EnvironmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice & dependableEaterVIPDined on 2/15/2014What I love about this place is that it stays open from lunch thru dinner. We found ourselves hungry at 4 pm (although our reservation was @ 5:15) so we headed over there and they took us. We decided to share everything as their portions are quite large. Had the cabbage salad (loved it -- admittedly not a very pretty looking salad, but delicious!): had a dozen raw oysters (excellent); had the calamari appetizer (kind f a small portion, but good); & shared the rib eye entree (very good)! Food is consistently good here & we like this place a lot.Special Features:
- Dissapointing start but good finishBubbaDined on 2/14/2014I was disappointed with the way they seemed to handle reservations. Showed up a few minutes late of our set time and waited and watched several couples that arrived after us be taken to a table. Once finally showed to a table had to wait several more minutes for it to be bused from the previous grouo. Our waiter started the plus side of the evening, he was friendly and apologetic for the wait. Food was good and was able to somewhat forget about the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDavidDined on 2/14/2014We loved the food!! We had an early reservation and it turned out to be totally worth it! We sat down at 5:30 and were done by 6:50. The food was perfect, our server was awesome and we loved the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better for dinnerBenteDined on 2/10/2014normally dinner is fine here but this time we had lunch. Food was mediocre (bummed) and the host was rather rude when I asked if we could change tables. They had placed us on the back side behind the host desk(where no one else was) even though there were plenty of empty tables on the main floor. Rather disappointedSpecial Features:
- The food was good, but ourAnnam711Dined on 2/8/2014The food was good, but our server forgot to give us plates and silverware for both the appetizers and dessert. Otherwise, very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been to Kingfish manyMarkVIPDined on 2/5/2014We've been to Kingfish many times and usually had a great time there... but not this time. It started with us not really being greeted when we checked in. The hostess walked us to our table (we had a reservation for 5) but the table had only 4 chairs and wasn't set. She smashed the the menus on the table and literally just left us. It then took 3 minutes for someone to arrive and set the table for us! The table itself was in the very corner on the ground floor - very loud, dark and very little ambiance. Service was so so and the food was not nearly as good as usual. This was a dinner with family visiting from overseas, so we wanted to show them a nice restaurant. I felt like I was at TGIF, not at Kingfish. We won't be back any time soon.
- Great Seafood with Southern FlairMishkaDined on 2/5/2014We loved the ambience, brick walls with lots of art, nice lighting and attentive service. We sampled the oysters, the crab/avocado roll, the mussels and the seafood cioppino linguini. The appetizers were great. The mussels were perfectly done and the broth was just right - not too salty (as we've found in other restaurants - thanks Kingfish). The cioppino was hot (and even the bowl was hot so my food stayed warm. We were extremely impressed with the Malbec on the sommelier's "top picks" list. Nice to have wines that are really good and not overpriced. Bar area was very lively, yet, where we were, we could enjoy conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mostly very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/1/2014Service, food and atmosphere were very good, but my main course, the sea bass, came with a sauce that had lobster in it. The lobster was fine, but the sauce nearly knocked me out of my chair. I couldn't stop coughing from the spiciness. When I asked my dining partner to try it, he felt the same way. I just left the sauce, since the rest of the meal was fine. I asked my server afterwards what was in that sauce, explaining to her that it was way over the top. She said she would ask the kitchen, but never told me what they said and never apologized or made any reference to it. Disappointed in that part.Special Features:
- nice placeluv2eatDined on 1/31/2014But I wouldn't recommend it to someone who loves food. The portions were small... It's for people who watch their calories. It wasn't filling for me ir my husband... I took him for his birthday dinner... Everything else was great.Special Features:
- We were disappointed in someOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/31/2014We were disappointed in some of the food. Calamari was rubbery, corn bread was dry and overcooked, rolls were tasteless. There was one consolation, however. The wine pours were very generous. What's happened to the kitchen???
- Kingfish a Delight!KathyDined on 1/27/2014I took my family for a birthday dinner at Kingfish. There were 6 of us, plus a 10 month old. They gave us a perfect spot with plenty of space around us so that we weren't bothering other diners and treated us amazingly. We had a great time. The food was delicious. I had swordfish with mango salsa and mashed potatoes. We also had 3 of the appetizers. Two different types of prawns, as well as the artichoke appetizer. All were excellent. The service was terrific, as well. I would definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- We we're almost 30 minutesKdoeshairDined on 1/18/2014We we're almost 30 minutes late for our reservation looking for parking until we realized they had valet parking. The hosted was so nice and even though they were packed on a Sat night she managed to get us a table right away. Food was awesome and overall a great experience !Special Features:
- Enjoyed the light batter onnonicknameVIPDined on 1/17/2014Enjoyed the light batter on the fish and chips, totally delightful. The sea bass was nested on a variety of vegetables. Very tasty fare!Special Features:
- Pretty goodItismeDined on 1/14/2014We had a nice family birthday with for my husband. We got a window table which I like. The server was new. He tried hard. We didn't get to taste the wine before he poured but he will get better. The food was pretty good although sea bass was big but kinda dry and yucky. They brought a cute dessert with a candle. I like it there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Dinner; So-so for LunchFredVIPDined on 1/12/2014A big draw at Kingfish has been the dinner fare and oyster bar, so when the opportunity came up to go to Kingfish for lunch recently, we were looking forward to a wonderful meal. Unfortunately the lunch menu (or to be more specific the brunch menu) was a bit underwhelming. Our party decided to go with a collection of small plates (appetizers) and some salads. While the salads were quite good, the assortment of small plates we had were rather forgettable. The preparation was fine, but flavor was lacking. No complaints about the service; our server was quite attentive. For the money, we'll probably waiting until a dinner engagement presents itself before going back to Kingfish.Special Features:
- Excellent !FalconerVIPDined on 1/6/2014All the reviews were right. Thoroughly enjoyed the food and locale. Will return next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceEddyDined on 1/4/2014Arrived on time 630pm, waited 10 minutes for waiter to come to table. he took drink order; we also ordered food with salad as appetizer. Salad came no drinks. We voiced our displeasure, waiter says bar was backed up. Started salad and knife has stuck debris on it. It did not seem that busy. Been to Kingfish many times over the years; we always had great service. This was a major surprise and annoyance.Special Features:
- Bad service..LambccVIPDined on 1/1/2014Our server just did not do what we asked...my guest asked please with her chicken she would not like any potatoes just vegetables with her dish...but at the same time she is making this request he is looking at another table talking to a bus boy...when her dish arrived it was piled high with mashed potatoes and very little vegetables and did he stop by to see how our meal was....like the food but will think long and hard if I would come back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EveYummyFoodDined on 1/1/2014We had a late dinner at Kingfish for New Years Eve. I was afraid it would be too loud fromt he reviews I had read but we had a nice private table tucked in a corner. Our waitor was very attentive and could not have been friendlier. Service was GREAT. We shared an appetizer of Spicey Shrimp which was delishes. We also had an order of the oysters which comes with three sauces . . . all three were great. I had the steamed clams for my main dish. They were fine, a little salty - I have had better at other locations. My husband had the short ribs which were very good - they came in a large bowl whch really was the best presentation. If I were to go back I would probably stick with the appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XmasphindinerDined on 12/31/2013We were able to get day before res and had a great Xmas diner.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/28/2013We have been to Kingfish over 20 times. The food has gone down the last 2 visits. First on my birthday ( the food has warm/over cook, forgot to bring our appetizer and change us on the bill) decided to give it a try maybe you had a off day...And again the chicken was was warm, dry and over cook again you over charge us . Lots of restaurants in San Mateo not sure why but because of your distraction with the food and services, time to eat else where for our special occasions.
- Overall good but can be improvedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/27/2013I tried to order the jambalaya without mussels or clams and the waiter said that wouldn't be possible because it was premade. You would think that that could just take out the mussels or clams but also makes me think why am I paying for a $20 entree premade anything.
- Movie and DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013Walking distance to the San Mateo movie theater, we enjoy dinner before or after a movie. This time was an afternoon matinee followed by a 6:15 reservation. I noted on the open table reservation that I was currently on crutches. We were seated promptly, at the closest table possible. Nice touch. Appetizers came quickly, drinks were refilled regularly and we all enjoyed what we ordered. Parking in downtown San Mateo can be difficult. We were able to walk from the movie and not worry about parking during prime time. I also noticed valet parking at a reasonable price.
- Skirt steak!rodgeryoungDined on 12/26/2013Though our service was a little slow, and the cozy and romantic upstairs bar was closed the night we came, the drinks and food were very good. Kingfish has mastered a menu mix that feels both traditional and innovative. The food and drinks are consistently very good was well. The skirt steak is superlative. This is perhaps our twelfth visit. We'll be back, especially if that upstairs bar is open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd time hereTallsimpDined on 12/21/2013Every time I come here I am blown away with the quality of food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- where's the service?cljeungDined on 12/21/2013This is the 2nd time I've gone in 2 months. The first time was a very positive experience. The waiter was very attentive an let us taste test 3 different wines before we decided on 2 different glasses of wine. The food was very good. This time, we went on Sat Dec 21. They ran out of halibut and the waiter insisted that the substitution of sea bass was the same. The food was good (portions small). The waiter started clearing off the table before we were all finished, including the bread plates. I found this very annoying as one of us was still eating. We felt we were rushed. It seemed like the waiter did not want to be there. The restaurant is very loud.