201 South B. St.
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kingfish.net/
- Phone: 6503431226
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Saturday 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from KINGFISH
Kingfish offers Fresh Seafood flown in from around the world, Fire grilled Prime Steak, Wagyu Ribeye, Signature Spicy BBQ Shrimp, Ice Cold Fresh Oysters and our famous Tuna Tartare from the marble slab Oyster Bar, and a winelist with over 400 selections makes Kingfish THE place. Blending tasty FRESH, HIGH QUALITY ingredients with a fun environment is why Kingfish makes the decision about where to go to dinner an easy one. Kingfish also provides numerous spacious banquet facilities for parties as small as 10 people to groups as large as 400 people. Kingfish offers live entertainment on occasion, 3 full bars, and an energetic night life. Kingfish does offer Valet!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
KINGFISH reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)good for groups (44)special occasion (34)fit for foodies (30)great for lunch (23)vibrant bar scene (23)kid-friendly (15)romantic (11)hot spot (11)notable wine list (8)late-night find (8)great for brunch (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Slow service. Two of our orders were missing side items. Food was decent but all day menu pricey for lunch. Nice that they offered a kids menu.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food, Little too LoudGarrettDined on 6/5/2014The food was fantastic. I had the shrimp etouffee and it was quite good. The sauce was nicely spiced with just enough cayenne pepper to add spice, but not volcanic. The shrimp and crayfish were tender. My only negative would be the noise level and the restroom. The noise level made it difficult to have a conversation. We were downstairs and it the sound echoed off of the walls and ceiling making for a fairly loud din. As for the men's room, it was in need of serious cleaning. There was a lot of water on the floor near the toilets and they were in need of come cleaning up and refreshing.Special Features:
- Wonderful date night experienceNightoutDined on 5/30/2014My husband and I don't get out too often with two young children so when we go out for a date night we are hoping for a great experience. Kingfish did not disappoint. We had a wonderful experience. Great service, great food, the whole ambience was inviting and warm. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2014The hostesses greeted us and were very cordial. We were disappointed with the food. The SPECIAL MAHI MAHI was very overcooked, and my Fried Shrimp sandwich was also overcooked and very dry. The bus boy wiped down the table with a dirty towel, ughhh!
- Great saladsfredarepVIPDined on 5/23/2014We went for lunch & it wasn't terribly busy. Thus not too loud. This place can be very loud. All the salads are excellent!Special Features:
- geminiDined on 5/22/2014Kingfish was great. I've been there before and it didn't disappoint. Great food, great wine, and a great table upstairs were all ingredients for a lovely evening. It did take longer than usual to receive our meals as our order apparently got stuck behind a huge party order, but our server was gracious and we weren't in a rush so it was fine. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTea23Dined on 5/19/2014Having heard so much about Kingfish, it was a real letdown. Sea bass for the price was so so. Hard to tell if it was fresh. What's with seating two women next to the kitchen? Tacky.Special Features:
- The following 1430 reviews are from the KINGFISH reviews archive.
- Overlooked, under flavoredBfoodieVIPDined on 5/18/2014Worst food I have had in a while. Everything was over cooked and under flavored.
- Food was disappointingeatathomeDined on 5/14/2014Our lunch took a very long time to arrive. When it did, it was dry and some of the salad was brown. The waiter was charming and apologized for "some problems in the kitchen". We were very disappointed in our food.
- Love the black cod!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/13/2014Love the black cod that's usually on the menu. There were out of it the last time I went, which was kind of a bummer. But had the crispy salmon instead, and it was just as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodMCubedDined on 5/12/2014love this neighborhood gem! consistently good food and service.Special Features:
- Horrible Mother's Day at KingfishSharEDined on 5/11/2014Mothers Day dinner was a disaster even though we came at 5:30pm. My daughter who does not eat fish or beef ordered chicken fettucini. The waitress returned saying no chicken fettucini; they could do the noodles with a side of chicken breast. We said fine. The fettucini came (very small- sauce not stirred in- no chicken on the side) and there was a hair in it. We sent it back, asking for the menu so she could pick something else. After 10 minutes of watching our waitress wait on everyone else she finally came back to my daughter who ordered chicken marsala. We were now done eating by then. The waitress again came back and said there was no chicken marsala. We called the manager, she deducted our food cost but charged for the drinks.
- disappointed....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Not sure if they changed the price on the menu because it was Mothers day. But i thought iit was overpriced for the amount of serving and well overrated... will not go back. We already finished with our appetozer ( pork spring roll, 4 small pieces fro $9 really!!!!) when they gave us the complimentary bread and butter. We have to remind the waitress about the mojito order.Special Features:
- Disappointed.FoodieDined on 5/11/2014Extremely pricey. Not worth it. The advertised price for the brunch was misleading. Will not go back to eat in that place.
- Wonderful Mother's Day BrunchRickDNDined on 5/11/2014This was our first time here for our large (9 people) family for an event. We will definitely come again! Our server Kiara (sp) was EXCELLENT. We were pleased with all aspects of our experience. Thank you!Special Features:
- The Sound and the FuryOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/10/2014Kingfish has a great menu and we were competently served by a very good waitress, but it was an unpleasant experience having dinner there on a Saturday night. The main problem is noise--bad acoustics and very loud and drunk patrons. One table of 10 in particular was unbearable. Technically not Kingfish's fault, but be warned that a lot of big parties dine there. The food was uneven. Ahi tuna is their best dish but it was served cold. The mahi mahi special was cooked unevenly. Across the board, the vegetables were terrible. Absolutely no flavor in a New Orleans style restaurant--very odd. Would never go again for dinner. Kingfish has big restaurant aspirations without the infrastructure to support them.Special Features:
- Too NoiseyMarthastewardessDined on 5/10/2014Not a relaxing meal. Felt rushed. Several large parties. Appetiser and entree came at same time.
- San Mateo GemDatenightVIPDined on 5/7/2014Had their Ahi entrée and Warm Cabbage Salad. Loved both!! Great Atmosphere.Special Features:
- gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/4/2014what happened? the quality of food has become mediocre. their jambalaya isn't what it used to be. however, the oysters were good.
- Fantastic food and servicelisalisaDined on 5/3/2014We have been here many times and it's always great. Recently we went on a Saturday night with lots of big groups and we still got our food in a very timely manner. The wait staff is always courteous and attentive. The food is great. We recommend the tuna tartare in particular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food continuesBigEdDined on 4/27/2014I mam a regular here and have never been disappointed about the food. Fish and salads are always fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SORRY, DISAPPOINTINGATHENADined on 4/24/2014WE WERE DISAPPOINTED MARTINI WAS VERY GOOD - MY WEDGE SALAD WAS EXCELLENT - COCONUT SHRIMP WAS OVERCOOKED BURNT COULD HARDLY TASTE THE SHRIMP. MY SKIRT STEAK WAS NOT WARM DID NOT SEEM COOKED AND TOM'S MAI MAI SEEMED LIKE IT WAS MICRO WAVED INSTEAD OF GRILLED ... WE WERE VERY DISAPPOINTED AND DO NOT FEEL THAT WE WOULD COME BACK... SORRY AS I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO GOING TO THE KING FISH AS FRIENDS GAVE US TWO GIFT CERTIFICATE WHO REALLY LOVED IT....
- several good experiences 1 very badsavsavDined on 4/20/2014Easter brunch was horrible. Food was bad and service was non existence. Will not be going back. 3 other times the food has been very good but on a special occasion it should have been even better.Special Features:
- Just okmwhiteVIPDined on 4/17/2014I was somewhat disappointed in the quality of this restaurant given the prices. It is not inexpensive and the quality of the dishes left something to be desired. Service was good. Would probably go back though to give it another try.Special Features:
- DisappointedDebiDined on 4/5/2014I ordered the Prime Rib and asked for an end cut. The cut was generous but way to dry. The baked potato and vegetables were very good. I really felt cheated out of a good meal.Special Features:
- The worst experience EVER !!!!!!!!!BiancaDined on 4/4/2014The service was HORRIBLE ! The waiter had an attitude. It seemed like he was put out to take our order and bothered by following through. Our drinks took so long that I thought he forgot he took our order or forgot to put our order in. When I inquired about the drinks he looked at me and said they were coming, with an attitude that expressed him wondering why we would ask such a question. When we ordered more drinks they took even longer. He was doing the job of a bus boy and a waiter. My friends liked their French Dip and steaks. My fried chicken was awful ! The collared greens were over cooked light green and yellow. The chicken was the smaller breast i have ever seen and soft and mushy and completely died out. Dessert took 20 minutes.
- Good but could have been betterCHresidentVIPDined on 4/4/2014This was our third visit to Kingfish and was the worst. Our server was disinterested at best and we waited a long time for everything except the check. This had not been our experience before and was a bit of a surprise. The food was good. They do a wonderful job with beef (prime rib and ribeye). I was not as impressed with the fried chicken. Overall, a good meal with a frustrating server. We will go back again because of our other experiences there and hope that this was just an anomaly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fairly good. PrettyDebDDined on 4/2/2014Food was fairly good. Pretty loud inside, so if that doesn't bother you, you might like the bar area there...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodChrisDined on 3/31/2014Had the daily special- Mahi Mahi. Well prepared, simple, but very tasty. Good wine list to go along with a broad selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and wrong foodAllrelativeDined on 3/30/2014Arrrived at 6.25PM, ordered soup/salad/entree at 6.40PM, soup/salad came out at 7.25PM, entrees at 7.45PM, one of 4 entrees was wrong order, plate was not even warm. Others are warm and taste just OK. Will not be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too busy!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2014Our food took over an hour to come, some of the order was wrong, the lettuce wraps were terrible. Perhaps would have been better on a night that wasn't so busy.
- NoiseSharronDined on 3/29/2014Good food and service. Noisy, unfortunately that is the way of most restaurants. Upbeat atmosphere. We are considering taking our group there for dinner in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server had some timingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/29/2014Our server had some timing issues. First he brought our salads while we were still eating our appetizers, and we had a very small table so it was a bit of a problem. We had to hurry and finish to make room for the salads. Then there was a very, very long delay for our dinners -- at least 30 minutes. After we had finished eating our waiter all but disppeared. We had to ask another waiter for the check. Overall I love Kingfish so our waiter must have been having a bad night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better this time aroundLisaBVIPDined on 3/29/2014We were looking for a kid-friendly, but adult-enjoyable restaurant near the movies and decided to give Kingfish another try. It had been a while since we'd been there. We were seated on time for our reservation and the service was prompt and cheerful - even when our daughter's hamburgers came with cheese. The food was very good - from the etoufee to the mussels to the crisp-skinned salmon. The kids were happy and parents were too. My only complaint is that the basil collins tasted very medicinal. Next time, I'll go with wine. But we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Mateo gemciciDined on 3/29/2014always yummy & fun (plus it's a great looking restaurant)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer recommendShandaDined on 3/28/2014I've been here before but on this visit the food was terrible. The waiter did a good job and was friendly and helpful, once he finally made it to the table the first time. I ordered a couple of oysters, which were good and fresh, and then my friend and I ordered calamari to share. It was by far the worst calamari I've ever had. We only ate it because we were so hungry otherwise we would have sent it back. Our favorite part was the fried chili peppers that were also on the plate and the sauce it came with. Entrees were ok, except my fish dish had some weird gingery gelatinous glop all around my rice, which was really off putting. Dessert wasn't bad, but not something I need to have again. I won't be back any time soon.
- Expensive for what you getRHusaDined on 3/27/2014$35 for a cabbage/bacon salad, a tuna appetizer and a glass of wine. The tuna appetizer in particular was not great. The tuna was not cut into small enough pieces and was basically just mixed with some form of mayo making it too rich and sticky. Disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing the romanceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014Was looking for a quiet romantic place to dine with my wife to get away from our kids. The service and food were excellent but it was a lot louder than I had wanted. The group next to is had children and there was a crying baby down stairs. Overall it's a great place, very alive but not for a quiet romantic eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service SwampedgoldbloodedgrillerVIPDined on 3/16/2014Good food, friendly service, nice atmosphere but excruciating long gaps in service. At least 30 min. between appetizer plates being cleared and arrival of our entrees. Drinks ordered from the bar take a long time. A guest at my table received his dessert, beignets, after everyone else at the table had already finished eating their desserts and coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/15/2014If you are in a hurry and there is not much else open, then it might be an option. Table height is good for a bar but not to eat at. Food is fair.