1 East 15th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tocquevillerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2126471515
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Sunday Dinner 5pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Marco A Moreira
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Extravagant cocktails, special celebrations, wine pairing tasting dinners 8 - 800.
A word from Tocqueville
Since 2000 Tocqueville Restaurant has been serving innovative American cuisine to its loyal clientele. You will find the most seasonal local ingredients scattered throughout the menu during every season. The hospitable staff and comfortable décor make this an excellent spot for special occasions and neighborhood dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Tocqueville - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Tocqueville reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (81)special occasion (78)romantic (74)neighborhood gem (49)notable wine list (46)great for lunch (26)good for groups (10)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Perfect anniversary dinner...LuvTopFoodDined on 7/1/2014We celebrate anniversaries at top restaurants; from Daniel to Le Bernardin, to Bouley... We decided this year to try Tocqueville and were rewarded with a perfect dinner... The food, ambience, and service could not be better...Special Features:
- lovely eveningKenwuVIPDined on 6/28/2014As usual we enjoyed the dinner very much. However the service was not as attentive as when Daniel (Dino) was present.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food nasty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014It'striking how a $450 meal at a beautiful restaurant with good food and wine can be ruined by one angry man supervising and terrorizing the dining room staff and customers.We were warmly greeted and welcomed by lovely people, immediately impressed with the beautiful facility. Then an arrogant and imperious dining room manager arrives scowling at us. We felt like he just hated us until we saw how he treated the other tables and the other staff.Every other person was wonderful the food was delicious albeit a bit pricey but this one man spoiled it for us.
- Great foodtabechanDined on 6/28/2014Delicious French in NYC - hake entree was comparable to top Michelin-star restaurants. Well presented, executed perfectly with a crispy skin, delicious cauliflower and other roasted vegetables. Sauce paired well (if not a bit too sweet). Unfortunately the amuse bouche (radish 2 ways) was very uninspiring. The bread basket was also very average (although you do get to choose among sourdough, brioche, and foccaccia). One negative is the service of one waiter. I asked what the trio of seasonal sorbet would be in order to decide whether I wanted the chocolate dessert or the sorbet as my choice for prix fixe and he said very rudely that I wouldn't be able to choose anyway, and refused to tell me the flavors or even bother inquiring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifique!TimmyeatsDined on 6/27/2014Prix Fixe is the way to go honestly for lunch. The options are all great, me and my friend ordered opposite things to taste them all. It was great, and the wine pairing wasgreat. Great wines at a crazy affordable price. Great service and even better food. It started with the maître d being very kind and accommodating until the last second when we were escorted to the bathroom. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyNYCdiner10010VIPDined on 6/26/2014This was my first time at the restaurant, and couldn't have been more impressed. The food was sublime, and the service first rate. The sommelier helped us find a bottle of wine at the low end of their list that was excellent. The low noise level was very conducive to conversation. I was surprised it wasn't busier, even for a weekday evening, as it is far better than many of the more famous restaurants in the neighborhood. It's not inexpensive, but I've spent more for inferior dining. Look forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itDanFVIPDined on 6/23/2014From the greeting at the door to the personalized attention, the whole evening was perfect. Can't wait to try Marco's other places. DFSpecial Features:
- Nostalgia refreshed.LagrandeboucheDined on 6/21/2014Not only was the cuisine inventive (without being pretentious) and always à point, the sommelier did a great job picking just the right wine for every course. The only minus was a too pronounced tendency towards sweetness in various courses which reminded me of classic French restaurants in the 70s. Nevertheless, all produce was of highest quality and every course a pleasant surprise. The subtlety of the cuisine, rarely found in NYC, has European standard, though on the conservative side. Outstanding dishes were lamb loin with green peas and morels, paired with a light, yet spicy 1997 Médoc; and sea urchin pasta with sea lettuces paired with a superb Les Crêtes Valle d’Aosta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid performanceLivingston314VIPDined on 6/20/2014Service was good, food good, ambience good. Solid performance- not a show stopper.Special Features:
- Classic old-school diningdrfloyd21Dined on 6/20/2014One of the negative reviews stated "it was like dining in a hotel" - perfect! This is great, classic old-school dining in a beautiful space. The food was fresh and delicious - very good. Fully price but not out of wack w/ nicer restaurants in Manhattan - and we had great service and a lovely evening - relaxing and civilized. There is a great bar that never seems to be crowed - allow a few mins to catch a cocktail there first. I wish there were more restaurants in NYC like this...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FindRenieDined on 6/19/2014Six of us had a late lunch on a Thursday afternoon. Since it was our first time, the waiter was happy to explain each menu item. The food was amazing! The service outstanding! From appetizers to desert, there were no complaints. The diver scallops and foie gras was my favorite. Can't wait for a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TocqevilleTonyVIPDined on 6/14/2014off the beaten path, but worth the trip. Some unusually dishes, parmesan grits with smoked bacon for example. Very good modern french food in a beautiful setting. Our table for 2 was too close to the next table and I was directly facing the people, seemed awkward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicely Prepared But...GeofferwokVIPDined on 6/14/2014Uninteresting and unimaginative cuisine. Our evening also suffered from a dour, humourless waiter in a stuffy setting reminiscent of an upscale hotel dining room. All in all: Not worth it.
- Delish!LucyDined on 6/13/2014Every bite was perfect- from the appetizer to dessert! The service was warm and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/11/2014One of the most comfortable restaurants I've ever been to. The service is gracious and attentive. The sommelier is knowledgeable and passionate. And of course, the food is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food!MrsJVIPDined on 6/11/2014Their menu is one of the nicest, most interesting, delicious-sounding menus that I'm already looking forward to going back to try more. Each dish was presented beautifully and was memorably delicious. The sauce that came w/ hamachi was so amazing. The ramp risotto had an explosion of fresh flavors. Scallops was good, and the Guinea hen w/ foie gras sausage was fantastic! The room is not big but has high ceilings with a classic, elegant feel if it slightly lacks the wow-factor. The staff provides very friendly and impeccable service. We were surprised that it wasn't full. Their food is not cheap but not too pricey given the obvious quality and care that goes into it. Fabulous dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegantAureoleBarVIPDined on 6/7/2014I was looking for a romantic, gourmet experience to share with my visiting friend and I definitely found it. The cost was not for the faint-of-heart but we got the 7-course tasting menu with wine parings so the budget was a deciding factor (there are more economical offerings). All the courses were excellent but I was particularly enamoured with the sea urchin carbonara and the day-boat scallops with foie gras. The 2 tasting menus were different, which gave an individualized touch and more variety. We had a lovely corner table which is my favorite for a romantic date, and the service was spot-on perfect. The decor is elegant and if you go to Tocqueville you will want to err on the side of dressy in your attire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1561 reviews are from the Tocqueville reviews archive.
- Excellent dinningKenwuVIPDined on 5/31/2014Love the refined ambience and attentive staff. Daniel (Dino) is very knowledgeable. It’s definitely a place to go for a special occasion where everything is perfect and memorable.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceBarbaraDined on 5/29/2014We recently had lunch there and I would highly recommend. The prix fix lunch was delicious and the chocolate bon bon dessert was reason enough to come back again! The service was impeccable and the waiter and bus boy were always there when you needed them. We enjoy coming to New York for the day and treating ourselves to a nice lunch and we will certainly be coming back again.Special Features:
- excellent for business lunchmartyDined on 5/29/2014Perfect locale for upscale business lunch, in an area (lower Fifth) that doesn't have too many such places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just keeps getting betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/28/2014This is our second time here and the service and food just seem to be getting better and better. I have no idea why they don't have a Michelin star. They surpass all expectations and really wow you. Their gently smoked duck main was outrageous and their foie gras starter is to die for, very inventive with the rhubarb jell and pistachios. Unbelievable experience, if you haven't been you seriously need to goSpecial Features:
- Creative Ingredients & texturescmerrell37VIPDined on 5/27/2014The service was impeccable, and the meal was perfectly times. The crispy skin on the Guinea Hen was divine and the sausage was so rich and flavorful. The aged cheddar in my salad was heavenly, and my boyfriend's risotto had the best texture!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance and comfortengprofVIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a restaurant for people who want to dine (not just eat) and want to do so in a refined and quiet atmosphere. It doesn't rock (thank God!). The food is excellent -- French and prepared with care -- and the service is friendly, the atmosphere dignified and pleasant. The wine list is superb (though one has to look hard for bargains). Best octopus appetizer I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, Service, AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/24/2014It has 'em all. One of my two favorite lunch places in NYC.
- Food and service was spectacularDanaNVIPDined on 5/23/2014The Black Cod was simply delicious and prepared in a way I have never experienced and presented beautifully...and not to forget that our favorite Chardonnay was offered on their wine list as well! Also, the service and staff was incredibly efficient and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tocqueville off Union SquareLaureenDined on 5/23/2014Arrived late in a torrential rain storm to a welcoming hostess who handed us a towel as we entered and took our damp jackets. The restaurant exceeded our expectations. Small, elegant and quiet with very good food and superb service. We will return.Special Features:
- perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Met here with friends we hadn't seen in years and it was perfect. Impeccable service, excellent dishes and sophisticated atmosphere. Would go back in a heartbeat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre fixe lunch menu!BethDined on 5/23/2014had a great lunch with wine pairings for a wonderful meal! very fresh and service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencequeenmargotDined on 5/22/2014We celebrated our daughter's college graduation at this restaurant and had a wonderful experience! Pretty much everything was perfect: the food, the service, the atmosphere, the attention from the chef. It's a great place for a special occasion. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined Gemlkn4foodVIPDined on 5/19/2014Dropped in for lunch on a Monday. We took advantage of the 3 course fixed price option. The room is beautiful and tastefully opulent. The food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect spot for anniversary dinnerFraser42Dined on 5/17/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here and I am very happy we did. The food was excellent. We tried the tasting menu and were excited to see that the chef gave each if us something different so we could sample almost all of the menu. The service was attentive but not overbaring. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Gem of a RestaurantTravelguy1Dined on 5/17/2014Tocqueville just keeps getting better and better. The food is delicious and the menu changes frequently. Also they have an amazing wine list and give the best recommendations of what wine you should be drinking with each course. I truly love this place and if you are looking for an amazing lucnh or dinner you should treat yourself and go to Tocqueville.Special Features:
- PookieVIPDined on 5/17/2014Lovely dining room, wonderful service. Food was well prepared and served at a perfect pace. Delicate flavors and beautifully preared. My lamb portion was a bit modest, perhaps 4 ounces of lamb tenderlion. Delicous, but too modest in my view. Wife had a lovely duck breast, which was quite large in portion, actually. Great wine list and sommelier nailed what we asked for. Great spot for romance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/17/2014The service and ambiance is quite good. The wine list is good. The food was somewhat mediocre for this level of restaurant.
- MattVIPDined on 5/16/2014Fantastic 7 course tasting meal with wine pairings! Nice birthday treat. Great service and sommelier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RalphDined on 5/16/2014We were disappointed with our meal at Tocqueville. The food was adequate though far from great, service was attentive to the point of obsequiousness, and prices were out of line with what we got. The wine list was extensive and with few exceptions was well into three figures for a bottle. Tocqueville is one more example of pretension overwhelming quality.
- Not good.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2014I didn't like this restaurant at all. It was really quiet. The server was fine, but he was not friendly - just a bit wooden. The food is small-portioned - like tasting menu portion. The food was not memorable.
- Wonderful experience!NYCdineDined on 5/11/2014Delicious food, excellent service, beautiful ambiance. Very glad I chose this restaurant for Mother's Day brunch. The dessert selection and quality were especially notable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Birthday HitaimmarVIPDined on 5/10/2014I always look for a restaurant that my friend and I have never been to for our birthdays. I was looking through Open Table and spotted Tocqueville. I debated between Tocqueville and one other restaurant. Tocqueville won out and I'm glad it did. The food was incredible and the service was above and beyond. I would highly recommend Tocqueville to anyone who wanted to celebrate a special occasion or just to have a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always spectacularRosebyanyotherVIPDined on 5/10/2014Absolutely the best for a great meal, impeccable service, and a welcoming environment. There was an error on the bill but it was corrected after I pointed it ouot.Special Features: