1521 Hyde St.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cocottesf.com/
- Phone: 4152924415x
- Hours of Operation:
tuesday to sunday 5:30pm - 10.00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, French
- Executive Chef: Mikael Audry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Cocotte is also specialized in catering business. Call us to organize your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you are planning a Rehearsal dinner, a Wedding reception, a birthday party as well as a Corporate Event or a friendly get together for the coming Holidays, Cocotte is happy to welcome you in its warm and cozy main room where we can accommodate up to 50 seated guests.
- Private Party Contact: aurore martinez 8776857490
- Entertainment: Live music for French and American Holidays.
- Special Events: Cocotte, charming and cozy restaurant, is the perfect place to celebrate a special event. Please visit the "Private Dining" page for more details.
A word from Cocotte
Cocotte restaurant merges the timeless essence of the traditional French rotisserie with avant-garde flavors inspired by Califonia’s farm-fresh palate.
Cocotte restaurant merges the timeless essence of the traditional French rotisserie with avant-garde flavors inspired by Califonia’s farm-fresh palate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cocotte reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (98)fit for foodies (76)romantic (59)special occasion (36)notable wine list (29)hot spot (13)late-night find (10)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Nice FindMartinezDined on 2/22/2014The food was just ok. The ambience was outstanding. The place has a warm and comfortable feeling about it. It could have been on the romantic side but the tables are way to close and the noise was just to much to check the "Romantic" box. Great potential. I would defenitly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really enjoyed how engagedCristinaDined on 2/19/2014I really enjoyed how engaged the staff was. I also appreciate that when asked recommendations on wine they didn't say the most expensive bottle on the list. They were super helpful and helped make my birthday celebration special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delicious mushroomLolaDined on 2/6/2014Absolutely delicious mushroom soup and delicious half chicken-so moist and flavorful! Wait person was excellent but bus person kept trying to clear our dinner plates everytime we'd put our silverware down-got to be annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2014Cocotte was perfect in every way: personal service, great food and lovely atmosphere. Truly a warm, cozy experience rarely found in SF! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Satisfied!BenitaDined on 1/31/2014Finally decided to visit this fairly new cafe in the neighborhood during "Dine About Town" the last weekend in January. The Osso Bucco was delicious, the meat fell off the bone as it should and the banana creme brûlée was the perfect ending. I can't wait to go back for Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise on Saturday eveninggunner1310Dined on 1/25/2014This past saturday evening, the lady & I were in the city and were looking to take advantage of the dine about town deal. The only menu that honored the deal on Saturday night was this one, and we are definitely glad we came. Our waiter was very cordial and had a great attitude, and the food was amazing. The pre-fix menu had 3 courses: we first started with the chicken liver, which was very flavorful and served with a crunchy bread. Then came the duck confit, which came in a very large portion enough to share. Lastly, the banana creme brûlée was unique and had a nice refreshing taste to it as well. The waiter also recommended a nice German beer for me, and allowed my girlfriend to order a la carte off the menu. Twas a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food, fabulousPattiDined on 1/25/2014Incredible food, fabulous service, stylish decor. If I had only been able to hear and be heard across our table for two, it would have been a perfect 5 out of 5 for all categories. It is incredibly noisy and that is not pleasant.Special Features:
- Dine about townJen1020Dined on 1/24/2014Tried this restaurant for dine about town and noticed the menu was different when we showed up. I was hoping to try the short ribs, but it was no longer on the dine about town menu. Overall the food was ok, typical for what it was. There was a nice romantic feeling ambiance, but it was actually quite loud and lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food but terrible serviceKRoseSFDined on 1/24/2014The temptation of the regular dinner menu was too much to pass up during dine around town. I was blown away by the food prep, presentation and overall quality. However, I would never come back as we were practically rushed out the door. I understand that it was a weekend night and during down about town season, but there were several other two tops that were open! At one point, our waiter literally stood over us and checked his watch.
- CocotteDAT2012Dined on 1/18/2014The restaurant did not have a lot of floor space, so I felt very confined, almost claustrophobic tucked into my seating area. We asked if we could eat outside, since there were tables and chairs placed at the front of the restaurant outside, but we were informed that "we do not do that". The chicken liver parfait was extremely savory, I couldn't get enough of it. When we ran out of the toast that it came with, we started using the bread at our table to finish it off. Unfortunately, that filled me up so much that I couldn't finish off the tasty banana creme brulee at the end of the meal. In terms of the main course, it was a perfect balance of protein, carbs, and veggies (I ordered the Pork Shank with creamy polenta and brocolini).Special Features:
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/16/2014Waitress was rude and came by our table to rush us through dinner every 5 minutes, ruined the whole meal with her bad attitude. I would like to say it was just her but all the staff there was terrible. Go somewhere else, will never return!
- First time at CocotteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/11/2014First time at Cocotte and thought it was charming! The food was delicious and didn't take forever to arrive even though the restaurant was busy. The atmosphere was cozy and intimate - was perfect for date night with my boyfriend, but also would be great for dining with friends or family. The restaurant is not very large so I would not recommend it for large parties. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 1/11/2014I love the chicken and the French wines by the glassSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First ClassdineoftenDined on 12/31/2013This was my second NY Eve at Cocotte. We were a little late, but the owner handled it well. The food was excellent. The waiter was a little harried and as a rsult a little abrupt perhaps, but warmed up as the evening evolved. I would consider making Cocotte a NY Eve tradition.Special Features:
- Food vs ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2013We came for dinner for on NYE. the food was great but service very bad. I had my mom visint from out of town and i wanted to have a nice dinner but now everytime she talks about it she just says..."we went to dinner" and that's it. which means was not the best experience for her. i dont think i will be coming back, there are plenty of other restaurants in the city where i can get great food and great service "combine"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Food and Friendly ServiceLimeyLizzieDined on 12/28/2013It was very crowded but our reservation was honoured quickly and we were seated at a lovely table in a nook with a curtain, so it was very romantic. We ordered the Moules Marinieres which were delicious, then I had half a chicken and my partner had the scallops on basil foam and we both were delighted, the chicken was so tender and flavourful as was the cauliflower side dish , we also ordered the fries which could have been a bit crisper but were very tasty. We had no room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedElderW21Dined on 12/25/2013We went on Christmas Day for dinner. We got there on time for our reservation and they told us multiple things on their pris fixe menu were out. In some cases they were out of two things when there were only three to choose from. Very disappointed. The food itself that we were able to choose from was very blah. Nice atmosphere...I just wish the food could match it. Would not come back.
- Chrsitmas Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/25/2013was the bomb! An unbelievably good see bass and a delicious lamb shank followed apps of crab with avocado and a potato-goat cheese beignet. If the 'regular' menu is anywhere near as good as this prix fixe holiday special - and I have every reason to believe it is - Cocotte is a total winner. Highly recommended. We cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect experienceHelkatDined on 12/24/2013My husband and I were celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary on Christmas Eve. Cocotte was ideal. The tiny restaurant has a very romantic ambience, like a Parisian place. The menu for Christmas Eve was prix fixe, so I can't address the usual menu, but our food was delicious. My husband had duck rillettes, Beef Wellington, and banana creme fraiche. I had crab appetizer, lamb shanks, and the banana creme fraiche. I loved my meal; my husband seemed equally satisfied. A terrific discovery in the neighborhoodl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CocotteFraboDined on 12/24/2013Nice ambience. Very small. Slightly overpriced with a hectic service...
- Love Cocotte!2HartsDined on 12/21/2013Great small neighborhood place, it's a little vacation every time. Very friendly and a lot of fun. Amazing that quality and variety of French favorites (and some surprises) comes from such a tiny kitchen. Been here 4 times and never disappointed - it's consistently and dependably pleasing. Parking on Russian Hill is always difficult, so if you don't live in the neighborhood take a taxi. If you do live in the neighborhood - check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great rotisserie chicken andFoodieVIPDined on 12/20/2013Great rotisserie chicken and sides. We will be backI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerTEENIEKDined on 12/11/2013Cozy atmosphere with excellent service and food. While everyone could order their own, the accompanying side dishes are quite share-able, which is a great way to try a little of everything. Also -- save room for dessert, the apple tarte tatin and banana creme brûlée are 5-star worthy and particularly délicieux! À bientôt, Cocotte!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!newyorkerDined on 12/10/2013A wonderful, warm and intimate atmosphere. We started with mussels which were fantastic. We all had the signature roast chicken that's served in Le Crueset casserole dishes further emphasizing the homey, kind of french feeling. It comes with three sauces and was wonderful. Also, the potato and goat cheese gratin! The service perfectly complements the food. Our waiter was so terrific. It was my birthday and at the end of the meal he brought out a special desert with a candle for me. No one had ordered it and when I asked he said that he figured out that it was my birthday. That has Never happened to me in a restaurant, a desert delivered, unbidden. So sweet and so thoughtful. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/6/2013Enjoyed food here thoroughly. However, despite a 7pm reservation and a half empty restaurant we were made to wait over 10 minutes for a table, and 3 parties who arrived after us were seated before us. Also, the check came with the dessert, so it seemed as though we were being rushed out.Special Features:
- Spur of the Moment Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/2/2013My friend and I decided to try Cocotte for her birthday on the spur of the moment on a Monday. We got their early and it was empty, but within 15 minutes the entire place was filled. The staff were friendly and helpful in choosing wine. We got a bottle of wine and shared the cheese platter, which made us pretty full before our main courses showed up. I got the Beef Wellington with bone marrow (awesome) and my friend go the New York Steak and gratin potatoes (the steak was a little chewy and definitely on the medium-side which wasn't how it was asked for). The goat cheese gratin potatoes were really yummy and came straight out of the oven/broiler. Overall a really solid experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little placechrisshawyeahDined on 12/1/2013The food is good, average price, and it's got a nice feel. I like how the portions we're normal size. I'd eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful cuisinechambersDined on 11/30/2013Came here with 4 friends & we loved it! The menu is savory & offers a nice range of seafood, poultry & beef. Lobster salad beef Wellington & rotisserie chicken are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Night OutronniemanVIPDined on 11/30/2013The restaurant was the perfect place to spend our romantic night out. The room, the food, and the service were each well-thought out and presented. There was much attention to detail and the food was delicious. Our waiter was very attentive , pleasant, and timely. We were not made to feel rushed, nor did we wait for anything. The evening took on a wonderful sense of comfort and grace. The noise level was moderate, lively yet comfortable. The wine list was decent, although I expected there to be a vaster list of choices to select from. We would definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulouswinedineDined on 11/29/2013Excellent country french style cuisine, with stellar service. lapin starter was amazing and cocotte and coq au vin entrees were both excellent. French wine list and advice for pairings was right on. Comfortable ambience in this neighborhood storefront location. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but inconsistent.BrentonioVIPDined on 11/29/2013I've had two meals here in the last month. The first was good enough that I was compelled to come back and order (mostly) the same dishes. The experience was inconsistent. While our food was tasty and balanced during our first experience, during our second visit all of the same dishes had very different flavors (sweet) and in one case, completely lacked flavor. Likely wouldn't return to give a third chance...
- Thanks giving prix fixeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/28/20133 courses. Underwhelming. Quality of business class airline food.
- We went there for their specialBobPDined on 11/28/2013We went there for their special Thanksgiving dinner. The food was very good with great service. They were fully booked so the staff were very busy. After we finished I asked if they could call a cab for us, but I they did not seem to have the time to do it. We managed to find one on our own. I would like to try them again when it is not a holiday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksfiving prix fixe unfair evalPersnicketyDined on 11/28/2013It was great when it was Hyde Street Bistrot, it promises to be good with the name change. A goof Thanksgiving dinner for a reasonable price is hard to pull off and so it turned out in fact --somewhat disappointing. But we shall return to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary next month, because I am sure it will be excellent on a regular evening. In any case, they served an appetizer of Kale and Goat Souffle, and good Pumpkin Tart. Those were different and good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksgivingSsvsDined on 11/28/2013Great low key thanksgiving thought the beef Wellington was probably better than the turkey. Great desserts.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving Tasting Menu AwfulsfloveVIPDined on 11/28/2013Food was not impressive. Neither was the service. If anything, it's a cute spot for a dinner for 2. But even then, I would not recommend this restaurant. The food was just not good. I don't mind paying for good quality food, but this was just a complete waste. I felt as though I just flushed money down the drain and left with an awful taste in my mouth. Literally. Souffle was decent, nothing extraordinary. Beef wellington was soggy and flavorless. The cabbage slaw was mush and the potato gratin was just greasy. The entree was a DISASTOR. No flavor, no texture. Pumpkin pie was.. I had one bite, and could not eat the rest. The lavendar infused honey smeared on the plate was the best part of dessert.
- Great, great chicen. hoppedkwellerDined on 11/23/2013Great, great chicen. hopped liver/salad starter was a meal in tself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French bistroAngeloVIPDined on 11/16/2013A new favorite restaurant for me. Traditional French bistro fare, but with the chef's individual touches shining through. The preparation of each dish was outstanding. Very lively and convivial place, but not trendy. I look forward to many future meals.Special Features:
- Always fantastic!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/10/2013One of my favorite restaurants in the city Incredible food, wonderful chefs and staff, wonderful service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small RestaurantRichardDined on 11/9/2013Great French Restaurant, good food, nice atmosphere, desirable location, difficult parking We enjoy the restaurant very much and will go back for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.