1521 Hyde St.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cocottesf.com/
- Phone: 4152924415x
- Hours of Operation:
tuesday to sunday 5:30pm - 10.00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, French
- Executive Chef: Mikael Audry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Cocotte is also specialized in catering business. Call us to organize your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you are planning a Rehearsal dinner, a Wedding reception, a birthday party as well as a Corporate Event or a friendly get together for the coming Holidays, Cocotte is happy to welcome you in its warm and cozy main room where we can accommodate up to 50 seated guests.
- Private Party Contact: aurore martinez 8776857490
- Entertainment: Live music for French and American Holidays.
- Special Events: Cocotte, charming and cozy restaurant, is the perfect place to celebrate a special event. Please visit the "Private Dining" page for more details.
A word from Cocotte
Cocotte restaurant merges the timeless essence of the traditional French rotisserie with avant-garde flavors inspired by Califonia’s farm-fresh palate.
Cocotte restaurant merges the timeless essence of the traditional French rotisserie with avant-garde flavors inspired by Califonia’s farm-fresh palate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cocotte reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (96)fit for foodies (75)romantic (58)special occasion (37)notable wine list (29)hot spot (13)late-night find (10)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Definitely try this great place!MamaGDined on 6/24/2014Everything there is delicious - the chopped liver appetizer, the roast chicken, the salmon - I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you order. They have a very nice wine list, also. The service is great; they are so accommodating, and make well behaved children feel very welcome.Special Features:
- French country food experienceCestMagnifiqueDined on 6/21/2014Excellent food. Excellently prepared food and tasting food. However due to the popularity of this intimate French country bistro, the service can lag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PiperdogDined on 6/20/2014We love this restaurant and have been here several times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeartbreakerwandererDined on 6/19/2014This place is a heartbreaker. So close to a 'go-to' spot but not there. The ambience (smart venue, limited light with candles, gypsy kings grooving in the background) had my wife boogieing throughout the meal. I had to coq au vin, which was delightful but the cut was weird with lots of bones. My wife had beef wellington which was a disappointment. The meat was tough (not tenderloin) with minimal flavor and duxelles in the wrap. Portions were small but adequate. The wait staff was friendly. The menu is small which fits the size of the restaurant. My suggestion is to keep the coq au vin but adjust the cut of the chicken in a more conventional style, drop the beef wellington in favor of something like steak dianne. Focus on flavor and sauces.Special Features:
- NanettenanetteDined on 6/15/2014I was really disappointed with cocotte. We had friends in town so wanted a place to show off how good the food is in the City. Instead we got uncooked/greasy beignets twice - took it back once and ate the bad beignets anyway , rabbit tagliatelle that had no rabbit and chocolate molten cake that wasn't molten and tasted like the fridge. Our friends peach dessert also tasted old. When we got the bill, they didn't take off the uncooked beignets and charged us an extra dessert. Service was forgetful as well. Maybe not a good place for Sunday night.
- Too crowded, too noisyDavidDined on 6/15/2014Initial greeting was fine, tables too close together, waiter did not do an adequate job of explaining the menu, noise level was very high, food was OK but not superb.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Dining at Cocotte feels like taking a trip to a small neighborhood bistro in Paris. We chose from the fixed price menu for the early June Dine About Town event. The appetizers, entrees and desserts were all very good although my dining companion thought the pork shank was a bit too salty. I like that the menu is not simply the classic and predictable bistro fare, but more imaginative and varied. The service overall was very good except we waited a very long time between the appetizer and the entree which was not a problem for us, but could be for someone else. I plan on dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost worth a tripUCgradVIPDined on 6/14/2014Well, it is noisy, there is no doubt about it, with a lot of the noise coming from the open kitchen. And for some reason, they play loud music with a beat, too. And the service is perfunctory. And the wine is pricey. But, still the food is good, and the prices are reasonable. The lobster salad was excellent, as was the cauliflower soup, but the rabbit pappardelle did not reach the same standard. Despite its drawbacks, I still might go back.Special Features:
- Loved it!JeniCraigDined on 6/14/2014We went during Dine About Town. They know how to do DAT right! They had great selections on the Prix Fixe menu. Unlike some places that just don't get the concept and put their cheapest items on there, which is often not very good. The idea is to make you want to return. Cocotte did it right. The food was great, the atmosphere was cozy and the service was excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreService1stVIPDined on 6/13/2014We live in the area and thought we'd give the restaurant a try with the Dine About Town. The host was super nice and friendly but our waiter was also the bartender and you could tell that he wanted to push the wine and catered to the bar more than the sit down customers. The food also wasn't spectacular. The clams were good but the duck confit was very dry. The banana creme brûlée was not bad but is served cold, yet took 15 min to be served. My husband had the salmon which was plain, nothing special and his pork belly appetizer was weird. He got the apple tart which was extremely sweet who drenched in syrup. It was super loud and noisy in the small restaurant, you have to yell. We both agree that we won't be coming back here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2014The staff was very nice and attentive but the noise level was so bad we had trouble having a conversation. The food was mediocre and the prices steep for what we got.
- DeliciousSFfoodDined on 6/11/2014I was here with a friend from out of town, and we came for Dine about Town. The options were amazing, and the food was divine. It was well prepared and presented. The service was attentive without being intrusive. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Excellent foodSfofoodieDined on 6/8/2014The host was very courteous and attentive, the server just took the drink order and food order, he came back with the drinks forgot to bring ice so I had to asked the busser to get it for me and more water then the server never came back to our table to check how we were doing, dessert came the server brought the silverware and at the end I asked for change and He said they did not have any change. Bad service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocotte good nut noisyDukeofDiningDined on 6/5/2014We enjoyed this neighborhood find. The server was great but overwhelmed by the number of patrons he had to serve. Food was good but the duck tasted like it was previously cooked then warmed up before it was presented. The unfortunate aspect was the noise level was close to unbearable. Maybe that's the price of success. Might ditch the rock music and use Edith Piaf, Michelle Legrand, Chevalier, Montand, et.al.Special Features:
- So disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014I came after I've been waiting all week to eat their beef Wellington. I had to ask for water and bread when everyone else got theirs automatically. I was surprising my girlfriend with this meal and just pointed out to the waiter that I wanted and I told him "I'm ordering for her tonight that's why we only have one menu". He smiled and told us what we order. ( no surprise beef Wellington for her). We had the duck platter 10 out of 10. Lobster salat 1-10 (ice cold) They forgot my beef, didnt tell btw reheated my sides in the microwave, finally 15 min later I got my beef and NO MUSHROOMS, beef Wellington is meat and mushrooms. So I gave up on this placeSpecial Features:
- Perfect date nightjyl29Dined on 6/4/2014Arguably one of the best picks available for Dining Around Town (i.e. restaurant week) - everything from the service, to the food was 5 stars!Special Features:
- The chicken is superbdineoftenDined on 5/31/2014The roast chicken is moist and flavorful. It is never overcooked. This restaurant is very busy. Their is a problem with too many selfish people lingering and chatting away while those with reservations wait to be seated. To Cocotte's credit, they do not rush diners out, nor should they. I hope that a bit of situational awareness can set in and diners will finish and leave. Let's have a little more lass, shall we?Special Features:
- Good food but Slow serviceKitchenPatrolVIPDined on 5/27/2014The food was great, but the service left something to be desired. The servers only pay attention to your table if you order at least two bottles of wine. It took close to 30 minutes to get anyone's attention to get the check while the only thing on our table was water. They never offered to grab us another glass of wine or even bring us a dessert menu. I would have stayed and ordered more food/drinks because the food was great, but I was worried that our dinner would have taken us over 3 hours if we asked for anything more. Really disappointed in the restaurant especially because I live so close to it and would have come back for seconds. I sadly don't think I will go back there :(Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/25/2014Nice little neighborhood spot, good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!dmwilsonDined on 5/24/2014Food was crazy good. Service was fantastic. Only downside is it's a Russian Hill restaurant, so it's a bit on the small side.Special Features:
- Great date restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Great to split a half-chicken and some sides. A bit busy for the staff, waited a bit longer for the check afterwards. Great food and great prices. I'll be coming back here again.Special Features:
- The following 328 reviews are from the Cocotte reviews archive.
- Love this neighborhood spotmeganrehmVIPDined on 5/16/2014We live close by and love this restaurant for a quick and easy date night. Its small but cozy. It can get a little cramped but a good atmosphere. The roast chicken is always delicious and they have wonderful sides (cocottes). We've also tried the pork belly entree which was delicious and the butcher's cut steak. The service is friendly and overall a very great dining experience.Special Features:
- Cool placeMichDined on 5/13/2014We really enjoy this restaurant and the waiter was really nice. He was speaking french and very kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gemMikeDined on 5/10/2014Such a romantic date spot with a great menu, authentic (native French) ambiance, and intelligent wine list. It's worth noting that it does get crowded on the weekend and so a reservation is recommended. Also, despite the table before us lingering later than expected, the hostess made up for the (short) wait with two glass of Kir Royale gratis! Great neighborhood bistro for a romantic date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional FrenchHappy2Dined on 5/3/2014Good French fair, complimentary wine list. Enjoyed a change from CA choices of wine. Nice spot in the neighbourhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!yummygalDined on 5/2/2014We ordered the butcher's cut and filet w/ marrow. Looking forward to coming back and trying their roasted chicken! The sides were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EatsCuzicanDined on 5/2/2014First time at Cocotte. The food was good the service was good. It's a place that will become one of our go to restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerVIPDined on 4/29/2014Newer, more interesting take on French than Chapeau or Fringale, which I find rather dated and worse, surprisingly non-seasonal.Special Features:
- Small Restaurant with Good EatsGirlSaysDoDined on 4/26/2014Took the bf for anniversary dinner- I read reviews that were favorable, and the menu sounded tasty. The food was really good.. We started with the duck appetizer; duck prepared in 3 different ways with bread/muffin- Great appetizer to start with. I got the beef wellington and asked for medium, but it looked more rare.. I can't eat it when it's that red, so I asked if they could cook it longer. The waiter took it back and brought back a whole new dish, cooked perfectly! I felt bad they tossed the old one.. but that was great service- very impressed. My boyfriend ordered the rabbit fettuccine and loved it. -seasoned well and very delicious. Dessert: rhubarb & strawberry crumble- tasty! Overall great & would come back. Note: Wine overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well done all arounddineoftenDined on 4/25/2014roast chicken and brussel sprouts were superb. the chicken liver pate was a little too sweet, but otherwise very good.
- Comfy Weeknight HomeOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/22/2014Yummy chicken with sides that do not disappoint. I never eat the skin...until now. Great service and a solid wine selection including by the glass in a comfortable setting that will have you coming back for moreSpecial Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014My girlfriend and I came in from San Diego for the weekend and this place was highly recommended. The chicken was absolutely amazing, it is a must order! The potatoes gratin was very good too, as was the wine. Overall a very enjoyable experience; this place is pretty small so make a reservation!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary worthyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014I took my girlfriend here for our first date and it was a wonderful romantic dinner. I surprised her when we returned and the staff seated us at the same table a year prior. Even with a loud talking party next to us the waiter was extra attentive and the food was as exquisite as the first time we were there. I look forward to returning again.Special Features:
- Delicious Dinner!dineoutDined on 4/19/2014I took my husband to Cocotte for his birthday over the weekend. Everything we ate was outstanding! We split the smoked trout appetizer as well as the sea bass and chicken. The flavors were all unique and the preparation was not over done. The only down fall was there was a party of 8 while we were there, and because of the size of the restaurant, the noise level was pretty high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great valueMarilynnDined on 4/11/2014Although I knock off points for the place being packed and loud, this place is really a great neighborhood bistro. The Cocotte--the roast chicken-- is up there with Zuni. Good list of wine by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres petitestyleVIPDined on 4/4/2014But big on service and a real feel for being in paris. No emphasis on decor, but all on food and service. Great chicken and A trio of sauces. The cocottes/sides are fabulous. Fun service. A terrific value. Charming...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the virge of greatnessfoodie1985Dined on 3/6/2014The food was excellent. The service was friendly and patient, but they forgot a couple things (more bread and wine).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great rotisserie chicken andFoodieVIPDined on 2/28/2014Great rotisserie chicken and side dishes and sauces. Go there for the roasted chicken to perfect ion,Special Features:
- Charming serviceEdieGVIPDined on 2/28/2014We were thrilled to capture the one tiny table for two in a secluded romantic corner. Gentlemen, this is the kind of table you use to pop the question! The service was personal and attentive without hovering . Classic bistro food without any fuss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindMartinezDined on 2/22/2014The food was just ok. The ambience was outstanding. The place has a warm and comfortable feeling about it. It could have been on the romantic side but the tables are way to close and the noise was just to much to check the "Romantic" box. Great potential. I would defenitly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.