John Ash & Co.
4330 Barnes Rd.
Santa Rosa, CA 95403Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
John Ash & Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vintnersinn.com/
- Phone: 7075277687
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Bar & Lounge: Monday-Thursday, 4:00pm; Friday-Sunday, 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schmidt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accomodate large parties in the dining room and dining terraces with vineyard views year round. A variety of group menu options and table configurations are available. Full use of the restaurant for up to 200 people is available for lunch or brunch daily.
- Private Party Contact: Robin Ameral 7075662617
A word from John Ash & Co.
Nestled in a picturesque vineyard setting, the restaurant reflects the rich heritage and lifestyle of the region. Executive Chef Thomas Schmidt reaps the bounty of local boutique food purveyors, while being respectful of our wine country inspired cuisine. Our award-winning wine list features over 500 selections. They also offer private banquet facilities for meetings and weddings; trellis and wisteria-shaded patio dining. ***For all Holiday parties larger than 4 people, please call directly at 800-421-2584.***Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
John Ash & Co. - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
John Ash & Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (123)romantic (109)fit for foodies (94)notable wine list (94)scenic view (80)great for outdoor dining (72)good for groups (44)vibrant bar scene (30)neighborhood gem (26)great for brunch (15)hot spot (12)great for lunch (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- DisappointedcolrasDined on 7/29/2014A beautiful location for inside and outdoor dining. But, the service was unnecessarily slow, and the food was very disappointing.
- Usually GREATROLVDined on 7/28/2014I have visited John Ash many times. This is a great gourmet restaurant that we select for special occasions. The food is always savory and clearly made with the utmost pride. During this last visit, all was perfect, except the delivery of our main courses. The waiter came back a couple of times to apologize, saying that the chef was getting to ours next. This was the longest we've waited for our dinner at John Ash - over 40 minutes. I expect that this may have been a rare fluke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Evening!LovethewinecountryVIPDined on 7/27/2014We went to John Ash to celebrate my birthday and out wedding anniversary. We were seated in the patio area that has large windows that open allowing for a breeze but not overwhelming. We looked over the vineyard and garden area. It was a wonderful way to begin with our champagne. We then shared the crab/corn appetizer which was delicious. My husband had the halibut which was cooked exactly how he wanted. I had the special for the evening which was swordfish on a bed of pasta with pesto and egg plant. My dinner was wonderful and we were both happy with our choices. We had gelato for dessert and were also treated with a small Crème Brule with a candle. Todd our server was great. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxing treatsrk2013Dined on 7/27/2014After a very long trip to get to Vintners Inn, we had a dinner reservation at John Ash & Co. Our table was in a beautiful setting overlooking beautiful grounds, and the food and service was excellent. We had a relaxing, tasty meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John Ash on the mark as usualRetmanDined on 7/26/2014The first time using open table reservation was easy, quick and effective. Our table was perfectly placed for our quiet dinner. Service was there when needed and not hovering allowing us to talk freely. The courses arrived well timed and piping hot. And, the view from the patio was one of a kind of the surrounding wine country vineyards. If You are counting on that "perfect" dining experience, you need to dine here. And, they'll make your martini any way you want it.Special Features:
- It was great!ImsotariDined on 7/26/2014The best food I ever had in California and I mean it. And the best coffee. The first time that I got an espresso at the right temperature! Food is very good and quality of veggies and fruit is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014The service was excellent although my mother had the lamb. Hers was full of grisel with very little meat. She was quite disappointed.Special Features:
- Usually stellar...winecountrydinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014We are frequent diners at John Ash. However, our last dinner was a surprising disappointment. First we were seated on the patio in mid 80 degree weather.The dinner fare this evening was consistently off.The pan seared to burnt swordfish over at least a pound of pasta, the proportions way off.The usually reliable short rib consisted of three bones and about four bites of actual meat ($32). All the salads were wilted.The ahi tna was was all that was edible on the plate, the rest was garnish.Two plates did (almost) live up to the John Ash reputation, the scallops and shrimp and the veal pasta, nice but not the usual vibrant flavors. Not to sure what happened in the kitchen this evening..it will be awhile before we come back after this outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2014Always great food and wine. We had halibut and duck and both were terrific. Service was attentive. A little louder than we have experienced in the past but overall still a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014The atmosphere and service are wonderful. The food, though very good, is not exceptional. Perfect location if you'd like a romantic setting, very good service AND want to hear what the people you're there with have to say. The food will not disappoint, but won't be something you talk about at the end of the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent RestaurantDoodleDined on 7/19/2014John Ash is definitely a special place to dine. Food and service always outstanding. You are never feel rushed, plenty of time to have a drink before your meal and time between courses. Definitely a place to try if you've never been there.Special Features:
- ExcellentEdRadDined on 7/19/2014Met with old friends and all aspects of our dinner were excellent - food choices broad ; we all had different entrees including Ahi , chicken, and prawn/scallop dinners and all were memorable, beautifully presented; service was great , waiter knowledgable, wine choice perfect and desert excellent. We were early and no problems with delays, noise, and our choice of seatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineswithfriendsDined on 7/17/2014Food was great. There was a mix up with our order and the entree was taken off the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014Menu was not all that exciting, the food we ordered was very good though, and the restaurant itself is very nice. I would dine there again if the opportunity presented itself.
- OverratedDiningDuoVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had a party of 7 on Thursday night @ 6 PM since we were going to see Pat Matheney at the Wells Fargo Center. The service was painfully slow, the food was expensive and just was ok, nothing special and the ambiance is dated. Our asparagus salad was 7 tiny thin spears of asparagus with some bland cheese on top for $12. My pork chop was dry and the side dishes were overpowering and it ran $37. Others said that the duck was good. The waiter was handling 2 sections of the restaurant and we basically had to pour our own wine and rely on the busboy to handle our needs. Not the "special" dinner that we expected.Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceBarryVIPDined on 7/16/2014We have dined here on several trips to Sonoma and hosted our son's rehearsal dinner here. The food and service and ambiance are always superb. The front room bar has its own different energy which is fun, and isolated enough from the dining rooms not to interfere with the intimate nature of the dinner experience.Special Features:
- santa rosa wine,restaurantksb1001VIPDined on 7/15/2014Had dinner at John Ash & Co. Beautiful setting. Great wine list. Limited menu but excellent food. Price was,reasonable considering it is Zagat rated and in the,heart of Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!lyublyupokushatDined on 7/14/2014Had a dinner with my family and could not wish anything better than the food and service we received at John Ash. Everything was delicious, the service and atmosphere were impeccable. We had great time. I wish I could dine there again.Special Features:
- A Gem in the Vinyard!FavoriteVIPDined on 7/12/2014We have dined at John Ash & Co. a number of times, and each time is a wonderful experience! The food and service are always top notch!Special Features:
- Food heavensantarosaregularDined on 7/11/2014Everything was fantastic. Thomas the chef once again prepared excellent meals and the presentation was beyond expectation. We will return many times. I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationGlennDined on 7/9/2014We both share Birthdays (same week) and celebrated at John Ash. It was incredible. The food was fantastic, the Staff was very attentive and the Chef went all out. It was a truly memorable celebration. Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDINGRICKVIPDined on 7/5/2014One of our favorite restaurants in the US. Visit every time we are in California. Food presentation and preparation is wonderful. The four of us all had different dinners; all we fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- IncredibleCCDFW1VIPDined on 7/4/2014A delicious romantic dinner! Great wine options. Waiter was friendly and knowledgable. The duck was the best my foodie husband had ever enjoyed. My veal Pasta was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minutejajaumaDined on 7/4/2014It was tricky finding something open for the Fourth, but they were able to get our party of four in no problem. The waitstaff was attentive and very helpful in answering all our questions and in making sure we were as comfortable as possible. The outdoor seating area was bright and airy--beautiful! The food was well prepared--no gastronomic masterpieces but good food. We were not disappointed. The most impressive parts of the meal were the tidbits provided by the chef as we waited. They were impressive and I would have liked to see more along their lines on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandinglotsojoyDined on 6/29/2014We received a gift certificate 2 years ago.I am sorry we waited so long to use it. It was our anniversary and wanted a very special experience. We got that and more! Outstanding! Many thanks to my niece and nephew for their amazing gift! Love you both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect experience.PandTDined on 6/29/2014We were celebrating a birthday and found everything to be perfect: food, wine, service. The ambiance fit the occasion beautifully. We love to dine at John Ash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffCDined on 6/26/2014Very nice evening--great food with imagination, good service and a beautiful location.Special Features:
- Birthday DinneroldguyDined on 6/26/2014Another outstanding dinner meal at John Ash. Service was great and food outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Birthday giftOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/24/2014My wife and I spent her birthday at the Vintner's Inn. John Ash and Co was on the same property. We had heard about the inn and the restaurant from friends. The service was great, not over bearing but attentive enough. We both loved our meal and the dessert. We plan on returning, hopefully, before my wife's next birthday.Special Features:
- Dining at John AshissaaccDined on 6/20/2014The food was good not great. The ambiance was excellent. The cost was excessive given the quality of the meal. There are better choices in Sonoma County,Special Features:
- InconsistentjjhmanDined on 6/14/2014We've been eating at John Ash, off and on, for something like 30 years. We have had some fabulous meals there but sometimes its a complete bust. That was our most recent experience. When you eat at the pizza shack and you get a mediocre meal you say "Oh well" When you drop $300+ on a meal for four you expect something pretty nice and that didn't happen. We ordered three different entrees; two steaks, one lamb "mixed plate" and a pheasant special. Not one of the entrees was above the quality you would expect from the Sizzler or Applebees. There are so many nice restaurants in the area I'm not sure we will ever go back. The environment is nice but when paying $3.25 for a cup of coffee I expect to at least be offered a refill.Special Features:
- Excellent lambomnivorous12Dined on 6/14/2014The cheese board was fantastic! I had ordered the Lamb, delicious does not even describe it. Make sure you order the lamb sweetbreads to accompany the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for getawayLittleNickyPDined on 6/9/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the food and setting against the vineyards. Great and accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidPigpenDined on 6/8/2014The food was excellent. We shared the BLT crab starter and was not to sure what to expect, but let's just say, do not skip! I had the pork special with a gnocchi like pasta. Would definitely get again. My wife had the halibut (which of course she graciously gave me a taste). Another winner! The only thing would have been a little longer cook time on the carrots. They where a little raw. Even with that said, they were very fresh. We skipped on desert (plenty full from main course). This was the perfect place for our romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always a great experiencemefgamesDined on 6/7/2014Made a reservation thru open table the day of our dinner. Excellent friendly staff. food was outstanding, as it has been on previous occasions. Nice quiet indoor table with a full view of the outdoor seating and patio. I would highly recommend this venue a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Always perfect!HockeyChefDined on 6/1/2014If you're ever in the Santa Rosa area, this is THE place to dine. Located at the Vintners Inn and situated within the vineyards, this is one of our favorite places to dine. The menu is always changing and features hyper-fresh produce. The dishes are always inventive, but comforting, and the service is top-notch. Fantastic wine list, too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2014John Ash does not disappoint but unfortunately, it also does not excite. The service and ambience are consistently good and reliable. The food is not bad but it is not on the same level as Dry Creek Kitchen, Farmhouse Inn or Monti's.
- The following 1364 reviews are from the John Ash & Co. reviews archive.
- Great dining experienceLambieDined on 5/23/2014We celebrated our anniversary here and had a wonderful experience. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. The little extras were a real treat. We loved it.Special Features:
- MemorableBusyDinerDined on 5/18/2014The atmosphere and views were worth the visit. The food was very good and the servers were very attentive and helpful with menu and wine choices. Its a little pricey, but I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and LovelyRustymom64VIPDined on 5/17/2014This was our first time dining here and we were also celebrating or anniversary. The dining room is lovely we had a cozy booth in the corner. The food was excellent . Service was attentive without being imposing We will be backSpecial Features: