Black's Bar & Kitchen
7750 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Black's Bar & Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacksbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: 3016525525
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lite Fare Bar Menu: 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Late Night Menu: Thursday 10:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 11:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Dane Sewlall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Black's Bar & Kitchen
Black’s Bar And Kitchen is the most appetizing news to swim into Bethesda in seasons.” “I have yet to meet a fish dish I don't like here” Tom Sietsema, The Washington Post. Welcome to Black’s Bar & Kitchen, Bethesda Maryland’s premiere restaurant. Recently named Maryland’s Favorite New Restaurant for 2007, Black’s serves a refined menu of Modern American cuisine with an emphasis on seafood. Black’s innovative menu blend organic ingredients with a light and fresh flair, including regional flavors from Virginia’s Northern Neck and Southern Maryland’s agricultural development coalition and showcases the finest organic meats and game. The wine selection, over 300 labels in all, is prominently displayed in a new state-of-the-art, temperature-controlled wine room. Black’s received the Wine Spectator Magazine’s Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Black's Bar & Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Black's Bar & Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)great for outdoor dining (77)neighborhood gem (77)special occasion (71)good for groups (51)notable wine list (47)vibrant bar scene (41)great for brunch (34)hot spot (32)romantic (31)great for lunch (29)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (8)scenic view (3)Show More
- Early dinner Sunday, June 22.SeafoodieDined on 6/22/2014Outside seating on a good weather night. It was great. But primo was the seafood - trout, seafood stew, crab cakes. The bread basket was outstanding. We hit half-price wine night and scored well. I asked the restaurant to adopt me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1762 reviews are from the Black's Bar & Kitchen reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Seafood predominates. Interesting raw bar, tasty entrees. Server was quite attentive. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- exceptional serviceTracyPVIPDined on 6/21/2014We decided to try Blacks for Sunday brunch, and we were not disappointed. Service was superb and enthusiastic. Food was creative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dinner at Black's/Bethesdadiningmaven1Dined on 6/20/2014We had a delightful dinner at Black's the other night. The restaurant was sublime and restful. My husband raved about the tuna (although I have never seen him eat sushi grade tuna before - and the waiter pointed out that this was very high grade tuna), and my hanger steak was absolutely perfect. The knowledgeable waiter suggested a perfect degree of "doneness" and a wonderful chimichurra sauce, which made every bite a treat. Nice that you can order entrees and select your sides. Coffee at the end was served in large cups, and the cappuccino was very tasty. Only improvement opportunity - I do wish they could offer a glass of chardonnay with an oak finish for less than $16, however. Overall, great experience... thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meets high expectationsNorthBethesdaDinerVIPDined on 6/19/2014We were regulars at a different Black's property: Addie's, which closed recently due to the large scale redevelopment of Rockville Pike. So, we knew to expect a great experience at this restaurant. We were not disappointed. The food was prepared and presented well, from the warm bread and on. Glass of wine is served nicely in a small carafe. We enjoyed several different fish as entrees, including Skate, which is a nice change of pace from the usual. Worth a visit, and a revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sea foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Awesome oysters and Seafood stew topped off this great meal with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Power outagePiperDined on 6/17/2014When we arrived for our reservation, the entire block where Blacks Bar is located had a power outage. Hence, they would not seat us or feed us so we went elsewhere. My ratings for food, service and ambience are only there because they are required and do not reflect on those actual aspects.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodLarryVIPDined on 6/14/2014We very pleased with the quality of the seafood, very fresh. The vegetables that came with the main courses were also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Black's- Fabulous Food & WineEKJoeyDined on 6/14/2014Black's has reached a new level of culinary prowess. Everything we ordered was amazing- Kushi Oysters, Duck breast, Bronzino and a magnificent veal chop. The sizes are great too- fabulous cornbread and greens that would make a non believer turn into a convert. The wine list is terrific. A bottle of Hartford Court Land's Edge Pinot Noir was a stunning pairing for all courses. Our desserts included a sublime Baba ah Rhum and it disappeared in no time. Great service, great cocktails, great meal!Special Features:
- Another Solid MealAndrewjbVIPDined on 6/10/2014This is my fifth time dining here and as always the food was very good.Special Features:
- The communal tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014The restaurant is elegant and clean but pretentious. As I entered, I was invited to sit at the "communal table" (a table at the front of the restaurant) to fill out my "application to bring in outside food" (i had a birthday cake for two birthdays in the party!). The form required me to list all ingredients in the cake and a lot of other information (very time-consuming), and it said there would be a $3 plating fee for each piece of cake we eat. We decided we would eat the cake later at home after dinner. So nice restaurant, but incredibly pretentious and somewhat strange.Special Features:
- Overpriced.carlynnecVIPDined on 6/8/2014The food was good but nothing to justify the exorbitant prices.
- Nice experienceru4dcDined on 6/7/2014Good ambiance. Good food and hospitable staff. The layout was nice and roomy and the look is modern. We chose to eat inside, but the outdoor space looks like a must try on the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bsandDined on 6/7/2014food is delicious! and service good too--we loved everything--and people were attentive without being fawningSpecial Features:
- Oysters and roast PigsussVIPDined on 6/7/2014Excellent! Any Brunch from Black's Bar and Kitchen is always a hit! I come here like clockwork 1-2 times a month because it is consistently excellentZ,
- ExcellentPatrickDined on 6/6/2014I had the special, which was a thai seasoned crab cake dish. It was fantastic, as were the drinks and the oysters. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed opportunitymortymomDined on 5/30/2014Although our decision to go to Blacks for our anniversary dinner had been somewhat last minute, we did make a reservation requesting an outside table and informing them that it was our anniversary. We ended up being sat abruptly at a awkward, oversized table by the bar. Although they were busy, they weren't that busy, and if some effort had been made to acknowledge the reservation and requests, I think we would have spent more on our wine and dinner options. As it was the crab cakes, appetizers, and Pinot were good, but not great, and if we return, it would be out of convenience rather than excitement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NonicknameDined on 5/30/2014It was nice to have dinner here to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special evening.EatingOutShouldBeFunVIPDined on 5/29/2014We enjoyed a lovely anniversary dinner. The oysters were a highlight.Special Features:
- Little expensiveNicholasDined on 5/29/2014Really good and tasty food and great wines. In my opinion is a little expensive and recommend the place for an special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/24/2014First time for some of us. Excellent seafood (mussels, snapper and swordfish) and grilled dishes (veal chop and duck breast). Wish chef on the grill went a little easier on the pepper before grilling (especially on veal chop). Extensive and relatively reasonable wine menu. Did some research and had a delicious Auxerrois. Service from Keara was excellent (as was help assistance from wine manager). Don't know why at 7:30 PM, management decide to start blasting the music. Up until that point, we were please with the sound level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish PreparationWesternannDined on 5/22/2014Lots of interesting fish preparations. Unique local clams, soft shell crab, and unique fish offerings. Excellent side dishes and appetizers. Great for business dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Sunday LunchGronupDined on 5/18/2014We ordered off the menu and were pleased with our choices. Excellent Bloody Mary!Special Features:
- Bethesda's BestYUMMYTUMMYVIPDined on 5/17/2014Beautifully prepared fish and an interesting wine list combined with good service make Black's A terrific restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014It was a very enjoyable meal. The waiter was very knowledgeable on how things were prepared as we are gluten free and he verified what was OK to choose from the menu. We had the salmon and rock fish special. Both were prepared well using unusual ingredients; At least to us. We would gladly go back to try other dishes.Special Features:
- Great food and exceptional martinikandymDined on 5/17/2014My husband & I came to Black's on our 2nd date back in 2001. Since moving onto the Chesapeake Bay, we have always talked about coming back. I surprised him this past Saturday with a hotel room & reservations for dinner with you. Although the restaurant looked different from when we were there years ago, the ambience was very retro and inviting. I had the cornmeal crusted soft shell appetizer that was phenomenal while my husband had the bruschetta. Both of us love bruschetta & we were a little disappointed in the bruschetta on your menu. I had the scallop entrée & they were cooked to perfection. My husband had the crab cake entrée & we both remarked that they were the best we've ever had. The Up & Cumber martini was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for oysters!Mo84Dined on 5/16/2014The place is on the pricey side, and its a touch and go with the service. Great for special occasions and perhaps nicest at the open air bar or outside as opposed to sitting further inside but that can be romantic too.Special Features:
- Terrific serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/16/2014Our waiter was extremely professional. He knew the menu, including specials, was attentive but not hovering, and was very personable.Special Features:
- Offensive and UnprofessionalOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/11/2014Very disturbing experience for Mother's Day dinner. The kitchen is open to the dining area; someone started yelling at the kitchen staff and ramped up to screaming and shouting offensive profanity. He was screaming the F word repeatedly. The staff told us this unbelievably offensive language and behavior was coming from the owner Jeff Black. Everyone in the restaurant, including the staff, was very frightened. Several tables of guests walked out. I expected the owner to apologize. Nothing could be said to him, everyone was afraid. It was the behavior of an arrogant bully with anger management issues. I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone. No food or experience is worth the abuse this owner inflicted on his dining guests and staff.
- unprofessionalrrdine23VIPDined on 5/11/2014Jeff Black was working the kitchen. He cused out his chefs in the middle of dinner. Some people in the dinning room left. We had already ordered or we would of left. It was the most unprofessional thing I have ever witnessed in my life. Even said something to him as we left and he said it was necessary and he doesn't care if we come back or not. I will never eat at any of his restaurants again.Special Features:
- AppalledOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/11/2014We had a reservation at Black's for Mother's Day. We were seated at our table preparing to order, when we heard a profanity-laced tirade from the kitchen that got louder and more vicious and could be heard throughout the entire restaurant. Diners were shocked and appalled, and the poor staff did their best to go about their business. We're not sure who was cursing at whom, but it sounded like a supervisor/manager berating (what a mild term for what we heard! It was really vicious) someone working under them. We left.
- Mother's Day BrunchMaZiDined on 5/11/2014This is a 4-year tradition for us and Black's gets better every year.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014The food was great except for the bread and desserts. They could use a new pastry chef. The prices were a little steep.Special Features:
- Nice seafood restaurant21vekaVIPDined on 5/7/2014Attractive restaurant, good food, nice atmosphere. Could be quite noisy however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food every timeDaltoVIPDined on 5/5/2014Home run! Never fails to deliver a great meal in a great setting. Don't miss this one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Fresh FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014We had a group of 7 for dinner and waiter was efficient and effective in managing our orders and provided great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snarky ServiceWDC1VIPDined on 4/28/2014Black's maintained its excellent quality sea food offerings which are among the best in the area. However service was characterized by a less than helpful attitude. When asked to speak to a manager, our request was ignored. Last time at this restaurant in spite of their quality menu offerings.
- worth returning toRayNDined on 4/28/2014Been going here around twice a year for the past 4 years. Never disappointed. Excellent and innovative seafood dishes. A flavor cornucopia. Great oyster selection from around the US/Canada. Attentive yet unobtrusive wait staff. Conversation with friends was slowed only by deep concentration on the food, every morsel a delight.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodLarryVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were very pleased with the appetizers and main courses- the seafood stew and halibut especially- fresh and sweet. Our server Phil, was knowledgable and friendly, we liked all of his recommendations.Special Features:
- Confused service compromises mealam2c75Dined on 4/25/2014First impression - pleasant muted lighting complementing nice woods. Neither hostess presents me with options for my hat and scarf. At my table, I inquire with a passing waiter as to options for my affairs. He accompanies me back to a coat check... near the entrance. I go for the Thai-style carrot soup, and because of our waiter's appealing description, we share the wolf-fish appetizer. Soup and appetizer arrive at the same time. What's a guy to do? Try to eat soup and appetizer at the same time? Appetizer is cold by the time I finish my soup. Table clearing between, and during (!) courses, confused. Porkchop ordered "more medium, then rare" tasty, but dry. Extremely underwhelming experience for what amounted to a two Benjamin meal.