Black's Bar & Kitchen
7750 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Black's Bar & Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blacksbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: 3016525525
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lite Fare Bar Menu: 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Late Night Menu: Thursday 10:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 11:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Dane Sewlall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Black's Bar & Kitchen
Black’s Bar And Kitchen is the most appetizing news to swim into Bethesda in seasons.” “I have yet to meet a fish dish I don't like here” Tom Sietsema, The Washington Post. Welcome to Black’s Bar & Kitchen, Bethesda Maryland’s premiere restaurant. Recently named Maryland’s Favorite New Restaurant for 2007, Black’s serves a refined menu of Modern American cuisine with an emphasis on seafood. Black’s innovative menu blend organic ingredients with a light and fresh flair, including regional flavors from Virginia’s Northern Neck and Southern Maryland’s agricultural development coalition and showcases the finest organic meats and game. The wine selection, over 300 labels in all, is prominently displayed in a new state-of-the-art, temperature-controlled wine room. Black’s received the Wine Spectator Magazine’s Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Black's Bar & Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Black's Bar & Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)great for outdoor dining (83)special occasion (82)neighborhood gem (73)good for groups (49)vibrant bar scene (43)romantic (37)notable wine list (37)great for brunch (33)great for lunch (31)hot spot (26)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- Special evening.EatingOutShouldBeFunVIPDined on 5/29/2014We enjoyed a lovely anniversary dinner. The oysters were a highlight.Special Features:
- Little expensiveNicholasDined on 5/29/2014Really good and tasty food and great wines. In my opinion is a little expensive and recommend the place for an special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/24/2014First time for some of us. Excellent seafood (mussels, snapper and swordfish) and grilled dishes (veal chop and duck breast). Wish chef on the grill went a little easier on the pepper before grilling (especially on veal chop). Extensive and relatively reasonable wine menu. Did some research and had a delicious Auxerrois. Service from Keara was excellent (as was help assistance from wine manager). Don't know why at 7:30 PM, management decide to start blasting the music. Up until that point, we were please with the sound level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1741 reviews are from the Black's Bar & Kitchen reviews archive.
- Great Fish PreparationWesternannDined on 5/22/2014Lots of interesting fish preparations. Unique local clams, soft shell crab, and unique fish offerings. Excellent side dishes and appetizers. Great for business dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Sunday LunchGronupDined on 5/18/2014We ordered off the menu and were pleased with our choices. Excellent Bloody Mary!Special Features:
- Bethesda's BestYUMMYTUMMYVIPDined on 5/17/2014Beautifully prepared fish and an interesting wine list combined with good service make Black's A terrific restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014It was a very enjoyable meal. The waiter was very knowledgeable on how things were prepared as we are gluten free and he verified what was OK to choose from the menu. We had the salmon and rock fish special. Both were prepared well using unusual ingredients; At least to us. We would gladly go back to try other dishes.Special Features:
- Great food and exceptional martinikandymDined on 5/17/2014My husband & I came to Black's on our 2nd date back in 2001. Since moving onto the Chesapeake Bay, we have always talked about coming back. I surprised him this past Saturday with a hotel room & reservations for dinner with you. Although the restaurant looked different from when we were there years ago, the ambience was very retro and inviting. I had the cornmeal crusted soft shell appetizer that was phenomenal while my husband had the bruschetta. Both of us love bruschetta & we were a little disappointed in the bruschetta on your menu. I had the scallop entrée & they were cooked to perfection. My husband had the crab cake entrée & we both remarked that they were the best we've ever had. The Up & Cumber martini was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for oysters!Mo84Dined on 5/16/2014The place is on the pricey side, and its a touch and go with the service. Great for special occasions and perhaps nicest at the open air bar or outside as opposed to sitting further inside but that can be romantic too.Special Features:
- Terrific serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/16/2014Our waiter was extremely professional. He knew the menu, including specials, was attentive but not hovering, and was very personable.Special Features:
- Offensive and UnprofessionalOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/11/2014Very disturbing experience for Mother's Day dinner. The kitchen is open to the dining area; someone started yelling at the kitchen staff and ramped up to screaming and shouting offensive profanity. He was screaming the F word repeatedly. The staff told us this unbelievably offensive language and behavior was coming from the owner Jeff Black. Everyone in the restaurant, including the staff, was very frightened. Several tables of guests walked out. I expected the owner to apologize. Nothing could be said to him, everyone was afraid. It was the behavior of an arrogant bully with anger management issues. I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone. No food or experience is worth the abuse this owner inflicted on his dining guests and staff.
- unprofessionalrrdine23VIPDined on 5/11/2014Jeff Black was working the kitchen. He cused out his chefs in the middle of dinner. Some people in the dinning room left. We had already ordered or we would of left. It was the most unprofessional thing I have ever witnessed in my life. Even said something to him as we left and he said it was necessary and he doesn't care if we come back or not. I will never eat at any of his restaurants again.Special Features:
- AppalledOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/11/2014We had a reservation at Black's for Mother's Day. We were seated at our table preparing to order, when we heard a profanity-laced tirade from the kitchen that got louder and more vicious and could be heard throughout the entire restaurant. Diners were shocked and appalled, and the poor staff did their best to go about their business. We're not sure who was cursing at whom, but it sounded like a supervisor/manager berating (what a mild term for what we heard! It was really vicious) someone working under them. We left.
- Mother's Day BrunchMaZiDined on 5/11/2014This is a 4-year tradition for us and Black's gets better every year.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014The food was great except for the bread and desserts. They could use a new pastry chef. The prices were a little steep.Special Features:
- Nice seafood restaurant21vekaVIPDined on 5/7/2014Attractive restaurant, good food, nice atmosphere. Could be quite noisy however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food every timeDaltoVIPDined on 5/5/2014Home run! Never fails to deliver a great meal in a great setting. Don't miss this one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Fresh FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014We had a group of 7 for dinner and waiter was efficient and effective in managing our orders and provided great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snarky ServiceWDC1VIPDined on 4/28/2014Black's maintained its excellent quality sea food offerings which are among the best in the area. However service was characterized by a less than helpful attitude. When asked to speak to a manager, our request was ignored. Last time at this restaurant in spite of their quality menu offerings.
- worth returning toRayNDined on 4/28/2014Been going here around twice a year for the past 4 years. Never disappointed. Excellent and innovative seafood dishes. A flavor cornucopia. Great oyster selection from around the US/Canada. Attentive yet unobtrusive wait staff. Conversation with friends was slowed only by deep concentration on the food, every morsel a delight.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodLarryVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were very pleased with the appetizers and main courses- the seafood stew and halibut especially- fresh and sweet. Our server Phil, was knowledgable and friendly, we liked all of his recommendations.Special Features:
- Confused service compromises mealam2c75Dined on 4/25/2014First impression - pleasant muted lighting complementing nice woods. Neither hostess presents me with options for my hat and scarf. At my table, I inquire with a passing waiter as to options for my affairs. He accompanies me back to a coat check... near the entrance. I go for the Thai-style carrot soup, and because of our waiter's appealing description, we share the wolf-fish appetizer. Soup and appetizer arrive at the same time. What's a guy to do? Try to eat soup and appetizer at the same time? Appetizer is cold by the time I finish my soup. Table clearing between, and during (!) courses, confused. Porkchop ordered "more medium, then rare" tasty, but dry. Extremely underwhelming experience for what amounted to a two Benjamin meal.
- Consistently goodlebeukVIPDined on 4/25/2014The green salad was dressed with a great dressing, but was uninteresting because it was just lettuce. I had hoped for at least some onion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeDaveVIPDined on 4/25/2014You have to know going in, this is going to be expensive, and be able to disregarded that. The food is fantastic. It's simple, but layered in a way that makes it seem complex. This is the calling card of great food. The appetizers are perfectly executed, and the entrees are coupled with elements that you wouldn't necessarily think would go together at first glance, but always do. This is the go to place to prove to your out of state friends/family that the DC area has a competitive food scene.Special Features:
- drinkssuzyDined on 4/25/2014Our only surprise was that the specialty beers weren't available. The waiter told us they were "sold out". This on a Friday night at 6:00? The men in our party were neither happy nor impressed with that. One wonders why they were still on the menu if they weren't available.Special Features:
- Mixed experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/24/2014This was my second visit to Black's Bar & Kitchen. What a vast difference between my experience on this visit versus previously. On this vsiti i sat in the dining room. The server seemed a bit overwhelmed and rushed away when I asked for another minute to review the menu. I asked him what the specials were because he did not disclose them to me on his own. I tried the Thai carrot soup - it was warm , spicy and very tasty. I also tried the cod special with the puree peas and rapinii. The pureed peas were seasoned; the rapini was an unfortuante mess- several pieces were woody stems and the rapini garnish could not easily be cut with utensils or chewed. The key lime pie for desser was devoid of key lime flavor. Better luck next time?Special Features:
- Well done and tastyClevelandParkerDined on 4/24/2014Black's has a great Oyster bar, wonderful seafood dishes, and a pretty good wine (not beer) selection. It would be a great place for a nice dinner out, to take out of town guests or for business. It's nice and tasteful, not a romantic hotspot, jumping bar scene or for kids. We went because of their support for "food for Life" an AIDS service organization that day. If I was in Bethesda and needed a good seafood fix, or martini and oysters, this would fit the bill- or for a tasty bite before a show. Its not at the "foodie" level, but close enough.Special Features:
- please let us inOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014We arrived at 11:50 for our 12:00 reservation, the hostess was less than hospitable, she made us wait out side as she did with all the guests. It was a beautiful day and while waiting we watched them set up the patio so when we finally made our way in , we were told they didn't know if they would seat outside yet, that the manager was a little stressed out and hadn't made a decision. We waited at the bar while they made a decision, we were given bar menus and we ordered, every drink we ordered we were told they didn't have the ingredients to make, or it was discontinued. Finally after an hour waiting for a decision we were seated outside.after that the experience got better, the server outside was really good, the food was good but coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/13/2014Our dinner group was very pleased with the food and service on a recent Sunday evening visit to Black's Bar & Kitchen. Specials for appetizers and entrees were innovative and flavorful. Special dessert (blueberry cheesecake-flavored ice cream) was a special treat.Special Features:
- They didn't respect reservationrichieVIPDined on 4/12/2014They didn't respect reservation time. The people are not good. new servers not goodSpecial Features:
- Good but not that goodRaybabeVIPDined on 4/12/2014The food was really quite good, but not good enough to justify the prices. The waiter was nice, but the service was slow. If you aren't in a hurry and don't mind being slightly ripped off, then this is a fun place for a weekend night out.Special Features:
- Great Findkatmando90Dined on 4/6/2014This is one of the best meals I have had this year. The food and service were exceptional. Sunday night is 1/2 price bottle of wine night, and we got a $70 bottle of wine which was really...really...good. My fish was so good as grilled that I did not need the buerre blanc sauce that was served on the side. Cornbread was great. Salad was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great!RichinMDDined on 4/6/2014Once again, an awesome overall dining experience ... and the mussels and oysters are both must haves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have brunch here everysussVIPDined on 4/6/2014We have brunch here every month and occassionally for lunch or dinner. Definitely one of the best dining experiences in Bethesda. More importantly, the food is consistently great!Special Features:
- Everyone was happy !ZiosmileDined on 4/5/2014Our party of 4 included 2 vegans and 2 non-vegans. All were very happy with their meal. Service was great and the meals were delicious with very nice presentation.Special Features:
- A Great Seafood & Raw BarTerryPDined on 4/5/2014The seafood is very fresh and extremely well prepared. There was a good selection on the menu accompanied by an excellent wine list. The oysters were exceptionally fresh and meticulously prepared. Overall, an exception evening with delightful servers and a great ambiance. I would fully recommend this restaurant to all my friends and colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Seafood OptionStephRDined on 4/4/2014We were looking for a restaurant with seafood options. Blacks was full of delicious seafood and vegetable dishes. The ambiance in the dining room is not much different than many other restaurants, though the bar has a very cool set-up with plenty of room and a view of the food prep in the kitchen. The food and service were exceptional, though. We had trouble deciding on food, as so many options sounded flavorful and delicious. Ultimately, the dishes we chose (salmon and tuna) were beautifully presented, had great flavor, and were the perfect amount to fill us. We did not save room for dessert, but we left more than satisfied. The service and our waitress were excellent, as well. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent as alwayskmisketVIPDined on 4/4/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Excellent food and service. They would really have to screw up to fall off my favorites list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved dinner here!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2014Wonderful fish, beautifully presented, very nice wines by the glass, and flavorful desserts to boot. We even loved the physical dishes and turned them over (once empty!) to see who had made them. I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Can recommend, can't ravegreenpeaDined on 3/29/2014First visit. Expectations high given reputation and experiences at other owner held restaurants. Needed to push reservation time - staff accommodating and friendly. Party seated promptly yet wait staff delayed in acknowledging table. Staff appeared divested from providing well informed drink and food recommendations and two items that we were directed to try were unpalatable and sent back to the bar and the kitchen. Martinis made with lime and mojitos were appreciated. Mussels and a variety of the side dishes (e.g., roasted sprouts, braised greens, cauliflower) were delicious. The apple pie ravioli dessert was a hit, the key lime pie was a solid miss. Overall food good, not outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.