1296 Clifton Inn Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22911Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecliftoninn.com/
- Phone: 4349711800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tucker Yoder
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Looking to make your next big day or night truly unforgettable? Let our talented and experienced catering team help make the difference. Whether you are looking for us to take the reins on your entire off-site event or simply deliver the fruits of our labors to you wherever you are, we are more than happy to bring you the very best we have to offer, each and every time out.
- Private Party Facilities: At Clifton, your most important days are our most important days too. All of us pride ourselves on making every occasion here a special one, and we've got an array of unique venues and experiences to do just that. You can gather 8-10 of your nearest and dearest and share our popular Chef's Table offering, providing you with a front-row seat to our nightly culinary cabaret. Our acclaimed wine cellar allows you to expand your group slightly as it accommodates up to 20 people in an elegant, gorgeously appointed setting that highlights the property's extensive wine list and serves up plenty of atmosphere along with Clifton's customary culinary brilliance. As your numbers go up, so do our possibilities, from our outstanding restaurant to a large tent in the shadows of the gorgeous Blue Ridge Mountains. When it comes to wedding days, few places can deliver dreams quite like Clifton can. We offer a classic destination wedding retreat, complete with 100 secluded acres.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Combs 4349711800
A word from Clifton Inn
At Clifton, it's all about delicious discovery. Our culinary team offers guests the chance to taste the world with daily departures designed to thrill the palette and capture the imagination. The elegant atmosphere and attentive service at Clifton is perfect for transforming any occasion into a special one. Executive Chef Tucker Yoder regularly assembles tantalizing tasting menus that turn a meal at Clifton into a fine food lover’s dream. Clifton diners can also have front row seats for the culinary action at the Chef’s Table. Designed for groups of 6 to 10 people, the Chef’s Table puts you literally front and center, allowing you to watch the culinary team make their magic.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Clifton Inn - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Clifton Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (26)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (23)scenic view (19)great for outdoor dining (17)notable wine list (10)neighborhood gem (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Clifton Inn did not disappointBmoreDinerDined on 10/3/2013Clifton Inn did not disappoint - the menu was a bit confusing but the waiter was more than happy to explain how it worked with the pricing and how to order. The food was on the whole excellent - portions were a bit on the small side. The pumpkin apple risotto I got was more finely diced vegetables with a hint of sauce and the pecan cake dessert was much more a few bites of biscotti than a cake, but everything was very well-prepared, seasoned and presented. The wine list was very extensive but I would have preferred a few more affordable options - for Pinot Noir, the cheapest glass was $14 I believe! At any rate, this was for a special occasion so we didn't mind paying a little more for such an enjoyable dining experience. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantWbridgesDined on 9/1/2013The Clifton Inn was a wonderful place to celebrate my wife's birthday. We had the chef's tasting and it was incredible. The staff and atmosphere were second to none. Thank you so much for a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Bridge too farOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/21/2013A classic country inn setting that really puts you in a mood for some classic American country dining. The small plate style seems out of character for this setting. Dishes are creative and well done, but leave you slightly unsatisfied. Make sure to inquire if the service is included before your order.
- Wonderful dinnerCaberDined on 7/27/2013Took my wife for her birthday. We were greeted with a Happy Birthday, the menu said birthday menu and dessert came with happy birthday on it. Staff were tremendous and food outstanding.Special Features:
- Absolutely Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/27/2013Food was exceptional and the Inn itself is quintessential old Virginia. I had the corn soup, chanterelle mushroom dish, scallops, and sticky toffee pudding. You can choose 4 or 5 courses from delicate up to robust. Chanterelle mushroom dish was my favorite. Scallops were cooked perfect. Would definitely recommend for a romantic weekend getaway. Jefferson vineyard and Monticello very close by to make it a worth while trip too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodKeswickGalDined on 6/25/2013Great place for foodies! Food is beautifully prepared, service is very good. They pay special attention to details. Tables are a bit too close together, we ate in the indoor patio. We could clearly hear the conversation of the couple sitting next to us. The linen, although clean, was badly stained in several places on our tablecloth and one of our napkins. Not what I expected from The Clifton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, except for dessertPBlocalDined on 6/20/2013We had a lovely evening. The first three courses were delicious, so we were expecting something wonderful for dessert. We ordered the fruit pie which was awful. A few berries, a sauce and some raw oatmeal and something else on top. We will go back, but probably won't try any dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't spend the moneymirmsDined on 6/10/2013The food was very disappointing and very expensive. I tried my 5 courses and tasted my friend's 5 courses as well, and the only thing worth eating was the cheese plate and a vegetable salad. The gnocchi was tasteless and seemed undercooked. The scallops were over salted and overcooked. The berry pie was unidentifiable as a pie and tasted of bananas. I would recommend eating almost anywhere else.
- Nearly PerfectLulu618Dined on 6/2/2013We went for our 24th anniversary. We were greeted nicely, asked for our choice of a table and we chose to go outside.We were each given a glass of champagne on the house. The big downside was that this lovely location is prime for weddings and a wedding party was staying that evening. There were barely supervised children running amok which really got annoying. We did move inside which was also very nice but kids kept running in through that dining area as well. Despite that, it is a beautiful venue and the food was excellent overall. Husband's salmon was slightly overcooked and it did take quite a while for food to appear. We were offered an opportunity to look at the kitchen and the matre'd explained how things worked. Very interesting.Special Features:
- Great dining experience. WillOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2013Great dining experience. Will go back every time we visit VA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very 'old Charlottesville'kkilkennyDined on 5/12/2013I took my mom and wife here for Mother's Day, and we had a great time. Even though the atmosphere was formal, the scenery, decor and staff made it feel very relaxing and homey. We loved the fact that it is tucked away far enough from the city (about 15 mins), that the ambiance wasn't interupted by the sounds of the city. This combined with the historic feel of the property itself made the experience feel like we stepped back in time. The one negative was that the portions were a little on the small side; but the meals were really well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother'a Day brunch not the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/12/2013I've been to Clifton Inn to stay and for dinner in the past and have been delighted. Unfortunately, the Mother's Day brunch experience fell short. Menu was not exciting, but rather was bland. Service was emotionless and hurried. I suggest they focus on pushing fewer people through in the future and focus their usual service and food preparation on a fewer number of guests. It felt like the staff was struggling to keep up with the number of tables and service was abrupt and without any charm. In the final analysis, I wouldn't do it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stayed here more for the historyEdfromBoxfordMaDined on 4/24/2013Stayed here more for the history of the Inn than the restaurant. Great service and beautiful setting. My wife thought her meal was "nothing special". Mine was better, although gnocchi is hard to score.Special Features:
- Timeless and ElegantJThomasVIPDined on 4/19/2013Tried the Clifton on a recent trip to Charlottesville with the family, the food was superb, the wine list was well curated, the service was on point but never intrusive and the old world charm of the property, which is a member of the Relais & Châteaux group makes this fit for special occasions, we would come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, Pricey PlacecowgirlDined on 4/17/2013This is indeed a lovely place for dinner. The lighting, atmosphere and service are excellent. It's not fair to judge a restaurant on one dinner. We thought the food was good but not outstanding. When our fish arrived completely underdone, the server quickly whisked it away and replaced it with one done perfectly, plus gave us a free half-glass of wine as compensation. My potato gnocchi had pear slices, which were an odd flavor combo that I didn't really care for. Note that this is a prix fixe restaurant and if you want to order a la carte each item is $16, no matter what it is (entree, dessert etc. are all the same). The wine list is excellent.Special Features:
- Bar service delayed. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/3/2013Bar service delayed. Food wonderful except the Rib Eye entree. Scallops outstanding! Red wine suggestion was refused twice before finding one we liked.Special Features:
- Bland and tastelessOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/29/2013Food lacks flavor. Inventive menu but most selections were bland.Monkfish was tough.All baked goods were terrific.wish I could say the same for the food.Special Features:
- Wine DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2013We attended a special wine dinner at the Clifton Inn on March 19, 2013.Special Features:
- If you can reserve a spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/4/2013If you can reserve a spot at the chef's table, I highly recommend! The chef and sous chef assemble your meals in front of you, and give details about the dish. And I would recommend theSpecial Features:
- Beutiful setting. Had to waitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/19/2013Beutiful setting. Had to wait 45 minutes before first course. We had to ask for bread after 30 minutes though other tables had been served. Love small plate menu.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2013Our experience was mostly pleasant, except for the food. We were told by one server (there seemed to be two fighting over our table) that the foie was "fantastic!" and encouraged to choose it by another, but it was bland, didn't have enough accoutrements. One of each of our other courses was good; the other two were meh. We had looked forward to our meal after our last meal there two years ago was amazing. Now we're in no hurry to return.Special Features:
- My girlfriend and I had highOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2013My girlfriend and I had high expectations of Clifton Inn, needless to say, we were both disappointed. The reviews we read made it seem like a fantastic place do dine, but they are misleading. I have eaten all over the world at some of the top restaurants in Japan, Washington DC, NYC, South Asia, Thailand. My girlfriend has had top level food in NYC, France, Spain, Italy, Northern Africa, Thailand...you get the point. The food was disappointing, the flavors and texture just weren't there. My girlfriend had ordered foie gras which was cold and a bit too firm and it was sitting on top a chocolate cookie that was rather hard. It was difficult to cut it with a knife without making excessive noise. The food just didn't live up to the reputation.Special Features:
- While we have eaten at CliftonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2013While we have eaten at Clifton for years including the chef table and wine cellar, I was most embarrassed to bring two new people, good friends from Waynesboro, on this night. It was packed, service good, but fish not cooked enough to eat and not worth even 50% off as each couple paid 160. wish it had been a different experience for sure.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/29/2013First visit, and pretty disappointing. Most of the food was just okay. Risotto was very dry, gnocchi was plain and unseasoned, grouper was nothing special (Zocalo actually has better grouper), and sweetbreads were not uniformly cooked. The desert was excellent (chocolate cardamon pudding) but I've had much better in CVille (see Ten and their chocolate cake. Overall, this is the most expensive place I've eaten at by far in Charlottesville and it was nowhere near what I expected. Even the soda was flat. I'm glad I went during 50% off nights with a gift card, because I can get a much better meal for 1/3-1/2 the price at probably 5 other restaurants (Downtown Grille, Zinc, Hamilton's, Maya even, Tempo, Duners, etc.). Disappointing.
- Service and food take foreverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/28/2013Service and food take forever (4 courses takes 2 hours), but the food is almost always tasty!Special Features:
- What was that on my PlateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2013I thought that the overall service was good. The food however was too different for my tastes. I also did not know what I was eating because of the many ingredients on the plate. The servers were hard to understand because of their heavy accents.
- We were there for our 19thOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013We were there for our 19th wedding anniversary and The Clifton Inn made our night very special. The food was amazing and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:
- Not as good as beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/22/2013We went during a half off the price of dinner promotion. We've been before and had better food than this last visit. Everything just seemed muted and flavors didn't stand out throughout the meal like we were expecting. The cocktails were a bit lackluster. Still, the service and ambiance made for a nice time and the house desserts at the end of the meal finished things on a perfect note.Special Features:
- It wsa absolutely wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/21/2013It wsa absolutely wonderful. Delicous food, gracious service, beautiful setting -- stupendous!Special Features:
- We decided to enjoy the Chef'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013We decided to enjoy the Chef's Table that was available on the night we had dinner. It was a fabulous experience and made for a memorable evening. The staff was the best and service stellar. We will go back and will tell everyone how much we enjoyed it.Special Features:
- The Best Service Ever!DJMullsDined on 1/12/2013I booked the reservation on-line for my bday. We arrived & were given TOP NOTCH svc immediately. Derek, was one of the managers on duty that night & he was incredibly hospitable. My husbands steak needed a bit of 'extra cooking' so they didn't charge us for it. I had the duck dish that was different than I thought it would be..I didn't ask for a substitution but when the mgr saw that I hadn't eaten it all he instantly took it away & brought me the Risotto in its place (which was very good). One of the other managers (dark haired gentleman with an accent, I'm sorry I can't remember his name) gave us the tour of the kitchen & a gift certificate to come back! I'll NEVER forget the Comfort Inn. I felt like a ROCKSTAR!Special Features:
- Our server was wonderful andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2012Our server was wonderful and the ambiance is always great but, we were there New Year's Eve and the seven course meal was not good. We did not like even one of the courses. Selections have gotten too "foofoo"...Special Features:
- Merry Christmas at The Clifton InnJillybeanDined on 12/25/2012A culinary treat! Service exceptional as is the food! Great for special occasions. Try it, you will love it!!!Special Features:
- very disappointing meal forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2012very disappointing meal for the price. Pedestrian presentation and boring entrees. We feel ripped off give the $125/pp tab. Some of the food was nearly unedible. We had been there several times before with excellent food. This time was actually terrible.
- Quite place during the week.DavidVIPDined on 12/5/2012Quite place during the week. Good Gourmet food. However the $30 corkage fee was out of line. Most 4 star restaurants in DC, Richmond, Virginia Beach, and Charlotte at in the $10-20 range even at the best places. And if a regular none at all.Special Features:
- I only regret that there isOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012I only regret that there is no place to enjoy a nice cigar even outside.
- A beautiful spot, but....OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/2/2012We have loved the Cliften Inn in the past, but this trip was not as happy. While we really liked our server, Martin, who took very nice care of us, the food portions were smaller than usual, and they are always small! And I think the thing that bothered me most was the pacing of the courses. We all ordered different things, but on the last course, the server (not Martin) brought my final choice (a fragrant pork dish) right along with our friends' final choices ((2 chocolate desserts). I have never been in a restaurant in my life that did such a thing - totally inappropriate. They should have waited till mine was done and then offered us coffee and brought out the desserts. This was a $400+ dinner for four. Very disappointing!
- Extraordinary Tasting MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/27/2012The most incredible tasting menu -- best restaurant experience I have had in months. Absolutely recommend.Special Features:
- Probably one of the finestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012Probably one of the finest dining experiences ever! The attention to detail, the service, and, of course, the food were impecable. It was my wife's birthday dinner and the staff went out of their way to make the occasion all the more special.Special Features:
- We celebrated our 10th weddingMCatDined on 9/7/2012We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary here Friday night and were treated like royalty. They gave us complimentary champagne and dessert. We really enjoyed the tasting menu and even though we might not have loved every single thing we ate, we appreciated trying new things. Our server was fantastic (I wish I could remember her name); she was attentive and friendly but not too in-your-face. One note: if you're eating here on a summer evening, eat inside! We ate on the veranda and I got completely eaten alive by bugs. My legs look like I have measles. So that is my only complaint: get some bug repellent!Special Features: