251 West 50th Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toloachenyc.com/
- Phone: 2125811818
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm Brunch 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Sunday + Monday: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - Midnight. (Bar open to 12:30am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Julian Medina
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between Broadway and 8th Avenue
- Public Transit: Take the C or E Trains to 50th St.; the 1 Train to 50th St.; and the N, R, or W Trains to 49th St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a Quik Park public lot at 1633 Broadway, next door to the restaurant. If you show the lot attendant a validated ticket proving that you have dined at Toloache you will receive a parking rate of $15 for up to four hours. The offer is good at all times. To contact the lot with questions, please call 212-445-0011.
A word from Toloache-Midtown
Welcome to Toloache (pronounced toh-lo-AH-tchay), chef-owner Julian Medina’s contemporary Mexican bistro located in the heart of the Theater District. Toloache is named after a flowering plant famed in Mexico for its use in love potions. We hope that when you dine with us you too will fall under the spell of chef Medina’s creative cooking, which incorporates seasonal and natural ingredients and more than a dozen types of chilies. Our festive, two-story space features a guacamole and ceviche bar, a wood-burning oven, and an exceptional tequila list, along with elegant decorative elements imported from Mexico. We looking forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Toloache-Midtown - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Toloache-Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
388 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (203)neighborhood gem (115)hot spot (90)good for groups (85)great for lunch (83)vibrant bar scene (65)special occasion (61)late-night find (41)romantic (35)great for brunch (24)kid-friendly (20)notable wine list (11)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- Once we got past the unforgivableOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/6/2008Once we got past the unforgivable front desk treatment in refusing to give us a decent table for 2 in a nearly empty restaurant (including the upstairs, which they said was filling with large parties but then turned out to be all tables for 2), the service and food were very good.
- Guacamole is fantastic. ShortOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/5/2008Guacamole is fantastic. Short ribs are very good. Carnitas are really awfulSpecial Features:
- An excellent choice for aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/29/2008An excellent choice for a pre-matinee brunch/lunch. The food is Mexican. A lighter touch and lovely presentation make it special.Special Features:
- A real nice place to eat at.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/22/2008A real nice place to eat at. Went there for my wife's birthday. The wait staff was excellent and the food was excellent. I would definitely recommend thsi place.Special Features:
- We've enjoyed dinner and brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2008We've enjoyed dinner and brunch here. Food is fresh and different than the average Mexican fare. A definite find in the theatre district, where we are mostly disappointed with the choices.Special Features:
- charming place, server veryFelicestevVIPDined on 11/17/2008charming place, server very helpful, a pretty place, a cut above many mexican restaurants
- This place is way too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2008This place is way too expensive for what they offer. My bill came to 128 w/ tip and tax for two people. There are many better resteraunts to be had for this price. For 128 I would have expected a better decor and some quality in the surroundings. I felt like I was at chili's.
- We really enjoyed the greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2008We really enjoyed the great cocktails and Nueva Mexicana menu. It's a great addition to our "pre-theater" list.Special Features:
- I was expecting the food toexcelllentDined on 11/11/2008I was expecting the food to be authentic Mexican, I was disappointed. The drinks menu is quite extensive but the cocktails were disappointing. Loaded with ice. No real flavour.
- Wonderful food and fresh ingredientOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2008Wonderful food and fresh ingredients. Small plates and entree size dishes are all great. Fun to go in a group and share tacos - the brisket tacos are mouth-watering. Trio of quacamole is refreshing and fantastic. Very unique and quite the midtown gem!Special Features:
- $17 for tacos? If they'rescbeachyDined on 11/6/2008$17 for tacos? If they're filled with delicious spicy lobster, hey, why not? Truly top-notch Mexican food, with killer margaritas too. Noisy but festive like Cinco de Mayo.Special Features:
- Perfect for our family withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/5/2008Perfect for our family with two teenage kids - before theatre.Special Features:
- The margaritas were very goodwestchesterfoodieVIPDined on 11/5/2008The margaritas were very good although just like the reviews, the waiters do try to push you to use more expensive tequila to make them. Not worth it! The waiters kept trying to rush us, which was unenjoyable but the food and ambiance was alot of fun.Special Features:
- We've been to Toloache a coupleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/4/2008We've been to Toloache a couple of times and the food has been quite good. We generally go with small plates. Here, the tacos, quesadillas and gorditas are severals cuts above the average Mexican fare. It is also good for pre-theater, especially because the other restaurants in the area are not that great.Special Features:
- enjoyed the experience. everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/31/2008enjoyed the experience. everything was very tasteySpecial Features:
- My husband and I really likedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/28/2008My husband and I really liked everything about this restaurant. What a difference from boring Tex-Mex menus! The menu was interesting and everything we had tasted great. We thought the fruit-based guacamole was especially terrific, as was the paella. I wanted to drink the sauce that came with the chips. Our server was helpful in explaining unfamiliar ingredients (huitlacoche is worth trying).Special Features:
- Great gourmet take on regionalOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/25/2008Great gourmet take on regional mexican food. Loved the veal cheek tacos and the grasshopper tacos. Good selection of ceviche.Special Features:
- Have a bunch of tacos andBKinMhtnDined on 10/24/2008Have a bunch of tacos and a margarita. It's a perfect pre-theater outing!Special Features:
- My mother and I went to ToloacheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2008My mother and I went to Toloache before attending a 7:00 show. The service was friendly and very attentive, the menu was interesting, and the food was outstanding. Great twists on guacamole and ceviche, and the best shrimp tacos I have ever had! The mole poblano and pumpkin flan were also delicious. I would definitely recommend this restaurant - it's hard to find a place like this in midtown.Special Features:
- We had a very nice pre-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2008We had a very nice pre-theater brunch. The food is upscale Mexican and I had a very interesting blueberry margarita. Guacamole was excellent--they serve three kinds. The salsa was very interesting smooth tomato concoction--delicious. Brunch portions were small--wish I had gone with a bigger group and been able to taste more menu itemsSpecial Features:
- This was our 3rd time here.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2008This was our 3rd time here. We love it pre-theater. The food is delicious and the ambiance is lovely.Special Features:
- Service was excellent. TriedHavanaDined on 10/17/2008Service was excellent. Tried the guac trio. I like the fruit one and the traditional one. Langosta tacos and the chicken quesadilla also tasted great. Small pumpkins were on the table for decor and were cute.Special Features:
- Food portions tend to be smallOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/14/2008Food portions tend to be small but that is to be expected with Mexican food. The guacamole and ceviche are two of the must try's as well as the tacos. Service is great and the waiters/waitresses definitely know what they're doing which is great since that is a quality that is becoming less and less common.Special Features:
- Good, interesting food, terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/6/2008Good, interesting food, terrific tequila selection and interesting, well made margaritas, friendly and attentive service. Have been there twice and will go again.Special Features:
- Execellent food! Great decor!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/4/2008Execellent food! Great decor! You're gonna love the guacamole and cerviche bar. We enjoyed the traditional and flavorful Mexican dishes.
- interestng combinations ofeyedocVIPDined on 10/3/2008interestng combinations of ingredients lends a very nice touch to Mexican fareSpecial Features:
- Food was excellent, differentOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/28/2008Food was excellent, different and unique combinations. Service was great. Perfect spot for pre theater dining, quiet and quick service. The pork tacos with pineapple that I had were great as was the guac! Would return again if plans call to be in the area.
- Great overall experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2008Great overall experience! Second time going there and both times have been great. The food is amazing, not that typical chimichanga and tacos type of restaurant at all. Dinner for two can get to over $100 easy but definitely worth it for special occasions. Waiters upsell to you alot but that is expected. When they did not have the bottle of wine we asked for, they gave us one that cost double the price for the reduced price. Definitely would recommend this little restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Drinks and entree's were onOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2008Drinks and entree's were on the expensive side. I would not say they were $$ more like $$$.
- My friends and I enjoy MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/16/2008My friends and I enjoy Mexican food and experienced most of the restaurants in the city. The food was very good but the appetizer portions were extremely small for the price. The brick oven pig was fantastic and memorable. The prickly pear margaritas were excellent. Downside, both the upstairs and downstairs seating areas were so noisy we had trouble hearing each other.
- WE had the quesedillas, guacomoleBonnieDined on 9/15/2008WE had the quesedillas, guacomole and a spectacular chocolate cake with caramel ice cream.Tortillas were crisp and fillings delicious.
- The food was interesting;OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2008The food was interesting; not your usual Mexican fare, but the noise level was so high that I doubt if I'll ever go back.
- This was the fourth time myOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2008This was the fourth time my husband and I have eaten at Toloache, and we have never been disappointed. The waiters are excited about the food they are offering, which makes us excited. The tastes are eclectic and unique, which will keep us going back for years to come.Special Features:
- Terrific authentic MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/30/2008Terrific authentic Mexican food in the heart of the theater district. We had an early dinner after a matinee but it would be just as nice for a late dinner after evening theater. The 3 "tastes" of guacamole are generous portions and all were unique tasting & delicious. We didn't try the ceviche "tastes" but will do so next time. Shrimp & chicken dishes we shared were also quite good (try the mole if you like mole sauce)....and the flan was light and moist. The margarita menu has some interesting combinations. We loved the "de la calle" with cucmber and jicama. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- I have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/26/2008I have been to this restaurant several times over the past year and was happy to find out that they were celebrating their birthday with $1 TACO's. Service was attentive, food was delicious and they have my favorite Tequila! Good times.Special Features:
- portions are a bit small forOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/20/2008portions are a bit small for the price great drinks and guacamole
- Service was great and foodHavanaDined on 8/16/2008Service was great and food was delicious. Love the guac and desserts. Will be back again.Special Features:
- For that eastern asian flairgrs90802VIPDined on 8/9/2008For that eastern asian flair Tao rates as one of the hottest fun spots with great food, we have been there 3 times in the past two years and enjoyed every bit.Special Features:
- This is Mexican food likeLunitaDined on 8/9/2008This is Mexican food like you have never tasted it in the United States. If you're used to the standard tacos/guacamole/enchiladas fare, you're in for a treat. It's worth a trip just to sample the guacamole trio, an eye opener for anyone who never knew how varied and tasty guacamole can be. It just gets better from there.
- Great food and incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2008Great food and incredible service. Tequila offerings are amazing and the drinks made with them are terrific. I am an older woman who was waiting from her daughters to join her, and was made to feel very welcome by the bar staff; every effort was made to save a table for the four people I expected, in spite of a delay in their arrival of more than 30 minutes (and a rapidly filling restaurant). There is also a Quik Park (one of the people coming to join me was coming by car) next door...10% off with a card from the restaurant. and don't forget dessert, gorgeous and delicious!Special Features: