575 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/3941
- Phone: 2026376100x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch (served in our Bar & Lounge):
11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., Saturday
11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., Tuesday – Friday
Closed Sunday & Monday
5:30 p.m. – 10 p.m., Tuesday – Thursday
5:30 p.m. – 11 p.m., Friday & Saturday
Closed Sunday & Monday
Bar & Lounge:
4 p.m. – 11 p.m., Tuesday – Thursday
4 p.m. – 12 a.m., Friday & Saturday
Closed Sunday & Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Scott Drewno
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information please contact Erica Frank at (202) 637-6106 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
- Special Events: Please contact Erica Frank, Catering Sales Manager, at (202) 637-6106 or email@example.com
A word from The Source
The Source is the first fine dining restaurant in the nation’s capital headlined by Master Chef Wolfgang Puck. Designed by EDG, the three-level restaurant is the signature dining experience at the Newseum, an interactive museum of news. The Source offers two distinct dining experiences as well as a private room located on the lower level that seats up to 40 guests. The ground floor bar and lounge where guests enter offers approachable dining in a casual setting and features a traditional Japanese Izakaya menu offering sushi, sashimi, noodle dishes and authentic "Robata" grilled dishes. Upstairs, guests can enjoy a menu that features Puck’s modern take on Asian cuisine. The Source is the recipient of many awards and accolades including #3 ranking on Washingtonian Magazine's "Top 100 Restaurants" list, "2008 New Restaurant of the Year" Award and "2008 Restaurant of the Year" from DC Magazine plus has received three stars from Washington Post food critic Tom Sietsema.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Source reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (126)special occasion (102)notable wine list (54)great for lunch (51)romantic (48)hot spot (38)good for groups (35)great for brunch (32)neighborhood gem (20)vibrant bar scene (15)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- TashiVIPDined on 8/9/2014Just when we think Jorge M cannot exceed himself in providing excellent service, he surprises us again! What a wonderful dim sum brunch and made even more special by Jorge's attention. He is in that unique class of servers who are always aware of exactly where each of his tables is in the progression of their meal and he provides just the right touch at the right moment. There is no hovering, but neither are you ever waiting for him to arrive to pour a glass of wine or check to see if there is anything needed. The food is always amazing at The Source, and the service is equally outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bubbles82Dined on 8/9/2014The food was delicious and the presentation was beautiful! I wanted another round of everything we ordered it was so tasty. The service was also incredible - very calm and spacious atmosphere!! I'd highly recommend this!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014We last ate at the Source about two years ago, and we remembered it as a wonderful meal. This time around the food quality was mixed. The appetizers were all terrific, especially the tuna tartar, but also the suckling pig appetizer and the remoulade sauce with the crab cakes. But the main courses were disappointing. The softshell crabs were too salty and greasy even after they very kindly replaced them. The halibut was good but not special, and the sea bass was dramatically served but slightly overdone. Only the duck was really excellent. The service, however, was truly outstanding.
- dim sum!EP34Dined on 8/2/2014The dim sum brunch Is outstanding. The food is beautiful and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014All I have to say is that the food, the ambience, and the customer service is absolutely wonderful!! I recommend you try the raw oysters for an appetizer and the lamb for an entrée. I will most defiantly be visiting again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Break In The DayDCLunchDateDined on 7/31/2014The Source is a great place for a lunch date with the wife giving us a nice break in our busy schedules during the day. The food is great, very nice combination of ingredients, tastes and presentation styles. The service is very good as well, professional and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Time!OpenSourcedDined on 7/26/2014Dinner is usually the prelude to the night, however, during our recent experience, the 7-course chef's special was almost 3 hours of being wined and dined with delicious food and a bottle of delicious Moscato. I will definitely keep The Source on my list of favorite places to eat in DC. ... Now if I would have only got a window seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go To The SourcesadieDined on 7/22/2014What a delight. Friendly warm hostesses greeted us at the door followed by knowledgeable, attentive and smart servers who delivered plates that should have been photographed --- but I'm more interested as to how the flavors meet the palate as to how they look on the plate. Pure delight. Fresh. Flavorful. Light. We were on a time crunch to take in an event at the Newseum which we made with time to spare. Crab cakes are tasty no filler charmers that the grumpiest Maryland Crab Cake snob will approve. Just a notch below my all time favorites from Flaps in Potomac. :( closed years ago. Can't go wrong on this menu. Enjoy.Special Features:
- SuperbLouisDined on 7/22/20143 of us tried the Happy Hour special and ALL 9 plates were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have been better!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014From the moment my wife and I arrived for our 17th wedding anniversary celebration, everything went wonderfully. The service was at hand at all times and the 7-course chef's surprise was absolutely wonderful in presentation, preparation, taste and distinction; almost too much! The staff was knowledgeable, courteous and gave us everything we wanted while also giving us time to ourselves to enjoy the meal and time spent oohing and aahing each course and losing count on how many yet to come. The Source's chef provided one of the better meals either of us have ever enjoyed and made us total converts of excellent Asian cuisine that we look forward to enjoying again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JUST LOVE THIS PLACE!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014First time for Saturday brunch and it exceeded all expectations! Our server, Luis, was simply fabulous, too.Special Features:
- Awesome 5th Anniversary dinnerCusemanDined on 7/18/2014Impecable delicious 7 course tasting menu with wine pairings. The Chef and service were outstanding and greatly impressed a usually picky wife when it comes to food. Each course was exotic looking and able to touch every part of your palate. A must dine for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to love?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014The Source was everything my wife and I hoped it would be, and more. Top notch service, excellent food, great wine options, not packed with tourists or rug rats - perfect! We loved it all. Ask to sit in Lisa's section - she knows the menu backwards and forwards and accommodated our 'we'd like several appetizers served as tapas' request perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HH Food Special!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/17/2014So good. Cocktails were great. We did 6 small plates: Pork Steam Buns - 5 Shrimp and Lobster Spring Rolls - 4 Wok Fried Udon w/ Ox Tail - 5 Tempura Green Beans - 5 Volcano Roll - 4 Crispy Shrimp - 4 All amazing! Go back!Special Features:
- Newseum bonusSDRotarianDined on 7/17/2014Interesting lunch menu with reasonable Rices. Upscale atmosphere and dining patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TashiVIPDined on 7/12/2014A beautiful day for dim sum brunch at The Source. Both the food and the presentation - always amazing. A couple of new items on the menu that we enjoyed - the smoked trout spread on garlic toast was delicious. Service by Jorge was beyond excellent - we received incredible care - thank you Jorge!! No doubt we will return soon since this is one of our very favorite meals in DC.Special Features:
- Certainly Not Improving with timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/10/2014service keeps getting worse and food is just okay.Special Features:
- Great place for dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014I had Friends visiting from out of town. We all like Asian, so this was a perfect restaurant. I loved my duck and the crispy artichokes were fabulous!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/10/2014love the dumplings here. Tastey and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- DC ' s bestGeorgeDined on 7/5/2014Amazing food. Our favorite restaurant in DC. Tuna tartar cones, tiny dumplings, fried artichokes, salmon,lobster, fried rice are all musts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mnakashiVIPDined on 7/3/2014Our party of 3 had, Maine lobster with soy sauce, halibut, and lump crab cakes with remoulade, and vegetables, tofu with a mustard/yogurt dressing. Unfortunately, this Wolfgang Puck restaurant part of the Newseum/condo complex next to the Canadian Embassy is a miss for the following reasons, one person had order two dishes, the last two on the list to assemble a vegetarian meal and most glaring of all, for an Asian themed restaurant, white and brown rice was bordering on being inedible due to being too dry. Lobster drowned in soy sauce was not a savory combination. Although we dined at the first seating on a 4th of July weekend, the restaurant was largely empty into the prime dining time. Price to savoryness of dishes was a mismatch.
- UnderwhelmedJerryHVIPDined on 7/2/2014The ambiance at the Source is stark and plain. Service not friendly, and took way too long between courses. Not worth the money. Do not recommend.Special Features:
- SOURCE: Elegant and luxuriousDrDikDined on 7/1/2014The food was excellent and often intriguing, particularly an exotic appetizer of fish tartare in a mock ice-cream cone. The service was impeccable, with more different servers of different tasks than we could remember. We took a long while to decide on our choices but were given all the time we needed. A scallop and shrimp appetizer was magnificent, as were main dishes of duck and scallops. As a measure of the extent of attention, when I asked for ice for my water I was given a glass of chunks of ice with a pair of tongs, and when I had used up most of that, without my asking, i was given a new glass of ice. We were in a "booth", but conversation from next booth was so loud it made it hard for me and my guest to easily hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningKAL90Dined on 7/1/2014The folks at "The Source" went out of their way to help make my husband's retirement celebration special. They made up a special menu congratulating him on 25 years in the U.S. Army. Additionally, we cannot say enough about how amazingly delicious the food was. We are fairly tough critics when it comes to restaurants and we can honestly say that this evening was one of the best dining experiences we've had in 4 years living in D.C.Special Features:
- Favorite restaurant.DenayaDined on 6/28/2014I have been to The Source three times now - twice for dinner, and once for happy hour. I enjoyed the drinks, the food, and the service every time. If you like dumplings and yummy cocktails, this is the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing experience!silmayDined on 6/28/2014We went to the source for our anniversary and they printed a special menu for us, name and all. The chef provided us with some complimentary appetizers, which were delicious. The dinner itself was also a great experience. All in all, I am so glad I chose the source.Special Features:
- Cuisine Lacked FlavorIBGrubbinDined on 6/28/2014I took my wife to The Source for a belated birthday dinner. While the staff did a lot to make her dinner special (personalized birthday message on her menu, "Happy Birthday" written using the sauce for her dessert, etc.), the most memorable thing for me was my disappointment in the flavor of the food. From a general context, most of the dishes lacked seasoning and were noticeably bland.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014Great service - a little loud because of world cup game, but food service was all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real surprisepam2008Dined on 6/28/2014I did not expect the dim sum offerings to be as subtle and a true to their Asian roots as they we found them to be. We were very pleasantly surprised. Had a delicious brunch and would recommend The Source highly.Special Features:
- first time pleasure!DragonDined on 6/27/2014An out of town great-buddy owed me a dinner for a foolish bet against the mighty Blue Devil basketball team-- so I wanted him--and my special friend and I-- to experience metro dining that was new for all three of us-- price no objective! The "tiny dumplings" are a "must order" to begin the experience. We followed with the sea bass (beautifully presented, worth a photo, although we though that the chili sauce could have been spicier)) and the exceptional bone-in KC strip steak. The desserts... oh yes, save some room. We ordered a couple that I would go many blocks (walking) to re-sample after another night on the town... think three chocolates!Special Features:
- Average overall especially given $LincolnDined on 6/25/2014Given the prices I would have expected far better service. Our server was disinterested at best. Food was pretty good overall but relatively average given the price.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/20/2014A wonderful night, service was stellar all around and the meal was fantastic.Special Features:
- Disapointed in DCKateVIPDined on 6/19/2014After researching fine restaurants on-line, I decided to take my daughter to The Source as we love oriental food and this looked to be an upscale oriental restaurant with a wide variety on their menu. We entered the lounge early in the happy hour where the music was blaring. The host escorted us upstairs where the price was 10x what it was in the lounge with limited selections on the menu. The soft shell crab was so salty and spicy that it was inedible. The salmon was bland. Wish we would have stayed in the lounge and ordered off the bar menu... We have no desire to go back.
- Another terrific lunch spotTameraLVIPDined on 6/19/2014with plenty of light, comfortable seating, and very good food.Special Features:
- jgronerVIPDined on 6/18/2014Quite good but not worth the money or the hype. Excellent but there is too much hype machine for this chef.Special Features:
- lovely dinner at the SourceDinnerDowntownDCDined on 6/14/2014We live on Capitol Hill and had never been to the restaurant, but we had received a gift card and decided to try it out. Husband had scallops, and I had duck! Delicious and beautiful presentation. The portions are generous. I suggest that you ask about spice/hot factor if that is of concern to you. My husband was caught off guard with a couple of sides, which had something HOT in the sauce or the vegetable. We were there before 7 pm for a reservation--so the restaurant was quiet, which we loved. We were seated in a corner by the windows, which was very pleasant. Would like to try outside next time. We thought the wait staff was excellent. No hovering, but also available when needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/13/2014Lovely meal, and great service from a very enthusiastic sommelier.Special Features:
- foodmeVIPDined on 6/11/2014I've been to The Source on a number of occasions. And it is very good (hence, my "very good" rating). But it's main selling point is the Wolfgang Puck name. And they squeeze as much money out of you because of it. While the service is very good, $26 for a plate of drunken noodles -- no matter how delicately put together -- smacks of highway robbery. Go to any good local Thai place, and get the same dish -- maybe not as elegantly plated -- for $11. Or, better yet, go to Asian Spice around the corner and get higher-end Asian dishes, just as good, in the $15-$20 range.
- 7.8/10Dktran31VIPDined on 6/9/2014I had a reservation for 2 @ 7 PM on a Monday. The restaurant was moderately busy to say the most. The service was great, what you would expect from a celebrity chef owned place. We had the tasting menu which consisted of 7 courses and desert ($135 pp.) The first 3 courses were very small. The tuna tartare, salmon and suckling pig were all very good. Courses 4-7 were much larger including a dim sum platter that consisted of 5 different pieces, fried soft shell crab with crab fried rice, roast duck and duck bao, beef and Singapore beef noodles. The duck and beef courses were not that great. For desert, mango sorbet and a desert platter that included ice cream, fudge and the infamous 15 layer carrot cake. Nice place in the city, B+ from me.Special Features:
- Girls LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2014I had a very pleasant lunch with my daughter after a morning in court. The food was delicious and the wine pair perfectly with my food. We will be back in the future.Special Features: