575 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/3941
- Phone: 2026376100x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch (served in our Bar & Lounge):
11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., Saturday
11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., Tuesday – Friday
Closed Sunday & Monday
5:30 p.m. – 10 p.m., Tuesday – Thursday
5:30 p.m. – 11 p.m., Friday & Saturday
Closed Sunday & Monday
Bar & Lounge:
4 p.m. – 11 p.m., Tuesday – Thursday
4 p.m. – 12 a.m., Friday & Saturday
Closed Sunday & Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Scott Drewno
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering information please contact Erica Frank at (202) 637-6106 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
- Special Events: Please contact Erica Frank, Catering Sales Manager, at (202) 637-6106 or email@example.com
A word from The Source
The Source is the first fine dining restaurant in the nation’s capital headlined by Master Chef Wolfgang Puck. Designed by EDG, the three-level restaurant is the signature dining experience at the Newseum, an interactive museum of news. The Source offers two distinct dining experiences as well as a private room located on the lower level that seats up to 40 guests. The ground floor bar and lounge where guests enter offers approachable dining in a casual setting and features a traditional Japanese Izakaya menu offering sushi, sashimi, noodle dishes and authentic "Robata" grilled dishes. Upstairs, guests can enjoy a menu that features Puck’s modern take on Asian cuisine. The Source is the recipient of many awards and accolades including #3 ranking on Washingtonian Magazine's "Top 100 Restaurants" list, "2008 New Restaurant of the Year" Award and "2008 Restaurant of the Year" from DC Magazine plus has received three stars from Washington Post food critic Tom Sietsema.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Source reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (138)special occasion (112)notable wine list (61)romantic (58)great for lunch (50)hot spot (48)good for groups (40)great for brunch (35)neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (20)scenic view (12)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great Name - little wowdowntownfoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014We booked The Source during restaurant week, which comes at its own risk Our lunches, steak salad, salmon, and chicken curry were good, but did not have the wow factor expected. Our first course was good, but, again didnt have a standout that would warrant consideration again in the future. The best item was the carrot cake, it is a must order. At the end of the meal, the check arrive, and it appeared that there was a error with the soft drinks. To inquire we asked the waiter about the check and were informed about the Linguistics/Etymology of the English language and how ordering "at fine dinning restaurants work." The waiter was rude and did not handle the issue, how I would expect at a fine dinning restaurant.
- Very good lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing. The only thing I would change is it took awhile for the food to come out, but otherwise, it was a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Great food - energetic noiseDinArlingtonDined on 8/15/2014Food was fantastic - enjoyed all of it. Noise level was way too much. Interior doesn't have much to it - expected more given the location inside the Newseum and Wolfgang Puck. Odd service approach - asked us if we wanted something to drink but we had to ask to see the menu with the drink options (and specify whether we wanted to look at the cocktail or wine menu).Special Features:
- sleek setting, great foodspinsterkVIPDined on 8/14/2014The place is sleek modern and softly lit despite massive windows. It manages to have clean lines and angles without that annoying cavern echo that afflicts so many restaurants with hard surfaces. The food was sensational. Inventive, flavor drenched and ample. The suckling pig and cherry duck were tender, perfectly cooked with crispy skin and rich moist flesh. The fish dishes were fresh and lightly flavored. Everything cooked and timed perfectly. The carrot cake and chocolate souffle were both outstanding. It was not cheap but well worth the money. We were all very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Source-perfect source of good foodmtpeteDined on 8/14/2014The Source was the perfect spot for lunch. Five of us went for Restaurant Week. We were seated immediately, and were tended to perfectly - no rush whatsoever. The food was absolutely delicious. Little dim sums, one gal had corn soup that was a very healthy serving. Some of us had salmon and the rest had the chicken curry and sticky rice. It was out-of-this-world good. The chocolate dessert and the many-layered carrot cake were tasty. All in all, when we have a special occasion, we will be back. Despite its being a very upscale restaurant, there was no pretense. The service was outstanding. Made us feel very comfortable immediately upon arrival. Looking forward to trying it and eating off the regular menu.Special Features:
- okaydmarDined on 8/14/2014I found the restaurant meal unexciting. Not much flavor. The dessert was good, though.
- Great experienceLJH26Dined on 8/14/2014Food was excellent. Service was attentive without being overwhelming. I will definitely return.
- California GirlCaliforniagirlDined on 8/13/2014This was the first time at The Source and was eager to try as the menu looked pretty good. We decided to just go for a bunch of appetizers (as they all looked so good) and everything was fabulous! They started by bringing over a taster from the chef that was just exquisite, they were followed by the food we ordered - every dish was bursting with unique and delicious flavors. They were so good, we couldn't stop ordering more! The only downside was that it took forever to get our initial drink order in and had to flag down our waiter several other times throughout the night. Other than that, I would definitely go again, but maybe would try the bar which didn't seem as busy as the upstairs restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice lunch.Foodlover25Dined on 8/13/2014Went for restaurant week lunch. I had the salmon and my wife had the chicken. Good portion sizes. Service was attentive. Would like to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit was excellentAbbyDined on 8/13/2014Quiet, clean atmosphere. Big tables, with space in between, makes it easy to have a conversation. Service was efficient but unobstrusive, Really enjoyed the food. Portion size was just right and everything was very tasteful and high quality. Will definitely recomment, and will go there myself.Special Features:
- MediocreDCJoshVIPDined on 8/13/2014Went for restaurant week lunch. Shu mai was almost inedible. Other appetizer and main dishes were better but unexceptional. The desserts were surprisingly good. They originally charged for three teas ($18) for refilling the teapot three times (but not for refiling the iced tea glass) without saying it was not a free refill. (The jasmine tea was very weak and the pot did not contain any tea leaves so they must have filled it from some supply in the back.) Thankfully they took the extra fillings off the bill when challenged (or the service component would have not even rated fair). The room itself was modern, spartan, and uninviting. I wont be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/12/2014Great experience from start to finish. Food was great. Service was great. Hit all of the details to demonstrate what separates an average from very good restaurantI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not this time but...nnewton6Dined on 8/12/2014My recommendation to others would be based on my other experiences at The Source. During this visit, the service was slow for no apparent reason and the food was only ok (I didn't bother finishing the main course). Due to timing constraints, we had to ask for the check when the dessert arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always delcious food at the sourceDCReviewer2013Dined on 8/12/2014came here for restaurant week and the food was fantastic and our server very kind. but outside restaurant week this is still a wonderful place to dine!Special Features:
- DC Restaurant Week the right wayTravellerDined on 8/12/2014I went to The Source for Washington DC Restaurant week and it was excellent. The choice, quality and quantity of appetizers, entrees and desserts was above the norm for what I have experienced at other DC Restaurants. A nice variety of selections and the quality was up to the standard I have come to expect at The Source.Special Features:
- Disappointing mealAngieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I had not been to the Source in quite some time and we were very disappointed in both the level of service and the quality of the food. We went there Saturday night at 9 pm expecting to find some great food and service. It took about 10 minutes before a waiter asked us for a drink. It took about another 15 minutes before he took our order. He did apologize that there were some larger groups there and that service would be slower, but when the food arrived it was overcooked (sea bass was dry and had heavy sauce) and was not delicious. So all around a real disappointment for a not inexpensive meal. The house wine though was good.Special Features:
- Left Disappointed!TroyMacDined on 8/9/2014We have eaten at The Source several times. Based on great past dining experiences, we returned on Sat, Aug 9th. Unfortunately, it wasn't good. Our first problem was when we arrived. Tayshawn (sp?) seated us at a table. We requested a table next to the window, which didn't seem like an unreasonable request given that the restaurant was nearly empty. She told us that only parties of 4 receive window seats. Well, we were a party of 4; but, 2 in our group cancelled. In spite of that, we noticed that 4 other groups of 2 were seated next to the window. On to the food, the 1st course was good. The 2nd course was great. The last course was not good. I'm not sure what happened; but overall, we left very disappointed and don't plan to return.
- TashiVIPDined on 8/9/2014Just when we think Jorge M cannot exceed himself in providing excellent service, he surprises us again! What a wonderful dim sum brunch and made even more special by Jorge's attention. He is in that unique class of servers who are always aware of exactly where each of his tables is in the progression of their meal and he provides just the right touch at the right moment. There is no hovering, but neither are you ever waiting for him to arrive to pour a glass of wine or check to see if there is anything needed. The food is always amazing at The Source, and the service is equally outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bubbles82Dined on 8/9/2014The food was delicious and the presentation was beautiful! I wanted another round of everything we ordered it was so tasty. The service was also incredible - very calm and spacious atmosphere!! I'd highly recommend this!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014We last ate at the Source about two years ago, and we remembered it as a wonderful meal. This time around the food quality was mixed. The appetizers were all terrific, especially the tuna tartar, but also the suckling pig appetizer and the remoulade sauce with the crab cakes. But the main courses were disappointing. The softshell crabs were too salty and greasy even after they very kindly replaced them. The halibut was good but not special, and the sea bass was dramatically served but slightly overdone. Only the duck was really excellent. The service, however, was truly outstanding.
- dim sum!EP34Dined on 8/2/2014The dim sum brunch Is outstanding. The food is beautiful and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014All I have to say is that the food, the ambience, and the customer service is absolutely wonderful!! I recommend you try the raw oysters for an appetizer and the lamb for an entrée. I will most defiantly be visiting again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Break In The DayDCLunchDateDined on 7/31/2014The Source is a great place for a lunch date with the wife giving us a nice break in our busy schedules during the day. The food is great, very nice combination of ingredients, tastes and presentation styles. The service is very good as well, professional and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Time!OpenSourcedDined on 7/26/2014Dinner is usually the prelude to the night, however, during our recent experience, the 7-course chef's special was almost 3 hours of being wined and dined with delicious food and a bottle of delicious Moscato. I will definitely keep The Source on my list of favorite places to eat in DC. ... Now if I would have only got a window seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go To The SourcesadieDined on 7/22/2014What a delight. Friendly warm hostesses greeted us at the door followed by knowledgeable, attentive and smart servers who delivered plates that should have been photographed --- but I'm more interested as to how the flavors meet the palate as to how they look on the plate. Pure delight. Fresh. Flavorful. Light. We were on a time crunch to take in an event at the Newseum which we made with time to spare. Crab cakes are tasty no filler charmers that the grumpiest Maryland Crab Cake snob will approve. Just a notch below my all time favorites from Flaps in Potomac. :( closed years ago. Can't go wrong on this menu. Enjoy.Special Features:
- SuperbLouisDined on 7/22/20143 of us tried the Happy Hour special and ALL 9 plates were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have been better!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014From the moment my wife and I arrived for our 17th wedding anniversary celebration, everything went wonderfully. The service was at hand at all times and the 7-course chef's surprise was absolutely wonderful in presentation, preparation, taste and distinction; almost too much! The staff was knowledgeable, courteous and gave us everything we wanted while also giving us time to ourselves to enjoy the meal and time spent oohing and aahing each course and losing count on how many yet to come. The Source's chef provided one of the better meals either of us have ever enjoyed and made us total converts of excellent Asian cuisine that we look forward to enjoying again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JUST LOVE THIS PLACE!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014First time for Saturday brunch and it exceeded all expectations! Our server, Luis, was simply fabulous, too.Special Features:
- Awesome 5th Anniversary dinnerCusemanDined on 7/18/2014Impecable delicious 7 course tasting menu with wine pairings. The Chef and service were outstanding and greatly impressed a usually picky wife when it comes to food. Each course was exotic looking and able to touch every part of your palate. A must dine for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to love?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014The Source was everything my wife and I hoped it would be, and more. Top notch service, excellent food, great wine options, not packed with tourists or rug rats - perfect! We loved it all. Ask to sit in Lisa's section - she knows the menu backwards and forwards and accommodated our 'we'd like several appetizers served as tapas' request perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HH Food Special!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/17/2014So good. Cocktails were great. We did 6 small plates: Pork Steam Buns - 5 Shrimp and Lobster Spring Rolls - 4 Wok Fried Udon w/ Ox Tail - 5 Tempura Green Beans - 5 Volcano Roll - 4 Crispy Shrimp - 4 All amazing! Go back!Special Features:
- Newseum bonusSDRotarianVIPDined on 7/17/2014Interesting lunch menu with reasonable Rices. Upscale atmosphere and dining patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TashiVIPDined on 7/12/2014A beautiful day for dim sum brunch at The Source. Both the food and the presentation - always amazing. A couple of new items on the menu that we enjoyed - the smoked trout spread on garlic toast was delicious. Service by Jorge was beyond excellent - we received incredible care - thank you Jorge!! No doubt we will return soon since this is one of our very favorite meals in DC.Special Features:
- Certainly Not Improving with timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/10/2014service keeps getting worse and food is just okay.Special Features:
- Great place for dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014I had Friends visiting from out of town. We all like Asian, so this was a perfect restaurant. I loved my duck and the crispy artichokes were fabulous!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/10/2014love the dumplings here. Tastey and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- DC ' s bestGeorgeDined on 7/5/2014Amazing food. Our favorite restaurant in DC. Tuna tartar cones, tiny dumplings, fried artichokes, salmon,lobster, fried rice are all musts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mnakashiVIPDined on 7/3/2014Our party of 3 had, Maine lobster with soy sauce, halibut, and lump crab cakes with remoulade, and vegetables, tofu with a mustard/yogurt dressing. Unfortunately, this Wolfgang Puck restaurant part of the Newseum/condo complex next to the Canadian Embassy is a miss for the following reasons, one person had order two dishes, the last two on the list to assemble a vegetarian meal and most glaring of all, for an Asian themed restaurant, white and brown rice was bordering on being inedible due to being too dry. Lobster drowned in soy sauce was not a savory combination. Although we dined at the first seating on a 4th of July weekend, the restaurant was largely empty into the prime dining time. Price to savoryness of dishes was a mismatch.
- UnderwhelmedJerryHVIPDined on 7/2/2014The ambiance at the Source is stark and plain. Service not friendly, and took way too long between courses. Not worth the money. Do not recommend.Special Features:
- SOURCE: Elegant and luxuriousDrDikDined on 7/1/2014The food was excellent and often intriguing, particularly an exotic appetizer of fish tartare in a mock ice-cream cone. The service was impeccable, with more different servers of different tasks than we could remember. We took a long while to decide on our choices but were given all the time we needed. A scallop and shrimp appetizer was magnificent, as were main dishes of duck and scallops. As a measure of the extent of attention, when I asked for ice for my water I was given a glass of chunks of ice with a pair of tongs, and when I had used up most of that, without my asking, i was given a new glass of ice. We were in a "booth", but conversation from next booth was so loud it made it hard for me and my guest to easily hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.