43 East 20th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elannyc.com/
- Phone: 6466827105x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from élan
élan is a new restaurant by Chef David Waltuck and George Stinson. The menu is the evolution of David Waltuck's groundbreaking cuisine that elevated and sustained Chanterelle as an award-winning restaurant for 30 years. élan emanates an atmosphere that is both sophisticated and full of energy; the service is gracious and smart, yet informal. The restaurant features a spacious front room for cocktails and light fare, a 12-seat bar, and a 48-seat dining room. Casual diners and those seeking more elaborate or special-occasion experiences will be equally welcome. Dinner will be served 7 days a week, lunch will be served 5 days a week, and David's take on weekend brunch will be served Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
élan reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (169)special occasion (92)neighborhood gem (78)hot spot (57)romantic (54)notable wine list (42)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (14)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (7)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- BrilliantjptulsaVIPDined on 9/1/2014What a marvelous neighborhood addition. Although smaller and quieter Elan is a perfect companion to its across the street neighbor Gramercy Tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingannieDined on 8/27/2014We had to wait 30 minutes for our drinks and the restaurant was half empty. Wait service tried to make up for the incompetency at the bar. Food was not what one would expect from a chef of David Watlucks talents. Simply fair.
- Completely underwhelming.Neighborhoodiner1VIPDined on 8/26/2014Despite chef's pedigree, menu items fall into two categories: pedestrian (salad with yogurt) or pretentious (fois gras pops). Presentation is sloppy at every course. Two tiny pretzel rolls were offered to entire table with a glob of mustard butter beside them on a plate. Fish was overcooked and dry and served on big grey mound of inedible risotto. Service is glaringly bad. Our waiter answered our questions with sarcasm and disdain. Do not waste your time or money here. A disaster.
- Cheers for David WaltuckCasaLVIPDined on 8/26/2014Chanterelle was our favorite restaurant for many years, so we were excited to taste David Waltuck's cuisine once again. We were not disappointed. Everything our party of three had was delicious. In particular the zucchini blossoms were the best I have ever tasted; the unusual guacamole with sea urchin roe was brilliant, as was my smoked seared salmon. Although the dining room atmosphere doesn't begin to compare with Chanterelle, we were very happy to be able to enjoy David's cooking once again, and hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elan Hits the Mark!diniVIPDined on 8/25/2014Elan is pure perfection! Everything they do from the greeting at the door to the fabulous, exquisitely prepared food and outstanding service, is sublime and reflects attention to detail. A true culinary feast awaits you here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding!HappyDinerDined on 8/23/2014arrived a few minutes early for our reservation and decided to have a drink at the serene bar. Wonderful cocktail (Martinez) for me, and excellent selection of wines for my wife. At table, service was relaxed and outstanding throughout, and server was really helpful with menu choices. Started with a couple of foie gras "lollipops", seafood sausage, and a summer salad (the Salad Expert says this was the best salad she's had in years!); main courses were more wine, another Martinez, a lamb preparation and a very rich burger! Alas, no room for dessert. Nice to see that David Waltuck not only has returned, but is at the top of his game!Special Features:
- elanromantic elanMargaretVIPDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful venue, more casual than Chanterelle and lovely! Desserts alone are worth reserving a table. The sommelier chose a perfect red wine!Special Features:
- Nice return for Waltuck!SkipBuzzVIPDined on 8/21/2014Loved Waltuck at Chanterelle.....like him even better at a this "casual" venue.....no pretentions!!!! Small but smartly spiffed out restaurant. Cocktails are innovative efforts on classics...very good. Zucchini blossoms and Tomato/Watermelon gazpacho w/ lobster and pancetta were outstanding as were the duck mixed grill and mackerel entrees. Wine list nicely varied and well priced. Desserts are very good. Highly recommended. Place gets full but sound level OK. Service is way below Chanterelle level but with time I think this will get corrected.....not bad but rather sloppy and too casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014The service was excellent and most of the food was great. A few dishes were on the bland side but everything was wonderful.
- Did not disappointLas1028VIPDined on 8/19/2014My expectations were high and they certainly were met. The food was delicious, with subdued inventive twists and flavor profiles. My only complaint is that the entrée did take longer to arrive than it should have at this caliber of a restaurant. Otherwise, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- wonderful food, quiet eleganceDougRVIPDined on 8/19/2014It's always nice to receive a warm & friendly welcome. I had skipped lunch to go early (at 5:30 opening) to Elan to try the now famous Duck & Foie Gras burger. I wasn't disappointed. It was a delight of layered flavors in one burger & the crunchy roasted potatoes were a perfect textural contrast to the luscious duck. The main dining room is minimalist modern but still warm & inviting. The service was excellent, helpful & friendly. I'll be back for more than the burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful menumhill157Dined on 8/17/2014We found the menu, especially the starters, to be exceptional; we would have been happy to order the entire appetizer menu...and more than one serving of the sea urchin guacamole (with outstanding chips) for sure. The duck and foie gras burger was exceptional, melt in your mouth good; the stone fruit sundae was the perfect summer treat. We celebrated a family birthday, and everyone enjoyed the experience. Kudos for the cocktail menu too and to our lovely server, who was friendly, informative and always attentive. The only disappointment was the chicken pot pie, which looked great but tasted ordinary. And the decor was bland. But with food this good, we really didn't care what the room looked like.Special Features:
- Chef Waltuck is back!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Went for a brunch celebration. 3 outstanding dishes: General Tso's sweetbreads, duck hash, and duck burger. Will definitely return for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Nothing SpecialLandofLakesVIPDined on 8/17/2014It seems clean and has the feel of a short order dinner. Sparkling water is free if you can only remind the staff to refill your glass. Best to make sure salt and pepper is on the table before the food comes as your food will be cold before it arrives. Staff seems cheerful but clueless.
- Brunch was underwhelmingamg815VIPDined on 8/16/2014Restaurant is beautiful, and service was very nice. Went for brunch and it was largely empty. Food was underwhelming. Not bad especially, but a bit greasy. Also came out lukewarm. Pricing was comparable to elsewhere of this caliber - $16 for a main and $4 for coffee. Probably wouldn't go back for brunch.
- Civilised adult restaurant.BeentwiceVIPDined on 8/15/2014Everything was great. No complaints. Food and service both very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonnieVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food at Elan is mostly wonderful: seafood sausage, stuffed zucchini blossoms, sweetbreads plus the delicious pretzel with mustard butter-- all the tops. The mackerel, ordered for the second time, disappointed. the sauce must have been changed and this sauce did not enhance the fish. Although there is enough staff, our waiter was more pleasant than efficient and the kitchen was incredibly slow. An hour and 15 minutes to be served a main course is too long. The Manhattan did not resemble any Manhattan I have ever had--and not in a good way. Still, we will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryVIPDined on 8/14/2014This is a serious restaurant with a creative chef who uses fresh and unusual ingredients. (Where else can you find sea urchin guacamole.). The issue is there is a heaviness to many offerings (fettuccine with sea scallops cooked in duck fat).Special Features:
- Perfect ExperienceDiscerningDinerDined on 8/14/2014We were a party of four and excited that David Waltuck had returned to the restaurant scene. Everything was great and certain dishes stood out as absolutely exceptional. The seafood sausage continues to be in a league of its own as were the General Tso's sweetbreads. Is there another way to prepare guacamole other than with sea urchin? The duck breast was extraordinary and the chef nailed it on the Tea Smoked Salmon with crisp skin- as perfectly prepared fish as I've eaten. It's implanted in my brain. Wow on the duck fat hash browns. The wine list included reasonable selections which paired well with the food and the service was engaging and professional. Too stuffed for dessert. Remarkable after only six; sky's the limit.Special Features:
- amazing mealEdwardVIPDined on 8/13/2014It's a very cute, comfortably small dining area that is serviced by wonderful waitstaff. Our waiter timed his visits to our table perfectly so he was around just when we needed him and inquired about our food at the appropriate moments. And the food is really terrific. I was not aware of the menu so it was full of great choices in seafood and it had a slightly Asian flair to the dishes, which I liked. My friend had a lamb dish which looked exquisite -- and she wiped her plate clean! -- and I had a salmon dish that was equally delicious. One other thing - I ordered wine by the glass and the waiter gave me a good pour to each glass, which I appreciate. Totally worth a visit!Special Features:
- great new restaurantCamilleVIPDined on 8/10/2014I learned it's just opened, so I'd like to give it a try. We ordered the smoked salmon and lamb loin as entry. They are really delicious and we are very pleased. As for appertizer, we ordered the famous seafood sausage, uni guacamole, plus the sake and soy cured beef. I have to say the seafood sausage has not much taste, can't taste sake and soy on the cured beef, but it's tastier than the sausage. We'd love to come back to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the Food,The Room not so muchJannVIPDined on 8/9/2014The Food. Pretzel rolls & mustard butter was a palate stimulator. Farm radishes with cumin vinaigrette was fresh, bright & crunchy. Duck fois gras burger was unctuous and rich. Striped Bass disappointed a bit, the brown sauce overwhelmed the flavor of the fish-it could have been any white fish, the accompaniments of potato chips with sage leaves & perfectly cooked snow peas save the dish. The Room was stark with bare white painted brick walls with 3 gold veined rectangular mirrors. Instead some large art photos black & white or color on the walls would have helped.
- Exceptional ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/8/2014We made a 10:45 p.m. reservation on a Friday evening (from a Broadway Theater); then fought our way to Gramercy, thru a packed Time Square, to make our reservation. We flung ourselves through the door, breathless, frazzled at 10:58 p.m., and were greeted by a smiling host, who welcomed me by name. We were swiftly seated, in the modern dining room, at the perfect corner table. A cadre of servers took our drink order, brought menus, water and something to nibble on. Okay, they had sold out of the dish I wanted (Sea Scallops & Fettuccine), but the seared "tea-rubbed" salmon I had was a delightful alternative. Throughout, the service was impeccable. Oh, and the bar area offers a fun, open air view onto East 20th Street. Well done, Elan!Special Features:
- Very good dining experienceNKR1978Dined on 8/8/2014Had the pleasure of a very good meal in a beautiful restaurant. The service and atmosphere were outstanding. The food was very good. The seafood sausage was much lighter than it looked and was very tasty. We were somewhat disappointed with the raw oysters as they were served slightly colder than room temperature. The guacamole was good. I absolutely loved the mackerel entree and my friend loved the bass. The cherry sundae was a great way to end the meal. The whole staff from the hostess to the bartenders and our waiter were great. All were friendly and they all seemed really excited about the restaurant. Great service more than makes up for any minor issues with the food and I hope to go back to élan agin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive cooking, huge portionsbenjaminVIPDined on 8/8/2014As a fan of Waltuck's cooking since his Chanterelle days, I have been anticipating the opening of Élan for some time. It's great to see some relaxed, unrestrained dishes emerge from the kitchen. However, portions are in my opinion too large, and service, though good overall, could be less pretentious. Atmosphere is pleasantly comfortable. The seafood sausage brought over from Chanterelle is superb, and the sea urchin guacamole is wonderfully inventive--perfect for the adventurous diner.Special Features:
- Nice food, disappointing servicedeb307VIPDined on 8/7/2014We had a great corner table. We didn't know it made us invisible to our waiter. The food was very good, and we will try the place again under the assumption that the service will improve with time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/7/2014Mixed green salad fairly tasteless and mediocre Lamb overlooked with what tasted like hamburger meat you'd put on tacos Nice ambience and great bartender were saving grace Unbelievable given chefs pedigree
- Elan is no ChanterellepheasantVIPDined on 8/7/2014Wow what a disappointment for a David Waltuck endeavor. While the food was good, the service was horrendous. The wine list incomplete and insufficient (not ONE big buttery chardonnay). We sat for 15 mins before anyone even asked us for a drink order. We waited for another 15 minutes for the drinks to arrive. And then they forgot to give us the complimentary pretzels (which are a highlight) and we had to ask for them when we saw them at the next table.....extremely disappointing especially to former Chanterelle devotees.Special Features:
- First ClassOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/6/2014For many years the chef has known what he's doing. We missed Chanterelle, and now there's a extraordinary, creative dining experience at élan. I can't think of a thing that could have been better, except that our neighbors were a bit close and a bit loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So very so so!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/5/2014Food was just OK but the service was awful! We had an early reservation and the restaurant was almost empty but no one came to take a drink order, we had to flag down someone. When the drinks finally came, i ordered a glass of champagne and was not offered a taste before he poured, it was warmer than it should have been and when i said something he said well it's been on ice for hours although the refrigerator was out earlier! When a glass was finished no one asked if we would like another and water glasses were never refilled. Would not go back which is so sad because we always looked forward to his food but now it seemed very ordinary.
- Food:A+;Service BHowardVIPDined on 8/5/2014The food, as I expected, was excellent. I had the famous seafood sausage, sweetbreads, and fine cheese. Service shows growing pains. Servers were very friendly but seemed to be learning job. There were three of us, but for one course dishes were delivered to the wrong persons. We had to wait for our sparkling wine to be served; refrigerator had been broken since the previous evening. Alternative arrangements should have been in place. Restaurant certainly has great potential.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/3/2014Delicious duck/foie burger and excellent smooshed potatoes!Special Features:
- RebeccaOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2014First class dining experience, warm and attentive service, and the food is superb! Succulent seafood sausage, huge duck fat hash brown, buttery chicken pot pie that two people can share and the pretzel starter with mustard seed butter....mmmm!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!!!!DemandingDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Given the pedigree of those involved, I had high expectations, and they were exceeded in every respect. Wonderful menu and flawless execution make you want to return until you have had the opportunity to sample everything. Polished, knowledgeable and friendly service (many on leave from Maysville) add to the experience, as does the newly revived dining room. Fresh and appealing - it perfectly sets the tone for all that is to follow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come for the full experienceMisterDDined on 8/1/2014A proper formal establishment with employees well trained in their craft. William provides a great beverage recommendation based on your preferences. The sea Urchin Guacamole for a starter and the General Tso's Sweet breads as an entree must not be missed!Special Features:
- A Sparkling New GemdiniVIPDined on 8/1/2014Elan hits all the right notes. Having totally redone the Veritas space, making it more intimate and warmer, the former Chantarelle chef is whipping up magic once again. The seafood sausage was fabulous, the guacamole and chips, excellent, the striped sea bass was sublime. And, don't miss the cherry sundae! Nothing about Elan disappoints. We will be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad to have them back....HugodoggieVIPDined on 7/31/2014This place is like nothing else out there. Sophisticated food yet approachable. Warm service, absolutely top notch. The cocktail was perfectly crafted, the little warm pretzel with mustard butter we were given was a great way to start. The crisp hash browns in duck fat is a must. All the main courses were loved by my fellow diners. I just did not like the main course I chose, which was lobster tortelloni. The dough was too thick and it did not taste like lobster at all. That main course was the only false step in a otherwise superb dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elan Has What It TakesFoodie29VIPDined on 7/31/2014From the perfect Negroni to the fabulous sweetbreads to the amiable yet efficient service, Elan is a great addition to NYC's restaurants.Special Features:
- great service - exciting foodGormay13VIPDined on 7/31/2014After a wobbly table and an incident with a moth our cocktails were on the house and our night just kept getting better. Two very well made drinks, the habanero one my friend had and the amaro one that I had. The sea urchin guacamole is a must. The duck burger and general tso's sweetbreads were lacking salt, but the snow pea leaves made up for it. The chocolate dessert and the cherry/almond dessert were both delicious. Nice selection of wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Élan has lots of élanJulesDined on 7/30/2014Food is very sophisticated but not fussy. Terrine and seafood sausage superb. A ver pleasant place to be in. Service impeccable.Special Features: