39 East 19th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boccanyc.com/
- Phone: 2123871200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: James Corona
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bocca
On June 25th, 2007, Alessandro Peluso together with his friends and family, opened the doors of Bocca with a celebration and an evening of food and wine. This Roman restaurant has been bustling with patrons ever since. Our Chef James Corona is excited to offer a roster of creative Roman dishes to New Yorkers. Chef James uses only imported Italian DOP (protected designation of origin) products and is a proud supporter of the Union Square Green Market. Our meals are complimented by an extensive wine list, an elegant and cozy yet casual dining environment, and a friendly and courteous wait staff.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bocca reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (18)romantic (15)notable wine list (14)special occasion (12)good for groups (10)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013When my group of Ladies go out, we are a very critical bunch. This restaurant passed all our criteria! The food was fabulous, the service was wonderful and I have nothing negative to say about it.Special Features:
- Never disappointed!labellasenoraVIPDined on 12/10/2013This as always is a great place to have lunch. I work around the corner, so love the convenience and wonderful food.Special Features:
- Boccalmiller1023Dined on 12/3/2013I went to Bocca with my girlfriend and two other couples. It was a great night all around. We started with drinks at the bar - I highly recommend the basil cocktail on the cocktail menu. The braised short rib was excellent and everyone else loved their food as well. Our waiter was extremely courteous and attentive. Overall it was a great night!Special Features:
- Regular Dining SpotVittorioDined on 11/28/2013This is a restaurant that I frequent for special occasions and for regular events as well. The service is friendly and quick, and the food overall is spot on. I especially like the fact that this is an authentic Italian restaurant that keeps true to not only Roman cuisine that can be found in Italy, but with regional dishes from throughout Italy. Also, they use locally sourced organic products from the Farmer's market in Union Square, as well as imported goods direct from Italy, so the ingredients are of the highest quality, which is important for those who take their food seriously. Finally, I am always pleased with the wine choices. They really compliment the dishes well and make for an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksgivingBistrofanVIPDined on 11/28/2013Thanksgiving out in the city with my wife and 2 teenage daughters. I came across Bocca and seemed interesting given the particular eating preferences of my kids. A 4 course option was available including Butternut Squash soup (VG), pumpkin risotto (Outstanding), turkey and vegetables (good) and pumpkin cheesecake for dessert (VG). They allowed my daughter to substitute for the turkey given her preferences and to switch dessert options. My fife had a fish option that she enjoyed. The service was attentive , professional but not over the top.Special Features:
- La VERITA di Ristorante BOCCAFANNYDined on 11/28/2013In a word- WOW! The decor and ambiance was beautiful, private- even among other tables. The friendliness of both owner, and especially our waiter, Francesco- OUTSTANDING! Took my mom and son there for Thanksgiving. The caesar salad with kale and thinly sliced white anchovies, the pumpkin risotto, carpaccio, pumpkin and goat cheese ravioli, and turkey breast were DELISH! But the most incredible to me was the classic Cacio e pepe dish I ordered which was served to me straight out of a perfectly carved out circle within a Parmesan wheel almost bigger than me- AMAZING! Francesco, who straight from Italy spoke perfect English and Spanish - we can only say-Grazie per l'attenzione, professionalità e cortesia. Lei è un incredibile cameriere! -FMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trip to Roma!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/25/2013Great, authentic dining in a warm & friendly space. The service is very accomodating - and the excellent menu is a compilation of Roman favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Place ... Lackluster foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2013The decor/ambiance and service are really great, but the food was so mediocre and expensive!! The meatballs and pasta came out super quickly (sounds like a plus, right? Guess again) - they were room temperature and the inside of the meatball was cold! When we went, we had the special salad as an appetizer and that was the best thing we had. I really want to like this place because all the employees were very sweet and attentive, but the food was overpriced and not very tasty - or warm!Special Features:
- Favorite pasta in the cityMissClaireVIPDined on 11/14/2013If you go for no other reason than the table-side pasta tossed inside a big beautiful bowl made entirely of cheese, you'll be in heaven. Ambiance is mediocre, waitstaff adequate, pasta is off the charts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic findMikeVIPDined on 11/4/2013Everyone raved about their food selections from the Pork special tasting menu to the perfectly prepared veal chop. The gnocchi was fantastic as well. We were a group of 9 people. Everyone was impressed with the food and the service. Great wine selections by the glass. Reasonably priced. All in all a fantastic find. My wife and I will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Food as usual very goodHHellerVIPDined on 11/3/2013We often go on Sunday for the half price wine. Pasta always really good.Special Features:
- We had a very nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/2/2013We had a very nice experience at Bocca. The food we delicious, the service was friendly and attentive and the atmosphere was relaxing and conducive to sitting and talking. Unfortunately, there were several attempts to clear our plates quickly so as to move our meal along and we had to request that the staff allow us to take our time.Special Features:
- BoccaDavidschuVIPDined on 11/1/2013This was our first visit hear but it won't be the last. First rate food in a pleasant but not elegant setting. We were very happy with our food, including both specials for the day, and a fine server who steered us to a very good moderately priced wine. It was kind of noisy as the room is not large, but we were OK with that. People were having a good time. Excellent cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemAlannaDined on 10/31/2013I'm not sure why this place isn't packed every evening. The food and service are outstanding and the staff is friendly and fun. Selfishly, I'm not complaining, because it means I never need a reservation! But Bocca is one of my go-to Italian restaurants in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent A personalOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2013Always Excellent A personal favorite, "tamarind" always lives up to ou expectations. The staff is unfailingly attentive and the food is always excellent. It has become our "go to" location for entertaining visitors from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lovely DinnerParticularPalleteDined on 10/25/2013Our group of three all went for the fish here. My salmon with olives and grilled fennel was superb. My daughter liked her bass special but didn't rave about it. Her friend enjoyed the rare tuna with couscous. (Delicious bread, too.) The staff steered us to two excellent wines, starting with a very smooth red at the bar. Our very obliging waiter could not have been more helpful or pleasant. The hostess held our reservation when we notified her that we were running late. The atmosphere, decor, and lighting of this small restaurant are quite winning: warm and quietly elegant but without imposing the need to dress up too much on the guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okmptastoriaDined on 10/19/2013We choose this restaurant because it was close to the movie theater and were not wowed with it...service at the bar was ok..we had to carry our own drinks to the table..food came super fast dindt give us time to relax and enjoy each portion..the octopus app was fantastic...the beet salad was just blah needed some crunch or more of it..the pumpkin ravioli was a little runny..weren't that impressed so we skipped dessert..waiter was fine kept coming over to ask how things were..
- Nice and QuietMamaZDined on 10/18/2013The service was very slow, even though our Italian server was charming. Food was tasty, but portions seemed a little small.Special Features:
- Modern Italin CuisinesbgdinerDined on 10/16/2013Some modern twists on traditional dishes including "oven roasted strawberries" on an arugula salad. Our meat eating group loved the short ribs and the papperdelle with lamb was rich and tasty. Our server was attentive and very helpful in choosing a wine to go with the meal. The vibe was relaxed on a Wednesday night--all the better for catching up with old friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We took our teenagers hereHelenDined on 10/12/2013We took our teenagers here for dinner one night while in the city. They both had an amazing pasta dish served tableside in an enormous wheel of cheese. Glad the dish was so good -- because the other menu items either incorporated ingredients they wouldn't eat or were just too complicated for their palates. My husband and I delighted in the rest of the menu -- pasta with a lamb ragu was delicious! We had a lovely bottle of wine and enjoyed a quiet evening actually talking to our children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly empty roomlunchat1Dined on 10/9/2013Bocca has a very nice lunch deal and it's a handsome restaurant. I imagine that it fills up at the end of the day for drinks and dinner. It was pretty empty when my friends and I had lunch there. The special $9 sandwiches are perfectly fine and one of my companions said her grilled vegetable sandwich was better than a more expensive one she had had elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTnodivaVIPDined on 10/6/2013Like the fairly tale, Goldie Locks and the Three Bears... this restaurant was not too big, not to small, but just right in every way! I love the menu selection. It was all familiar, but with prepared and presented in a special way. It was difficult to choose what to eat, since there was so many tempting choices. If you're lucky enough to live in the area, it would definitely be your go-to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite!Lesleya1VIPDined on 10/5/2013We hadn't been here in several months, but it was as if we had returned home! The food was amazing (as usual!) and the service warm and friendly. Bocca continues to be one of our go-to restaurants for a dependably delicious meal!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good. Not that special.BuddyVIPDined on 9/28/2013Food was good. Not that special. Noise level was over the top.
- an enjoyable evening all-around. oukaukau21Dined on 9/22/2013an enjoyable evening all-around. our waiter was wonderful; staff was great....food was like finding a neighborhood gem on the side streets of Milano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely.happyclamDined on 9/22/2013A friend was in from out of town. We went to Bocca on recommendation and are glad we did. Carnivores, vegetarians, and the lone kid were all happy with their entrees: pasta with house-made sausage, salmon, pasta with beet pesto, classic spaghetti with red sauce. The mood was great. While being a good spot for couples, they were still understanding about kids who are still very much kids.Special Features:
- Fabulous Anniversary PartyNYCFoodLoverVIPDined on 9/21/2013We took over the entire space to celebrate a special anniversary. The evening was perfect. From the moment my guests walked in and had their coats taken care of, to the passed hors d'ouvers, to the flowing wine, to the plentiful choices for dinner, to the extraordinary service and the lovely room. If you need a place in NYC to have a private dinner party look no further. The night was simply wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden Gem near Union SquareFranDined on 9/17/2013I love the Italian food and the service and the ambience at the BOCCA. This gem of a restaurant also has the best lunch prix -fixe menu in town!Special Features:
- Love everything on the menu!dinerintheroughDined on 9/14/2013Love everything on the menu! Can't go wrong, and it offers gluten-free pasta for those that need it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went there for a businessOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2013I went there for a business lunch and it was a nice surprise. The Lunch Prix Fix menu was a good value - salad or soup, entree, and dessert for under $20. The pace in between courses was done well and the portions were perfect for mid-day eating. I would recommend ordering a pasta dish over the other entree listings. Overall: 3/5Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bocca is The Best!!!!!FranDined on 9/3/2013Why don't more diners know about Bocca? The Italian food is delicious, the ambience and service are great and it offers the best lunch time specials for only $9—yes, I said $9!!!—in addition to a scrumptious $17 three-course prix fixe lunch menu. With Bocca, there simply is no reason for all those other restaurants in the Union Square and Flatiron district!Special Features:
- Nice relaxing dinnerMikeWVIPDined on 8/31/2013Although the restaurant was almost empty for our Labor Day dinner, the food and service were excellent My wife and I both enjoyed the pasta dishes we had. Service was very unobtrusive, we didn't feel rushed at all. Our only complaint was that we had to ask for new plates after sharing our salad and before sharing the eggplant timbale. Would definitely recommend and look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PastaRONSVIPDined on 8/29/2013great pasta, consistently good, fresh salads, service is very good and prices are incredibly reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmm mmmm mmmmOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2013third time here and the food is awesome and great service!! Definitely going back....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately, a gentlemenmidtownVIPDined on 8/23/2013Unfortunately, a gentlemen at the next table was extremely loud but since they were having desert, we didn't say anything, but I can't imagine no one else hadSpecial Features:
- Ate outdoors - this ratingRossiniVIPDined on 8/17/2013Ate outdoors - this rating is really of the street noise at the time. Four different pastas, all first rate. Service very pleasant. Will certainly return, and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful little placeRickyon24Dined on 8/15/2013Very friendly service. Food was great and our entire party of five was pleased with their Restaurant Week special dishes. Wonderful little place and we'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow down. You move too fast!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2013Even though there were many open tables we felt rushed despite telling the waiter we wanted to take our time Our cheese was delivered after our salads. When we asked for it first we ordered 3 pasta dishes and was going order several meat dishes but it can out just as we finished our salads. The table side spaghetti was excellent. The ravioli was very aldente and room temperature. And the gnocchi was average at best. From sitting down to paying our check was 45 mins. We left to go and find desert so we could enjoy our guests company. We would give it one more try before giving upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service & exciting dishesBigDaddy71Dined on 8/9/2013I went to Bocca because of Restaurant Week, but I will return because of the many attributes that Bocca exudes. We were attended to by a professional wait staff, friendly owners, and a staff that did not hover over you, but were attentive. There were some varietal choices off of their Restaurant Week dinner menu, and there was something for everyone. The wine list was a little on the higher priced side, but their cocktails and wine "by-the-glass" worked for us. We will be back and enjoyed our initial foray into the world of Bocca!!!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2013We went during Restaurant Week. They offered a nice selection of food courses that were delicious. Portion size on pasta dishes were a bit small but the flavors were very satisfying. Great tiramisu. Very attentive wait staff.Special Features: