George Martin The Original
65 North Park Avenue
Rockville Centre, NY 11570Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
George Martin The Original
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.georgemartingroup.com/
- Phone: 5166787272x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday-Friday 12:00pm-3:00pm Dinner Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Holt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our accomplished staff is available to cater a party in your home.
- Private Party Facilities: George Martin's dining room is available for private parties Saturday and Sunday from 11:30am - 4:30pm for a maximum of 120 guests. A separate party room is available every day and night for a maximum of 55 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl Sullivan 5166787272x
A word from George Martin The Original
A genuine American Bistro, at George Martin The Original the emphasis is on prime steaks, chops and seafood. The mood is lively and upbeat with a casual, yet sophisticated atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
George Martin The Original - Best Restaurants in Rockville Centre ›
George Martin The Original reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (93)special occasion (59)fit for foodies (50)good for groups (50)vibrant bar scene (37)hot spot (33)romantic (28)notable wine list (28)great for lunch (27)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (14)great for brunch (6)Show More
- Still good after all these yearsBLEVYDined on 5/31/2014Bern going here for a long time. Stope for a while because of the noise and over crowded dining room but now that they opened a second room we are coming again and it's greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentjj427Dined on 5/30/2014This was my second time at George Martin and I was very pleased with the food and the service. Will definitely be one of the restaurants I plan to frequent.Special Features:
- ChristineDined on 5/29/2014I have been here many times and am never disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatfineVIPDined on 5/26/2014Can always count on G. Martin...Nice menu(served artfully) delicious bread basket(love the Popovers!) brought hot! They Honor your reservation....& have a nice,efficient wait staff!Special Features:
- tricheDined on 5/26/2014The food was excellent! I had veal as did our guests, and my husband had filet mignon.... cooked perfectly. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu is a bit HEAVY for meKimiVIPDined on 5/24/2014The menu at George Martin has definitely changed more to a heavy prepared meal as opposed to light grill items, fish, chicken, etc. While they were accommodating with our special requests, I don't think we will be back soon.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceyummyeatsDined on 5/24/2014I haven't eaten here in years and was very pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent and has definitely improved. Service was excellent and we had a very nice evening. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerLuv2dineVIPDined on 5/23/2014Had a great dinner the other night. The waiter Rob was very knowledgable of the menu and considerable of my allergy. The restaurant was loud but the food was delicious. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable ExperienceDelectableDined on 5/21/2014Very good. Left enough time to enjoy the food without gulping it down. Service pleasant and attentive. Pricy. Food very nicely prepared with attractive appeal. Friendly atmosphere.Special Features:
- The following 644 reviews are from the George Martin The Original reviews archive.
- Enjoyable EveningMontaukmadnessDined on 5/17/2014Made our reservations online. Food and service were excellent. I did mention in my reservation that we were two couples celebrating our 47th anniversary and was disappointed that no one read the notation or congratulated us. More attention should be paid to the reason for dining at their restrauant. However, that be said we had a very enjoyable meal. Shrimp appetizers yummy. Pretzel coated salmon was a hit. Steak perfect.There was an allergy situation and it was taken care of very professionally. Our friends enjoyed dining there and we would definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Stand-byQballDined on 5/17/2014We've been to GM many, many times and as always they do not disappoint. Great food, service, atmosphere. Steaks, seafood all fantastic !Special Features:
- NOISEDinerVIPDined on 5/14/2014Love the place, love the food, love the service, hate the level of noise.Special Features:
- Mother's Day ExperienceHappyCamperDined on 5/11/2014This was the first time at George Martin's and it was Mother's Day. We were very pleased with all aspects of the dining experience. They responded positivly to our request to have a seating with as much room as they could manage since my elderly parents needed it to navigate. The food was well prepared according to our requests and the service was timely and courteous. It was a bit pricy but we knew that going in. If a special occasion is needful of a fine place this is it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's dayDianeDined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful time here on Mother's day. Good menu-not too limited, as so many restaurants do on holidays. Our server (I think her name was Mary) was very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and food prep-so important as we had one guest with shellfish allergies. This wa not our first time at this restaurant, and it definitely will not be our last. It's always a pleasurable experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedFamily5Dined on 5/11/2014After previously enjoying a celebration at the former Douglaston restaurant we booked the "Original" to celebrate Mother's Day with family including two grand-mothers. While service staff were wonderful we found the entree's bland and lacking flavor. This includes steaks, ribs and Lobster Mac. Each diner ranging in age 17 and up spoke of the bland, flavor-less meats, potatoes and sides. One fish entree was tasty out of seven diners. The appetizers were all very tasty and well prepared, we enjoyed the pretzel & brie, fried green tomato's, while the calamari was okay it also lacked flavor and was a bit chewy. Overall, a disappointment from our original George Martin experience.Special Features:
- An excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014We ate here to celebrate an occasion, and the food and service were excellent. My only criticism is that I think the side dish portions (rice in my case) could have had a little larger portion... there is something about using a huge plate with your food only taking up the center that upsets me visually and I think a little more would have been good....not a lot (or I guess a smaller plate) But everything we had was delicious and the service was great. Our reservations worked out perfectly.Special Features:
- yumspots25VIPDined on 5/9/2014great meeting place. location perfect. i had the fish special that was so great! can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatSabrina1Dined on 5/4/2014I really enjoyed the food, and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service around!luv2eatoutVIPDined on 5/1/2014If you are looking for great service and great food, GM The Original, is the right place. The menu is creative, the wait staff attentive and atmosphere energetic. The managers ensure that it all runs seamlessly. It is a great spot for special occasions or simply a burger and a beer when you get off the train. GM is clearly a shoe-in for the most popular restaurant in RVC.
- Fabulous as everdiningwithfriendsDined on 5/1/2014When I want to dine out, I look at menus that are creative and sound appealing. George Martin, the original is always in my top picks. I have never been disappointed in dining there. It gets really busy so I tend to dine on the earlier side. Service is always terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week FindToochDined on 4/30/2014I've always been intrigued by GM and love his other restaurants so restaurant week seemed like an opportune time to try without breaking the bank. The service was amazing. The staff was very friendly and beyond accomodating. The food was great. Best thing I've ever eaten? No. I definitely think the food could have been more flavorful but the portion sizes and quality of food was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week GemLuv2dineVIPDined on 4/30/2014We ate at George Martin during Restaurant week and we were pleasantly surprised by the abundance of items on their RW menu. The portions are great, the service was excellent (as usual) and the place was buzzing. I couldn't have asked for a better RW meal. It will be hard to top this menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2014this was my first time there with my honey and it was very nice and thay had great serves ill be back soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014Definitely a good find in the neighborhood. Food very good, presentation nice. Not too noisy. Service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Our family enjoyed dinner. Server was awesome. Food very, very, very good. Glad we got to experience this restaurant. Would return, however not "dying" to return as soon as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nc01jl47lDined on 4/26/2014Our waitress, Jennifer, needs to be singled out for her warm personality, patience and attentiveness. She is a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Sunday DinnerBoomerDined on 4/20/2014Three of us dined at GM on Easter Sunday. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. The food preparation and presentation was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Easter!Luv2dineVIPDined on 4/20/2014My family and I made a reservation for Easter Sunday. We were placed in the side car dining room at a cozy yet roomy table. The server was attentive to all our needs and knowledgable about their recently updated menu. The lamb chops and steaks were cooked to perfection while the chicken was succulent. The friendly manager even found a couple of minutes on a busy Easter Sunday to stop by our table, introduce himself and to see how our meal was going. George Martin has been a staple of rockville center for over 20 years and it's apparent why. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GenericLionDined on 4/19/2014Wasn't impressed with the entrees; fish was chewy and the braised beef tasted recycled. I could have been due to our late, last minute reservation. But on a positive not the appetizers were good, calamari and the shrimp poppers excellent the braise beef tacos hmmm ok. Neither myself nor my wife finished or had the desire to finish either entree.Special Features:
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Going to George Martin for dinner was not a great choice. The restaurant is an expensive one and we felt that the service was fair to poor. It was not crowded and we felt we paid a lot of money and di not get the service.
- Pleasant SurpriseMartyVIPDined on 4/5/2014Very good food; great popovers; accommodating & friendly service; lively (perhaps too much so). The "Sidecar Room" in the rear is considerably "quieter" than the bar room. Also nice: complementary strawberries & cookies after the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently awesomeJeffVIPDined on 4/5/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Their newer room (the side car), solves the energetic noise level in the main party of the restaurant. Our server was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was a pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2014This restaurant was a pleasant surprise. Their Spring Menu was being introduced on the day we were there and our waitress informed us all the new dishes. The food was really quite good and surprisingly the prices were reasonable. The friendly hostess even stopped by to ask what we thought of the new menu as well. Definitely a place worth visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service made up for mealbettycan013Dined on 3/27/2014Our appetizers and salads were amazing. However, when it came to our entrees, I was disappointed with mine, to say the least. I ordered the rib eye steak and would recommend that you absolutely NOT order it. My friends each ordered the filet mignon and the evening's pasta special. Both of which were very tasty. Our server was excellent.Special Features:
- The Original GMArtiePDined on 3/25/2014My recommendations says it all. Great Food, Great Service. Makes eating out an enjoyment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American comfort farePAAAZDined on 3/24/2014This restaurant may not be the trendiest place on the block after 20+ years, but it's consistently good. I love the Mac and cheese add on option to my steak. The appetizers are always my favorite part of the meal so I definitely recommend the seared tuna loin wrapped in wonton and also the spicy shrimp. We weren't going to get dessert cause we were stuffed but the waitress suggested a mini (which was still rather large) Haagen Dazs brownie sundae. Glad we found the room for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CritiqueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014The restruant was very loud. Food was good overall. Pop overs are incredible and a great way to start off. Menu was varied and well explained. Drinks were great. Dessert unfortunately was lack luster. I had the brownie sundae. The brownie was dry and tasteless and it neede some type of nuts to finish off the dish. I brought friends there to try it out. The felt the same. We will be back, perhaps we'll have dessert elsewhere. The service was very good. We were a party of 6, the waitress was sweet and good natured and accommodated all of our requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- martini good after that downOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014martini good after that down hill food needed flavor
- Why make a reservation?Terzub8Dined on 3/1/2014Second time I made a reservation and had to wait over a half hour past my reservation time to be seated. Their is no waiting room, so we were crammed into the corner of the bar, again. If they can't have your table ready on time, they shouldn't take reservations.
- Too Crowded, No room to mooveamyblinkDined on 3/1/2014We looked forward to our meal at George Martin's. We were going out with 3 other couples for a Saturday night dinner. The restaurant was so jam packed that you were pressed into people while waiting to be seated. It was physically uncomfortable. Our reservations were for 7:30. When we arrived, they said the table was being cleared for us. By 8:00, they were setting the table for us. The wait was way too long without getting clear information on our seating time. The dinner was fair. It took a very long time to get refills on drinks and hard to find our waitress. The place is very popular but I would not go back there due to the crowded entry, long wait with reservations and poor service.Special Features: