Vlora Bar and Restaurant
545 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Vlora Bar and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vloraboston.com/
- Phone: 6176389699x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday-Sunday from 11 am until closing; daily brunch is served from 11am until 4 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Aldo Velaj
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Vlora offers preset menus for all private parties. To accommodate dietary restrictions and special occasions, personalized menus are available to be tailored to each party's needs.
- Cross Street: Clarendon Street
- Public Transit: Vlora Mediterranean Restaurant & Wine Bar is accessible by T. We are located within five minutes walk of both the Green Line (Copley Square and Arlington ) and the Orange Line (Back Bay).
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We offer validated parking for those guests parked at the 500 Boylston Street parking lot. Anytime after 4:00 pm is $ 7.00 - please check with your server.
A word from Vlora Bar and Restaurant
Located in the heart of Boston's Back Bay (Boylston Street and Clarendon Street), Vlora Bar and Restaurant focuses on truly authentic Mediterranean cuisine that is characterized by only the use of olive oil, a minimalist approach to cooking with an emphasis on taste and the use of the freshest ingredients. Owned and operated by husband and wife team Aldo Velaj and Cindy Tsai, the restaurant is named after Aldo's home town - Vlora, Albania. Vlora's menu stems largely from Aldo's experiences traveling and eating through the Northern Mediterranean region of Southern Italy, Greece and Albania. Featuring an extensive yet reasonably priced wine and beer menu, the restaurant also offers a late night menu available until closing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vlora Bar and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)romantic (2)special occasion (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)fit for foodies (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- such a disapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2013food was not very good. reservation for six-placed at tables that were not same height. sticky tabletops-no tablecloths-really a disapointment bread/rolls-stale and hardly edible. menu is mediocre. service was fair-
- The staff was very nice. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2013The staff was very nice. The tatzik was delish! But the rest of the food was just eh. The decor was modern but it was so bright almost awkwardly so.
- We were very happy with ourFoodie123Dined on 2/22/2013We were very happy with our experience here. If you like mediterranean food, this is a great spot to try. Service was very good and professional. Food was wonderful!
- For an unpretentious but tasty,OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 2/21/2013For an unpretentious but tasty, well-prepared lunch that enjoys a heavy Mediterranean/Middle Eastern flavor, Vlora is an undiscovered place that is well- worth a visit. Haven't been there for dinner yet.Special Features:
- Mediterranean DelightsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/17/2013We were looking for a restaurant with food other than your ordinary fare, and we found it at Vlora. The food was so delicious! I had the Watermelon w/Feta, Roasted Beet Salad, Psaropita, and Kompekai for dessert. Each course was tasty and most seemed very healthy and nutritious. My mouth felt like there was a party going on each time I took a bite. My husband had the Beef Kabobs, which I thought sounded very ordinary...but they were most certainly not! He's quite the foodie, and he found them delectable! I highly recommend this restaurant ...for a chance of place and palate.Special Features:
- Food is always great - freshLjdeverDined on 2/14/2013Food is always great - fresh and tasty! Staff is willing to do anything to make you happy. Very pleased.Special Features:
- Great experience, their focusOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Great experience, their focus on healthy, quality food, particularly vegetables, delivered much better than expected. Although they're vegetarian- and vegan-friendly, meat is proudly offered - I had lamb chops, my wife salmon, chicken and beef is also on the menu - something for nearly everyone, and it was wonderful. We'll be back.Special Features:
- I have been at Vlora beforeTysbarDined on 2/14/2013I have been at Vlora before several times before and both the food and ambiance were great. This time however the food was mediocre the best. It was Valentine ’s Day and they served a fixed menu only even though their website stated otherwise. The ambiance was like a cheap cafeteria with uncomfortable wooden chairs and tables without a tablecloth or a at least a matt.It seems that the quality of this restaurant went down a lot.
- The server that we had washappyfoodieVIPDined on 2/2/2013The server that we had was decent - not great English - but friendly. The server that another table had was very willing to answer questions and check-in on us. I had the phyllo-wrapped fish with the couscous -very good! My friend had the fish and chips - it was not what he was expecting at all. You should make note that it's not "conventional" fish n chips. The only thing that wasn't overpriced was the wine, but everything else seemed high, especially appetizers. Overall good, but nothing to rave about.Special Features:
- Good food, great serviceJxrodrigDined on 1/26/2013I was pleasantly surprised at the food and ambianced... Service was excellent. I will go there again!Special Features:
- Enjoyed our meal of mediterraneanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/12/2013Enjoyed our meal of mediterranean comfort foods very much. Had a hard time chosing from amongst the many options - really vegetarian friendly - plan to return to try the others. Not fancy, but service was so nice and caring. Under construction - outdoor terrace promises to be a great attraction once weather turns warmer.Special Features:
- Great ResturantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Amazing resturant...Food was excellent and service was unmatched. Would def reccommend to friends and will be returning on next trip back to bostonSpecial Features:
- The appetizers were betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012The appetizers were better than the entree selections, though everything was tasty. The lamb and the steak frites were favorites. The wine list is a bit small - I thought it would have been larger considering its a wine bar. The service was prompt and the waitor gave us some recommendations, which we appreciated.Special Features:
- This place is just plain odd.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2012This place is just plain odd. Service is well meaning but the food is a mishmash of supposed Mediterranean cuisine. Unlike anything I've ever eaten in the Med!
- Mediterranean respiteOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/27/2012Feels like going to a quiet little restaurant in Italy. Ambiance is serene and beautiful, service is always fabulous. Met our nephew there, who was in town on business, and everyone - including our vegetarian daughter was happy and well fed. The staff is also great at meeting any special dining needs, as I am gluten free and have always been thrilled at both the choices I have and the meals they prepare for me. Big Yum!Special Features:
- Service was very good afterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/20/2012Service was very good after a few large groups left. No complaints and will be back!Special Features:
- Below ground but at the top.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/19/2012What a gem! Fresh food, vibrant flavors, (the watermelon and feta salad is a must for its gorgeous plating as well as its cool sweet/salty taste). Our server was knowledgeable and not afraid to make recommendations. The small plate options lend themselves to sharing, but there are also traditionally sized entrees. The only (small) drawback was noise from ongoing construction work (odd that it was going on at 6:30 on a weeknight), but our waitress said the work was progressing quickly and the result would be charming outdoor space on Boylston street--just the place to be in early summer with a glass of wine and that watermelon and feta salad. The lighting was also a bit harsh, and I encourage the owners to dim it a bit.Special Features:
- Hints of GreeceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2012My girlfriend and I recently visited Thessaloniki, Greece, for our spring break from Northeastern University. It was a magical place filled with much warmth and delicious cuisine. Since then, we have been looking for a place in Boston that could give us something that resembled our amazing trip, and Vlora does just that. The restaurant's decor matched our hotel's color schemes to a T, which immediately captured our longing. The food and our server were excellent, and we would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a great Mediterranean cuisine!Special Features:
- This was our first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/28/2012This was our first experience at Vlora. We were pleased with the food and the service. The ambiance was nice but it was a touch noisy. All in all it was a lovely experience. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Construction at the entranceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/27/2012Construction at the entrance made this place hard to find, but glad we knew where we were going otherwise might have missed this place... and that would have been a shame! Very helpful waitstaff and delicious food! Highly recommend.
- The decor stood out. The subduedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/2/2012The decor stood out. The subdued blue lighting was very calming and romantic. The food was very good, but not great. It's a local restaurant with a limited menu. I can walk, I live 4 blocks away. The price was a little high for my value system, but it's comparable in the locale, Boylston St. I'd come back.Special Features:
- Overall this was a good spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2012Overall this was a good spot to have a light dinner before heading out on the town or even for a quiet intimate dinner. Very helpful staff, although at times it did take awhile to get service. Very nice spotSpecial Features:
- European feel, great food & quietOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2012We enjoyed an outstanding dinner in a wonderful environment. The staff is very attentive and accommodating to special requests. In addition to the food and service, something that keeps us coming back is that the place is quiet enough for conversation. I hope that never changes. Vlora's hours span a wide stretch of time. There is a very European feel to the place, and it tends to attract later diners; I also understand that there's a very lively bar scene later in the night. Being older, we like to dine early and have found that it is relatively easy to get a reservation for an early dinner, even on short notice. and (again) that it's quiet at that time. Our favorite place in the whole city for great food & serious conversation.Special Features:
- Great Food and Even Better ServiceRoulettetomVIPDined on 10/16/2012Quality and healthy Mediterranean food. Also, the service was outstanding....attentive but not overbearing. Well-versed in menu to make great recommendations. Waitress makes me want to move to Bulgaria ;) Definitely have the Waffles with Apple Compote and Vanilla Gelato for dessert.Special Features:
- Too noisy, loaded with loudOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/13/2012Too noisy, loaded with loud college kids, ambiance Wendy's+Special Features:
- The food was good and extremelybeantownDined on 10/11/2012The food was good and extremely quick. Service felt a bit rushed, but otherwise the visit was all around pleasant.Special Features:
- Food and service were belowOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/7/2012Food and service were below average and the noise level was so deafening that I couldn't hear the person across from me speak.
- Outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/7/2012Outstanding food and service from Aldo's team! As usual!Special Features:
- Good Albanian FoodMarcVIPDined on 9/19/2012First of all the service was great. Our waiter was personable and on top of everything - he made the experience good. The food was good. The Minestrone was excellent. Sea Bass was good and fresh but their was nothing outstanding about this dish. Try the trio of pies for the appetizers! Outstanding...Special Features:
- Been to Vlora twice now, andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2012Been to Vlora twice now, and enjoyed it both times. Food is very good, and the ambiance is terrific. Very comfortable space. Portions are enormous. Next time, my wife and I will share items, but we'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- very nice preparation of MediterranRandolphdadDined on 9/14/2012very nice preparation of Mediterranean dishes in an informal setting. Very reasonable prices. We enjoyed the Vegetable Moussaka, beef kabobs, haddock in phyllo and basa.Special Features:
- Fashion night outMonaDined on 9/6/2012Loved the watermelon and feta All the food was delicious Our waiter was great A very fun nightSpecial Features:
- food just okay. service justyntbomVIPDined on 9/5/2012food just okay. service just okay. not in a scenic area/it is underground basically. would not go again.
- Strange atmosphere, weirdLauraFVIPDined on 8/22/2012Strange atmosphere, weird looking menu, and pedestrian food.
- We always enjoy Vlora. HaveeatoutVIPDined on 8/19/2012We always enjoy Vlora. Have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Hidden neighborhood gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Hidden neighborhood gem. Recommend the Albanian Mac n cheese !Special Features:
- Good food, excellent service.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/14/2012Good food, excellent service. My only problem with the place is the menu is very limited. Maybe 12 items. The food was great, but I'm use to a wider variety of selection at Mediterrain restaurants.
- Usually when the menu hasdoneVIPDined on 8/6/2012Usually when the menu has pictures of every single dish thats a huge red flag for me, but the food was pretty good and the service was very quick.
- Great food; the surroundingsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2012Great food; the surroundings weren't as good. The table could have done with a bit of a scrub down (it was sticky), and the glass roof leaked in a downpour. Also, don't get put off by the menu: it comes on a large laminated card with photos of the dishes, reminiscent of down-market, high-volume operations. But the quality of the food was excellent, and we'd be happy to go again.
- Pleasant, low key, and satisfyingFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/5/2012If you're in the Back Bay area and are looking for Mediterranean food, Vlora Mediterranean Restaurant is a good place to consider. Thoughtful staff, satisfying fare, and convenient location. Attractive decor and full bar also beckon. Very nice people who work there. I'd reccomend it, and we'll be back.Special Features: