Vlora Bar and Restaurant
545 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Vlora Bar and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vloraboston.com/
- Phone: 6176389699
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week from 10 am until closing; weekend brunch is served from 10am until 3 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Aldo Velaj
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Vlora offers preset menus for all private parties. To accommodate dietary restrictions and special occasions, personalized menus are available to be tailored to each party's needs.
- Cross Street: Clarendon Street
- Public Transit: Vlora Mediterranean Restaurant & Wine Bar is accessible by T. We are located within five minutes walk of both the Green Line (Copley Square and Arlington ) and the Orange Line (Back Bay).
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We offer validated parking for those guests parked at the 500 Boylston Street parking lot. Anytime after 4:00 pm is $ 7.00 - please check with your server.
A word from Vlora Bar and Restaurant
Located in the heart of Boston's Back Bay (Boylston Street and Clarendon Street), Vlora Bar and Restaurant focuses on truly authentic Mediterranean cuisine that is characterized by only the use of olive oil, a minimalist approach to cooking with an emphasis on taste and the use of the freshest ingredients. Owned and operated by husband and wife team Aldo Velaj and Cindy Tsai, the restaurant is named after Aldo's home town - Vlora, Albania. Vlora's menu stems largely from Aldo's experiences traveling and eating through the Northern Mediterranean region of Southern Italy, Greece and Albania. Featuring an extensive yet reasonably priced wine and beer menu, the restaurant also offers a late night menu available until closing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vlora Bar and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (8)neighborhood gem (7)good for groups (6)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)romantic (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)fit for foodies (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Amazing RestaurantGreatTasteDined on 11/12/2013Vlora is one of Boston's greatest restaurants. It has the most authentic Mediterranean food. Chef Aldo consistently delivers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemethelsneighborDined on 11/7/2013A little hidden since there are steps leading from street level to this gem! Food is wonderful an service is excellent! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and very kindLjdeverDined on 10/19/2013Amazing food and very kind staff. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemdizeeVIPDined on 10/18/2013Vlora is downstairs but its food and service are upstairs. I recommend it to my friends because we've had many very pleasant evenings here.Special Features:
- Completely disappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 10/14/2013The food was brought out within five minutes of ordering, which clearly meant it was not cooked to order. It was edible but I would not call it quality or good what so ever. It was our first time here so I was completely disappointed. Definitely not going back!
- Found a new Boston FavoriteMimiVIPDined on 10/8/2013Vlora was a 1000-pt option, so thought I would give it a try. Was with a group of co-workers for a meeting in Boston and wanted something in the Back Bay area within a few blocks of our office. And, who's ever been to an Albanian restaurant? Right. Our server, Katherine, was French and utterly delightful! Very knowledgeable about the menu, the cocktails and the wines. Everyone was adventuresome in their ordering so we could share bites of all the delicious entrees. We ordered 3 desserts to share and all had a unique and delicious mediterranean twist. When I come to Boston, which is about monthly, I will visit Vlora again and again. And, I've already recommended to many co-workers.Special Features:
- Consistently DisappointingPotsandPensVIPDined on 10/5/2013I have eaten here 3 times and unfortunately, the food is just NOT GOOD. It's not horrible, but it is lacking in flavor. I've tried the Basa (fish), the kebabs (beef & chicken, super skimpy!) and the rib eye for entrees. I've tried the arancini (decent), the calamari (no flavor and a weird relish sauce), and the watermelon/feta salad (best item so far amongst the other average tasting items). All are mostly bland. All are over priced. My friends like this place because they like the pineapple upside down drink. Somehow I keep getting suckered into eating here and I regret it every time. The owner is nice. The staff is lax. Our order has been screwed up on more than one occasion. #ConstantDisappointment
- Excellent Service, Excellent foodgreekgirlDined on 9/19/2013Great service, excellent food (mediterranean - greek/italian fusion). Had the octopus for an appertizer. Prepared beautifully and so tender. And then the Penne with a meat sauce for my entree. Also very good. Large portions of everything as well, you definitely get your money's worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too CuteBroseVIPDined on 9/10/2013The owner randomly let us sample a new drink he was making while my friend and I dined at the bar. He was very friendly, as was oru waiter. Food was delicious. First time really tasting Mediterranean food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely UnderratedtheycallmexoBDined on 9/5/2013I had never heard of Vlora before, but we chose to go for the reasonably priced menu, as well as the great location. It would've been nice to sit outside, but it was too cold. The hostess and servers were all extremely friendly and made our experience well worth it. The food was excellent. I was surprised that it wasn't busier. It was a great place and I wod recommend it and plan on going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truly enjoyed the restaurant.greattimecharlieDined on 8/24/2013truly enjoyed the restaurant. Great set up on outside patio, wonderful evening for outdoor diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service. Food isAnnonymousDined on 8/23/2013Excellent service. Food is good, if not destination dining. The patio was great on a balmy evening, with a view of a lively Copley Square and the passing parade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor funBearCakesDined on 8/10/2013Location of this place is pretty great for those that like to be in the middle of a moving city. The outdoor dining lets you be apart of the city while separating you with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceTFarriesDined on 8/5/2013Aldo the owner and head chef does a great job in creating a wonderful menu. The atmosphere is young and vibrant yet the restaurant maintains a romantic cozy feeling. I will be visiting this place again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Copley Sq people watchingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/31/2013Roasted beet app with goat cheese was lovely but the walnuts should have been toasted a bit to bring out some flavor. Sea basa (not a typo) was terrific. Linguine-chicken-creamy lemon sauce was underwhelming. I think the lemon was completely forgotten.Special Features:
- Excellent WaitressMarcVIPDined on 7/30/2013Our waitress was fun, personable and very knowledgeable about the menu - and food in general. Great service! The chicken kabobs were fine but the octopus was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern take on MediterraneannpcareyDined on 7/27/2013Big fan of Greek food, and Vlora has an interesting, modern twist on Greek specialties. Presentation was really nice! Especially recommend the Vegetarian Moussaka, best dish we had. Greek Peasant Salad very good, tho' all the times I've traveled in Greece I've never seen lettuce in a salad, ever. The 'flaming' Saganaki (fried cheese) was perfectly cooked. The octopus was very tender. A great appetizer meal!Special Features:
- AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2013Loved everything about the place except the fake fireplace.Special Features:
- This is to Open Table - energeticJandKDined on 6/13/2013This is to Open Table - energetic is not synomous with too loud. You need people to be able to say the noise level is too loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good butOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/18/2013The food was very good but the noise level was way too high. Even when most people had cleared out of the restaurant, it was still hard to hear the people at our table. I wouldn't rush back because of that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingsusgkVIPDined on 5/18/2013We have been to Vlora before and enjoyed it. Last visit however was disappointing, however. My Greek salad was good, but the moussaka was overdressed. Most distressing was the service: our waitress was nice, but the entrees came while the appetizers were still being eaten. We had the feeling that we were being rushed. The place got noisier as the evening progressed, and it was difficult to have a conversation.
- Great service. Outdoor patio dininghw4Dined on 5/18/2013Has a great lunch alfresco with a group of family and friends. Out waitress was a gem. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy with OK foodfleecyDined on 5/17/2013The menu had some strange items that I would not consider Mediation. We ordered appetizers, salad and fish dish. All were Ok but not memorable. The location right on Boylston Street was noise was would be expected, the jack hammering in the lobby of the building it is in front of put the noise level in the danger zone. No one in our party would go back.
- Vlora reviewDrLydiaGrayDined on 5/12/2013Vlora is a fantastic restaurant. The first thing you will notice is that all the wait staff are SMILING and they are so welcoming, warm and friendly. The menu selection is outstanding. I loved that we could have lunch or brunch-there was something for everyone in our group. The quality of the food is excellent, and the prices very reasonable. I would highly recommend Vlora!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/5/2013Went for a Sunday lunch to celebrate my son's graduation with a Masters in Architecture (Yeah!) The menu had a wonderful assortment of foods so everyone chose a familiar dish. Our waiter was comical and we enjoyed our service. Would recommend this restaurant and when back in the Boston area will dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servers were warm, but didOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/28/2013Servers were warm, but did not follow through with a special request. appetizer was tasty, but laden with straight olive oil as part of the dipping sauce. Peasant salad was fantastic.
- Had reservation for 1 pm onDineOftenVIPDined on 4/28/2013Had reservation for 1 pm on the patio and didn't get seated until 2 pm. They forgot to confirm my Open Table reservation. The wine list needs to be improved.
- The food was decent but weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2013The food was decent but we had three waiters within 5 minutes of sitting down, none of which knew if they were accountable for our table or not. The restaurant felt sparse and looked very cheap. It was incredibly noisy and the entire staff looked confused. Can't say I'll be returning when there are so many other great options in the Back Bay.
- Don't go during constructionOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/6/2013Don't go while they are doing construction. You can smell sawdust and everytime they opened the doors it let in a lot of cold air, since you're sitting right by the door. This happened a lot. Other than the atmosphere, the food was great. I'll come back once they are done with their work.
- A very nice spot and gettingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/3/2013A very nice spot and getting even nicer when the weahter improves.Food was very good and interesting.Special Features:
- Exceptional RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/30/2013Food is fantastic and the new outdoor terrace has amazing views of Copley square!Special Features:
- Good food with a really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/28/2013Good food with a really good selection and wonderful service. I will absolutely return.Special Features:
- The food here was outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/25/2013The food here was outstanding! Everything is made to order and fresh. The staff was very attentive and friendly. We will be back to try other items on the menu!Special Features:
- Outstanding service and bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/19/2013Outstanding service and best lamb chop ever in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed the appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/2/2013We really enjoyed the appetizers as we shared a few (bruschetta, moussaka, and risotto ball). Greek salad was delicious and a large portion. The Sangria was nice too. The service was extremely attentive which felt a little awkward at times but seemed to be very well intentioned. The calamari came with too much relish on it and was a bit greasy but the manager noticed it was barely touched and took it off the bill. Coffees after dinner were great too. It was a nice environment quiet enough to have a conversation in which can be hard to find in Boston! We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- There liquor license onlyBasilDined on 3/2/2013There liquor license only allows them to serve flavored alcohol. Food and service was so-so. Ambiance was pretty poor for a Saturday night.
- The food was very good andMeganDined on 3/2/2013The food was very good and they make great drinks.Special Features:
- such a disapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2013food was not very good. reservation for six-placed at tables that were not same height. sticky tabletops-no tablecloths-really a disapointment bread/rolls-stale and hardly edible. menu is mediocre. service was fair-
- The staff was very nice. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2013The staff was very nice. The tatzik was delish! But the rest of the food was just eh. The decor was modern but it was so bright almost awkwardly so.
- We were very happy with ourFoodie123Dined on 2/22/2013We were very happy with our experience here. If you like mediterranean food, this is a great spot to try. Service was very good and professional. Food was wonderful!