687 McAllister St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.indigorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4156739353x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, and Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Michael Whang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer various party platters in addition to our ala carte menu
- Private Party Facilities: We offer many options for private dining and receptions. Our Private Dining Room holds 14, or Wine Cellar Table holds 8, our Restaurant holds up to 80 and our Crimson Lounge is perfect for cocktail parties for 20-100 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michael 415-673-9353 8883906741
- Entertainment: Satellite Radio with 100 stations
- Special Events: Dining in the Dark, Crimson Lounge
A word from Indigo
Indigo offers an exciting California - New American menu featuring the best quality local and seasonal ingredients. Their Ten-Time Wine Spectator Award wine list offers many value oriented wines as well as hard to find gems. They also have NO Corkage Fee! The setting is warm, comfortable and elegant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Indigo reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (73)fit for foodies (46)special occasion (38)romantic (20)notable wine list (12)good for groups (8)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- I had an arugula salad thatOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/26/2008I had an arugula salad that was soggy, nuts were dry, very poor, especially in SF. My pasta was watery and dull - needed spicing up. I would not go to this restaurant again unless comped. It felt tired with many empty tables at 7 pm - kind of on it's last legs. I'm sorry about this as it is in a great location for pre theater and should have been busy. Nancy CarlsonSpecial Features:
- Five of us went to dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/26/2008Five of us went to dinner before the symphony (short walk). We all were impressed with the food. No disappointments. One member of our party did not order a first course; the waitress brought him a cup of (delicious) soup anyway, gratis. I would go again, and I would recommend it.Special Features:
- We eat in Hayes Valley wheneverjudyDined on 3/26/2008We eat in Hayes Valley whenever we have concert, opera or lecture tickets. Indigo has become our favorite in the area for ambience, service and food, and we particularly appreciate that the prices are not over-the-top.Special Features:
- Well-executed comfort fooddoonhartVIPDined on 3/25/2008Well-executed comfort food served in appropriate portions, amiable staff and nice setting. All around a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- I really like Indigo but thereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/21/2008I really like Indigo but there menu seemed very similiar to when we ate there in October...
- My partner got the wine dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/21/2008My partner got the wine dinner and was very happy with it. I got the mahi mahi and it was OK fish was a little over cooked.Special Features:
- Food was very good, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/21/2008Food was very good, service was spotty. One of the wine glasses set on the table was quite dirty around the lip. I ordered a glass of Viognier and a half-bottle of red. The server delivered a glass of red wine and no half bottle (so my date didn't have anything to drink) until I corrected the error. The soup bowl from my first course was not picked up until the mains arrived, necessitating a somewhat awkward passing of the bowl to the server while she put the main down in front of me.Special Features:
- Always have an excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/20/2008Always have an excellent dining experience at Indigo. Especially good for pre-symphony/opera events.Special Features:
- Very good food. InterestingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/20/2008Very good food. Interesting in that they have no corkage fee,Special Features:
- Indigo is in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/20/2008Indigo is in the neighborhood of the Opera House, so is handy for theater night. Reservation was easy to do and completely in order; service was very professional; the food was competent. We could talk with our friends. Open Table made the reservation very easy. Thank you. A good experience.
- I had a great dinner, andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/19/2008I had a great dinner, and the service was sopt on. Our server worked quickly, because we had tickets to the ballet, but I never felt rushed. He made a great entree recommendation as well, and I would go back.Special Features:
- Indigo is consistently a goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/19/2008Indigo is consistently a good place to eat prior to performances at Civic Center; good food, efficient and warm service; very accomodating and enjoyable. Beng in the back room lacks the ambience that you get in the other part of the restaurant but when you are a party of 6+, it is the only option. They make that ara as good as they can, I guess but perhap a re-do in terms of decor would help some.Special Features:
- Indigo is a good choice beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2008Indigo is a good choice before the symphony/ballet/opera.
- Booked it because we had ticketsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/18/2008Booked it because we had tickets to the ballet. Convenience was the driving factor as I had been years ago and was not overly impressed. While the meal didn't blow me away it was better than I expected and I would choose to go there again - not just because of convenience. I was surprised that the restaurant wasn't full the evening of a performance. It makes me wonder if they are struggling. A more lively atmosphere would have been nice. As I reflect further the service was quite attentive - making sure you had plenty of time to get to the Opera House which was much appreciated.
- Food was bad. Service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/15/2008Food was bad. Service was marginal. Will not be dining here again.
- They don't have a corkageOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/15/2008They don't have a corkage fee and that is a huge plus! That means that we can splurge a bit more on a good wine to bring in and spend a splurge a bit more on food. Make a reservation for 7.30 or later on opera/ballet/symphonie nights and it will be nice and quite dinnerSpecial Features:
- I frequent Indigo before theeveroDined on 3/15/2008I frequent Indigo before the ballet and enjoy the overall dining experience. The service is reliably efficient to get the diner out on time without rushing. The food is always prepared well and served at the appropriate temperature.Special Features:
- We were six at a round tablefetterVIPDined on 3/15/2008We were six at a round table that made it easy for everyone to participate in various conversations. The food was very good and it was a warm occasion before going to the ballet. We will ceertainly return.Special Features:
- We had a very good meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/15/2008We had a very good meal. The service was great, and the food delicious. It was a little noisy, but I think that was because the tables are set close together. It was the second time we had been there, and were happy both times.Special Features:
- Service could be improved.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2008Service could be improved. we had to ask for our entry, and only half of our dessert request was ordered.
- Inattentive service. WaitedOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/15/2008Inattentive service. Waited a long time for entrees. Nearby table of 5 seated after us had coffee and dessert before coming back to take our dessert order which now there was no time for. Won't be in a hurry to go back. I still gave a good tip!Special Features:
- Very good for pre-ballet dining.sjcatdfwVIPDined on 3/14/2008Very good for pre-ballet dining. The food was goodto very good, but not great. The suggested wine pairings for every course was a very nice touch. Lots of buzz. A fun place to go. I LOVED the salad w/gorgonzola and walnuts.
- Indigo is an excellent choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2008Indigo is an excellent choice if you are going to an evening performance in the neighborhood. Service is good and the food comes quickly. Prices are lower than other nice restaurants in the neighborhood serving California cuisine. A good dining experience if you want California cuisine before a show.
- Good locale for Civic CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/14/2008Good locale for Civic Center Arts scene. Pleasant service, but food seemed a bit overpriced. My Prix fixe meal plus one cocktail and glass of wine was $75.00. A good meal, but not great. It's location that makes this a popular choice.
- We love Indigo, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/13/2008We love Indigo, especially before a performance. The place is looking tired, though. Paint every 6 months to keep it neat, clean the windows and floors, and refresh the logo on the window!Special Features:
- The owner indroduced himself,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/13/2008The owner indroduced himself, helped select a wine very friendly...thanked me for making a reservation with Indigo....Ordered steak and it was just the right amount 10 oz., cooked properly. Roasted tomato soup hit the spot as it was cold outside.
- Great for dinner before CivicOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/13/2008Great for dinner before Civic Center events: Ballet, symphony, opera, etc.
- My favorite place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/12/2008My favorite place to dine before a ballet performance. The staff is great! Good food, good wine list, would not change a thing.
- Very interesting menu, lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/12/2008Very interesting menu, lovely food, thoughtful service!Special Features:
- Great for before the opera,OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/11/2008Great for before the opera, symphony, ballet, anything around civic center. Great service.Special Features:
- I was not very happy to beOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/11/2008I was not very happy to be seated in the tiny back room with a very large party at the other table... I will remember to make sure to indicate in the future that I do NOT want to be seated back there. I told them I was unhappy since we had an out of town visitor, so they brought us extra dishes -- I wish they had discounted our total price instead, though I appreciate their efforts to make me happier with the situation.
- I've eaten at Indigo quiteJudyGFVIPDined on 3/11/2008I've eaten at Indigo quite a few times. I usually dine there before I go to the ballet during the season. I like the ambiance, attractive surroundings and not too noisy. The food is always good (often excellent) and the service is usually excellent. Overall a very good dining experience in my opinion.Special Features:
- Great little neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/9/2008Great little neighborhood restaurant tucked away around the corner from the rest of Hayes Valley. Good vaule. Food was excellent. Service was outstanding - our server was great!! And their prixe fixe options are a steal! I'll be back.Special Features:
- This is the second time thatStockjockDined on 3/8/2008This is the second time that I've dined at Indigo and the food was good, although my steak was a bit on the fatty side. My companion had the salmon, which was fresh but the sauce was just okay. I think that I enjoyed my first visit a few years back more than this one, but it is a respectable restaurant nonetheless. Service was friendly and very good overall.Special Features:
- The food was fine, but theyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/8/2008The food was fine, but they didn't seem to have a full bar or kitchen - no aioli or even mayo for our fries, no mint for mojitos, etc. Kind of strange for Hayes Valley. Food was decent, but a little overpriced for what it was. I was most disappointed with the wine. There are some interesting things on the list, but who wants to spend $200 on a bottle? (The prices on the internet are also outdated and cheaper than what's on the list in the restaurant.) The wines-by-the-glass list was not good, and the wine was served way too warm. I would expect this from a random restaurant, but not from one that emphasizes its love of wine. The only redeeming quality is that there is no corkage fee. I wouldn't go out of my way to come here again.
- We enjoyed the prix fix all,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2008We enjoyed the prix fix all, you can wine dinner. The wines were all very good, and paired well with the courses. The price was quite reasonable as well. I would recommend Indigo, good food, good value, nice place.Special Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2008We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Indigo, both the food and the experience were lovely.Special Features:
- Indigo is a very well runluv2eatVIPDined on 3/8/2008Indigo is a very well run restaurant. The food is outstanding and the service is personable. However, there are lots of excellent restaurants in San Francisco. What makes Indigo stand out is that it is not only an excellent restaurant, but an great value! Isn't it nice to go to a restaurant with an extensive and WELL PRICED wine list? We are Californians....we know what these wines cost and we don't appreciate excessive markups. Thanks for the great food and wine at reasonable prices! Keep it up!Special Features:
- Very unusual menu with allMEdiningVIPDined on 3/8/2008Very unusual menu with all choices extremely well executed. (Presentation could use a bit of spiffing up, but all in all an excellent meal for the price)O.Special Features:
- We eat at Indigo a fair amountOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/8/2008We eat at Indigo a fair amount during the Ballet and Opera season and it is one of our favorites. Our last visit was rather disapponting. The food was good but not up to the usual standards. The service was very poor. Once our wine was opened (the sommeleier did a great job) the waitress/wait staff never poured wine again (two bottles), never brought more bread, and seemed totally indifferent and inattentive.Special Features: