3343 Lakeshore Avenue
Oakland, CA 94609Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.michelbistro.com/
- Phone: 5108368737x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Michel
We are proud to introduce to you Michel Bistro. We are from south of France, Provence, and are excited to share our love of cuisine and all that it entails with the East Bay. Our goal is to bring to Lakeshore avenue a Bistro that will have French and traditional dishes made with high quality products at an affordable price.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Michel reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (167)fit for foodies (147)special occasion (64)notable wine list (61)romantic (48)great for brunch (41)hot spot (30)vibrant bar scene (27)good for groups (25)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (8)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Nice addition to Lakeshore. Parking is biggest problem. Food very good. French waiter friendly but slow and seemed little stressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new additionOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/17/2014Lakeshore/Grand has been a hotspot of new exciting restaurants. Cuisine fusions and mixtures are the rage but a true French cuisine is a rare find. Michel is a creative gem built on traditional French DNA.Special Features:
- Tranported to ProvenceHereNowDined on 9/11/2014Sat at the bar and felt I was actually in Provence - very authentic. Friendly, knowledgeable help. The food and wine was 'magnifique'. Had gem salad with fresh, fresh lettuce, shaved radishes, and a wonderfully light vinaigrette dressing. The short ribs were lean and tender with a sauce bursting with Provencal flavor. Topped off with a sensual peach mascarpone tart creation for desert. Wines (French, of course) were excellent. Highly recommend Michel.Special Features:
- Great new findOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2014We were happy we found this place. The lamb burger was really good and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has so much charm!ThankyouandenjoyDined on 9/10/2014This place has so much charm! The food is wonderful, the service and presentation are beyond exceptional. I feel well cared for when I'm there.Special Features:
- Excellent Neighborhood BistroDaveyKnowsDined on 9/10/2014Inventive and delicious food, perfect service, creative wine arrangement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely neighborhood restaurantGenegirlDined on 9/6/2014We enjoyed. Michel's very much. Most entrees were about $25 but very tasty I had the shortribs which were moist and very flavorful. My husband had the Guinean hen which which was boneless and moist.. Service was attentive and dessert was lovely. We'd definitely go back for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood bistro.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/6/2014Has good, service and atmosphere. Mussels and short ribs were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites...BluemoonDined on 9/4/2014This was our fourth visit since their soft opening. Could easily eat here every night, it's just that good and well prepared. Enjoyed sharing other restaurant finds with the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quaint and authenticmp03dkDined on 9/3/2014I had a great experience. Loved the cardamom creme brûléeSpecial Features:
- Yummy!LDMartinezVIPDined on 9/3/2014Wanted French food for our anniversary dinner. Selected Michel's based on Open Table diners' recommendations. We felt like we were back in Bordeaux. My recommendations are the cheese plate, duck salad appetizer, mussels or guinea hen for the entree. Wonderful selection of French (and California) wines to complement each course. It's a 30-minute drive from our home to the restaurant, but we felt it was well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday dinnerNotcookingtonightDined on 9/2/2014Five of us went to Michel's for the 1st time in honor of my birthday. We all chose different dishes and each of us thought our dinners were delicious. The serving staff was pleasant and gracious. The wine list is very reasonably priced. I will not wait for my next birthday to return.Special Features:
- Great Dinnerhodgepodgefor90Dined on 9/2/2014We took our daughters and their husbands to Michel Bistro and had both a wonderful meal and time. We really enjoyed the starters especially the bone marrow with roasted garlic. I had the steamed cod which was excellent. Overall, a great experience rivaling that of SF restaurants. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- birthday dinnerbirthdayDined on 8/31/2014we were sitted right away. I like that it wasn't a huge menu, but offers a variety of appetizers. We tried almost all the appetizer, and we were almost full. The short ribs was the best; melts in your mouth. The restaurant was busy and there were only two waitresses. For the price they are charging, I'd expect a better waiter to customer ratio. Parking is a problem, expect to circle around for 15 minutes for parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good French foodKdragonDined on 8/31/2014I just spent 2 weeks in Paris and was in the mood for French food. I had read reviews that Michel Bistro was authentic and thought I'd give it a try. My friend and I shared the bone marrow appetizer, which was deliciously rich and came with roasted garlic and toast. I ordered the cod, and it came with a combination of tastes and textures that worked very well together - a rich beurre blanc, couscous, peanuts and avocado. My friend had the mussels and loved her dish. The bistro has a nice vibe with high ceilings in an industrial chic setting. The only drawback is that the acoustics made it challenging to have a conversation. Service was great and it was overall a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedGlenviewDined on 8/31/2014This was my second visit and while I thoroughly enjoyed everything the first visit, honestly it wasn't anywhere near as good this time. My dinner companion was very disappointed too, more so since I had literally raved about it. The main problem was the quality of the food (my escargot left a lot to be desired) and not a particularly broad menu from which to select. Our waitress was quite wonderful and kept apologizing that it was so long between courses. I'm not sure if I will return.Special Features:
- Wonderfully FrenchbirderVIPDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I enjoyed our brunch very much. We can recommend the smoked (pink) trout benedict, and also the bison tartar. And of course the pastis!Special Features:
- Great SurpriseMosandovVIPDined on 8/30/2014We happened upon Michel and haven't stopped talking about how much we enjoyed it. The cheese platter and bison tartar were our starters. I could have stopped with those and the wine they were so excellent. The short ribs were moist, tender and succulent. Mussels were fresh, perfectly cooked and much bigger than I would have expected. Fresh hot bread was delivered to the table. The waitress gave us temperature options for our wine, and even recommended a less expensive bottle than we had chosen. We live east of the tunnel, but will be making the trip back to Oakland for this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deserves 4.5RobiboDined on 8/29/2014Very much enjoyed the food here. Interesting. Flavorful. Well prepared. Even though we made a reservation, we had to wait. Which was rather a bummer. But otherwise, very nice experience. We'll go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Escargot?DavidDined on 8/29/2014Very disappointed with the presentation, more lardo than escargot. In a French restaurant I would prefer my escargot with plenty of butter, garlic, and wine served with their excellent French bread. That would keep me coming back! A nightly or weekly special would also hit a home run with us. How about steak frites?Special Features:
- Updated bistro classicsjaz2020VIPDined on 8/28/2014Michel offers high-quality, tasty, stylish food...it just may not be exactly what you expected. We liked the chevre instead of heavy cheese crust in the onion soup, but the broth was too sweet, no savory edge at all. Duck/watermelon salad was nice riff on prosciutto-wrapped melon. Lamb burger very good, comes with tasty curried onions on a poppyseed brioche. Short rib with potatoes would have been spectacular if green peppercorn and cilantro were left off; the au jus itself was terrific (cab & pluot marinade was amazing). No need for the superfluous peppercorn cream sauce and soapy-tasting cilantro. Dessert of roasted peaches w/housemade mascarpone was superb; coffee excellent. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedDissapointedDined on 8/27/2014Went there because I read the online menu. the menu had changed and what I had gone for was no longer available. If a restaurant is going to have an online menu, it should accurately reflect what is available. I won't go there again. Should have gone to Pícan.Special Features:
- Great addition to lakeshore aveAh47Dined on 8/26/2014We've been a few times now, really like the place. In addition to bottles, wines by the 375 and 700ml carafe are a nice touch. Delicious food, including some good budget options (lamb burger, mussels). The soups have also been consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WCofficeguyDined on 8/26/2014Really nice restaurant in ur neighborhood. Also great for inviting out of town guests. It has a nice ambiance, great service and a high quality menu. I think it stands up to any restaurant in the Bay area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MferVIPDined on 8/24/2014The escargot presentation was different and delicious. Short ribs so tender the didn't need a knife. Have wine offered in many sizes was great. Can't wait to go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is evolvingMunchieVIPDined on 8/24/2014Thoughtful, innovative menu is a standout in a neighborhood that is sadly evolving into a carry-out food source with the likes of Chipotle Grill. Truly an exciting boost to this neighborhood. Overall, the dining experience was enjoyable, but obvious that the kitchen has not yet solved its timing of courses during peak hours. After a more than a 30 minute wait between courses, I was left wondering whether our entree order had been forgotten. And when it was served, the plate was stone cold and rendered an otherwise lovely meal unappetizing. Once they work out simple issues like this, I would be happy to return to try it again.Special Features:
- New ingredients worsened menuShinnquistVIPDined on 8/23/2014-adding lamb sausage to previously delicious Moule made the dish awful. -previous menu's creme boule was way better -better to change the menu offering, not the ingredients. -very disappointed this time.Special Features:
- Our 2nd time - it's great!PatRDined on 8/21/2014Took our friends this time started with gazpacho, escargot, then short ribs, mussels, fresh cod, and ended with cream brûlée. All dishes were super good.Special Features:
- Neighborhood jewelOwetsuDined on 8/21/2014Great service. One of the best mussel preparations I've ever had. Portions surprisingly large. Bison Tatar well balanced dish. Nice affordable wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Great service, but...reidbr1Dined on 8/20/2014I can't put my finger on it but I don't have a burning desire 2 return & dine again. The food was good, fresh & tasty. My companion had braised ribs - tasty & "fall off the bone" as expected & the potatoes were perfectly cooked. I had cod, also tasty & perfectly cooked. But afterwards, my companion & I both said "not blown away." Btw, service was exceptional! Also, given 2 out of 3 of us didn't drink, overall cost was quite high. Charging / glass for coke refills & per cup for coffee refills was also annoying, although looking back, probable. Maybe it was the menu, reasonable but again not exceptional. I have read the other reviews which is why I wanted to try this place. Good, not exceptional. Sorry, wish I could rate higher...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moules to ShareMobileaccessDined on 8/19/2014Among the great things on the menu is an order of moules/frites (mussels in butter white whine sauce with french fries) - too big for one person but great to share, particularly with a seven-year-old grandson who loves them as well. The braised beef rib was also good, the homemade green olive tapenade really tasty, and the wine list adventurous and reasonable.Special Features:
- great food/vibe, service okayoaklandeaterVIPDined on 8/17/2014This was my 2nd time @ Michel. We started at the bar for drinks, then moved to a table. Bartender was great, made custom drink for me. Escargots were wonderful, as was the lamb burger. Definitely will have those again. Only problem was that they seemed short-staffed on the floor - with one server and the hostess (who wasn't very helpful) trying to also help on the floor - so we had a very difficult time flagging her down, plus she was necessarily not very attentive given her workload. It was a Sunday night but given there were still a fair number of patrons, they should've had at least two servers on the floor. Service really makes the experience and goes a long way with word of mouth, esp. for a new place.Special Features:
- Delicious addition to Lakeshore!OaklandFoodieDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I chose Michel based on the 180 reviews they've received in just four short months they've been opened and we weren't disappointed. We had the bone marrow and bison tartar for appetizers with a few specialty cocktails that didn't disappoint. We then asked the owner to select a wine for our main meal and were impressed both by the selection and the reasonable pricing of their wine list. For dinner we chose the canneloni and moules et frites and were delighted with the amount of flavor they created in both dishes. We finished the evening with a creme brulee and a glass of sauternes which were the perfect finish for a fun and delicious meal. The staff were friendly, attentive and made you feel like family.Special Features:
- Michel? Oui, please!CVS1975Dined on 8/15/2014The restaurant was bustlin' and here's why: the food is simply amazing. Talk about taking the most basic of ingredients and turning them into a poignant masterpiece! The tapanade? Not overly "olive-y" just like I like it. The corn soup was so Fresh! Delightful! I could have had two bowls! The duck ham with watermelon? Who knew? Obviously, Michel did because there was a party in my tummy! so yummy! The mussels? Oui, please! That broth.. you could just drink it and be in glorious stupor. The short ribs? Melted in my mouth. Had this all with a cocktail and I was one happy chick! Attentive service! The bill was extremely fair for this delicious and exciting fare ;-) Make your reservations for Michel! You will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- A wonderful addition in OaklandSloanwallVIPDined on 8/14/2014True French bistro feel, great service, outstanding food, reasonable prices, great bar! This one's a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 8/12/2014Excellent French food. The Rose Sangria was yummy. Warm and charming waiters. Will return soon!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/12/2014Food was great, mussels were perfect… and the service charming and friendly.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceJlovesfoodDined on 8/8/2014Came here for the first time with my BF. I ordered the Sea Bass and he got the Hen. My Sea Bass was excellent - great flavor and cooked perfectly. He thought the Hen was just ok. I got the creme brûlée for dessert and it was delicious. The menu is short so you sort of have to hope you will like one of the few items available on the night you dine there. The service was exceptional! We were extremely well taken care of during our entire dinner.
- Loved MichelMagsDined on 8/5/2014Escargots and short ribs are a must. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Michel ReviewAubergeDined on 8/3/2014The restaurant is a great neighborhood French bistro. The food is inventive, French, and very good. The service was OK, nothing spectacular but more than satisfactory. Their way of serving wine in the amount wanted and from good and reasonably priced wines is highly commendable and most appreciated. The only drawback is the noise level, which is high enough to be a significant distraction. Next time I will ask to to sit in the alcove by the door or in the back, where they have two tables. Overall, three of five stars, 7 of 10 overall rating, down one star and 1 point because of the noise level.Special Features: