Tavern at Lark Creek
234 Magnolia Ave.
Larkspur, CA 94925Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tavern at Lark Creek
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tavernatlarkcreek.com/
- Phone: 4159247766x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:30-2:00 Dinner: Monday through Friday 5:30- until closing with Saturday, Sunday 5:00-until closing. Full Bar continuous from opening.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Aaron Wright
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Tavern at Lark Creek
The Tavern at Lark Creek represents the next chapter in the life of the historic, circa 1888 Victorian Murphy House; a Larkspur landmark. Designed to appeal to diners looking for value, fun and great ambiance, The Tavern at Lark Creek seeks to capture the more casual feel diners look for today. High-backed cherry chairs and period oak tables surround a grand Carrera marble-topped table beneath a giant skylight, providing lots of great seating options for parties both large and small in the main dining room. Oak tables fill the cozy bar, which offers artisanal cocktails and wines from our proprietary tap system. The wood oven has been renewed, along with the garden. A dramatic lighted display case in the entryway welcomes diners. Chef Aaron Wright and Culinary Director Adrian Hoffman’s menu focuses on value, while remaining true to farm-to-table sensibilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tavern at Lark Creek reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good butMDL1234VIPDined on 11/16/2013Food was good and server very personable but very long periods of time between courses that bordered on irritating. Don't know what the problem was...probably something In KitchenI would recommend this to a friend.
- Time waits for no onegastrologistDined on 11/16/2013Enjoy going to tTavern, but Sat was subpar. My apéritif was served after the dinner wine. Server was aware enough to say it was on its way. The time between small and large plates >20 min. The med-rare burgers were served med with lukewarm soggy fries. Didn’t complain because we didn’t have time for a new burger. Thought an hour and a half would suffice, but it ended up being 2 hours. I wish it didn’t matter, but we had a babysitter that needed to be home by 9:30. On a positive note, the beet salad was outstanding and the mac&cheese fondue was delectable. The lamb fusilli was excellent. Don’t have enough free time to give this another shot.Special Features:
- Bradley OgdenAnnabellaVIPDined on 11/15/2013We came to Lark Creek especially because Bradley Ogden was making a special appearance. We were not disappointed. The food was outstanding and it was nice to get to chat with Chef Ogden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightMJHSDined on 11/15/2013We had a lovely dinner. There were some problems with a new waitperson, but the restaurant was more than gererous in making it right.
- An OK experiencegrampscVIPDined on 11/13/2013Marin has such a limited amount of really good/fine restaurants that this one is welcome, once in a while, it does have a nice atmosphere and best of all is the food which is very good, it is a leader in a county where it isn't hard to be a leader.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food I had was good (salad)GoodeaterDined on 11/10/2013The food I had was good (salad) to mediocre (over cooked pasta). My husband's meal was really good (salad followed by short ribs). So, the food, on balance was quite good, except my pasta. The prices were fair.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and quiet brunchSFDinerDined on 11/10/2013My husband and I went there for brunch. The service was a little slow (the place was not busy) at first but got better later. The caesar salad was excellent. Eggs Benedicts dish was good. With the big sky light in the middle, it is a great place for brunch. Very relax and pleasant.Special Features:
- Never Lets You DownjoemnaroDined on 11/8/2013Love the food, ambiance and service at Lark Creek Tavern! I have never been disappointed with a meal and could sit there for hours visiting with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food & place, poor servicecaltuckersDined on 11/7/2013Relatives were in town from east coast and had one night to spend in Marin. We chose Lark Creek Tavern as the place they would experience truly delicious Marin dining. Our party of 7 had a very nice table, enjoyed lovely meals with great wines. Our service, however, was very poor. Our server consistently interrupted our conversation to "check" on us; she butchered the cork of a very expensive Merry Edwards Pinot, and then didn't allow us to taste it - poured full servings to everyone. I'm not a wine-snob, though my sister is a Napa Valley winemaker, but we would have appreciated the courtesy of tasting the wine first. I'm not sure our relatives noticed, but we, locals, were very disappointed with this service at an A+ restaurant. Too bad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unfortunate experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/5/2013I LOVE the Tavern -- have had many parties there. Just took important clients & most of the staff were very accomodating. Even had to move tables because more clients showed up. That said, our server was horrible! She missed appetizer requests -- and that was okay. We gave her our credit card early so we could pay -- and she forgot she had it. I could forgive all of that -- but not what happened to my client. My client has food allergies and she looked like she took the time to take every detail of her order down -- then when the rest of us got our meals, my client's never came. When we asked she shrugged her shoulders and said she was sorry. Said the kitchen was closing and asked if she should have them stop and cook the meal! REALLY!?Special Features:
- Always an enjoyable experience!mduysDined on 11/3/2013We have been going to Lark Creek for years to celebrate special occasions and we always find it a lovely experience. We especially love the patio dining whether it's for brunch or dinner (with heat lamps). Recently, we celebrated my sister's birthday with brunch on the patio. I had the most amazing mushroom bisque!! It's also a great venue for all ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was quite good but very, veryShirazVIPDined on 11/1/2013Four of us dined here on Friday night. We had dined here a few timed but do not recall it being as noisy as it was on Friday. We could barely hear each other. The Tuna tartar was a nice size but lacked a firm flavor. I had to add lemon. The Beet salad was tasty and quite large (perhaps 2 people could have shared it). The Caesar salad was OK. For the main courses, the lamb fusili was quite tasty and enjoyable. The trout was rated as just OK, nothing to write home about. The sweetbreads were apparently very good and tasty. This is obviously a very popular restaurants and the service was excellent. It was a pity that the noise level was really loud and spoiled the dinner for us.Special Features:
- Gave it another try, bad ideaCav86VIPDined on 11/1/2013We went to Lark Creek for our anniversary and had a terrible experience. Although the restaurant was half empty when we arrived for our reservation, they tried to seat us in the middle of a brightly lit room next to a large group. No thanks. After "putting out" the hostess by asking for a different seat, our service was spotty all night. The food was just okay. Particularly disappointing was a salad that arrived with dressing only. Apparently you can request more items, but I wasn't asked if I wanted them. Unless you are 65 or over (which appears to be their main fan base) there are many better options around!
- Fantastic!JillDined on 10/28/2013When I'm willing to travel 45 minutes to have a great dining experience, you know it's good. This is my go to place for whenever I want to feel the cozy, nurturing experience of being surrounded by redwoods and be served with friendly attention and fabulous seasonal food. Besides, it's one place I can count on to understand my gluten intolerance and I have confidence in being taken care of all around. For anyone that enjoys locally grown food and a chef that knows how to harmonize flavors, I suggest giving it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food & wonderful ambience!!nicnameDined on 10/21/2013A GREAT restaurant for a romantic dinner! The bar has beers & wines on tap and makes great cocktails. The menu has seasonal specialties, and the kitchen uses pastured meats at a reasonable price. The polenta ragout was incredible, and the roasted chicken was 5-star. The wild mushroom bisque didn't come how we ordered it but was still good. Dessert was buttermilk chocolate cake w/cocoa nib ice cream, just as delicious as it sounds (beautiful too!). Our waitress was very attentive & friendly and provided smooth service with a smile. Overall, our favorite was the polenta & the least favorite was the chocolate cake. You know it was an amazing dinner when the worst thing you had was a delicious piece of buttermilk chocolate cake... ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & ServiceHungryGuyVIPDined on 10/21/2013The Monday night fried chicken special was EXCELLENT. Also notably good: the soup du jour and the fish. Our server Colleen was wonderful: quick, efficient, warm, friendly and unobtrusive. She made a great meal even better!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The original Lark Creek restaurant!RavenVIPDined on 10/19/2013The Tavern is an exceptional dining experience. This evening I had their awesome burger with blue cheese. My girlfriend had the Prime Rib (which is only available certain nights). She was very excited as that's her favorite. Both meals were exceptionally prepared and extremely delicious. It's a rare treat to go to the Tavern as it's an hour and half away from my house ... and a commute through SF. However, it's very much worth it. I have dreams of one day gathering a big group of friends in their upstairs private room. Oh and we finished of dinner with a great chocolate cake! Oh and I forgot ... the bread they bring to the table is awesome and accompanied with a lovely salted butter. MMMm .... go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant ChoicevalbarDined on 10/19/2013Out of country guest & she was very impressed with the service and the food, it was a big hit. My halibut was cooked to perfection & my friend had the short ribs. Look forward to my next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner & Dancing FunMangianitaDined on 10/14/2013The Dine & Dance Tango night began with Happy Hour (ask what's included in lowered prices). We 6 dancers had fun learning to Tango like the Stars from an excellent teacher. A generous 3 course dinner: choice of two salads, three main courses, three desserts. Caesar salads featured full leaves of romaine; the spring garden salad came in a huge bowl with just the right amount of dressing. My chicken arrived perfectly moist, covered with a light sauce, surrounded by baby potatoes, baby carrots (not out of a bag), and miniature parsnips. Mixed berry crumble with vanilla ice cream looked amazingly large, but we consumed it all--delicious. Our efficient, professional server, made the evening a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ruderespectDined on 10/13/2013receptionist did not care if we waited even though we strived to be on time and we were the only customers at the place. then she gave us a table that we could hit our leg on and told us even though the receptionist had the entire place to offer us. scones were not good
- Friday night dinnerfoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2013Received very good service until near the end of the meal towards dessert. Waitperson disappeared. Seemed to be serving the bar area in addition to the dining area. Food was excellent as expected.
- understaffed?chopsDined on 10/6/2013We had a 6 pm res. on a Sunday evening - arrived earlier than planned at 5:30 - practically empty dining room yet we were seated next to a pole at a small two-person table when we could easily have been given a larger table. Service was ridiculously slow and we understood a bit because of a wedding & reception being held on the grounds, but even so, the dining room was not full when we were there. Unfortunate experience since we don't dine often in So. Marin & chose the Tavern over many other nice, moderate restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved sitting outside. ServiceevieVIPDined on 10/6/2013Loved sitting outside. Service a bit slow. Food good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a classic!datvVIPDined on 9/22/2013I've forgotten how good this place is! What a beautiful atmosphere, terrific service from Amanda, and the brunch food we had was terrific. I'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I Tried it.TimelessmanDined on 9/21/2013Our 7:30 Sat reservations were ready. The place reminds me of the inn in the 1942 film "Holiday Inn". Refreshing, homey feel. We ordered the beet salad and corn chowder to start. It was a cold chowder, which my date didn't expect, but she reported it as good. My salad was delicious. I had the salmon with black rice and my date had the lamb fusilli. Both dishes were absolutely outstanding as was our cream puff-like fruit dessert. The only negative was that the servers didn't seem up to the standard of the rest of the restaurant. We weren't offered after dinner drinks with our dessert and they made us feel somewhat rushed throughout the meal, which is a BIG NO NO for me in an otherwise fine dining establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect eveningdlamaDined on 9/20/2013The souffle appetizer was delicious, rich so perfect to share.The beet salad was not something I would order again, the beets overcooked and flavourless. My steak was phenomenal, cooked perfectly and melt in your mouth flavour. The ginger beer was disappointingly sweet with no spice. My waitress was great and took it back without a hitch. The other disappointment was the Butterscotch pudding, no butterscotch flavour! I let our waitress know and she again was completely understanding brought us the chocolate cake which was delicious, the coffee was outstanding. Amanda gets an A+, the meal a BSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite standbynonicknameVIPDined on 9/15/2013When I say it's our favorite standby - after trying new restaurants, it's always a pleasure to dine at the Tavern. We really enjoy it - it's such a relaxing, enjoyable experience. The servers and staff are all so friendly and accommodating. And, of course, the food is consistently fresh and delicious. Thanks to the Lark Creek group.Special Features:
- Great friendly wait person.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2013Great friendly wait person. Beautiful restaurant. Good menu and nice presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can count Lark CreekKathDined on 9/13/2013Tavern on Lark Creeks has a very appealing ambiance. The Bar area is very vibrant and offers dining too. It you would like a little less activity ask for a corner in either of the other rooms. I started with a lemon drop and the blue cheese souffle which is killer. My husband says he will have three of those time. The salad compliments the small souffle. It is very subtle and flavorful at he same time. I had the evening special a single cut pork chop with a very complimentary spicy,,,,,but not too spicy sauce. It was excellent. My husband had the hamburger and a martini. That's about as good as it gets. The server was very, very helpful and kind. She was being shadowed by a new server who was very, very attentive and pleasant.Special Features:
- Wish this was in my neighborhood!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2013I love the Tavern at Lark Creek, have been there a few times and it always feels relaxed yet attentive to me there. I love the food, and the ambiance is just right. Wish I lived closer, but it's worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchMarvDined on 8/25/2013As I have heard before, service is up and down,it took us twenty min to get our drinks, we expressed out thoughts to the server, about the service, food was very goodSpecial Features:
- The food, service and thePattyDined on 8/25/2013The food, service and the restuarant setting were generally pleasant. The main issue we had was that it took a long time for the food to arrive at the table. Also, I needed to go ask for the check. We had a fairly large party, 8 people, but still we waited too long for the food. One of our party had to leave soon and we had to ask that the food be brought out for her as soon as possible.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Tavern at Lark CreekOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/18/2013I first heard of Bradley Ogden when he worked at Campton Place and continued to read about him and his career. Having been on holiday on the Pt. Reyes Peninsula I thought we should celebrate my son's birthday at the Tavern at Lark Creek on the way home to Los Angeles. Everything was excellent! The Blue Cheese Souffle appetizer was divine, light and flavorful. The Eggs Benedict on biscuits, one with ham and the other, salmon, were delicious. My grandaughter ordered French Toast covered with a variety of red fruit.. She thought there were too many pieces but ate all of them. My trout with capers was moist, cooked perfectly Loved the Famosa drink. If we lived in the San Francisco area we would return often to this outstanding restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Champagne and martini wasSusieDined on 8/17/2013Champagne and martini was not cold enough and latte was not hot enough...............food was great! Outdoor dining was a delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome addition to Newport!OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/16/2013LC brings a chef driven menu to Newport. Great tasting ceviche and wood grilled steaks. Creative cocktail list as well. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Tavern at Lark CreekJackDined on 8/10/2013Friendly, effficient, warm atmosphere. Varied menu with tempting specials. Located amid a redwood grove in downtown Larkspur. A nice little town in which to walk off a bit of overindulgence. A bit noisy, which makes it a great place for a small dinner party. Reommended for fine food, informal surrondings and friendly service in a great spot.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2013The Tavern at Lark Creek is truly a wonderful dining experience. A place I have wanted to dine at for a very long time. The location and ambiance are amazing. The food is delicious with beautiful presentation. The portions are on the smaller side. Since menu prices are high, this is only a place that can be visited celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/4/2013I live in the city but spend a lot of time in Marin and had been wanting to try Lark Creek for brunch for awhile. My boyfriend and I finally did this weekend and it definitely did not disappoint! We sat outside on the back deck which was lovely. I had a veggie scramble, he had the eggs Benedict, and we shared a pastry basket. Everything was delicious! And the portions were very generous. We are big brunch goers in the city and Lark Creek Tavern might be our new favorite! My boyfriend said the eggs Benedict was one of the best he's ever had, and that's saying a lot :)Special Features:
- Always a Pleasure to Dine HereOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/2/2013The Tavern at Lark Creek is consistently great. Whether it be the staff or the food, we always leave happy. It really is a neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Except for the high noiseLuvs2dinequietlyDined on 7/28/2013Except for the high noise level, all six of us enjoyed the relaxed comfortable dining experience. The rainbow trout and halibut were delicious -- soft, moist, and tasty, cooked just right. The one thing which bothered us was the high level of noise. We could barely hear the persons sitting across the table. If the restaurant can control the noise level, it would have been a much better dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.