The Oval Room
800 Connecticut Avenue
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Oval Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ovalroom.com/
- Phone: 2024638700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm , Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tony Conte
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The newly renovated Oval Room has 2 private party rooms accommodating 20 to 75 guests for a seated dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Ashline 2024638700x
A word from The Oval Room
The Oval Room, an elegant & sophisticated restaurant, near Farragut Square across from the White House, which accounts for its popularity among politicians, journalists, lobbyists, lawyers, & former Presidents. The setting is contemporary & chic. It offers private dining. Its seasonal contemporary American cuisine has charmed critics & connoisseurs alike. USA Today said The Oval Room's flower-bedecked patio is one of the best outdoor dining experiences in the United States. The Oval Room has been awarded the "Distinguished Restaurant of North America Award".The Oval Room is honored to be Modern Luxury Washington D.C.’s “Restaurant of the Year”! Executive Chef Tony Conte and his team are serving some incredible, seasonal dishes and would love to see you at The Oval Room soon. To read the Modern Luxury Washington D.C. story, please visit:Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Oval Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Oval Room reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)special occasion (71)great for lunch (41)romantic (38)great for outdoor dining (35)notable wine list (24)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (17)hot spot (9)scenic view (6)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- I have been dining at theAllieBVIPDined on 4/3/2008I have been dining at the Oval Room on and off for many years but lately it has become one of my favorite restaurants. The food is invariably excellent and the service superior without being obsequious. Given that more often than not I dine there for lunch, I have not had an opportunity to explore the wine list, although I expect it is also excellent. The Oval Room is one of very few restaurants in the area with an excellent outdoor area which makes for pleasurable early evening dining in the summer months.Special Features:
- The room was elegant and theCiaoMaineVIPDined on 4/2/2008The room was elegant and the servers knowledgeable without pretension or intrusiveness. Diners were not rushed and the food was worth lingering over. A menu of daily specials took advantage of seasonal ingredients. Portion sizes were satisfying , i.e. leaving one neither hungry nor bloated. And the prices at lunch were more than reasonable for the overall quality of the dining experience.Special Features:
- A mixed bag: very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2008A mixed bag: very friendly staff, front of room person excellent, as was sommelier. Long wait for wine order, long wait between courses, and waited 20 minutes for dessert order, gave up and left. Very inventive food, excellent flairs, but main course (striped bass) undercooked.Special Features:
- I'm a frequent traveller toOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/29/2008I'm a frequent traveller to DC and have made this my new favorite place.... great food great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Knowledgeable, polished staffOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/28/2008Knowledgeable, polished staff offered good service. Great food presentation. Food portions small to average. Nice wine selection.Special Features:
- Excellent and interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/25/2008Excellent and interesting fare - fresh, unique and unexpected; terrific, personalized service (our waiter made our cocktails himself and waited to get our reactions).Special Features:
- Food is outstanding. LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2008Food is outstanding. Location is outstanding - across from the White House. Not kid friendly. Brought my 5 year old and no accomadations could be made regarding food choices. Charlie Palmer's has mini-hamburgers (not on the menu), DC Coast, Butterfield 9 have done a crab cake or simple fish dish. Bombay Club across the street did a simple tandori dish. I understand most people would not bring young children but on special occasions (Easter, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day), better accomadations could be provided. Price was not a factor in this response.Special Features:
- Each time we have gone, weOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/22/2008Each time we have gone, we are surprised by the quality of food and its presentation. The restaurant is somewhat pricey, and its wine list offers few selections for under $45-50. It is the best of Ashok's restaurants, but we reserve it for special times.Special Features:
- Stunning decor, professionalismMRMBAofGWUVIPDined on 3/22/2008Stunning decor, professionalism and attentiveness of the staff was above and beyond anything we ever experienced. My mother felt treated like a princess! The Foie Gras Dumplings were succulent and tempting. Juiciest Pork I ever had and the Duck was moist with great crispy searing. Dessert were light and refreshingly tasty, especially blood orange sorbet with fennel cookie and charred pineapple. Flavors were divine. Portions are reasonable, service is immaculate with great attention to detail, patience and eagerness to help us journey through dining experience. Most memorable evening and we are planning to return fairly soon. Chef Tony Conte and our waiter Adnan made my mother's birthday a lifetime moment she will always remember!Special Features:
- Outstanding service and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/21/2008Outstanding service and great food. The tasting menu with the wine selections was great!Special Features:
- Having been recently disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/19/2008Having been recently disappointed by some of DC's top restaurants, we decided to give Oval Room a try for a special occasion. We could not have been happier. The food was phenomenal, the wait staff was attentive without being intrusive, the wine list was incredible, and the lighting and art were pitch perfect. A+++Special Features:
- The delightful ambience wasDaveWilsonVIPDined on 3/18/2008The delightful ambience was disrupted by one very loud patron. Not the restaurant's fault.
- Very expensive and the smallOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2008Very expensive and the small portions of food were just okay.
- We eat here often and haveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/9/2008We eat here often and have always had a wonderful experience. It is nice for a romantic dinner, to celebrate a special event or a dinner before an evening event.Special Features:
- Very nice place. Found itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/2/2008Very nice place. Found it to be a little old of a crowd for me (I am 21). Good food, not great. More of a place for those that work on the Hill, and far from trendy.
- restaurant week offering worthsamrosVIPDined on 1/18/2008restaurant week offering worth every penny. portions were just right. i would recommend it anytime, and plan to return soon. my only complaint is that the tables are so close to each other you couldn't really have a private conversation, and you could hear everything the people at the adjacent tables said.
- Was super Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/11/2007Food was amazing. I only wish I was able to order the Giner Martini..... They had sold out.... But no worries I was able to order another coctail!Special Features:
- Quietly elegant, includingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/3/2007Quietly elegant, including the service. The wine list is excellent, and the food tastes fresh and is well-prepared.Special Features:
- The food was good, but theFancyNancyVIPDined on 11/22/2007The food was good, but the service was abysmal. The food came with unexplained delay--the restaurant was no more than half full. We had a positive experience when we went the first time but the ssecond time was a joke. We left a critique but heard nothing. We will not be back.
- Always enjoy dinner at theOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/9/2007Always enjoy dinner at the Oval Room, except during restaurant week when it is all about fast service and turning over tables. This is expected. Otherwise Oval Room is a delight.Special Features:
- Over rated, over priced food.YummyVIPDined on 5/26/2007Over rated, over priced food. Disappointed would not go back.