The Oval Room
800 Connecticut Avenue
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Oval Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ovalroom.com/
- Phone: 2024638700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm , Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tony Conte
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The newly renovated Oval Room has 2 private party rooms accommodating 20 to 75 guests for a seated dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Todd Ashline 2024638700x
A word from The Oval Room
The Oval Room, an elegant & sophisticated restaurant, near Farragut Square across from the White House, which accounts for its popularity among politicians, journalists, lobbyists, lawyers, & former Presidents. The setting is contemporary & chic. It offers private dining. Its seasonal contemporary American cuisine has charmed critics & connoisseurs alike. USA Today said The Oval Room's flower-bedecked patio is one of the best outdoor dining experiences in the United States. The Oval Room has been awarded the "Distinguished Restaurant of North America Award".The Oval Room is honored to be Modern Luxury Washington D.C.’s “Restaurant of the Year”! Executive Chef Tony Conte and his team are serving some incredible, seasonal dishes and would love to see you at The Oval Room soon. To read the Modern Luxury Washington D.C. story, please visit:Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Oval Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Oval Room reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)special occasion (71)great for lunch (41)romantic (38)great for outdoor dining (35)notable wine list (24)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (17)hot spot (9)scenic view (6)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Tour de forceABermanVIPDined on 2/3/2014The meal was among the best I have experienced, innovative and beautiful. Hats off to the chef and applause for best service. Oval Room is well worth going out of your way for a perfect meal. The black truffled pasta appetizer was heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service. Well conceivedDC52VIPDined on 1/29/2014Excellent service. Well conceived offerings with a diverse selection. The two of us enjoyed excellent soup and truffle pasta starters and salmon and duck (not to be missed) entres. When we wanted a lighter dessert we were offered a pleasing sorbet. Excellent, attentive but not overbearing service. Great place to have a serious conversation without having to shout or strain to hear. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We both had fish which wereCBC1Dined on 1/28/2014We both had fish which were executed perfectly-and beautifully presented. A first soup and salad course was also excellentSpecial Features:
- Nice DinnertbethinmaineDined on 1/25/2014This is a perfect special occasion spot. We very rarely find a place where we feel like both the food and the service are exceptional. Our server timed everything perfectly and was polite and responsive yet unobtrusive. The salmon was excellent. We were disappointed that the desserts on the three-course menu were not available a la carte; we asked for the cheesecake and my feeling is if they have it in the kitchen they should have come up with an a la carte price and given it to us. There may be a good reason for this policy though, so we weren't too bothered. Other than that everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2014My sister and I dined for Restaurant Week, we were not disappointed... The Salmon was made to perfection and the Pork dish was divine, I even loved the brussel sprouts. The service was great, and the atmosphere was warm and cozy, I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!AnneLDined on 1/25/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner last night at The Oval Room. The food was outstanding, the service fantastic, and the timing perfect.Special Features:
- Lunch treatScepticDined on 1/20/2014The Oval Room is more than very good, if the max. rating is 4 , it deserves a 3.5. The imagination of the chef (kitchen) is outstanding; the food is presented creatively; It's very much a treat to guess how one' s order will be prepared and presented.Even the chocolate mousse does not come as a tasty puddle. It's a great bonus to be able to have a quiet conversation. My miniscule criticism is the vegetable done-ness. My clever brussel sprouts slice, for example, could have been slightly softer, ditto the pleasing beet appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply ExcellentEatsoutalotDined on 1/19/2014My wife and I went to the Oval Room during Restaurant Week, and unlike some restaurants who participate in the offering, the Oval Room put out some fantastic dishes to try. We each had different courses and shared - I had the duck confit "tots", scallops, and apple crumb cheesecake (you'll have to look at the menu to see what they are really called!). My wife had the shrimp, steak, and carrot cake. The only complaint was from my wife, who would've preferred my dessert to her own. The decor was outstanding-though muted and calming, as far as colors go, it was comfortable and luxurious. The wait-staff was terrific also, if not just a tad bit stiff - still, very knowledgable and helpful/attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week 2014SFfromDCDined on 1/18/2014Had a group of 6 of us and thankfully we didn't have early seating. We started dining at 8:30 and all of us would have really enjoyed doing all 3 courses again. The food really was that good. Between us we covered over 80% of the menu and no one was unsatisfied with their courses or meal. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was really great,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014The food was really great, but the portion sizes were smallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find! All over again!BrunchtimeVIPDined on 1/18/2014Intimate, elegant and deee-lish! We had lost track of the marvelous Oval Room for DINNER!! Yes--around for years! steady for those "power lunches." Maybe her uber-popularity sent us to the several equally superb sister restaurants? Returning was superb dining. Every course was pure Freshness, expertly prepared, plated and presented. The culinary skills produced divine flavors! Go -- make your reservations & GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassyTortikDined on 1/17/2014This place is very classy! The staff is great, outstanding service. The food is also great, the portions look small, but you won't leave disappointed. I would go to this place over and over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standards were lowered forMuddDined on 1/17/2014Standards were lowered for Restaurant week. My food was not hot, and pork loin was under seasoned. Service was rushed and we where hurried out of the Restaurant. Our server bought out our bill with our deserts still on the table and a half of bottle of wine left. I understand the need to turn tables but our dinning experience was less that 40 mins. My app was taken away while I was still "enjoying" the food.
- YikesOEHokieDined on 1/17/2014The starter of cheese and beets was wonderful. The two main courses were a flat iron steak and a pork chop. Both were tough, with one of the chops being under in the middle and burnt on the outside. The two desserts were a cheesecake and a chocolate tort. The cheesecake was more akin to a cheesecake pudding and not good, let alone misleading. And I can't say this without being harsh so I'll just say it: the chocolate tort reminded me of being a kid and eating a black forest cake sitting out at a golden corral. It was bad. Out of six courses, only two were eaten. It wasn't a great atmosphere either. This was supposed to be a really nice date. Thank God for the company, because the meal was awful.
- Nice Dinner, Small Portionsodeezy55Dined on 1/17/2014We went during restaurant week and really enjoyed ourselves, but it was pretty expensive and the portions were tiny - I had to eat again later that night. Good for dates and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What It Used to BeMehMehDined on 1/17/2014I miss the dishes that would wow me. The food is good, but not what it used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make you feel specialEmilyBVIPDined on 1/16/2014You feel cheated when a restaurant modifies the menu within an inch of its life during Restaurant Week. But The Oval Room doesn't do that, they make you feel special, like a valued guest even when you go during Restaurant Week. I would recommend for professional lunches, and business meetings.Special Features:
- Visit spoiled by very rude Maitre'dFedFoodieDined on 1/16/2014Our reservation was for 11:30 and even though my USDA colleague and I Ieft our Waterfront office at 11, we were about 15 minutes late due to Metro and walk from Farragut. I gave my name to the two Maitre'd's at the door, and they immediately looked at each other and said "under their breath", "oh, that was the 11:30 reservation".... The shorter man showed us to a table in the small service area, and before we had been seated, he proceeded to tell us that they were very busy that day and they would appreciate it if they could turn our table around very quickly! Mind you there were only 3-4 other tables with people at them at that point in the same room. I've never experienced a more rude introduction to any restaurant, anywhere in DC!
- Great food! Fantastic servicegloriousfoodDined on 1/14/2014Went there for Restaurant Week - the food was delicious, especially the salmon. That beet salad was to incredible - will definitely be going back for dinner soon. The bottle of white wine we ordered, Educated Guess, was a perfect pairing to our meal.Special Features:
- Swept AwayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2014I cannot say enough great things about The Oval Room. We were warmly greeted and seated in a quiet corner next to the window. I wrote in the reservation that it was our anniversary and wasn't expecting anything, but to our delight we were brought two complimentary glasses of bubbly. At first I thought being in the quiet corner we would be forgotten about, but not at all. We were attentively waited on, water glasses filled, wine poured and dinner was served at a welcoming pace. The food was delish, I had the salmon and beet salad and my fiancé had the steak. Yum yum yum. On our way out the evening manager shook our hands and said thank you and helped me put on my coat. I felt extra special that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oval Room is TopsTenleytown4561Dined on 1/13/2014What a find! Great food, atmosphere and quiet! When did you last have a quiet dinner out? We will definitely be going again. It was a restaurant week that got us there. From the shrimp appetizer to the beet salad with goat cheese and pistachios to an entree to perfectly cooked salmon to a twist on cheesecake it was all sublime. Great service and 5 stars !Special Features:
- Deserves its accoladesDinnerDivaVIPDined on 1/10/2014On a Friday night, our two couples wanted great food and a setting sufficiently quiet that we could talk easily. We were amply rewarded at the Oval Room. Although the menu changes often, I'll mention my meal. The beet salad was nicely tangy, and the cod perfectly cooked and garnished. We shared two desserts -- passion fruit curd and black forest cake. Both were excellent. My nod might go to the passion fruit for a repeat. We talked about returning regularly to the Oval Room rather than going other places for our occasional dinner dates. The restaurant richly deserves its regular listings among DC's finest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still spectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/10/2014Went for a business lunch. Gentlemen I was with had never been. He was very impressed with the food and service. Told me this is one he will add to his list of places to take clients. Food was superb as usual.Special Features:
- We were at the Oval Room forsaraDined on 12/31/2013We were at the Oval Room for New Years Eve -- It never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EveellencVIPDined on 12/31/2013We had dinner there for the first time New Years Eve. The men was a prix fixed menu but the options were very interesting and unique. The portions were nice, the flavors delicious and the service excellent. I'd like to go back another time to see the regular menu.Special Features:
- A new favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2013My husband and I have been searching for a new favorite place since moving to the area. All I can say is wow. The service is wonderful and the food is incredible. We aren't big wine drinkers but the Malbac we had was very good, and when I asked for a 'sweet, fruity cocktail' I was given a drink that was nicely sweet without being too strong. We weren't sure what parking would be like so we took the metro, but we noted three or four parking garages even closer than the metro stop. I've already recommended this place to my coworkers as a place they must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've dined at Oval Room twiceGoudaGritsDined on 12/27/2013We've dined at Oval Room twice recently and had excellent meals both times. It's been surprising that there weren't more clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing & not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2013Dined Christmas Eve. Checked set menu online first, which wasn’t terrific, but did have an appetizer, an entree and two desserts that interested us. Menu was different at restaurant and all preferred dishes were gone; they ran out of second choice entree before we could order. Clearly one of the dessert substitutions was for a cheaper item. There was nothing special or festive about the restaurant - except for the valet working in the bitter cold, the rest of the staff were indifferent or surly. Why bother to open on a holiday like this when the place fills up, but menu is limited, and the staff uninterested. Likely my last visit here.
- Oval room continues to pleaseDesnaDCVIPDined on 12/24/2013Five of us dined at Oval room on Christmas Eve. The menu was a 3-course prix fix with optional wine pairing. The food was fabulous as always. I continue to believe this is one of the best restaurants in DC. The service was a bit off, but the waiters were pleasant and kind. We will be back!Special Features:
- Service Needs ImprovementOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2013The food was excellent. The ambiance was fair; we were unfortunately seated near the front door and coat closet, where it was cold and constantly interruptive. Our server, while earnest and hard working, was not experienced and our service suffered because of it. He was not familiar with the bar offerings and we were forced to change our cocktail orders several times. Our orders were taken after a significant wait and the server abruptly left the table while we were ordering to service an adjacent table. Finally, coffee was not offered with dessert prompting us to track down our server for a cup of coffee.Special Features:
- I was there for lunch duringUrbandwellerVIPDined on 12/24/2013I was there for lunch during Restaurant Week six years ago, and went back with my family for Christmas Eve this year. We were not disappointed, the appetizers, main dishes chosen by all of us were so flavorful, that we were tempted to lick the plates! The dessert choices are good, but not as outstanding as the others. We figured that the dessert might be brought in from outside, more like a typical presentation. Will be back the next possible chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013I arrived before the restaurant's official opening time of 5:30, on a freezing-cold Christmas Eve. The staff was so welcoming, invited me in from the cold and made me a cup of hot tea to warm up. This kind, intelligent service was present throughout our meal. The food and atmosphere were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and elegantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2013We try to get to the Oval Room at least every few months, to catch the seasonal menu changes. This time we sampled a starter of fresh truffles with handmade pasta--a sinful combination. Our main dish orders of veal tenderloin and duck breast were creative, elegantly presented, and appropriate to the winter season. The Oval Room rarely has a misstep. We look forward to our return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A One Time TrygoodtasteVIPDined on 12/20/2013Made a last minute reservation for the Oval Room because it was close to my mine and my wife's place of work. I read that politicians and local celebrities dined here, especially at lunch time. The atmosphere is nice, the service good, but the food is not worth the price paid in our opinions. We MIGHT eat lunch here someday, but it won't be at the top of our list given the numerous other good lower price choices.
- Dishes were imaginative andbernsDined on 12/19/2013Dishes were imaginative and varied--presentation excellent. Prices were not astronomical--decor subdued modern. I recommend it for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunch successDinnerDivaVIPDined on 12/18/2013The menu offered good options for my business lunch guest, who eats fish & veggies. We had an 11:30 am reservation. The dining room was quiet and the service prompt. The butternut soup was fabulous and the mushroom fettucine decent, although a bit salty for my palate. The Oval Room is one of my go-to places for business luncheons. It's particularly handy if someone is coming by Metro, since it's close to both of the Farragut West and Farragut North.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/17/2013They only had one fish choice of the three on the menu. Fish sold out at lunch! Waiter was not notified that only one fish was on menu so he took orders then had to come back. Average food and we had more sparkling water than we needed! The waiter just kept refilling our glasses! Went for staff lunch. Not the service and food I expected! Dessert was good. On a health point of view you could say the food for perfect! Light and non-greasy. Right portion size. Could improve on menu selections! Thank you.Special Features:
- Excellent surpriseEBinDCDined on 12/7/2013We were enchanted from the first dish to the dessert, really fabulous! The fois gras was PERFECT, the lobster was cooked PERFECTLY, tender not rubbery or tough which can be the case, and the desserts were intensely flavorful. The portion sizes were just right, my best girl friend and I able to eat every bite (almost), happily satiated at the end. Truly a wonderful surprise in this peaceful space.Special Features:
- Quiet, romantic dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2013My husband and I went to Oval Room for a pre-theater dinner the other night. We NEVER get out without the kids, so this was a special occasion for us. I picked this restaurant, so I was nervous but hopeful that it would live up to my expectations for such a rare night out. It didn't disappoint! We had fantastic service from the time they took our car at the valet until we were back in the car driving away. The menu had great options, and the food was superb. Before kids, we used to be foodies who loved going to fine dining restaurants. The Oval Room doesn't disappoint!Special Features:
- Excellent food an service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/6/2013Excellent food an service! The atmosphere was very romantic and the temperature inside was set comfortably which seems to be a problem in other restaurants. Waiters didn't push you to get out and allowed you to take your time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.