Barolo - New Canaan
136 Main Street
New Canaan, CT 06840Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Barolo - New Canaan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barolonewcanaan.com/
- Phone: 2039201515
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am-11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Barolo - New Canaan
Barolo Wine Bar & Trattoria is located on Main St. in New Canaan. We offer authentic Italian cuisine with a menu that celebrates the Piedmontese tradition. Our pizzas and pastas are made from scratch, in-house every day and our salumi, hand selected directly from Italy. Our dining room offers a full menu from 5pm and our bar area, open late, serves up thin crust pizzas, fresh shellfish, and other bar bites all night long. At Barolo Trattoria & Wine Bar, a glass half full just means it's time for one more. Come enjoy one with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barolo - New Canaan reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (28)notable wine list (26)special occasion (20)good for groups (17)romantic (17)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Third time..not a charmAandBdiningVIPDined on 5/15/2014Barolo went from being our favorite restaurant to a terrible dining experience! We were a party of six celebrating a birthday. The waitress - assistant manager was lovely at first . appetizers were good but then we waited a about 20 minutes after that for our main course. That wouldn't have been so bad except the pasta was cold and the chicken was greasy! Would have complained to waitress-assistant manager but she was everywhere except at our table. We waited about 25 minutes from time our plates taken and finally asked someone to find her. She came over with a Very nasty attitude and argued that we weren't waiting that long.isn't the customer always right? Very unprofessional. I could go on, but enough to say we will not be back.
- Mother's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014There was a "special" menu with limited choices, i.e., only 3 dessert choices. The service was terribly slow, waiter didn't know who got what meal, and didn't ask if we wanted more coffee. The food was adequate. The crab salad was 90% mayo and the artichoke appetizer was 90% fried. The lamb chops were good, but they should be for $38.
- Waitress forgot our main coursefoodie101Dined on 5/10/2014After we had our appetizer, our waitress proceeded to clean our table and asked if we wanted coffee and dessert. I told her that we didn't yet have our main course. That was when she realized that she forgot to put in our main course order to their kitchen. As a result, we waited a long time for our food. When it finally came, my husbands pasta was the wrong one. I don't think this restaurant knows what they are doing. Would not go back.
- FIRST EXPERIENCE VERY GOODdaisymaeDined on 5/9/2014fIRST TIME DINNER WAS WONDERFUL FRIDAY EVENING, SERVICE A LITTLE SLOW, HOUSE WINES VERY NICE, FOOD GREAT, WILL RETURN!Special Features:
- relaxed eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/6/2014Lunch was simple pizza and salads, but exquisite and beautifully presented. Attentive service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2014Barolo is a welcomed addition to the restaurant scene. The decor is magnificent and they have gone to great lengths to ensure quiet dining. The food and service were excellent. We will return soon.Special Features:
- Horrific operationallyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We had reservations at 8:45 and were finally seated at 9:37 in the front of the restaurant at a table not for dining! One small, "sorry the people at your table are still there" and we heard nothing. No follow-up, no sorry, no would you like a glass of wine! The service started off well, it's not the wait person's fault so we settled in and well, that too was disappointing. We felt rushed. She forgot to serve the last third of the wine in our bottle. Again no recognition of our wait. It would have taken so little to have made us feel better. Too bad, the food was good. (I can't comment on the ambience as we never saw anything but the hostess station and the front table.) I have no idea what the rest of the place looked like!
- Good after we sat downGreenwichbornDined on 5/3/2014We lived the food & after a rough start( 30 min wait) the manager finally did the right thing & bought us a round. Food was excellent/ not noisy/ great waiter- definitely going back. Hostess gal could use some more manners & smiles- but overall very nice dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steve from Stamford on April 26th..SteveDined on 4/26/2014Barolo is a wonderful new spot in downtown New Canaan. The atmosphere, ambiance and service were impeccable. The food was of very high quality with good size portions. Prime-time reservations are difficult to get, so either book far in advance or be flexible on your time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/23/2014Very nice spot for lunch. Make your own salad is a great idea.Special Features:
- We were greeted by a friendlyAgrcDined on 4/6/2014We were greeted by a friendly hostess who gave us a choice of tables. She realised our server was busy so she took drink orders. Our server described the specials when delivering our drinks which was appreciated. All of our questions were answered and advice was helpful. Salads and apps were very good. Main courses took awhile to arrive but dessert- sorbets and carrot cake, took an eternity. The food was very good and we were told it was coming shortly but the time lag was noticeable. The restaurant had various seating options and excellent sound diminishing panels on the ceiling. The staff was exceptionally pleasant and helpful.Special Features:
- Delicious, great social ambiencelolaDined on 4/3/2014I had heard that the food was mediocre and the service very slow. But I wanted to see for myself and I'm glad I did. The bar is very fun, the restaurant itself is open and lively and my dinner was delicious. I will definitely be going back there often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great renovationOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/1/2014Our server was terrific as was the bartender. The renovation makes much better use of the space and is very well done, very attractive. We had the meatballs and tuna starters and they were wonderful. Our entrees were good, the pork chop special okay and the Veal Milenase lacked seasoning. We feel the food will get better and better and that Barola will soon be a hot spot!
- The food was very good friendlyDCarolDined on 4/1/2014The food was very good friendly service and the best is the restaurant's noise level- it is perfect. Just enough lively sounds to lend to a lively atmosphere butl allows you to have .a conversation without shouting.Special Features:
- Great New Restaurant in New CanaanKellyDined on 3/29/2014Barolo is what New Canaan was waiting for. They have delicious homemade pastas, wonderful specials, excellent entrees and the staff is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious freshly made cheesesAandBdiningVIPDined on 3/29/2014Delicious freshly made cheeses and the best fresh pasta we have had since Italy. The only complaint is that the tables for two are so close together that we felt we were a part of the conversation of the couples on either side of us.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantdebbiedoesgolfDined on 3/27/2014Fabulous food & wine, service over the top, very friendly and informedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair at bestLadyinCTVIPDined on 3/22/2014Food mediocre for all 4 people. My pasta with shrimp was not even real shrimp - chopped rock shrimp I think and so dry. Sent it back and they removed from bill. Risotto with truffle oil had NO flavor of truffles. Cheese plate with one breadstick?? really? no crackers? Bread not even good. Waited 45 min for salad course at 9pm. I don't usually write reviews except this was so disappointing I thought you should know.Special Features:
- Good addition to neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2014Good, if not exceptional food. Erratic service. Excellent wine. Unbelievably quiet for a full restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal at BaroloyummmmDined on 3/18/2014I just visited Barolo for the second time -- the first with a group of 8 adults on a Saturday night and the second with my family. both times were great. The menu is extensive and had so many appealing dishes. The food was beautifully prepared and the wait staff was terrific. This is definitely a keeper. Great bar too. Actually two bars and the one on the left is set up for eating. It's beautifully done too with windowed kitchen, great decor -- definitely feels NY instead of sleepy CT.Special Features:
- Perfect Sunday evening!ncrnVIPDined on 3/16/2014While we have dined here before and thoroughly enjoyed the main dining area, on this Sunday we decided to try the wine bar for a taste of the eponymous pour and some interesting appetizers. We were not disappointed. The barolos by the glass were delightful with a mix of apps including the pizza with prosciutto and arugula, fried baby artichokes (crunch!!), and manzanilla (eggplant). Having arrived early we were able to sit at the corner of the bar and have a wonderful conversation and enjoy the polished but welcoming ambiance. Service was friendly and attentive by the bartender Carlos. We'll be back!! What a gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceKLEE437VIPDined on 3/15/2014We had dinner for 6 and had a fantastic evening. Our waiter, Daniel, was attentive and helpful with suggesting appetizers. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatGoodfoodCTDined on 3/14/2014We hope this was just opening or growing pains, but average at best. A lot of money had been spent on the buildout, but it seemed hollow - no real feeling or warm ambiance. Food was very average - bread was tasteless, risotto was Arborio grains but cooked much more like rice, and my husband's pasta (with lobster) was incredibly salty and too big of a portion for refined cuisine. Might be fine for CT suburbs but we would struggle to return.
- Best thing was the wineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2014I must say that we were surprisingly disappointed. The Barbaresco wine was excellent. However, service was VERY slow, our waitress hard to find. The house spaghetti seemed fairly ordinary, despite the table side presentation. The tricolor salad was sadly wilted. It had to have been sitting out for an hour, at a minimum. I realize that there are always start up issues for a new restaurant, but this experience will keep me from rushing back any time soon.Special Features:
- BarolosuecDined on 3/10/2014This restaurant has beautiful lighting, great food, unpretentious decor and it's not crazy loud. It's what you want when you go out to a restaurant for a meeting with a friend, or a good conversation. The fact that one of the owners is right there is impressive. Plus, he is pouring water and sometimes taking away plates, aside from saying hello. There's a great, calm energy here. Excellence. It's been open a few weeks and I've eaten there twice-- would recommend highly.Special Features:
- New place in town a flopLinnbutDined on 3/9/2014We were excited to try a new restaurant in town , the service was bad, the food was awfull. Not just mine but all give of us were disappointed. We will never go back.
- Off to a good starttymelyronVIPDined on 3/8/2014Enjoyed our Saturday night dinner; the former Tuscan Osteria has been re-fashioned into a large bar area in the front and a refined dining room in the back, divided in 2 sections. The kobe meatballs and wild boar sausage for appetizers were tasty, as was the paccheri with short rib ragu. The spaghetti alla sciue apparently is the hit of the menu, spaghetti with truffles and tomatoes prepared in a parmesan wheel; other tables had it and loved it, we'll get that next time. The dining room was filling up late, yet it was not loud, a welcome relief to the usual din at most area restaurants. Prices seemed reasonable, service was fine, all in all a welcome addition to New Canaan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opening painsFoodieVIPDined on 3/8/2014Homemade pasta dry and tasteless. Needed to add olive oil to pasta with seafood. Tasted like it was sautéed in butter then thrown in unfreah pasta they claim all ingredients are imported from Italy. Doubt that since Kobe beef meatballs not a product of Italy. Doubt it!! The spaghetti tossed in parmigiana reggiano wheel table side barely had any glove of cheese as it needed hot pasta water to stir the effect of tossing. Easy to fool non foodies or non Italians. Wine way overpriced. Not returning. Waited and needed to ask for homemade bread came with first course. Maybe in time quality will improve? For now. Off my listSpecial Features:
- very goodeggsDined on 3/8/2014The restaurant is only weeks open and only serving lunch for 1 week. We only ordered "design your own" salad. Very nice idea, fresh looking and tasting. A little skimpy for a lunch salad. Expected more on plate. Each extra you order is between $1 and $2. Be careful since this can add up and still not be a huge salad. Had a lovely Cappucino for dessert. Very nice staff. Clean and comforting ambiance. Not very many people in there for lunch on a Saturday but still new to town. Pay for parking in lot across the street or on street in front. Beware the parking police though. I do not live nearby this restaurant but would try it for dinner if I was. I have reccommended it to others that live closer. Wish it luck.
- Beautiful place, delicious foodncrnVIPDined on 3/7/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Barolo. The attentive service, delightful ambiance, and delicious food all made on the premises were a perfect combination. The restaurant has several areas each of which has its own attraction. There is a wine bar area and a shop area in the front, and a dedicated dining room in the rear, similar to the site's previous incarnation but much more polished and inviting. We sat in the dining room and enjoyed our food very much - our choices included meatballs, salad and octopus apps, filet mignon and the fish main courses and the ricotta cheesecake dessert. Featured wine choices (we had the pinot noir and the merlot) were excellent. We will definitely be returning for dinner or for a drink at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so GoodVirgilDined on 3/6/2014Went in with high expectations. The decor of the Restaurant is great, too bad that was the highlight of our dining experience. Apps were pretty good, however all our entrees were awful, some undercooked other overcooked. Overall not so great. Big question is whether they will get any better. Stil early, week 3 since they opened. Maybe I'll give it another chance.Special Features:
- Great 1st experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/4/2014We had dinner on a Tuesday night, I had the wild salmon and my date had steak. My salmon was cooked perfectly (M) and so was the steak to his liking :) I ordered the Limoncello Martini and it was really strong so I sent it back and exchanged it for a different drink... it had queen in the title. For desert we had the tiramisu and cappuccinos, not the best I've ever had but was pretty good. My date didn't let me see the bill but the prices were normal New Canaan prices. The service was great, we had a young female waitress and she let us have our space without us feeling abandoned! We will definitely be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuscan experienceAandBdiningVIPDined on 3/1/2014I had the burratta appetizer and my husband had a Caesar salad...both were very tasty. We had freshly made pasta as main course. Very delicious!! Service was very attentive. Can't wait to go back and try more of their dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent new Italian spot in NCScottDined on 3/1/2014Restaurant is off to a good start. Choices, flavors, pairings were all excellent. Service was friendly and attentive yet we did not feel rushed. Good wine selection. Nice atmosphere and good acoustics. Definitely going back. The lunch menu looked good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific new gemSteveVIPDined on 3/1/2014We had a wonderful time. Great food and terrific martinis and wines. I recommend it.Special Features:
- Be prepared to wait...and waitNCDinerVIPDined on 2/28/2014Several friends had been to Barolo and warned us of the extraordinary wait times when it came to service. I couldn't tell if it was the kitchen holding up the servers or the servers holding up the deliveries. Either way we ended up having a three hour dinner. Luckily we really enjoyed who we were eating with the night we tried Barolo. There was a good hour in-between our first and second courses and there was no way we were going to even attempt ordering dessert for fear of waiting another hour for that course. The food was good. Nothing stood out as being amazing and the bar, while a great space, lacked one very important feature...a fantastic bartender. This restaurant could be great once they work out their kinks...here's to hoping.
- Great Restaurant!enjoyitDined on 2/27/2014It was such a pleasure to try out this wonderful, vibrant restaurant. My friend and I had sea bass which was well prepared and absolutely delicious. The waiters/waitresses could not have been nicer. Also, I liked the fact that I could make reservations online. I am sure that there willl be a lot of great reviews for this wonderful new restaurant in New Canaan.Special Features:
- Great addditon to NC diningNCAMCDined on 2/26/2014Barola has a warm atmosphere & ambiance. We enjoyed our dining experience. The spaghetti cooked in the hollowed out cheese was tasty and the Dorato with thin potato crust was very flavorful. The calamari with spicy peppers was delicious. The rughetta salad was a bit salty. The chocolate gelato was very flavorful. The owners were friendly and engaging. We look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Gem in New CanaanGoodeatsDined on 2/24/2014Brand new in New Canaan. Did a great job, still working on getting the flow going, but not bad for its first few days. Not a lot of kid choices, but chef had no problem making a plain Alfredo sauce for our daughter. Food was fabulous. Great menu. We were pleased to see some familiar faces at the helm! Loved the wine choices. Friendly and accommodating. High hopes for Barolo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in NewNCeatsDined on 2/22/2014Best meal I've had in New Canaan (or elsewhere) In years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.