Barolo - New Canaan
136 Main Street
New Canaan, CT 06840Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Barolo - New Canaan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barolonewcanaan.com/
- Phone: 2039201515
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30am-11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Barolo - New Canaan
Barolo Wine Bar & Trattoria is located on Main St. in New Canaan. We offer authentic Italian cuisine with a menu that celebrates the Piedmontese tradition. Our pizzas and pastas are made from scratch, in-house every day and our salumi, hand selected directly from Italy. Our dining room offers a full menu from 5pm and our bar area, open late, serves up thin crust pizzas, fresh shellfish, and other bar bites all night long. At Barolo Trattoria & Wine Bar, a glass half full just means it's time for one more. Come enjoy one with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barolo - New Canaan reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (32)notable wine list (26)special occasion (17)good for groups (17)romantic (15)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good but inconsistentUboatDined on 9/12/2014A little on the expensive side, but its New Canaan location probably allows that. Tables are nicely spaced so that you can actually have a real conversation during dinner or even during drinks at the bar. Very nice ambiance - very attentive staff once seated. Bartender and hostess were hard to find. Food was good but overpriced for what it was. Pasta served from the cheese wheel was an interesting presentation, but the taste lacked something. We ordered 2 desserts - unfortunately, the chocolate flourless cake was really dry - even our waiter admitted it after we left half of it on the plate. Service was excellent - attentive and not pushy. We will go back for another try - there is room for improvement but overall very nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good, but...BooWhoDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food, with good choices in seafood, pastas, salads. Very nice space, with tables set far enough apart to permit conversation at normal voice levels (a rarity in New Canaan). Although we sat in the main restaurant space, the bar area looked inviting and will be a good "drop in" standby. Now for the bad news: the service. Our waiter was not an effective communicator of the specials, and the staff did not keep water and bread filled throughout the meal. The waiter did stop by our table for literally five seconds, asked how we were doing, and then sped away before we could respond!! Again, the food and ambiance were excellent, and a more professional and attentive wait staff would elevate the overall experience.Special Features:
- A must try!foodie72Dined on 8/23/2014Thoughtful service which can seem slow but indicates that each dish is made to order and is worth the wait! Excellent pastas all made on the premises with orders for half portions available so one can try them all eventually which is my aim. The menu is just the right size containing standards as well as unusual offerings supplemented by creative specials. All together a very welcome addition not only to New Canaan but also to the Fairfield County restaurant scene.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014One of my student's gave me a gift certificate to Barolo. I had never been there before and was happy with my experience. Our waitress was friendly and sweet and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!CyndeDined on 8/16/2014Barolo was terrific. The food was great and our server, Steven, was outstanding! We cannot wait to return!Special Features:
- DeliciousFeedMeDined on 8/13/2014A friend and I had a delightful experience at Barolo in New Canaan. The food was delicious, the service was attentive but not invasive. The cost was on par with the food, location and overall experience. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected Pleasure!marciaVIPDined on 8/9/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and can't wait to return, again. New Canaan has some wonderful restaurants and this is one of the BEST! MarciaSpecial Features:
- Splendid!WiltonFanVIPDined on 8/2/2014Always looking for a new trendy place for great food and fun. Found it all here. The staff was very helpful without being over the top which added to the experience. Recommendations were very helpful and perfect! We'll be back (and soon)!Special Features:
- Great Service, Average food, PriceyFoodfocusDined on 8/1/2014We were so looking forward to having nice and quite dinner at Barolo. My brother recommended to me and I had high expectations. Our waitress Lindsey was terrific and I can't say enough about her great attention to detail and follow through. The food was very mixed. I had the Filet and it was cooked great and tasted terrific I would recommend that dish to any meat lovers. The seafood was less than acceptable and none of the other 3 people in my party enjoyed the food and they left their plates mostly uneaten. The bread pudding was good.
- GoodToughCookieDined on 7/31/2014Very nice food & service very good. If they have the Sea Food Rizzotto with saffron on the menu try it very nicely done.Special Features:
- AwfulGlobetrotterVIPDined on 7/31/2014Staff is undertrained. We were told at the door to pick a table by a waiter. Never told specials, ordered Kamut under "pastas made in house" only to be told by manager when I complained it tasted like boxed pasta, that my waiter was suppose to tell me that is the one pasta under "made in house" that is packaged! Ordered a side of grilled chicken breast to go with my pasta and that was so dried out I could not eat it and sent that back too! Totally overrated!
- Never disappointed!Luv2DineDined on 7/29/2014The good here is by far the best Italian food in the area. While I have been several times with friends, I finally brought my husband and smother couple. They all LOVED it and can't wait to go back! My only negative....we had a waitress who was not the most attentive. The rest of the wait staff made up for her lack of attention.Special Features:
- Nothing specialluv2dineDined on 7/26/2014There has been lots of hype so I was expecting big things at Barolo. The service was very good but the food was not. I had the Octopus to start. It was 3 small tentacles that were terrible dry and over cooked. The plate at Cava in New Canaan was 10 times better. For the main course I had tuna which was blah! My husband had the filet and he did not like it either. Very plain and not tasty. We left very disappointed.Special Features:
- First of many visitsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The name alone hints at fine Italian food & wine. The featured cabernet was excellent right from the aroma when Jorge opened the bottle. The service was impeccable, knowledgeable and helpful. The difficult part was to choose an item on the menu or try a special - hence, we have to come back and try something on the menu - the specials were great. The fried calamari appetizer was a keeper, but the pasta and lobster tail special was very tasty - the meat tender, not chewy and the pasta had flavor from the lobster and was not over cooked - a perfect al dente! An enjoyable night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening at Barolo's MANGIARE!LouBVIPDined on 7/18/2014We recently had dinner with some family and friends and found ourselves immerse in Barolo's Italian atmosphere. From the appetizers (very fresh clams and oysters...cheeses and cured meats) and great wine ...we were suddenly talking with our hands. Great dishes and must try are the Risotto, Filetto,Agnello (lamb Shank) and the Vitello along with some very good wine (follow their recommendation) made our day. Top it off with some gelato. Mangiare del buon cibo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was OK nothing specialjgp555Dined on 7/18/2014Food was OK not special. Service was awful. It was as if the waitress hadgone home. Had to ask another waiter to tell our waitress, we wanted serviceSpecial Features:
- great foodfoodlover50Dined on 7/18/2014Lovely restaurant, very attentive staff and the food was great - my husband loved the agnolotti and rest of us enjoyed the appetizers and entrees that were specials that night. Our occasion (anniversary) was acknowledged nicely by all staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MunchVIPDined on 7/16/2014This was my first visit and I was impressed with Barolo - it's an inviting space, the service was very good and the food was delicious! My friend and I lingered and caught up, not having seen each other in a while, and we never felt that our server was impatient with us to go, which we very much appreciated! I would certainly recommend (and already have done just that!) Barolo to others!Special Features:
- mellendkDined on 7/6/2014Barolo's was delicious. Expert, non-intrusive but well-timed service, quiet (we were eating very early).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MothermagDined on 7/1/2014Excellent addition to restaurant scene in the area.....have dined multiple times and not been disappointed. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely new spot on Main, New CanaanFoodloverDined on 6/28/2014This was our 3rd visit & we were not disappointed. Lovely contemporary & comfortable setting.We already knew that the calamari is terrific as is the eggplant parm, both appetizers. We would love to have the eggplant parm as an entrée choice. The lamb shank here is amazing & I highly recommend it!! OMG!! Large & cooked to perfection...so tender & delicious. Our new "go to" place for it!! In the past, I have had 2 different fish dishes..halibut [a special] & tuna..both great. Next time I want to try the ravioli. Nice martini list as well as lovely wines. The cappuccino is a bit too foamy in my opinion. Service was very nice & efficient the last 2 visits & we were welcomed back by our other server, manager, & owner. We did not feel rushed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth planning ahead!EvanLVIPDined on 6/20/2014We have been dying to go to Barolo, but never plan far enough ahead to get a table. Finally went and it was worth the wait. Spaghetti tossed in a wedge if cheese was tasty and fun. Kale salad was amazing. Entres were delicious as raw bar seafood lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar and serviceJohnnyDined on 6/19/2014Had a client dinner at Barolo on a Thurs night. The place has been remodeled and love the wine bar theme, particularly the 2 bars when you walk in. Really well done. Would have been happy to eat at the bar. Given 2 bars that mirror one another, no problem getting a seat altho I was surprised not more crowded. It will be in the future, I have no doubt. Food was variable. Didn't really like the seafood but the cheeses and artichoke were great apps. The pasta was solid too. We really appreciated the fine service. Place has great potential. Will be back...Special Features:
- MaychipDined on 6/16/2014Eric, the maître d’ is friendly and knowledgeable – go on a quiet night and pick his brain about the food or wine. The artichoke appetizer is different and maybe the best I’ve had anywhere. Our table shared a house made, meat ravioli that stood out, even after the artichoke. There is a nice choice of entries and the fish of the day was outstanding – light and flavorful without swimming in a sauce or butter as so many are today. The wine list had many names new to me - I asked for suggestions and tried a new one - glad I did, it was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- AlmostPickyDined on 6/16/2014I dined at the new Barolo on a Monday evening with two others. Overall, I found the service and dcor great. Food was fairly well prepared except my Tuna. athick tuna steak is tricky to prepare. I was asked how I liked it cooked and I said medium. The tuna was overcooked, sticky to the teeth and slightly chewy which indicates it being well done. Special occasion meal,otherwise I would have sent it back at $32. All else above average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation confirmed-Barolo closed1007OhNoDined on 6/15/2014First, please note, Barolo is a terrific restaurant! Recently, in a spur of the moment Father's Day-Brunch 'call', I went straight to Open Table and found a time and table that was perfect for my party of 3 [at Barolo]. Yes! With reservation confirmed by email (all standard protocol for Open Table, etc.), we headed out for the short walk to Downtown New Canaan and Barolo. Upon arrival, the restaurant was closed. What? @@Open Table, "how does this happen"?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good,Good FoodChesterVIPDined on 6/12/2014Finally an owner present to greet and oversee that this restaurant runs well. The food is delicious, waitstaff tries hard to please, noise level low enough to chat easily. Less pretentious than some other New Canaan dining choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyScooterDined on 6/7/2014High priced and only slightly above average food. I paid $20.00 for a glass of wine that was no better than Gallo's Hearty Burgundy and for that money I could have gotten a half gallon instead of one glass. Go to Chef Luis or Elm. They charge the same prices (or less) and the food is fantastic.
- Perfect little hideaway!montyDined on 6/4/2014Once again we enjoyed being able to have a quiet meeting where the food was good, the people were friendly and the service top level. Great neighborhood discovery. And you could hear yourself talk....that's a big plus. MontySpecial Features:
- ExcellentLYdzVIPDined on 5/31/2014Great vibe and a great dining experience. Highly recommend the pasta which is made fresh there.Special Features:
- ChrisMDined on 5/31/2014Food was outstanding, especially the Veal Milanese. Service was courteous, personable and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barolo!!SaraDined on 5/28/2014Excellent food, great wait staff, great decor, fun bar scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Barolo - New Canaan reviews archive.
- Love this restaurant!ncrnVIPDined on 5/18/2014We have made this restaurant a regular destination for the good food, great service and lovely atmosphere. Recently spent a wonderful belated Mother's Day evening enjoying a delicious meal and welcoming ambience. Steaks were perfectly done (love the barolo wine sauce), sausage ravioli was rich and flavorful. Unfortunately no room for dessert as the portions are quite generous. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time..not a charmAandBdiningVIPDined on 5/15/2014Barolo went from being our favorite restaurant to a terrible dining experience! We were a party of six celebrating a birthday. The waitress - assistant manager was lovely at first . appetizers were good but then we waited a about 20 minutes after that for our main course. That wouldn't have been so bad except the pasta was cold and the chicken was greasy! Would have complained to waitress-assistant manager but she was everywhere except at our table. We waited about 25 minutes from time our plates taken and finally asked someone to find her. She came over with a Very nasty attitude and argued that we weren't waiting that long.isn't the customer always right? Very unprofessional. I could go on, but enough to say we will not be back.
- Mother's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014There was a "special" menu with limited choices, i.e., only 3 dessert choices. The service was terribly slow, waiter didn't know who got what meal, and didn't ask if we wanted more coffee. The food was adequate. The crab salad was 90% mayo and the artichoke appetizer was 90% fried. The lamb chops were good, but they should be for $38.
- Waitress forgot our main coursefoodie101Dined on 5/10/2014After we had our appetizer, our waitress proceeded to clean our table and asked if we wanted coffee and dessert. I told her that we didn't yet have our main course. That was when she realized that she forgot to put in our main course order to their kitchen. As a result, we waited a long time for our food. When it finally came, my husbands pasta was the wrong one. I don't think this restaurant knows what they are doing. Would not go back.
- FIRST EXPERIENCE VERY GOODdaisymaeDined on 5/9/2014fIRST TIME DINNER WAS WONDERFUL FRIDAY EVENING, SERVICE A LITTLE SLOW, HOUSE WINES VERY NICE, FOOD GREAT, WILL RETURN!Special Features:
- relaxed eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/6/2014Lunch was simple pizza and salads, but exquisite and beautifully presented. Attentive service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2014Barolo is a welcomed addition to the restaurant scene. The decor is magnificent and they have gone to great lengths to ensure quiet dining. The food and service were excellent. We will return soon.Special Features:
- Horrific operationallyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We had reservations at 8:45 and were finally seated at 9:37 in the front of the restaurant at a table not for dining! One small, "sorry the people at your table are still there" and we heard nothing. No follow-up, no sorry, no would you like a glass of wine! The service started off well, it's not the wait person's fault so we settled in and well, that too was disappointing. We felt rushed. She forgot to serve the last third of the wine in our bottle. Again no recognition of our wait. It would have taken so little to have made us feel better. Too bad, the food was good. (I can't comment on the ambience as we never saw anything but the hostess station and the front table.) I have no idea what the rest of the place looked like!