103 Waverly Place
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.northsquareny.com/
- Phone: 2122541200
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast, Everyday: 7:30am-11:00am Brunch, Saturday: 12:00pm-3:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm-4:00pm Lunch, Monday-Friday: 12:00pm-3:30pm Dinner, Monday-Saturday: 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-10:00pm Lounge, Monday-Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Yoel Cruz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Jazz Brunch on Sundays
A word from North Square
An intimate American Restaurant with plush, cozy banquettes and picture perfect views of Washington Square with a separate, hide-away speakeasy cocktail lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
North Square reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)great for lunch (31)fit for foodies (30)great for brunch (29)special occasion (15)good for groups (12)romantic (11)notable wine list (8)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- We had a delicious meal duringsuzdmcDined on 2/19/2014We had a delicious meal during Restaurant week-food was great and ambiance was perfect-quiet enough to have a conversation..Our server , Gabriel was very attentive and personable-he knew a lot of the history of the restaurant which he shared with us..We are anxious to return to North SquareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very relaxing place. TheDonneVIPDined on 2/19/2014A very relaxing place. The Salmon is always GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemFoodieDined on 2/16/2014Being a picky diner, I was very surprised to enjoy brunch at North Square at much as I did. The ambience is very pleasant and the food was tasty and reasonably priced too, especially since we chose the fixed price selections. We were allowed to sit and talk without being rushed out. I'll definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in the VillageAllyZVIPDined on 2/15/2014This cute restaurant, right off Washington Square Park, is a great find. Easy access from the West 4th street subway station. The menu is interesting vans our main courses of duck breast and scallops were top notch. The pecan tart was actually full of pecans! My husband and I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local placeLocalLadyVIPDined on 2/15/2014Nice wait staff, delicious food and not pretentious - a cozy find in the Village, especially in winterSpecial Features:
- great timeprincesspheDined on 2/14/2014I had a great time. The food was done delicious and the service was great. The decor was not as fancy but the whole experience was lovely and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Good Value Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Went here for valentines dinner. The lobster/crab cake with seaweed salad was great, the Quail appetizer was great, and both entrees (filet and lamb) were great, all at a reasonable price. The atmosphere was quiet -- a plus in my book, but it may be a little too quiet for some -- it's generally an older crowd, and I wouldn't call it a hip spot. The only real negative was the slow service. Everyone was pleasant, they were just a little slow and perhaps overwhelmed.Special Features:
- Nice Washington Sq restaurantBillDined on 2/13/2014I eat here at least one night while staying at the adjoining Washington Square Hotel. The food is always good and priced reasonably. There are always locals who dine a the hotel frequently, many on a first name basis with the hotel staff. This is definitely a good option for anyone looking for a restaurant near Washington Square.Special Features:
- New American Cuisine at its Finest!NadineNYCDined on 2/11/2014Whenever a friend visits New York City asking for a restaurant that provides really great seasonal food I think of North Square. The wait staff is attentive without being overwhelming. The menu is always interesting and tasty. This NYC gem is a perfect example of how New American Cuisine is influenced by the multitude of immigrants that have graced our shores. I can't wait for my next meal there.Special Features:
- neighborhood gemsuzewDined on 2/10/2014This restaurant has always been a favorite of ours. Always on our list for eating out in NYC. Great food, great atmosphere, no pretentions. Staff is wonderful. Love the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel restaurantLizlonDined on 2/7/2014My fault for not checking but I did not realise this was a hotel restaurant with related decor and atmosphere. Service was very good, food was well executed. Not much of an atmosphere on a Friday night though and my husband and I - in our mid 30s - brought the average age down by quite some margin.
- Need a llft?FrankDined on 2/4/2014North Square is understated. From the moment of arrival, it's releaxing. No attitude. Great for friends from out of town or friends for catching up. The kitchen does not disappoint. it appears to be casual, but the unobtrusive staff subtly makes it that way,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was a great experience.CaroleDined on 2/2/2014Brunch was a great experience. The food was very good and the jazz was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014Both the filet and the halibut were delicious, but I have to admit that my favorite part was the basket of an assortment of freshly-baked breads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemLocalDinerVIPDined on 1/27/2014Well-executed classical food served in a quiet and agreeable setting. Wine list is well-chosen and extremely well priced. Here you can afford to drink a decent wine with a meal that merits it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent fine diningChantboyVIPDined on 1/27/2014There are more famous restaurants in this neighborhood, but this is my favorite spot for quick dinner that's always excellent. A pretty, cozy spot with plenty of menu choices that are always beautifully prepared and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind and attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/26/2014Kind and attentive service plus good food and a relaxed atmosphere make this a great choice for a quiet dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at North SquareSAMMYDined on 1/24/2014Everything was excellent for this neighborhood restaurant. Food was very well prepared, staff friendly, and new renovation is very pretty, cozy, and modern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotFoodie1201Dined on 1/20/2014Love this restaurant in the village. Tends to be elderly customers mostly, but great for college kids or a twenties date nonetheless. Great wine selection and their scallops are delicious. Great desserts too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemLeeBee386Dined on 1/18/2014North Square is a great little place for lunch or dinner. The food is excellent and we've been here several times. My only only complaint was the server was not great..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD AND JAZZ!1KTravelerVIPDined on 1/12/2014I came to North Square to hear the always excellent Roz Corral Trio. The music never disappoints and I love the delicious brunch menu with something for every taste. Coffee and Mimosas are top flight. Overall, you can't beat North Square for the jazz brunch experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/10/2014Was fine but not as good as it has been in the past.Special Features:
- My husband and I had a pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/10/2014My husband and I had a pleasant dinner. Tuna tartar and kale salad for appetizer and rack of lamb and Atlantic char for entree. My husband s very picky and strict about meat preparation and he was not disappointed. As for me, fish was full of flavors and just exactly how asked it to be cooked. And pistachio creme brulee was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve DelightvetlipsVIPDined on 12/31/2013North Square is a quality restaurant for any evening and they did not take advantage of the Holiday. The food was excellent and so were the wines. This is a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderful!Lorenzo8945VIPDined on 12/30/2013No matter whether you go for lunch, brunch or dinnet, the food , wine and service are always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placePleasedDined on 12/29/2013First time I have brunch here - was Sunday, and found that was the only menu available at the time. Very nice surprise. Food was impecable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!billybooksVIPDined on 12/24/2013I've eaten here several times and have always had a great dinner and dessert. Specialty cocktails are reasonably priced and delicious. Recommend crab and lobster cakes, seared scallops, and chocolate mousse cake. Pleasant wait staff and bartender; overall very nice and excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Every thing was wonderful..OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/22/2013Every thing was wonderful.. The scallops on the brunch menu were devine. The apple cranberry crisp with vanilla ice cream was just right after the brunch meal. I loved it and can't stop raving about it.Special Features:
- Washington Square FindFoodloverDined on 12/21/2013The dining experience was pleasant. The food was good, the cocktail menu had original-type selections, and the service was friendly.Special Features:
- Been to North Square many,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/19/2013Been to North Square many, many times and it's always a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem for quiet lunchThelmaDined on 12/18/2013North Square is a neighborhood gem that is a great place for lunch with a small group. Halibut was perfectly seasoned and cooked. Chocolate mousse delicious. The small restaurant was quiet and lovely. Cool Klimt reproductions done with hand-painted subway tiles added to the relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/16/2013was one of eight women to celebrate a birthday. Service was very, very, very slow. Had to ask for table to be cleared. Ordered ice coffee didnt arrive but was on check. Ordered an extra bread pudding which didnt come (one ordered wasnt good) so no great loss there. Usually service is much better. Maybe should go with a lot of peopleSpecial Features:
- Came here with 2 friends forOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/15/2013Came here with 2 friends for brunch. THe service was excellent and they accommodated for some special dietary restrictions with ease. The brunch tasting was awesome and gave a variety of foods. The chicken apple sausage is excellent to be sure to order that. The ambiance is rather plain, but fine. I was happy that is was a quiet and comfortable atmosphere despite being full so that I could still here my friends talk. With great food and service, I would definitely come back!Special Features:
- Great food awful serviceucfaliasVIPDined on 12/14/2013Food was fantastic but the service was awful. Always had to ask for everything. No one ever came by to check on usSpecial Features:
- Hidden Treasure, great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013This restaurant may seem a little bit odd when you enter it. The furnishing looks out-dated and the regular clientele are ratter old. I heard most of the clients come here every week for over 25-years. (that's an achievement) In contrary, the chef in the kitchen does a wonderful job with his beautiful & flashy dishes! With the food as tasteful as on the website pictures. The staff is so friendly and very helpful. Prices are a little bit on the high. Perfect to have a dinner, if you don't mind that surroundings are different than you would expect from this place with the wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!FoodMavenVIPDined on 12/13/2013North Square has been one of our go-to restaurants for years. It has consistently great food, the prices are moderate, and the service is excellent. The wine list is interesting and well-priced. It's also a place where you don't have to stain to hear your dinner companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- But please don't tell anyone!TS114Dined on 12/13/2013If you have never heard of North Square but you just discovered how wonderful it is, don't tell anyone. If you do, it will be packed and we will never be able to get in again. Delicious food, great wine list and an attentive, thoughtful staff make this an absolute perfect place for a quiet dinner with someone special...but please don't tell anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Place to TalkNYCdiningVIPDined on 12/9/2013Enjoyed a relaxing and unhurried dinner with a friend. We were able to talk without straining ears or voice...very civilized...and the food was terrific! We had excellent salads and I had the salmon which was fresh and perfectly cooked as requested. Side dishes of spinach and garlic and herbed queonia were very good...as was the bread. We enjoyed everything and will recommend it to my older friends who want a lovely low key place to dine.Special Features:
- Nice lunch jointResrvoirDined on 12/9/2013North Square is a good lunch place. The food is good, pretty light and nicely varied. Best not to be from NYU or you may run into everyone you know. Service is efficient and unobtrusive. Noise level, at least in front, is low. If you get there early they have a few booths in back and I think one can reserve one when making a reservation, although you may need three people.Special Features:
- always a treat...SeniorVillagerDined on 12/6/2013Superb food and service are still the norm at this neighbouhood gem. Knowledgeable staff - particularly Jovani - who describe dishes to a tee and a wine to accompany. Never disappointed at North Square, always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.