500 Post St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.levelthreesf.com/
- Phone: 4159292087
- Hours of Operation:
Start your day off right with a full Breakfast including the JW Buffet with a variety of healthy items and omelets made to order: 6:30am-11:00am; An all day menu is served for Lunch and Dinner and late night: 11:00am-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Ben Mattman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: See www.jwmarriottunionsquare.com
- Private Party Facilities: Our Gallery Space provides a unique party experience with social food menus and casual seating arrangements for 10-50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Lipp 4159292087
- Entertainment: Enjoy cozy, casual dining with eclectic house sound and the art of mixology with our signature hand crafted cocktails.
A word from Level III
Our Look-Vibrant, Energetic, Sophisticated. Our Feel-Social, Communal, Relaxed. Our Food-Flavorful, Shareable, Memorable. Experience social food and modern cocktails at a new level - Level Three. An exciting and stylish new concept in social food and cocktails in the newly transformed JW Marriott San Francisco. Perfectly located in the heart of Union Square, this chic restaurant and lounge features a menu of delicious sharable plates crafted from the freshest, local, seasonal ingredients complemented with an extraordinary cocktail menu custom-created by acclaimed local mixologist H. Ehrmann. Situated on the third floor lobby level of the hotel highlighted by a 16 story atrium, you can dine on dramatic menu items like Seared Jumbo Scallops with Forest Mushrooms, Lobster Meat and Hobb’s Bacon; Fish Tacos with Lime Mango Salsa and Avocado Crush; Slow Braised Ale Short Ribs; and Grilled Angus Sliders.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Level III reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance2.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (3)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (1)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Food was over priced and notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2011Food was over priced and not anything exceptional.
- excellent food, no long linesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/6/2011excellent food, no long lines or advance reservations needed, got right in, close to Union Square, not crowded and again, excellent food & service. all this in a hotel restaurant, but you don't feel like you are in a hotel. the ambiance is modern and cool.Special Features:
- Food was excellent and a goodAgentDined on 7/24/2011Food was excellent and a good value as we both selected the Prix-Fixe Menu for $39. We had wonderful thai lobster bisque soup, a pepper crusted filet mignon and grilled nectarines with raspberry sorbet for desert. Level III is part of JW Marriot Hotels. It was very quite on a Sunday evening, as I believe a lot of hotel guest in the Financial District had checked out. Service was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- ...dated hotel restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/1/2011...dated hotel restaurant with so so, pricey food.
- We were a party of four anddsfnsfVIPDined on 6/11/2011We were a party of four and came early for a pre-theater dinner. We were the first to arrive at the restaurant and we were seated and served promptly. Our waiter was efficient and helpful. One of us ordered the price fixed 3-course dinner; others ordered off the a la carte menue. Overall, the food varied between just 'OK' to very mediocre. Nothing was especially good, nothing stood out as a unique dish, and one of the choices (NY Steak) was overcooked, tough and not tasty at all. I would not recommend this restaurant and see no reason to return. Apparently, others agree. We departed at peak dinner hour on a Saturday night and the restaurant was half empty.
- Three of us had either thenikmDined on 6/10/2011Three of us had either the Dine Around Special at $34.95 or the another fixed priced meal with a wine pairing.( $39.99 plus $15.00)all were great values. We had the NY steak, halibut and pasta which were all great choices. The food is always excellent and the service and quiet atmosphere are wonderful. The restaurant continues to be an undiscovered gem.Special Features:
- very pleasant experience.GraffitigrlVIPDined on 6/10/2011very pleasant experience. Our table afforded us intimate conversation.Special Features:
- Pleasantly suprised by theFoodieDined on 6/9/2011Pleasantly suprised by the quality of food and service I received on my recent dine. I indulged in the prix fixe menu and the scallops and filet per cooked to perfection. Leaving me wanting to return in the future for another taste.Special Features:
- We selected Level III becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2011We selected Level III because the place sounded interesting; reviews were decent; and photos were great on Yelp. However, we did not realize it was a restaurant in Marriott hotel and Marriott simply does not serve great food. We went there with a low expectation and the result wad just that.
- Our server was very nice andOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/21/2011Our server was very nice and helpful. Food was very good. They also had an interesting cocktail menu.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the mix of fullOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2011We enjoyed the mix of full dinner entrees and lighter fare. Service was excellent, as were the by-the-glass wine selections. We really liked the booths as well.
- Level III DinnerBertieDined on 5/9/2011Level III was fabulous. There were four in our group and we all went with the Prix Fixe menu. The scallops were by far the best "preview" choice. However those who had the tuna tataki and salad were happy with their selections. But we were all in agreement on the scallops being #1. For dinner, 2 of us had the filet mingnon and the other 2 had the halibut. The halibut was the special for the evening. We were all very satisfied with our meals and the service. We shared the chocolate & strawberries and cheese platter for dessert. I highly recommend this restaurant. It is in a easy to get to location in S.F. inside a beautiful Marriott property.Special Features:
- Best steak ever !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/9/2011We visited on a Saturday night and was surprised by how quite the restaurant was. We chose the Fix Prixe menu with the wine pairing and was very impressed. All of the dishes were fantastic with my husband actually saying that this was one of the best steaks he had eaten. Staff were attentive without being overbearing. Overall we felt that the quality of food for the price was outstanding value.Special Features:
- It is called a breakfast buffet,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/9/2011It is called a breakfast buffet, but it is perfect for brunch and a family meeting. Quiet tables apart from the main dining room,excellent service for all requests, and 2 hours free valet parking to top it off.Special Features:
- The food was good. The serverOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/19/2011The food was good. The server was proficient but not what I expect from a downtown SF eatery. The evening Prix Fixe was a good value.
- I would not recommend thisOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/22/2011I would not recommend this restaurant. It was quiet and the ambiance was pleasant and inviting, but the food left a lot to be desired. The macaroni and cheese was good, and the only thing I would order again. We also ordered the sliders, but the beef was over cooked, the pulled pork had no flavor and the crab cakes just tasted like mayonnaise. The final dish we ordered was the chicken sticks. They did not taste like normal satay, because instead of being marinated the meet was battered and fried. It made it taste greasy and was nothing like the satay I usually have and love. The staff was friendly, but the food definitely not worth the high cost.
- The restaurant was very quietOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/18/2011The restaurant was very quiet and not very popular. The food was excellent however and I was pleased with the server but not the bartender.
- We enjoyed wonderful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/17/2011We enjoyed wonderful service from "Zach," who is a very attentive waiter, but the food just didn't live up to the reviews I had read. My NY steak was well done (though ordered medium rare) and none of the other dishes we tried were particularly special.
- I had the pre-fix for $39.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/15/2011I had the pre-fix for $39. Scallop appetizer was delicious and the peppercorn crusted filet was wonderful. I find most Union Square restaurants to be way over priced and not very good--this place is an excellent find.Special Features:
- Went for Valentine's Day -OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/14/2011Went for Valentine's Day - Fixed Price menu. It was pretty typical hotel quality - but excellent service. Food was not served hot.
- Their prix fixe menu was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/12/2011Their prix fixe menu was great and the price was reasonable. I had the pan seared day boat scallops and my wife had ahi tuna tataki for the first course coupled with red and white wine. The scallops were cooked to my taste. It was delicate and matched with delicious sauce. My wife enjoyed the ahi as well. On the second course, I had ale braised boneless beef shortrib and the meat melts in my mouth, soft and tender. I also love the sauce that comes with it. My wife had the seared king salmon and her comment was, salmon was cooked just what she expected. She rated her salmon as average. The highlight of these dinner was the server name Michael. He made us felt really important. His service was impeccable. I would recommend him.Special Features:
- Fabulous food! Their 3-courseGlassGirlDined on 2/9/2011Fabulous food! Their 3-course prix fix combo is a good value. They do hit you hard $$$ for drinks.Special Features:
- the scallops were so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/3/2011the scallops were so good the first time, i had to go back to make sure it wasn't a fluke. sure enough, the hit the spot once again.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful dinnerSPECIALEVENINGDined on 1/30/2011We had a wonderful dinner and birthday celebration for our son. Our waiter-Dean was EXCELLANT and very knowledgeable about the menu and wines. The chefs prepared a special birthday dessert for our son. Will definitely recommend!!Special Features:
- Service was extremely slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2011Service was extremely slow. Even though there were only two tables, it took twenty minutes for our iced tea to arrive. There was only one waiter and he was absent for most of the meal. When we asked why the tea was taking so long he claimed they were still brewing it, even though the restaurant had already been open for a few hours. The portions were generous and tasted fine but the slow service was a disappointment.
- I loved this place, even moreellejayDined on 1/25/2011I loved this place, even more than I thought I would. i was a bit nerous because it's a hotel bar and restaurant, but I LOVED it. The cocktail at the bar when we arrived early for our reservation was fun. Not too crowded, nice folks around and the bartender was as friendly as could be. Our little secluded alcove booth was romantic and cozy. Our server was enthusiastic without being annoying and really made my night by his friendliness and attentiveness. The food was scrumptius, especially the crab bisque and the filet mignon. The sides were ok, but the main courses were to die for. And our server gave us complimentary glasses of port with dessert. I would go here again in a heartbeat and I would recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- Great restaurant pre-theater.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/25/2011Great restaurant pre-theater. Service was very friendly and efficient
- We both had the fillet whichOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/24/2011We both had the fillet which was one of the best we've ever had. They were perfectly prepared, large portion, delicious and very tender. We use Passport Dining cards and the staff was accomodating with our choices. Were on vacation but would return. Appetizer, salad and desert was also delicious. The taste special they have for$38-39 is an outstanding value.Special Features:
- We had a group of four forOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/23/2011We had a group of four for a late lunch and loved everything on the Dine About Town menu! Food was delicious, the presentation divine,the ambiance was lovely and the service outstanding! Would certainly go again as it felt like a mini holiday. One of ladies in our group thought it was very cosmopolitan - like she was in NY. Thank you Level III.Special Features:
- I love going to Level IIIOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 1/22/2011I love going to Level III where I can actually hear my dinner conversation. The food is very good. Excellent prix fix selection. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Located in the JW MarriottOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/22/2011Located in the JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square, Level III is a hidden gem. Ben Mattman and his staff created a culinary feast that we both enjoyed. The service was exceptional and the restaurant build out is beautiful. The bar also offers great drink specialties. I will be back and expect this fine dining spot in Union Square to become popular.Special Features:
- Our waiter Michael was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 1/9/2011Our waiter Michael was wonderful. He was very friendly. The ambiance is contemporary and too noisy. The food is what you would excpect from a hotel restaurant. My husband did seem to enjoy his but overall the food was nothing to write home about.
- probably won't go back againOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/31/2010probably won't go back again as I wasnt that impressed with the food, but the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Setting off the lobby of theDanTDined on 12/28/2010Setting off the lobby of the JW Marriott is more befitting a coffee shop than a restaurant with the prices charged. Service was slow and spotty while the food itself was excellent. Had it not been for the very rainiy night, we would have left for another restaurant.
- We ate at Level III last weekNatiVIPDined on 12/28/2010We ate at Level III last week in December and we are still talking about the excellent dinning experience we had. I read reviews before I eat anywhere. I usually focus on food but it was apparent that Level III reviews mentioned Michael a lot, so I was pleased when I learned he was going to be our waiter. Well, I must say that food always tastes better when the person presenting it is the best at what they do! We did the Prix Fixe Menu, the fillet was outstanding and the raviolis were to die for. The deserts and dinks where exceptional! However, the service we received was beyond expectations, the best! Can’t wait to go back.
- Overpriced. Food was veryponymom69Dined on 12/25/2010Overpriced. Food was very good, not outstanding as we would have expected for the price. Fillet was not as tender as a fillet should be, although wouldn't say it was tough. The apple grunt dessert was poor quality. Cheese platter was great. Wait staff was excellentSpecial Features:
- Lovely, well presented food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2010Lovely, well presented food. The ambiance was rather sterile and as we visited for Christmas lunch we expected it to be busier and, well, jollier.
- While visiting San FranciscoSingleTravelerDined on 12/25/2010While visiting San Francisco for the holidays, I had Christmas dinner at Level III. The food was outstanding. Service was very good. I liked the layout of the restaurant. The booths give you privacy, and the restaurant is quiet...unlike so many restaurants these days.Special Features:
- I organized a group businessCASFDined on 12/16/2010I organized a group business dinner at Level III for colleagues who had never been to Level III. Everyone was very pleased with the setting, the service from Michael the Waiter, and the food. The atmosphere is great because you can have a formal sit-down dinner or you can sit on the couches /lounge area and order off the same menu. Half the group ordered small plates to share and the other half had the prix fixe meal, which was elegant, delicious and great price. The restaurant is elegant and was decorated for the Christmas Holiday. Great place for a conversational meal as the seating is spacious and noise level minimal. A definite place to try.Special Features:
- The food choices and qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/11/2010The food choices and quality were good. The restaurant was too brightly lit and the service was spotty. Not unusal for a hotel restaurant, but we thought we would give this one a try. We would not be inclined to go back.