2007 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marvindc.com/
- Phone: 2027977171x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am Brunch: Sunday 10:30-3:30 (bar open all day)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Angel Franco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: The lounge has nightly DJs spinning the best of rare groove, soul, classic hip hop and eclectic independent artists.
A word from Marvin
Located in the Shaw area of D.C., Marvin combines Belgian cuisine and American comfort food with soul-inspired dishes like shrimp and grits, and is named in homage to Marvin Gaye; a huge mural of Marvin is painted on a main dining room wall. The restaurant decor gives some of the feel of a traditional local place, with a cool vibe as you enter the upstairs lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Marvin reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)vibrant bar scene (38)fit for foodies (35)romantic (27)good for groups (24)late-night find (23)hot spot (23)great for brunch (21)special occasion (20)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Chicken and WafflesTraceyVIPDined on 3/16/2014Get them! Well seasoned and juicy, this is a perfect pick me up after a Saturday of partying. The only thing that would make it even better would be a side of cheese grits.Special Features:
- If it isn't broken...Foodie2014Dined on 3/15/2014Marvin's quality of service and food has gone downhill since it first opened it's doors. What was once one of my favorite go to restaurants in the city is slowly becoming a distant memory. My friends and I recently visited for dinner and had to wait more than 20 minutes to be seated with a reservation. Once seated, our waiter was less than attentive and our meal was nothing spectacular. The hanger steak was lacking in flavor and frites served at room temperature while the waffle portion of the chicken and waffles dish was inedible due to its firmness. We all agreed that we miss the Marvin we once knew. Interesting enough, the menu prices have stayed consistent while all other aspects of the establishment have dwindled and now fall short.
- DisappointmentcsindcVIPDined on 3/15/2014I've lived a block from Marvin since it opened and had only ever been there years ago for brunch. That I could get an 8:30pm reservation for four on a Saturday night with two days notice perhaps should have been a sign. Despite having a reservation, we weren't seated until around 9:20pm so that was a bumpy start to the night. The manager did buy us two rounds of drinks while we waited so that helped smooth things over a bit. The service was very good, but the food didn't match. Two of us got sea bass that was slightly over done and also was lacking in the seasoning department. Another guest got the pork chop and that too was a bit over done and dry. All is all, as the title says, a disappointment.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2014I always bring out of town guests to Marvin for dinner. The food is always great and the atmosphere shows the best of DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southern blissrutgDined on 3/15/2014The best fried chicken and waffles, I've had. Nice placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulluvgoodfoodDined on 3/10/2014This place is definitly a great spot for any occassion. Just overall Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at BestDCDinerVIPDined on 3/9/2014Marvin is a fun bar, but the food is mediocre. Given the plethora of delicious brunch options that have sprung up in DC recenetly, I was expecting a lot more from Marvin. The eggs were dry, the waffles were soggy, and the mimosas were watered down. I would not recommend Marvin for brunch,Special Features:
- Fun and delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/8/2014A return trip. Saturday night scene is HOPPIN!!! But that is to be expected as the restaurant deserves the crowd and attention. For example, the crispy roasted Brussels sprouts with a creamy cumin & citrus zest sauce or the dry-rubbed pork chop with white bean cassoulet. Just 2 of the outstanding dishes we shared. By the time we finished our 7:45 dinner, the line for the upstairs bar extended a good 50' down the sidewalk. Fun and delicious -- THAT'S a pretty good combination, ain't it?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like eating in a steel mill.thomnasVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food was great, the server and bartender were fantastic and knowledgeable, but the noise was almost unbearable. Our party of 5 had to shout from one end of the table to the other to be heard. Two of our party finally gave up and simply ate in silence as the cacophony around us grew. Even my college cafeteria wasn't this loud. How about a big sign at the entrance, asking "inside voice, please."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While I liked the fushionRobdawgDined on 3/7/2014While I liked the fushion of Belgian and Soul food (my two favorites!), I think the food could use a lot more attention for the price. While the Chicken and Waffle I had was really good and unique, my friend's short ribs were totally dry and uninteresting (and $$ to boot). The Mussles I tried were tasty but nothing that wow'd me (unlike Granville Moores). My friends enjoyed the shrimp & grits & the Brussels sprouts. I brought a group of 9 for my bday on a Friday night. We were seated immediately & server was attentive. I liked the ambiance but it was still a bit too dark & too loud. I was stuffed from the chicken and waffles and heavy Belgian beer to eat dessert, but I left quite happy.Special Features:
- Great shrimp-n-gritsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/2/2014Great shrimp-n-grits, pleasant waiter (who was also good looking), and nice atmosphere. Bloody Mary's were a little small, but minor detail. Nice brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall this is a great restaurantOAM2014VIPDined on 3/1/2014Overall this is a great restaurant and the food was really good. Our waiter was also very attentive but that said one huge disappointment is that even though I made reservations in advance, we had to wait one hour before we were seated. Highly annoying especially as I was bringing friends who are new to DC. After 30 minutes of sulking I guess the floor manager spotted us and bought us a round of drinks. Probably should have done that right off the bat but all in all appreciated the gesture. My experience has made me leery of booking there again during busy hours.Special Features:
- Obsessed!Nightlife2NatureVIPDined on 2/26/2014I love the duck breast and shrimp and grits! They are absolutely delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunch volumeJRWVA2013VIPDined on 2/23/2014My only complaint is that the music volume level was too loud for brunch. It made hearing our conversation challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best on 14thJaneDined on 2/21/2014We introduced a friend to one of our favorite places- Marvin and at the end of our evening she said it best, "we need to come back, this place is great". This continues to be one of our absolute favorite places, great cocktails, we love both the funky parisian like bar upstairs, as well as the wonderful outdoor deck bar, and then we move to the restaurant for a terrific dinner- the food, service, and wine are always perfect. This place is funky, hip, but also warm and inviting. We've been going here for years and have never had a complaint. DC is fortunate to have a packed and ever expanding food scene, but while we have a long list of must try, Marvin remains our go-to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This being my third time,BigplateVIPDined on 2/19/2014This being my third time, I always feel the overall experience is better than the food--which itself is not bad, just not noteworthy.
- Bad Service; Way Too Much SaltZubinDined on 2/17/2014I hope you will pass along my comments to the restaurant managers because I expected much more from my experience. Service was excruciatingly slow and uninspiring; no enthusiasm or pleasant demeanor. There were long periods of time when he didn't even show up at the table. The food was average to good. Several items were packed full of salt. Since they were completely different dishes my take was the salt was dumped on everything at the end to try to make them work? Very odd and unfortunate, given the restaurant is surrounded by quality restaurants. Hope it can get it together because the name was what attracted me in the first place.
- It did not live up to what I heard.CrushedItVIPDined on 2/16/2014I heard the food here is really good, but I wasn't super impressed. The food was just okay. The prices are a little high for what you get. Also, it was difficult getting our server's attention. We had to wait and get his attention every time we needed something. If I were to return, it would only be to have a drink on their rooftop bar. I would not revisit the restaurant.Special Features:
- niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed the food and the service was great. We will be back for the burger. It seems to be a must haveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!Sugrnice29Dined on 2/10/2014This visit was my third or fourth to Marvin, and I brought friends from out of town. I had the salmon which was good, but my favorite is the chicken and waffles. They combine the standard chicken & waffle with collards, and the combination with syrup is delicious! The draft beers are fairly limited in the dining room, but luckily one is Leffe Brune (dark) which is a favorite of mine. The coffee creme brulee was very tasty! The dining room at Marvin has a really nice feel - a very diverse group os people and laid back - it's cozy although fairly big. Theser guys also have an awesome rooftop with a few different seating areas and two bars - can't wait for Spring! I'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Timer, will be back!ShannonDined on 2/9/2014The food was amazing!!! My drink wasn't the best but I'm not a drinker and may have just ordered the wrong drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but hyperactiveVenicomivenciDined on 2/9/2014My dish - Norwegian Benedict -- was delicious and our waitress did a good job. The only problem was that we were seated at a table along a very high traffic walkway area -- probably due to the restaurant trying to fit in as many two tops as possible. Still, this meant people were bustling by the table constantly, which was a little uncomfortable. That was not helped by the fact that the person who refilled the water glasses was a bit overzealous, refilling my glass practically every two sips. And my pet peeve is when plates are cleared before everyone is finished, but this happens everywhere these days. All in all, it was good and I would return, though I will be sure to request to be seated away from the walkway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvin'sSandyDined on 2/9/2014Excellent brunch, friendly staff, yummy food....but lousy coffee. If they do not offer espresso drinks, please make the "regular" coffee tastier. It was really bad stuff. Overall, I would gladly return to Marvins....and choose tea!Special Features:
- Great food!jleoVIPDined on 2/9/2014Have been to Marvin several times. Love the Belgian inspired menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great! Our serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2014The food was great! Our service was great! We were considering this place for our wedding reception and our visit tipped the scales!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont got to MarvinsOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/26/2014My experience at Marvins was awful. There was four of us and we ate and we finished up about 1.5 hours after we got there. We were still drinking coffee and enjoying the Mimosas and at that time Rachel the hostess asked us if we could pay our check because they needed our table to make a table for 6. They didnt say anything to the people next to us who didnt even order food. They didn't ask them to leave. I have never been asked to leave before so we asked for the manager Andrew. Andrew would only come over until we had paid and we expressed how we were treated and he didnt have much to say but that he would talk to Rachel. Awful experience, the food was ok and now I know why people dont go there anymore.
- With all the new 14th streetOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/19/2014With all the new 14th street restaurants and bars, Marvin seems to fall under the radar. But the food, especially the fried chicken, remains as tasty as ever, and the place is neither fussy nor pretentious. I'll keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diverse crowd but too loud for datepointerbDined on 1/18/2014Marvin has a cool vibe, the drinks are good, our food was ok, the service was great, but it was VERY loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicer to look, not worth the pricehungryDined on 1/16/2014it's a common complaint, but Marvin had a great atmosphere, good but unexceptional food, and a very large bill at the end. not sorry we tried it, but i wouldn't go back for dinner.Special Features:
- Mussels were perfectNancy22204Dined on 1/14/2014We had the happy hour menu--which necessitated sitting at the bar--and chose two different types of mussels (the red curry and the potatoes & bacon (mayonnaise with curry, mayonnaise with horseradish, and catsup). The beer tap was out of service the night we were there, which was a bit of a disappointment. Still, as a pre-theater dinner, the happy hour menu was perfect. At normal prices the mussels would have been worth it. Half price, they were the deal of the decade! We later learned that there is also a three-course Prix Fixe dinner offered by the Marvin for theater goers that is more expensive than the happy hour menu, but is similarly an excellent deal and no doubt could have been enjoyed at one of the restaurant's tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the markOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/5/2014Have been here before and it's usually spot on - Biscuits and Gravy were just awful. Great server though! Very nice and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!CcrnDined on 1/3/2014Met some friends before 930 Club and a few more decided to show up, they were very accommodating. Great ambiance, service, food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inconsistentBLexDined on 12/29/2013We returned to Marvin after a couple of good dining experiences. The greatest drawback those times was the noise level, but the food was good. This time, we received two entrees of sea bass that were inedible. Even after extra cooking, it was burned on the outside and gelatinous within, the taste and texture of decomposed fish. The waitress seemed to think I could not appreciate gooey rather than flaky sea bass but kindly offered another menu item.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/17/2013I walked right by this place and decided to go back & give it a chance. The food was exceptional. I had one of the best tuna steak's I've ever hat. I was happy with everything that I ordered and would definitely go back. The only down side that I noticed was there was a large & loud group in the room that was celebrating a birthday. They made you turn a nice conversation into yelling across the table so that you could be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerCBirtsDined on 12/16/2013I had my birthday dinner here then went upstairs afterwards for dancing. The staff was more than accommodating and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressiveEIEIOVIPDined on 12/15/2013I booked this because I needed a last minute reservation for 6 people for brunch. The food was really unimpressive, and the service was below par. I had a smoked salmon eggs benedict that had barely any smoked salmon, a surprisingly small side serving of dry home fries, and one of my eggs was overcooked. Two of my friends got unlimited mimosas, and by the last drink they were pretty sure they were drinking plain orange juice (we compared the taste, and two glasses side by side and there was a noticeable difference). Service was also very slow - for the food to come out, and for her to refill drinks. I would not go here again for brunch.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Very nice ambience, excellent food, intresting music, nice people, very good service, very kind stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphere and great serviceRebeccaDined on 12/7/2013I had dinner there last Sat. night and it was great. The drinks we had were innovative and tasty. I had the chicken and waffles and my friend had the steak frites both dishes were terrific. We made reservations but our table wasn't ready and the staff were very kind and apologetic about the wait. I'd go back and take more friends there.Special Features:
- birthday dinnerChristineDined on 12/7/2013I went with a bunch of friends for my birthday. I have been to the rooftop for HH before but never inside for dinner. It was a great spot, good mussels.Special Features:
- You think you're in BelguimJayBird1824Dined on 12/3/2013almost...nice decor, food pretty but at 6:30 it was still a bit empty (but noisy). I had a yummy parsnip soup and a salad; my partner had mussels. Good not more. I was glad I went; I hope they do well. I love the variety we have in our dining scene. I might go back but there was nothing REALLY remarkable. BUt try for yourselfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.