6934 E. 1st Ave.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://cafemonarch.com/
- Phone: 4809707682x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Friday -Saturday : 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Branden Levine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
A word from Cafe Monarch
Surrounded by a candle lit courtyard and 2 gorgeous dining rooms, guests enjoy a 4 course pre fixe menu featuring fresh, organic, all-natural seasonal ingredients. Quaint, charm, romance and warmth surrounds this true foodie destination. Menu changes weekly. Upon reservation please specify if you have any food allergies and/or dietary restrictions. Cafe Monarch will accommodate any allergies or dietary restrictions to ensure every guest can enjoy every course. Reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Monarch - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
Cafe Monarch reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (101)romantic (97)fit for foodies (80)great for outdoor dining (79)neighborhood gem (53)notable wine list (27)hot spot (7)good for groups (7)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Goodeats5Dined on 7/11/2014Cute little restaurant in downtown Scottsdale with prix fixed dinner, reasonably priced. Definitely on my list for out of town guests, anniversaries...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing findLuvTapasDined on 7/4/2014The set menu is published weekly. Incredible creations with perfectly paired wine. Each course was amazing! We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/3/2014Great concept that is executed flawlessly. Atmosphere, food, and service are all spot on!Special Features:
- Excellent!!!Gritty51Dined on 6/28/2014Both the meal and the ambience were excellent! Also, this restaurant was a great value for the money. I'd highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great French spot in Old TownGoodFoodEatsDined on 6/28/2014My wife & I tried Cafe Monarch for the first time out on a date night this past weekend. We figured the place would be crazy starting at 6pm when we had our reservation considering they are only open 6-9pm five days per week. Thankfully, they were just starting to fill up at that time and they weren't full until closer to 7pm. All of the food was amazing and well thought out. The wine pairings were also great and the side of diver scallops were on point. My only complaint would be that the music might have been a little too loud (could have been sitting by speakers though). Outside of the music, truly a great dining experience. We did manage to spend $200 but it was worth every penny. Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- DaveSDined on 6/27/2014Very nice for a special event. Glad they leave the menu with you so you can figure out all the ingredients in each course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and RomanticNewToPHXDined on 6/25/2014I had heard about Cafe Monarch from a friend who had been there a couple of years ago. I took my wife for our anniversary and she loved the place. The candles were lit out on the patio where we ate and the fountains and lighting were majestic. The misters worked so well that we didn't even notice that we were eating outside (the day's high was over a hundred, but it didn't feel warmer than 80 in the courtyard). I was also surprised to see how much they served. Usually at executive chef restaurants, they serve tiny portions on each plate. This was not so. The salad was a great size (and had some amazing ingredients) and the steak was pretty large. It was the perfect amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!LisatnDined on 6/21/2014What a great find. Sat outside in the beautiful ivy covered, misted patio and had an amazing, delicious meal. We only had to make a decision on which of two entres we wanted. The rest was a set menu that changes every week. Everything we had was outstanding. Take a peek in to the kitchen at the end of your meal, to thank the chef, and see the limited equipement they use to produce the meals.....made us appreciate everything we ate even more. Our waiter (the owner) took great care of us. Wines were all from boutique wineries. Can not wait to go back.....this is my new Scottsdale favourite restaurant.Special Features:
- Quaint Amidst the Crowd.TwilightDinersDined on 6/21/2014Lovely small private patio, service was pleasant, food was good albeit the Filet was medium well, not the house suggested medium rare. Started with Conch Pommes Frites that was divine, wine pairing was well selected. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Gazebo is awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/20/2014We visited Scottsdale in late June 2014 and ate at a few good restaurants (Cafe Monarch, FnB, Elements). Cafe Monarch was terrific. The food was great and the outdoor gazebo sitting was very nice. The mist-ers are on all night cooling off the outside but also they do make for bad hair nights :)Special Features:
- Service and food were outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Each dish was a taste sensation. We tried both their entrees and shared. I couldn't decide which was better the meat or the fish.Special Features:
- Gourmet Magical EveningDevine4usDined on 6/18/2014Celebrating our Anniversary at Cafe Monarch was truly a magical experience! After a warm welcome, we made our way to the candle lit garden patio. Our server expertly explained the menu and asked our choice of entree and if we would like the wine paring. He slipped away and the first course arrived. A fabulous conch fritter stuffed squash blossom. It was superb! This was followed by a Summer Salad with an amazing basil-Dijon vinaigrette. My husband chose the cast iron roasted filet mignon and I chose the sautéed Baja Baquetta (a delicious white fish). We shared the entrees, fabulous!! Dessert was a sweet taste of four house made treats served with sparklers!! If you are in Scottsdale don't miss this treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best overall dining experienceLuv2dineDined on 6/11/2014Everything was perfect...ambiance, service, food and wine. We thoroughly enjoyed the 4 course meal with wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemCorenp914VIPDined on 6/11/2014We loved the Monarch. It is hard to impress us New Yorkers, but we adored the food, service and ambience at his restuarant. The menu was fresh and modern, the preperation and presentation was stunning. We sat outside by the fountain, it was very romantic. We had a memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winnertravelerVIPDined on 6/10/2014From the ambience to the service and especially the food- a superb dining experience. Still talking about the food a day later and planning to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely LOVED it!BelindaDined on 6/7/2014One of the prettiest places I've eaten in Scottsdale! Our first time. Cannot believe we had not been there before. The Hawaiian Opa was amazing! The atmosphere was quaint, cozy & romantic. Misters, twinkle lights, fountains & candles made the patio the perfect place to be. My husbands skirt steak was on the chewy/tough side. Our server was amazing - offered to bring a new serving and "make it right". Loved the place & look forward to returning! Thank you Cafe Monarch for a lovely birthday I will remember :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Meal for Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014I booked a reservation at Cafe Monarch for my friend's birthday dinner. We opted to add the wine pairing with the fixed menu - totally worth it. The food, the service and the patio seating made for an unforgettable meal. Next time we are in Phoenix, we will definitely go back!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014The food was good in general. fresh and fun tastes. The only disappointment was the flat iron steak. It was tough and way too chewy. We also let Cafe Monarch know it was our 28th anniversary and they did not have a good table for us. They wanted to stick us by the front door. We made reservations early so it could be special.Special Features:
- Beatiful restaurant in ScottsdaleAndreaDined on 6/6/2014The place is really romantic with a special atmosphere Food is very good and the service too RecommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014It's as if you were invited to a little dinner party at a cute little home. The only minus was the bar area is a bit noisy. All of the staff were friendly and engaging, even the bus staff.Special Features:
- 2nd visitQuidoDined on 5/30/2014This is our second visit to this special restaurant. The ambiance at night is special and the owner and staff are like family friends to their guests. The menu is limited but what you get is outstanding and worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Cafe Monarch!LuvfoodDined on 5/29/2014What a wonderful evening, with fantastic food, ambience and service! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe MonarchkentuckygirlDined on 5/24/2014This was my first experience dining at this restaurant and I was not disappointed. Everything is fresh, organic and very flavorful. I enjoyed the menu being preset, no decisions except fish or beef, wine or no wine. I like the price is set, all you need to do is relax and enjoy! The pacing of the 4 course meal was perfect . Give it a try!Special Features:
- Great meal in downtown ScottsdaleNYDinerVIPDined on 5/24/2014We were visiting from NYC and had a great meal at Cafe Monarch. Great food, service and atmosphere. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!JLovesFoodDined on 5/23/2014The restaurant is quaint and charming! The ambience is intimate and romantic. The service is attentive, but unobtrusive. The food is sublime. I have absolutely nothing but amazing things to say about our entire experience. Picky eaters beware, however. The menu is pre-set, with little in the way of alternatives or options. This was not an issue for us, however! We enjoyed every bite of our dinner just the way it was!Special Features:
- Wonderful findAlgerDined on 5/22/2014We had one of the best meals ever here. Every dish was outstanding! It is not cheap but if you want to splurge on a great dinner and dining experience we highly recommend Monarch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazing!bethdDined on 5/22/2014My husband and I were visiting from Boston and found Cafe Monarch on Trip Advisor. We decided to try it and are SO glad we did. The food was out of this world. Very different and perfectly tasty. Christian (owner) was such a great host, made us feel right at home. He introduced us to the Chef and sous chef, brought us right into the kitchen. Definitely a must do while in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 39 reviews are from the Cafe Monarch reviews archive.
- Such a find!MimiDined on 5/20/2014Wow on so many levels! Cafe Monarch came recommended to us by a a co-worker of my husband's here in Canada. Well what a great recommendation. That said, we weren't quite sure to be honest when we first pulled up. Seemed a little more casual than we were expecting. But as soon as we walked in it was very magical... a beautiful surprise!! And the food was equally as wonderful.I won't give it away ...just go and see for yourselves. You won't be disappointed. We will return when we are in Scottsdale next without a doubt! Would be a terrific venue for a garden party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a surprise!MattGVIPDined on 5/15/2014A must if you visit Scottsdale. It is located in a non-descript part of town and unless you know it is there you would not think twice about the building. The patio is the place to sit if you are lucky enough to get one of the tables. Dine mid-week for a better chance. The best part is the food matches the beauty of the restaurant. I cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- An Oasis in the Desert!Live2EatDined on 5/14/2014My girlfriend and I have been meaning to try out this place for about a year now. Her and her fiance are moving to Australia next week so I sent her a text telling her we have to have a going away dinner and we had to try this place out before she left! So we double dated and all 4 of us were blown away. We had a table in the courtyard which is just simply amazing. The word that kept coming to mind with the decor was "quaint" I don't know if that is the right word but I can't think of a better one! Loved it. You get a 4 course meal for $55 which for the quality and atmosphere is very reasonable. We all elected to add the $25 for the wine pairing (3 wines). All of it was just superb and service was spot on!Special Features:
- Very nice experienceAZCraigVIPDined on 5/14/2014Not your usual Scottsdale dining experience. More like what you'd find in Sonoma with quiet, green patio making it seem cooler than it really is. Menu was all good for us and serving sizes were just right. Only note was that the dessert, a key lime based collection of treats, really did not have much key lime taste. The hazelnut crust was awesome but the filling was just bland without the tart accents of key lime. The prix fixe menu changes weekly and I suggest you check the current menu on their website to be sure you will be happy with what is served. Overall, great place and we will return.Special Features:
- Great findLuv2eatDined on 5/13/2014Menu eclectic - stretched me beyond my norm and was superb. Great service - and eat outside if at all possible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatErikaeDined on 5/11/2014Great Mother's Day Brunch. I'm looking forward to checking it out for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful experienceQuidoDined on 5/11/2014The food was excellent and the ambiance everywhere. The owners are extremely nice and this family run restaurant is all about pleasing their customer. A fixed price and menu to die for. Not for children but great for special occasion and or romantic night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Our experience at Cafe Monarch was amazing. The only issue we had was the length of time we waited for our entree's, but the ambience of the patio was so womderful we were swept up in conversation to notice much. Our waiter noticed though and made sure our table received a free round of mimosas. Now that's service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite Phoenix restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014This is the first time I've ever posted a review online for a restaurant but this place was so awesome, it warrants it. Amazing patio with a great vibe...music was chill but creating a romantic atmosphere. Food was tremendous, as was the wine and the waiter was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Gem on 1st Ave2FoodiesDined on 5/8/2014Dining in the patio is one of the most enjoyable experiences anyone could wish for. The food is always delicious. Any time a great evening of good food and an extraordinary venue is required. I recommend Cafe Monarch!Special Features:
- Cafe Monarch fit for a king.Gus2ToriDined on 5/7/2014We dined, as a party of six, at Cafe Monarch to celebrate a special accomplishment. We sat on the lush garden patio, on a beautiful balmy evening. Everything about the evening was exceptional, from the delicious and careful conceived food to the attentive, but not intrusive service. The wine list, while limited, was solid and well chosen, and offered strong selections in a variety of price ranges. Truly an exceptional dining experience. I have already recommended Cage Monarch to several people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinnerjengledDined on 5/6/2014My wife, two sons and I agree that this was a superb experience all around. Loved the old house atmosphere. We ate inside by choice and loved being by the garden window. Two had one of the main courses and two had the other. Both were outstanding as was the rest of the meal. This is a definite go to for a special occasion.Special Features:
- fantastic! !!!!!!!!!!!!!love2bbackDined on 5/2/2014This was the best restaurant my wife and I have ever been to. Great service, atmosphere, and food.We will be back. We have 5 children and don't get to go somewhere like this alone often but I will definitely be making time to come back monthly..love it very much words cannot explainSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.