6934 E. 1st Ave.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://cafemonarch.com/
- Phone: 4809707682x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday
First Seating 5:30pm Last Seating 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Branden Levine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
A word from Cafe Monarch
Surrounded by a candle lit courtyard and 2 gorgeous dining rooms, guests enjoy a 4 course pre fixe menu featuring fresh, organic, all-natural seasonal ingredients. Quaint, charm, romance and warmth surrounds this true foodie destination. Menu changes weekly. Upon reservation please specify if you have any food allergies and/or dietary restrictions. Cafe Monarch will accommodate any allergies or dietary restrictions to ensure every guest can enjoy every course. Reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Monarch - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
Cafe Monarch reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (109)romantic (106)fit for foodies (92)great for outdoor dining (87)neighborhood gem (56)notable wine list (29)good for groups (9)hot spot (8)scenic view (8)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Very EnjoyablePHXlocalDined on 8/2/2014Everything from food to service was well above par. My only issue is that their wine list could use some fine tuning, would like to see a better selection on the higher end.Special Features:
- It lives up to the hype!KandKDined on 8/1/2014Took my wife to Cafe Monarch for her Birthday since i read all the great reviews. I'm generally not the type to write reviews, but this time i just had to. We had an amazing experience. We aren't foodies per se, and when i reviewed the menu online i wasnt sure about going but decided to give it a try. So glad we did. Probably one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. Terrific food and wine, great ambience, and outstanding service. Christian waited on our table and is also part owner. I was so impressed with this place and have been telling everyone about it. Cant wait to go back soon!! Great job Cafe Monarch!Special Features:
- Great restauranttelemund33Dined on 7/26/2014I chose the restaurant for my anniversary and my wife couldn't be happier. The food was delicious, the atmosphere very romantic, the service was excellent. I believe the prices is fair, the food is well elaborated. Definitely I am going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best food ever.BigpdDined on 7/26/2014Great place. You can tell the chef poors himself into the creation of each dish. my wife and I would highly recommend cafe monarch if you love food with tons of flavor. Also the cocktails were amazing everything was so fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014amazing food, best we've had in Phoenix. Will definitely return. Service could use some fine tuning, not on par with the quality of the food and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Fabulous 4 course prix fix menu with wine pairing. Beautiful food, great portion size and service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great visit to Cafe MonarchValleyFoodieDined on 7/25/2014I've had the pleasure of visiting Cafe Monarch on previous occasions. It has a great and relaxed atmosphere. Service is solid with a seasoned staff. On the occasions we've visited we typically see the same team, which tells me the Chef/owner values his team. The food is exceptional with many gourmet choices served in a prix-fixe style menu. The elegance of this process is the food is paired well with a succession of flavors making for an interesting evening. They also pair wine with the meal for a nominal $25. Which for a restaurant of this caliber is quite reasonable. Overall, if you're looking to have a relaxed "Napa-ish" style meal in the valley, Cafe Monarch should be on your list of places to try. I look forward to visiting again.Special Features:
- great patio & food, small portionscedepewDined on 7/19/2014Went on a Saturday to enjoy the 4 course menu that they offer on a weekly basis (4 courses $55 per person w/ a $25 add on per person to do the wine paring). The 1st and 2nd course were amazing; however the main meal was quite small and they overcooked my steak. While the flavors still blended nicely, it was a bit tough to chew and by the end of the meal I was still hungry and left with a $175+ bill. I love trying new places so at least there was the experience of trying something new and the patio was gorgeous and very romantic. However with a bill like that and for the many upscale restaurants I've eaten at in the past, I was displeased with the fact that I left still hungry.Special Features:
- Lovely and romanticPilofritosVIPDined on 7/19/2014This is my new favorite spot for a romantic dinner. We dined on the patio mid-Juy. Misters are a wonderful thing for Arizona. The candle lit patio was absolutely beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/15/2014I had a friend in town who was staying at the Valley Ho so I decided to take him to Cafe Monarch based on so many good reviews. So glad I did. It was pricey but I rarely get to enjoy a dinner without my kids so we decided to splurge. It was a Pre Fixe menu with a choice of two different entrees. We decided to get one of each and shared. They were both absolutely delicious. Every bite was a treat. I will definitely come back, but agan not with my kids! The restaurant is charming and the service is timed to perfection. Highly recommend to foodies, picky eaters or those following a strict diet should stay away. They focus on a few really well thought out dishes, not the place you would want to make substitutions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- extremely romanticEagleDined on 7/12/2014If you want to impress your date guys, cafe monarch is the place to go. Quaint and romantic are exactly what this place is and the food was absolutely amazing. Make sure you check the always changing menu before you go however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodeats5Dined on 7/11/2014Cute little restaurant in downtown Scottsdale with prix fixed dinner, reasonably priced. Definitely on my list for out of town guests, anniversaries...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing findLuvTapasDined on 7/4/2014The set menu is published weekly. Incredible creations with perfectly paired wine. Each course was amazing! We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/3/2014Great concept that is executed flawlessly. Atmosphere, food, and service are all spot on!Special Features:
- Excellent!!!Gritty51Dined on 6/28/2014Both the meal and the ambience were excellent! Also, this restaurant was a great value for the money. I'd highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great French spot in Old TownGoodFoodEatsDined on 6/28/2014My wife & I tried Cafe Monarch for the first time out on a date night this past weekend. We figured the place would be crazy starting at 6pm when we had our reservation considering they are only open 6-9pm five days per week. Thankfully, they were just starting to fill up at that time and they weren't full until closer to 7pm. All of the food was amazing and well thought out. The wine pairings were also great and the side of diver scallops were on point. My only complaint would be that the music might have been a little too loud (could have been sitting by speakers though). Outside of the music, truly a great dining experience. We did manage to spend $200 but it was worth every penny. Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- DaveSDined on 6/27/2014Very nice for a special event. Glad they leave the menu with you so you can figure out all the ingredients in each course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and RomanticNewToPHXDined on 6/25/2014I had heard about Cafe Monarch from a friend who had been there a couple of years ago. I took my wife for our anniversary and she loved the place. The candles were lit out on the patio where we ate and the fountains and lighting were majestic. The misters worked so well that we didn't even notice that we were eating outside (the day's high was over a hundred, but it didn't feel warmer than 80 in the courtyard). I was also surprised to see how much they served. Usually at executive chef restaurants, they serve tiny portions on each plate. This was not so. The salad was a great size (and had some amazing ingredients) and the steak was pretty large. It was the perfect amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!LisatnDined on 6/21/2014What a great find. Sat outside in the beautiful ivy covered, misted patio and had an amazing, delicious meal. We only had to make a decision on which of two entres we wanted. The rest was a set menu that changes every week. Everything we had was outstanding. Take a peek in to the kitchen at the end of your meal, to thank the chef, and see the limited equipement they use to produce the meals.....made us appreciate everything we ate even more. Our waiter (the owner) took great care of us. Wines were all from boutique wineries. Can not wait to go back.....this is my new Scottsdale favourite restaurant.Special Features:
- Quaint Amidst the Crowd.TwilightDinersDined on 6/21/2014Lovely small private patio, service was pleasant, food was good albeit the Filet was medium well, not the house suggested medium rare. Started with Conch Pommes Frites that was divine, wine pairing was well selected. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Gazebo is awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/20/2014We visited Scottsdale in late June 2014 and ate at a few good restaurants (Cafe Monarch, FnB, Elements). Cafe Monarch was terrific. The food was great and the outdoor gazebo sitting was very nice. The mist-ers are on all night cooling off the outside but also they do make for bad hair nights :)Special Features:
- Service and food were outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Each dish was a taste sensation. We tried both their entrees and shared. I couldn't decide which was better the meat or the fish.Special Features:
- Gourmet Magical EveningDevine4usDined on 6/18/2014Celebrating our Anniversary at Cafe Monarch was truly a magical experience! After a warm welcome, we made our way to the candle lit garden patio. Our server expertly explained the menu and asked our choice of entree and if we would like the wine paring. He slipped away and the first course arrived. A fabulous conch fritter stuffed squash blossom. It was superb! This was followed by a Summer Salad with an amazing basil-Dijon vinaigrette. My husband chose the cast iron roasted filet mignon and I chose the sautéed Baja Baquetta (a delicious white fish). We shared the entrees, fabulous!! Dessert was a sweet taste of four house made treats served with sparklers!! If you are in Scottsdale don't miss this treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best overall dining experienceLuv2dineDined on 6/11/2014Everything was perfect...ambiance, service, food and wine. We thoroughly enjoyed the 4 course meal with wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemCorenp914VIPDined on 6/11/2014We loved the Monarch. It is hard to impress us New Yorkers, but we adored the food, service and ambience at his restuarant. The menu was fresh and modern, the preperation and presentation was stunning. We sat outside by the fountain, it was very romantic. We had a memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winnertravelerVIPDined on 6/10/2014From the ambience to the service and especially the food- a superb dining experience. Still talking about the food a day later and planning to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely LOVED it!BelindaDined on 6/7/2014One of the prettiest places I've eaten in Scottsdale! Our first time. Cannot believe we had not been there before. The Hawaiian Opa was amazing! The atmosphere was quaint, cozy & romantic. Misters, twinkle lights, fountains & candles made the patio the perfect place to be. My husbands skirt steak was on the chewy/tough side. Our server was amazing - offered to bring a new serving and "make it right". Loved the place & look forward to returning! Thank you Cafe Monarch for a lovely birthday I will remember :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Meal for Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014I booked a reservation at Cafe Monarch for my friend's birthday dinner. We opted to add the wine pairing with the fixed menu - totally worth it. The food, the service and the patio seating made for an unforgettable meal. Next time we are in Phoenix, we will definitely go back!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014The food was good in general. fresh and fun tastes. The only disappointment was the flat iron steak. It was tough and way too chewy. We also let Cafe Monarch know it was our 28th anniversary and they did not have a good table for us. They wanted to stick us by the front door. We made reservations early so it could be special.Special Features:
- Beatiful restaurant in ScottsdaleAndreaDined on 6/6/2014The place is really romantic with a special atmosphere Food is very good and the service too RecommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 47 reviews are from the Cafe Monarch reviews archive.
- Very SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014It's as if you were invited to a little dinner party at a cute little home. The only minus was the bar area is a bit noisy. All of the staff were friendly and engaging, even the bus staff.Special Features:
- 2nd visitQuidoDined on 5/30/2014This is our second visit to this special restaurant. The ambiance at night is special and the owner and staff are like family friends to their guests. The menu is limited but what you get is outstanding and worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Cafe Monarch!LuvfoodDined on 5/29/2014What a wonderful evening, with fantastic food, ambience and service! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe MonarchkentuckygirlDined on 5/24/2014This was my first experience dining at this restaurant and I was not disappointed. Everything is fresh, organic and very flavorful. I enjoyed the menu being preset, no decisions except fish or beef, wine or no wine. I like the price is set, all you need to do is relax and enjoy! The pacing of the 4 course meal was perfect . Give it a try!Special Features:
- Great meal in downtown ScottsdaleNYDinerVIPDined on 5/24/2014We were visiting from NYC and had a great meal at Cafe Monarch. Great food, service and atmosphere. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!JLovesFoodDined on 5/23/2014The restaurant is quaint and charming! The ambience is intimate and romantic. The service is attentive, but unobtrusive. The food is sublime. I have absolutely nothing but amazing things to say about our entire experience. Picky eaters beware, however. The menu is pre-set, with little in the way of alternatives or options. This was not an issue for us, however! We enjoyed every bite of our dinner just the way it was!Special Features:
- Wonderful findAlgerDined on 5/22/2014We had one of the best meals ever here. Every dish was outstanding! It is not cheap but if you want to splurge on a great dinner and dining experience we highly recommend Monarch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazing!bethdDined on 5/22/2014My husband and I were visiting from Boston and found Cafe Monarch on Trip Advisor. We decided to try it and are SO glad we did. The food was out of this world. Very different and perfectly tasty. Christian (owner) was such a great host, made us feel right at home. He introduced us to the Chef and sous chef, brought us right into the kitchen. Definitely a must do while in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a find!MimiDined on 5/20/2014Wow on so many levels! Cafe Monarch came recommended to us by a a co-worker of my husband's here in Canada. Well what a great recommendation. That said, we weren't quite sure to be honest when we first pulled up. Seemed a little more casual than we were expecting. But as soon as we walked in it was very magical... a beautiful surprise!! And the food was equally as wonderful.I won't give it away ...just go and see for yourselves. You won't be disappointed. We will return when we are in Scottsdale next without a doubt! Would be a terrific venue for a garden party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a surprise!MattGVIPDined on 5/15/2014A must if you visit Scottsdale. It is located in a non-descript part of town and unless you know it is there you would not think twice about the building. The patio is the place to sit if you are lucky enough to get one of the tables. Dine mid-week for a better chance. The best part is the food matches the beauty of the restaurant. I cannot wait to return.Special Features: