6934 E. 1st Ave.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://cafemonarch.com/
- Phone: 4809707682x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday
First Seating 5:30pm Last Seating 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Branden Levine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
A word from Cafe Monarch
Surrounded by a candle lit courtyard and 2 gorgeous dining rooms, guests enjoy a 4 course pre fixe menu featuring fresh, organic, all-natural seasonal ingredients. Quaint, charm, romance and warmth surrounds this true foodie destination. Menu changes weekly. Upon reservation please specify if you have any food allergies and/or dietary restrictions. Cafe Monarch will accommodate any allergies or dietary restrictions to ensure every guest can enjoy every course. Reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Monarch - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
Cafe Monarch reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)romantic (117)fit for foodies (105)great for outdoor dining (102)neighborhood gem (65)notable wine list (39)good for groups (13)hot spot (12)scenic view (10)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Amazing ExperienceUnhappyDined on 10/21/2014Hands down the best restaurant in town right now! Amazing food, service, and atmosphere. I won't hesitate to recommend this place and we will be back soon. Menu is changed weekly and go with the Tier 1 wine pairing options. Wine choices are perfect and no need to go for the Tier 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteViviDined on 10/18/2014I have traveled around the world, and always ate at the best restaurants wherever I went. Cafe Monarch belongs in the top 10 of my list of best restaurants in the world. Food was excellent, portions where just right, atmosphere was beautiful and romantic. It reminded me of a French Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!WilsonsDined on 10/18/2014Cafe Monarch was featured on our morning News, My husband and I decided that Cafe Monarch would be a perfect place to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. The owners Sophia the mom and Christian the son were so welcoming the minute we got there. Christian was our sever and was fantastic, he had his mom Sophia come over so we could meet her, what a beautiful women! The food was outstanding as was the Wine Tier.At the end of our meal as they brought us our dessert with a sparkler lit we were also given a gift in honor of our anniversary which was so special. Thank you Cafe Monarch for a beautiful evening that we will never forget and the Delicious Dinner. Our next visit to your restaurant can't come soon enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!ljoybakermdDined on 10/17/2014On our recent trip to Phoenix, AZ, my guy and I decided to try this restaurant I saw on Open Table's top picks for the area. I cross checked it with trip advisor, where the reviews were also great, so I booked reservations. We are always in search of a great meal, and are disappointed about half the time. Let me say, there were absolutely NO disappointments here! We arrived and we're escorted to the most charming candlelit patio with ivy and seat next to a small fountain.Our server, who turned out to be Christian, the owner, was extremely attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and wine pairing (tier 2=fabulous). Every course was excellently done! We will come back to Phoenix just to dine here again next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a romantic dinnerHuckDined on 10/17/2014Service was excellent, atmosphere was very special with the fountains, lighting and decorations on the outdoor patio. Food was good and we thought not overly expensive but lacked a little in creativeness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingcadamsDined on 10/16/2014New favorite lunch spot. Food was amazing and the courtyard is adorable. First time we came for lunch and we will definitely be coming back. I went with my husband but would be great for a group too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ogbgDined on 10/15/2014An outstanding, sophisticated and beautiful choice for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJimboDined on 10/15/2014Amazing place! Great food, service and ambience.Gus has done a great job creating something out of the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous eveningBuckleysmomDined on 10/14/2014We went there for our Anniversary and it was a very memorable evening. We sat outside in the courtyard, it was very romantic with all the candle light. The waiter suggested the perfect wine for our dinner, and the food was outstanding. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's OkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014It's just ok. Entree's were quite good. Rest of the meal was just ok. Reality was not as good as the expectations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must dine hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014What an amazing dining experience. Everything was excellent! The menu the chef prepared was so delicious and service and the outdoor patio was perfect for my daughters birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Fantastic & Charming RestaurantManoloVIPDined on 10/10/2014The new owners Chris & Phillip are doing a fantastic job. Their attention to detail & service is fantastic. My wife & I dine in the outside patio. Absolutely gorgeous! Decorated with lanterns & chandeliers. Beautiful green area. The food was amazing. My ravioli were superb. My wife's fish tasty & the wine flights made the meal top notch. The service was great & had a fabulous time. The inside of the Restsurant very cozy & charming. Great painting of El Greco! Congratulations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Courtyard is amazingLeahDined on 10/10/2014The best ambience and near best food, EVER! This is truly a beautiful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!LisatnDined on 10/9/2014Truly a unique experience. The menu is set weekly and both times we visited, it was outstanding. Nice wine list. Love the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemmontanafoodieDined on 10/9/2014I live less than a mile from this restaurant and read about it in a magazine. It is a quaint, back yard setting with ambience and the food is absolutely the best. We had the three course lunch and it started out great and kept getting better. Will become our regular when we are in townSpecial Features:
- Simply splendidWendygrDined on 10/7/2014We went for lunch. The interior tables were beautifully set and the place was atmospheric. We chose to dine in the courtyard. Which is delightful and richly romantic even in daylight. our waiter Scott and other servers were attentive, helpful with our meal choices and friendly. We opted for the Prix fixe menu. The food was simply outstanding and we thought a very good choice for the price. This is a gem of a restaurant and we will return every time we are in Phoenix.Special Features:
- Pleasant but DisappointedhadagoodtimeDined on 10/4/2014The food was not as delicious as our previous experience. We had a lost order and unless I had given the waiter a "what's up looK" I am unsure how much longer our wait would have been. That was somewhat made up for by a discount on the wine but the wait did lessen the entire experience. The food was average after it was said the fish entree was similar to Ahi Tuna. It was not close and had minimum taste. The ravioli was too cheesey tasting. The evening was pleasant but not as enjoyable as our first visit when the Manager was conssitently making sure not onluy us but other resturant customers were satisfied during the evening. We did not see that type of customer service at all during this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Special Occasion SpotFoodieFeindDined on 10/4/2014Food was fantastic, every course was delectable & the wine pairing wast perfect. Courtyard balanced romance of candle light without feeling like you're eating in the dark very well. Service was great, servers were friendly, knowledgeable, and went out of their way to make our experience special. Only little thing that bothered me was they had the 2 tops in a row along the center so it was very difficult to feel like your having an intimate, romantic dinner when you're constantly bumping elbows, making eye contact and unavoidable listening to your neighbors conversations because they're only seated 2 feet away from you. Would have preferred they swap the table layout around.Special Features:
- Excellentalp1VIPDined on 9/30/2014Cafe Monarch was one of the best meals we have had in a long time and we dine out pretty frequently. The white truffle celeriac soup was amazing!!!! I would have licked the bowl if I could. Filet and halibut also perfectly done. Four courses for 65 is a bargain. No trouble with noise- we chose to sit inside on a Tuesday evening so it was very quiet as everyone else was seated outside.Special Features:
- Intimate Dining ExperienceLifeontheroadDined on 9/30/2014Had a business dinner there and my colleague liked it so much he went back the next night. The patio ambiance was making me wish I had my wife with me instead. I will definitely be back on my next trip to Phoenix.Special Features:
- Simply SuperbDaveMDined on 9/27/2014I eat out a lot. My dinner with friends and family at Cafe Monarch was easily one of the top 5 restaurant experiences of my life. Every aspect was executed perfectly. The owner and staff made our experience just the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rave reviewsKat17Dined on 9/26/2014Group of six of us (from Canada)went to Scottsdale to celebrate our birthdays. Everything was top notch! We all kept raving about it for the rest of the weekend, and we dine out a lot so that's high praise! It's almost impossible to please that many women, but Cafe Monarch succeeded! Highlight of our girls vacation weekend. I had to make the reservation, which might have been difficult if not for Open Table...it was one of their top rated spots so thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely gorgeous and adorablePalominoIndyDined on 9/25/2014The decor and ambiance alone make this place worth your while. The patio is partially enclosed in an Ivy covered trellis and only illuminated by candlelight. Two fountains gently flow. And the food? It's a 4-course prix fix meal, though you have a choice of entree. You'll savor bite. Perfect for dates and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerluvyumDined on 9/25/2014We wanted to go somewhere special to celebrate our anniversary, and this was an excellent spot. The wine pairings were spot on. The food was delicious. I chose the filet, and it was cooked perfectly. I was expecting the portions to be small, but they weren't at all. We chose to sit outside, thinking the breeze would keep us cool, but by the entree course, we wished we had chosen indoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Your Taste Buds will Thank YouBlueSkyHighDined on 9/24/2014My husband and I are new to the area and were experiencing his first birthday here. He likes to cook and enjoys quality creative well prepared food. Thankfully Monarch met his high standards and expectations. We had the Filet Mignon w/scallops special and wine pairings. We found the food thoughtfully prepared and expertly executed. The candle lit patio was both enchanting and romantic. The service was attentive and included a birthday surprise. We'll be back and won't be surprised if it's crowded.Special Features:
- Deserves the Blue Ribbon!food4joyDined on 9/23/2014We'd heard good things and have been wanting to try Monarch for ages. It surpassed expectations! Delicious food, great waiter and lovely setting; who could ask for anything more? The best Sable (Black Cod) I've ever had. The seasoning and choice of ingredients were perfect -not over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialNowthatsaspicymeatballDined on 9/20/2014The most romantic patio in the metro area. Food was perfectly done and nicely presented and the service was, as always, impeccable.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Your Review: Celebrated our Anniversary Dinner and had an exceptional dinner here. We made our reservation well in advance however it was a very warm night and were seated outside. We did not request inside seating (air conditioned) however we were glad we were outside due to the higher noise level inside. Both dishes were excellent from the filet mignon to my husband sea bass. We were impressed that they acknowledge it was our anniversary and allowing us to have our time and we're not rushed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & Ambiance, Rude ManagerUnhappyDinerDined on 9/20/2014There were 6 of us who dined on Saturday night. We finished the food and dessert, everything went well and then about 15 minutes later, a man (a manager?) came to the table and said "We need this table because we have someone who has been waiting for this table for over an hour." (BTW, that courtyard was heavily misted and I was bitten twice by mosquitoes sitting there before we were seated.) I have been dining at various fine dining and NEVER was I asked to leave "because someone else is waiting for a table". I made the reservations and paid my check so I should be there and leave when time is right for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!luv2eatDined on 9/19/2014Cafe Monarch is absolutely wonderful! I am very indecisive, so the fixed menu was great for me. The only decision I had to make was which delicious cocktail to sip and which entree would suit me best. I typically like beef, but my husband and I decided to do something different and shared the sea bass and vegetarian lasagna. Both were incredible! The patio seating was beautiful, as we felt like we were in our own little world. Service was outstanding as well. We are so glad we stopped by while in town. This restaurant is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite dining experiencelweinsVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a splendid dinner here, sitting in the back patio. A lovely prosecco to start and the waiter let us be a good long time, which was lovely not to be hurried. A trout pate was delicious with apple chutney. Then a lovely salad followed by one of the bets filet mignons ever -- cooked to perfection. Dessert was a shortcake with berries. Just the right amount of sweetness and food. Wine pairing was also splendid -- and generous. One of our favorite restaurants anywhere. Wait staff was a little under the gun it seemed that eve.Special Features:
- Great Venue Great FoodDiningEdDined on 9/13/2014One of the best dinners we have had in years. The ambiance is wonderful, the fixed price menu was delicious. We chose to pair the chef's wine selections and that was perfect too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DominationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I was in town for business and found this fantastic place in 5 minutes on Urban Spoon. I was solo and everything was perfect. The staff were delightful and courteous. In fact, I ate a late dinner and was the only one inside (everyone else was on the patio). So, I overheard the owner and staff working. They were ultra professional when discussing guests. I own a small business so know how difficult it is to create a team that truly cares about the customers. The team at Monarch nailed it. The food was prepared with love. I had the price fix menu and every detail was accounted for. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find!IAgirlDined on 9/10/2014This restaurant name was provided to me by the concierge at the resort we were staying at as part of a two page list of recommended restaurants. I checked out the website and decided from there to try it. I was so glad I did. My mom and I had a wonderful time. We did both the four course meal and the wine pairings. The food was so delicious. We are heading back in October to AZ and I'm hoping we get a chance to return. I would highly recommend it!!Special Features:
- Cafe MonarchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Cafe Monarch was a recommendation from a friend. We were celebrating our 26th wedding anniversary. Flowers were ordered and were on the table when we arrived. The staff was very gracious and friendly. The fixed menu was delicious with the main entre choices being a seafood, meat or vegetarian. It was a great evening, a perfect spot for a small celebration. We'll be backSpecial Features:
- Beautiful butterfly themeSyraviewsDined on 9/6/2014We celebrated my birthday at Cafe Monarch, and everything was excellent. The outdoor space is beautiful and, in my opinion, worth a little bit of discomfort. It was a little warm on this September evening, but the misters were on and off intermittently, and it became comfortable over time. It was much quieter outside than inside. The food was amazing, and they even made slight modifications/accommodations when I asked. Every course was delicious, and my cocktail was creative and tasty. They also gave me a small trinket for my birthday! Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will want more and more...PhoenixFoodie63Dined on 9/6/2014We reserved a spot for 5:30, got in a little earlier. We love the outside decor and inside. Felt as if we were in some other state all together. The subtle foreign music was pleasing. The fresh flowers smells great. The freshened iced water with cucumber hint was not expected but definitely a like. The food: I got the filet and she got the trout. We had the four course dinner. It was absolutely off the charts great. For the price and what we had it was definitely worth every bit of it. Each course left me wanting more and more. Even my picky wife, she loved everything and of course that's a huge winner in my book for a restaurant. We will be back and yes we love the ever changing menu. It's why we will come back. The quality of food 10+.Special Features:
- Good not great.alwaysoutDined on 9/5/2014We dined at Café Monarch this past weekend and found the place to be "overhyped". The food was very good but the wines were terrible, which surprised all of us. Also the dessert was unremarkable. I don't think I would go back.
- We will be back...gettingDined on 9/5/2014The back patio was beautiful, food and wine pairings were amazing, and the staff did an amazing job taking care of us. It was a great choice for my wife's birthday dinner. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!gr8ps2uDined on 9/4/2014Just wonderful! Food, service, location, all perfect!Special Features: