6934 E. 1st Ave.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://cafemonarch.com/
- Phone: 4809707682x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday
First Seating 5:30pm Last Seating 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Branden Levine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
A word from Cafe Monarch
Surrounded by a candle lit courtyard and 2 gorgeous dining rooms, guests enjoy a 4 course pre fixe menu featuring fresh, organic, all-natural seasonal ingredients. Quaint, charm, romance and warmth surrounds this true foodie destination. Menu changes weekly. Upon reservation please specify if you have any food allergies and/or dietary restrictions. Cafe Monarch will accommodate any allergies or dietary restrictions to ensure every guest can enjoy every course. Reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Monarch - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
Cafe Monarch reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (130)romantic (126)fit for foodies (110)great for outdoor dining (110)neighborhood gem (74)notable wine list (43)hot spot (13)good for groups (13)scenic view (11)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Wonderful ambience and food!FoodiegirlDined on 10/25/2014My daughter and I had dinner at the Cafe Monarch. We sat in the courtyard, which was like a little Country garden. The menu was set but there was a choice among 3 entrees - filet, steelhead trout or a mushroom ravioli. My daughter had the filet , which was cooked to perfection and I had the trout, also delicious. The butternut squash soup was fantastic as was the autumn salad and I don't recall the name of the dessert but it was a little cake with butterscotch and pralines and was heavenly. If you are in the area of Old Town Scottsdale, go to the Monarch. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful garden with fine diningoldgalVIPDined on 10/25/2014Romantic beautiful garden conversation friendly dining suitable for couples as well as larger groups. Attentive service. Delicious food, but be warned there is no choice of first course, salad and dessert - but there is choice between 4 main courses. Interesting regional wines but choices by the glass are limited. Reasonable pricing for dining experience of this caliber. Easy parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAzdinerDined on 10/25/2014My dining experience was amazing. I wish we had more Scottsdale Restu rants of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten-free flexible on set menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014My wife has a very limited diet. She has loads of food intolerances. Despite that usual random restaurant dining landmine, I surprised her by making reservations at Cafe Monarch on a whim. With no expectations going in, we were pleasantly surprised by the ambience, the service, the quality of the food, and the food intolerance flexibility of the menu despite it being a set menu. Not realizing it was a set menu prior to our arrival, we were prepared for the "I'm sorry, we can't make those dishes without those ingredients" response. Much to our surprise, the server stated, "no problem" and made minor modifications to suit my wife's needs. to top off our experience, the food (even with modifications) was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Impeccable food with very good service in romantic ambience. A great treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superblaserguyVIPDined on 10/24/2014while visiting from ny i researched and found this gem. the only negative about the evening was the parking. no valet and difficult street parking. I highly suggest sitting outside in the beautiful courtyard. its romantic with great background music. the staff is very professional. i had the pleasure of meeting the manager/owner/server. This very personable young man has built a reputation in a very short time. he is in touch with all aspects of the business. he took a true interest in how our meal and experience in his restaurant were received! the food itself was served beautifully, fresh and well seasoned. The menu is price fixed. Your only choice is the 3 entree choices so you might check the menu first. Don.t miss this place.Special Features:
- Love Cafe MonarchItsVanVIPDined on 10/24/2014This Scottsdale hidden gem is just that. A Gem in the middle of Scottsdale! If you haven't been there, you HAVE to go NOW! Make your reservations early, as they fill up quickly.Special Features:
- Great findDavidGDined on 10/24/2014I had a business lunch here recently and we had a wonderful lunch. They have only started offering lunch so it was not very crowded. The food was great and the prices are reasonable. We sat indoors and it was perfect for a business discussion. The patio area looks lovely. My business colleague and I both plan to come back for dinner and bring our wives. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A must!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2014First time in Scottsdale and could not be happier with our first dinner out!! Amazing food & atmosphere. Try to sit outside if possible. Very romantic as well. Our waiter Johnnie was fantastic as well. It's a little pricey- but you get what you pay for. Can not say one average or bad word about this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special selection of wineLuvgoodfoodDined on 10/22/2014Enjoy the special selection of wine found her at the Monarch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceUnhappyDined on 10/21/2014Hands down the best restaurant in town right now! Amazing food, service, and atmosphere. I won't hesitate to recommend this place and we will be back soon. Menu is changed weekly and go with the Tier 1 wine pairing options. Wine choices are perfect and no need to go for the Tier 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteViviDined on 10/18/2014I have traveled around the world, and always ate at the best restaurants wherever I went. Cafe Monarch belongs in the top 10 of my list of best restaurants in the world. Food was excellent, portions where just right, atmosphere was beautiful and romantic. It reminded me of a French Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!WilsonsDined on 10/18/2014Cafe Monarch was featured on our morning News, My husband and I decided that Cafe Monarch would be a perfect place to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. The owners Sophia the mom and Christian the son were so welcoming the minute we got there. Christian was our sever and was fantastic, he had his mom Sophia come over so we could meet her, what a beautiful women! The food was outstanding as was the Wine Tier.At the end of our meal as they brought us our dessert with a sparkler lit we were also given a gift in honor of our anniversary which was so special. Thank you Cafe Monarch for a beautiful evening that we will never forget and the Delicious Dinner. Our next visit to your restaurant can't come soon enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!ljoybakermdDined on 10/17/2014On our recent trip to Phoenix, AZ, my guy and I decided to try this restaurant I saw on Open Table's top picks for the area. I cross checked it with trip advisor, where the reviews were also great, so I booked reservations. We are always in search of a great meal, and are disappointed about half the time. Let me say, there were absolutely NO disappointments here! We arrived and we're escorted to the most charming candlelit patio with ivy and seat next to a small fountain.Our server, who turned out to be Christian, the owner, was extremely attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and wine pairing (tier 2=fabulous). Every course was excellently done! We will come back to Phoenix just to dine here again next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and atmosphere!!Diners37Dined on 10/17/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here and had the best meal. The wine pairings were perfect and the cauliflower soup and Brussels sprouts were amazing. We had a four course meal including dessert that left us satisfied; not stuffed nor hungry afterwards. We ate on the patio and the vines and hanging lanterns created such a romantic setting. The staff was very friendly and knowledgable. We would definitely recommend this restaurant and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a romantic dinnerHuckDined on 10/17/2014Service was excellent, atmosphere was very special with the fountains, lighting and decorations on the outdoor patio. Food was good and we thought not overly expensive but lacked a little in creativeness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingcadamsDined on 10/16/2014New favorite lunch spot. Food was amazing and the courtyard is adorable. First time we came for lunch and we will definitely be coming back. I went with my husband but would be great for a group too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ogbgDined on 10/15/2014An outstanding, sophisticated and beautiful choice for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJimboDined on 10/15/2014Amazing place! Great food, service and ambience.Gus has done a great job creating something out of the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous eveningBuckleysmomDined on 10/14/2014We went there for our Anniversary and it was a very memorable evening. We sat outside in the courtyard, it was very romantic with all the candle light. The waiter suggested the perfect wine for our dinner, and the food was outstanding. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's OkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014It's just ok. Entree's were quite good. Rest of the meal was just ok. Reality was not as good as the expectations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must dine herelovegreatfoodDined on 10/10/2014What an amazing dining experience. Everything was excellent! The menu the chef prepared was so delicious and service and the outdoor patio was perfect for my daughters birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Fantastic & Charming RestaurantManoloVIPDined on 10/10/2014The new owners Chris & Phillip are doing a fantastic job. Their attention to detail & service is fantastic. My wife & I dine in the outside patio. Absolutely gorgeous! Decorated with lanterns & chandeliers. Beautiful green area. The food was amazing. My ravioli were superb. My wife's fish tasty & the wine flights made the meal top notch. The service was great & had a fabulous time. The inside of the Restsurant very cozy & charming. Great painting of El Greco! Congratulations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Courtyard is amazingLeahDined on 10/10/2014The best ambience and near best food, EVER! This is truly a beautiful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!LisatnDined on 10/9/2014Truly a unique experience. The menu is set weekly and both times we visited, it was outstanding. Nice wine list. Love the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemmontanafoodieDined on 10/9/2014I live less than a mile from this restaurant and read about it in a magazine. It is a quaint, back yard setting with ambience and the food is absolutely the best. We had the three course lunch and it started out great and kept getting better. Will become our regular when we are in townSpecial Features:
- Simply splendidWendygrDined on 10/7/2014We went for lunch. The interior tables were beautifully set and the place was atmospheric. We chose to dine in the courtyard. Which is delightful and richly romantic even in daylight. our waiter Scott and other servers were attentive, helpful with our meal choices and friendly. We opted for the Prix fixe menu. The food was simply outstanding and we thought a very good choice for the price. This is a gem of a restaurant and we will return every time we are in Phoenix.Special Features:
- Pleasant but DisappointedhadagoodtimeDined on 10/4/2014The food was not as delicious as our previous experience. We had a lost order and unless I had given the waiter a "what's up looK" I am unsure how much longer our wait would have been. That was somewhat made up for by a discount on the wine but the wait did lessen the entire experience. The food was average after it was said the fish entree was similar to Ahi Tuna. It was not close and had minimum taste. The ravioli was too cheesey tasting. The evening was pleasant but not as enjoyable as our first visit when the Manager was conssitently making sure not onluy us but other resturant customers were satisfied during the evening. We did not see that type of customer service at all during this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Special Occasion SpotFoodieFeindDined on 10/4/2014Food was fantastic, every course was delectable & the wine pairing wast perfect. Courtyard balanced romance of candle light without feeling like you're eating in the dark very well. Service was great, servers were friendly, knowledgeable, and went out of their way to make our experience special. Only little thing that bothered me was they had the 2 tops in a row along the center so it was very difficult to feel like your having an intimate, romantic dinner when you're constantly bumping elbows, making eye contact and unavoidable listening to your neighbors conversations because they're only seated 2 feet away from you. Would have preferred they swap the table layout around.Special Features:
- Excellentalp1VIPDined on 9/30/2014Cafe Monarch was one of the best meals we have had in a long time and we dine out pretty frequently. The white truffle celeriac soup was amazing!!!! I would have licked the bowl if I could. Filet and halibut also perfectly done. Four courses for 65 is a bargain. No trouble with noise- we chose to sit inside on a Tuesday evening so it was very quiet as everyone else was seated outside.Special Features:
- Intimate Dining ExperienceLifeontheroadDined on 9/30/2014Had a business dinner there and my colleague liked it so much he went back the next night. The patio ambiance was making me wish I had my wife with me instead. I will definitely be back on my next trip to Phoenix.Special Features:
- Simply SuperbDaveMDined on 9/27/2014I eat out a lot. My dinner with friends and family at Cafe Monarch was easily one of the top 5 restaurant experiences of my life. Every aspect was executed perfectly. The owner and staff made our experience just the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rave reviewsKat17Dined on 9/26/2014Group of six of us (from Canada)went to Scottsdale to celebrate our birthdays. Everything was top notch! We all kept raving about it for the rest of the weekend, and we dine out a lot so that's high praise! It's almost impossible to please that many women, but Cafe Monarch succeeded! Highlight of our girls vacation weekend. I had to make the reservation, which might have been difficult if not for Open Table...it was one of their top rated spots so thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely gorgeous and adorablePalominoIndyDined on 9/25/2014The decor and ambiance alone make this place worth your while. The patio is partially enclosed in an Ivy covered trellis and only illuminated by candlelight. Two fountains gently flow. And the food? It's a 4-course prix fix meal, though you have a choice of entree. You'll savor bite. Perfect for dates and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerluvyumDined on 9/25/2014We wanted to go somewhere special to celebrate our anniversary, and this was an excellent spot. The wine pairings were spot on. The food was delicious. I chose the filet, and it was cooked perfectly. I was expecting the portions to be small, but they weren't at all. We chose to sit outside, thinking the breeze would keep us cool, but by the entree course, we wished we had chosen indoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Your Taste Buds will Thank YouBlueSkyHighDined on 9/24/2014My husband and I are new to the area and were experiencing his first birthday here. He likes to cook and enjoys quality creative well prepared food. Thankfully Monarch met his high standards and expectations. We had the Filet Mignon w/scallops special and wine pairings. We found the food thoughtfully prepared and expertly executed. The candle lit patio was both enchanting and romantic. The service was attentive and included a birthday surprise. We'll be back and won't be surprised if it's crowded.Special Features:
- Deserves the Blue Ribbon!food4joyDined on 9/23/2014We'd heard good things and have been wanting to try Monarch for ages. It surpassed expectations! Delicious food, great waiter and lovely setting; who could ask for anything more? The best Sable (Black Cod) I've ever had. The seasoning and choice of ingredients were perfect -not over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialNowthatsaspicymeatballDined on 9/20/2014The most romantic patio in the metro area. Food was perfectly done and nicely presented and the service was, as always, impeccable.Special Features:
- Exceptional in every way.RORELROVIPDined on 9/20/2014We dined here during a short stay in Scottsdale. We dined in the courtyard which was very romantic. The food and wine choices were superb. There just aren't enough superlative words or phrases to describe the overall experience.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Your Review: Celebrated our Anniversary Dinner and had an exceptional dinner here. We made our reservation well in advance however it was a very warm night and were seated outside. We did not request inside seating (air conditioned) however we were glad we were outside due to the higher noise level inside. Both dishes were excellent from the filet mignon to my husband sea bass. We were impressed that they acknowledge it was our anniversary and allowing us to have our time and we're not rushed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.