6 W Cross Street
Baltimore, MD 21230Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sobocafe.net/
- Phone: 4107521518x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Let us cater your next business lunch or house party. We offer sandwiches on house made bread. In addition, we offer salads & appetizer platters. We will customize any order to suit your taste or diet. Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Our cozy, intimate dining room is the perfect setting for your event. Enjoy a seasonal dish and a glass of carefully chosen wine or beer.We pride ourselves on preparing our from-scratch menu with fresh ingredients and a whole lot of flavor. A favorite among neighbors and visitors, we go out of our way to make everyone feel at home. Weekdays - Business Breakfast/Brunch Meetings Happy Hours - Showers - Parties - Rehearsal Dinners
- Entertainment: Music Tuesdays - join us for live music (acoustic or jazz) on select Tuesdays
- Cross Street: Between S. Charles & S. Hanover Streets
- Public Transit: Charm City Circulator (Purple Line) Stops: Cross Street or Henrietta Street, MTA (1 or 64 Lines)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street (please read signs carefully, Shofer"s Furniture Parking Lot (Hamburg St entrance) - one block from SoBo Café - evening paid parking $5, West St Parking Garage - 40 E West Street - paid parking
A word from SoBo Cafe
We pride ourselves on preparing our from-scratch menu with fresh ingredients and a whole lot of flavor. Our cozy, intimate dining room is the perfect setting to enjoy a seasonal dish and a glass of carefully chosen wine or beer. A perennial favorite among neighbors and visitors, we go out of our way to make everyone feel at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
SoBo Cafe - Best Restaurants in Federal Hill ›
SoBo Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (73)fit for foodies (58)great for brunch (34)great for lunch (27)special occasion (19)good for groups (18)romantic (15)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (10)notable wine list (10)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Glad I Found This Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014Visiting Baltimore from Connecticut. I'm so glad I trusted the on-line reviews. This was a fantastic experience! From the moment we stepped into the quaint dining room, we were greeted with enthusiasm. Began with the rosemary hummus app. WOW! The flavor was perfect, and an unexpected delight was the veggies served with it were marinated and very tasty. The bread & flavored butter-delicious. Entrees were perfection as well: Chicken Pot Pie, Dry Rubbed Steak-Amazing, SoBo Burger fantastic intense flavored bacon & Veg Pho-very different-good if you like smokey flavoring too. Must try the pistachio-rosemary ice cream that came with Strawberry shortcake. OMG I can't wait to come back. Service & Food A+++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/19/2014Enjoyed a lunch at Sobo, and both of us loved what we had. Can't speak highly enough about the smoked chicken salad sandwich. The chicken salad was sooo good and the bread was its equal. The woman who served us was very enthusiastic and clearly cared about making sure everything was to our liking. She was extremely knowledgeable about the menu. We've been here before for dinner and also had an excellent experience.
- Federal Hill findNotafoodieDined on 5/17/2014My family went to Sobo for my daughters 28th birthday at her request. My daughter has been there several times for brunch, this was her first dinner experience. She claims the food is just as delicious at brunch. The food was fresh and well prepaired, everyone was happy with their meal. I would definately go to Sobo again and it will be on my recommended Fed Hill restaurant list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just gooddisappointedVIPDined on 5/15/2014food was good, not great. would go elsewhere and with so many great restaurants in baltimore, not sure we'd go back. Server was GREAT!
- Gem of a RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014I was looking for a place to take my mother for a quiet Mother's day brunch and I stumbled on SoBo Cafe. It was the perfect place. Not only was the food delicious, the atmosphere was like being at a friend's place. This was just the type of place I was looking for. I can't wait to come back to check it out again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2014The food was excellent and the restaurant was perfect for a saturday night dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent MealFedhillliv2eatVIPDined on 5/5/2014Continually surprised to find such a great restaurant in this location of Cross Street. Perfect for great food and a quieter more adult atmosphere than surrounding restaurants and bars. Friendly and efficient staffSpecial Features:
- Delicious!bmorefoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014Finally tried SoBo Cafe this past weekend and so glad I did! Bf and I wanted a walkable dining spot for a date night and it did not disappoint. We split mac and cheese appetizer which was cheesy gooey and fabulous. I had the steak with creamed spinach and fingerling potatoes, bf had lamb steak over polenta with root vegetables. Both were excellent and quite filling (sadly leaving us without room for dessert). Of note they only have beer and wine, but have a great selection including local brews. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceMarylandBoomerangDined on 5/2/2014Booked a reservation at SoBo for my wife's birthday dinner and they bent over backwards to make it an extremely special occasion. Despite the fact that they also had a large wedding rehearsal dinner booked that same evening, we received top notch service and a prime table next to a window. And the food - simply delicious! I had the Bavette Steak, which was ridiculously tender and well seasoned. My wife tried duck for the first time and was equally pleased. And don't miss out on the fingerling potatoes, because they're better than french fries. We'll definitely be back again (and again and again....).Special Features:
- First time diners--neighborhood gemFamilyfunDined on 4/29/2014First time diners at this attractive neighborhood restaurant. Arrived early for dinner on a rainy late afternoon with two of my adult children. Nice layout to the restaurant and bar. Good choices on the menu--I picked the seared salmon and requested that it be cooked "medium" as main course and started with mussels. Both were excellent choices and prepared as requested. Prices were reasonable as well although not sure I will ever get used to $14.00 hamburgers regardless of the type of beef (sure this is generational as I'm 66!). Service was attentive and non-obtrusive. Overall an excellent last minute choice for an enjoyable dinner in our neighborhood. Look forward to our next visit and will gladly recommend to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BrunchFrequentDinerDined on 4/27/2014As usual, SoBo's brunch was top notch. Try the eggs benedict and the homemade cinnamon roll. The specialty mimosa was delicious as well. This week was pomegranate mango.Special Features:
- Awesome !!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Went for brunch with my family on Easter and we LOVED it !! Brunch was great !! I will be going back for sure !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014We are huge fans of SoBo Cafe, great food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great local spot, don't overlookWMColmes14VIPDined on 4/18/2014a lot of folks forget it is there, but they always get it done. nice dishes, bold flavors. Try the mussels! And yes, they will bring you more bread for the sauce! they are very reasonable and the staff is very nice. a great local place for a quick mealSpecial Features:
- Delicious but the service is slowSilbermana1Dined on 4/17/2014The food was delicious, but it took an hour and a half to arrive, so if you are in a rush or have very sleepy children with you, I would not recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food at Great PriceLarryDined on 4/12/2014I have been there many times and the food has always been great. I have never had a bad meal there. Besides the food, the service is great and they are very attentive to you. My favorite neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemJoshGDined on 3/29/2014Me and my girlfriend were looking fora new place to try last Saturday and I remember seeing SOBO's sign while walking down CharlesStreet. I had originally heard of this place as a brunch hot spot, but decided to try it out for dinner. Upon my arrival the staff was very friendly and offered speedy service. They had a small, but unique menu with a great wine and special drink menu. I had the Asian Chicken Fried Steak and it was delightful, it was a nice twist on this and I would recommend it to anyone who stops in. Their banana bread pudding is also amazing, great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in BaltimoreBreezyDined on 3/23/2014My family was in town for a wedding and wanted to get brunch at a local diner outside of the Inner Harbor. We were very lucky we found SoBo Cafe. Not only were the homemade cinnamon roles and bread fantastic, the service was also great. The portions are very large and fresh. We enjoyed the cafe's photography exhibit and wished we could come back for the wine selection. All in all, I would highly recommend SoBo Cafe. Great food and wonderful people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummmmJuanVIPDined on 3/22/2014First off, it was crowded and noisy. Very noisy. But the food? The food was delicious! I had the burger and I have to say it may be the best burger I have ever had. We started with the mussels and they were also superb. Ask for extra bread and a spoon because the broth should not be wasted. Service was fair. It was busy in there, but I at least would like my iced tea refilled in a more timely manner. Overall, I really liked the place and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect brunch spotpaige29VIPDined on 3/16/2014This was the second time dining at sobo cafe for brunch. The welcoming is fantastic, however the wait staff not so much which is why the food makes up for it. Make sure you get a cinnamon roll since they are limited in quantity (we got one to go) as well as try their apple butter bread that is served while you wait for your food. Their biscuits are amazing and i savor every bite. My boyfriend loves the creamed chip beef which is not overly heavy or creamy. I had the eggs Benedict with both ham and greens and cleaned my plate. I think the wait staff keeps a carefree attitude which is why things don't move so quickly. The owner/manager is beyond personable and very welcoming. He is part of the reason why I will continue to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FuhgeddaboutitcityphilleDined on 3/15/2014Saturday nite dinner with friends. Nothing was worth raising the fork for. Pathetic smoked salmon attached to cream cheesy goat cheese. Inedible corned beef and cabbage. Need I say more. Good thing we had good company and okay wine, Pretty pathetic as a dining experience. Disappointed They reached and failed. Nice bathroom with door that locks sometimes.
- Great spot for a business lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/10/2014Food is fresh, creative and served promptly. SoBo Cafe is close to downtown and quiet enough so you can actually hear what's being said at your table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a find...cherieireneVIPDined on 3/9/2014An attractive entrance and a warm greeting from Jim, the owner, set the tone for a wonderful brunch experience. It felt like we were dining with old friends. A start of a Michelada (lager,clamato, lemon) was perfect and the cinnamon bun was the best I have ever had. My dining partner and I shared the Big Breakfast (ham, bacon, pancakes, eggs, home fries, toast) and the Creamed Chipped Beef ( using the most delicious biscuit as the "shingle") Every item was delicious. With the friendly waitstaff and the constant flow of happy diners, the place has a wonderful, welcome vibe that makes for a delightful dining experience. Lots of specials happen at night (jazz, wine specials) that prompt my return visit soon. Definite neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, cute restaurantLM24Dined on 3/8/2014I've lived in Fed Hill for a year and always passed by in my car, but finally decided to stop by when some friends were in town. The food was awesome (I had the eggs benedict). The eggs were cooked perfectly, the biscuit/pastry the eggs were on was homemade by the chef and noteably delicious. It also had kale on it and comes with fresh fruit on the side and breakfast tomatoes. To start, they give you a slice of their homemade apple bread which is super tasty. The servers are really nice and pretty quick to get what you need. The coffee is good, and the ambiance is great. Not too loud and nice decor. I'd love to go back and try a Wednesday wine flight night.Special Features:
- me likeyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/22/2014Food wa excellent, well prepared. Had the Mussels, Liver on Onions. WOW. Very good service as well, very friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014Food was good, price was right. Wine list needs improvementSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first visit!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014Place was packed, probably also due to Restaurant Week. Mussels appetizer, Salmon, and Bavette Steak were delicious. Good portion size for the price. Our server did a great job considering how busy she was. The manager was helping out too and was very welcoming. We can't wait to return and try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week, 2014emc417Dined on 2/21/2014Really great experience, we went for Restaurant Week and were not disappointed. Definitely save room for the desserts, those were the highlightsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food--well presentedAnnieDined on 2/20/2014We chanced upon Sobo on a recent trip to Baltimore during what happened to be Restaurant Week. Well, after a glance at the menu, I couldn't resist so I booked us a table and I was glad I did. The Waldorf salad was good--definitely they played with a concept which is a bit challenging. My DH had the Mussels as an appetizer and loved their spicy sauce. We both ordered the salmon with the amazing white beans. A beautiful presentation with so many well melded flavors. For desert the non-flour chocolate cake with poached pear was so good I wanted to lick the plate. Finally I must recommend the white wine sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An A in my bookFatnHappyDined on 2/19/2014This was my 2nd time at SoBo Café...and it was just as good as the 1st. Our meals were awesome. I can't wait to go back again. The only reason I rated the service as average was because we dined during restaurant week, so they were pack and a little slow, but that can be expected. This is a solid date spot with food that won't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Heart SoBolizkasDined on 2/19/2014I always enjoy this place. It's casual, but with great food, wonderful atmosphere and the owner is so friendly.Special Features:
- Great mealrsstackDined on 2/19/2014Great meal at sobo as it has been every time I've gone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a Dinner Party at a FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2014The atmosphere is extremely welcoming. I felt as if I had visited a friends home for a dinner party. My coat was taken at the door and hung on hooks near the entry. The restaurant is two renovated rowhouses so it was fitting. I ordered mac n cheese for an appetizer. It was pretty good; creamy and flavorful. For my entree I chose the Korean chicken fried steak with kimchi collard greens. I LOVE Korean food and it was the PERFECT fusion of Asian and southern comfort food. I wish they would package up and sell the kimchi. It was amazing! Dessert was parsnip cake with a caramel sauce. All in all great experience, so go try it! If I didn't live across town I'd be a regular for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Restaurant WeekBaltEaterDined on 2/16/2014We were the first table of patrons for Sobo Cafe's Winter Restaurant Week, and every course every one of the four of us got was spot on. Great deal, wonderful service, and amazing food. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time was a charmjmethechefVIPDined on 2/15/2014We went for a Saturday brunch. The service was very pleasant. The atmosphere is very bistro-like. We normally do not like tables for two right beside each other, so that you feel you are joining the people next to you. Luckily, no one was seated directly beside us, or I think we would have felt differently about the overall experience. The food was incredible. French dip, turkey club, cinnamon roll, and mac and cheese. Only complaint is we did not like the odd sourness of the salad dressing. Would get chips instead next time! We WILL be back.Special Features:
- Valentine RushJannDined on 2/14/2014Our reservation on Valentine's day was on the late side because we both work in DC (and actually prefer to eat later). Our waitress was literally insistent on dining on her schedule. We ordered drinks and an appetizer and had to ask to have some time to talk and enjoy it. Almost the second we were done, she was there taking it away and wanting our order. We ordered, a bowl of soup first and two entrees. Our soup came and not more than 5 minutes later our entrees were placed in front of us. THEN she disappeared. The food was good...but the pace of the meal was certainly NOT befitting a Valentine's evening with my husband.Special Features: