Cioppino's On The Wharf
400 Jefferson St.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Cioppino's On The Wharf
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cioppinosf.com/
- Phone: 4157759311x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Available for special events up to 288 persons. Group dining menus starting at just $23 per person.
A word from Cioppino's On The Wharf
Welcome to Cioppino's, located on the corner of Jefferson and Leavenworth Street (across from the Cannery) on Fisherman's Wharf. Cioppino's offers a reasonably priced menu of fresh seafood, pasta and pizza, along with a full bar. Relax in our spacious dining room or soak up the sun on our sidewalk patio as you watch the pedestrians stroll by. Whether you bring the family or dine alone, you are always welcome at Cioppino's On The Wharf. (Price reflects the average cost of dinner, including one drink and tip: $18 and below.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Cioppino's On The Wharf - Best Restaurants in Fisherman's Wharf ›
Cioppino's On The Wharf reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (27)great for outdoor dining (22)kid-friendly (19)special occasion (15)scenic view (13)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (12)romantic (7)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Not just for touristsSusanJoyeDined on 12/29/2013My husband and myself were both born in San Francisco and know the city restaurants well. It is so nice to have such delicious food and drink in such a beautiful place. The service is always excellent. We go for no occasion or any special occasion. Our last visit happened to be our anniversary and we were given a great table in the back with a romantic view of the bay and complimentary dessert. We have friends coming in from FL next week so we will be returning right away, can't wait. It truly is the best Ciopinno in SF. They will even remove the crab from the shells if you prefer. Excellent in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for groupsLyncherDined on 12/27/2013We had a small group but the waiter was attentive and service was great. Great new place for us. My friends were in from LV and said they eat here again next time in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fishermans Warf StandardRobNDined on 12/26/2013We had dinner there while visiting Fishermans Warf. Parking was predictably difficult, but the meal was fine. Menu is all the standards. 6 of us all had different entres'. All service promptly and hot. Would go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick bitekamotionDined on 12/22/2013Always a favorite when in San Francisco. Unfortunately, the food quality has faltered. Crab cakes were good just not great. Tortellini was good (but they took the original preparation off the menu).Special Features:
- Just mehgriffDined on 12/16/2013We were looking for seafood, moderately priced, w a view for dinner. Trip advisor had actually given 4 star reviews. The place from the outside just looks like a tourist trap. Red checked table clothes, TV at bar. We couldn't sit by the windows to look out on the water bc of a private event. They were out of their daily special appetizer, sweet potato fries. Lastly, the seafood was just meh. IT smelled fishy When it arrived to the table and dint have much flavor.
- Wharf surpriseSVMomof2Dined on 11/29/2013Family owned restaurant in SF Wharf. Great service but food was just OK.Special Features:
- Very good food.JMGJRVIPDined on 11/23/2013Nice place, food was very good, service was excellent. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian on the wharfIndianaCoupleDined on 11/20/2013The food and service were good but not great. Our server was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for FourRobertDined on 10/30/2013Went with work-friends for early weeknight dinner - two had the small Cioppino, and it was enough to fill them! Both said it was fabulous! The other had Halibut - really enjoyed it and was such a large piece, she ate less than half. I had the Fried Fisherman's Platter with shrimp, calamari, and halibut over French Fries, and took about one-third home, where my wife and daughter promptly finished it. Very good, friendly service, and priced reasonably. I hope to return soon so I can try the Cioppino!Special Features:
- Always a great spot for locallyRollerDined on 10/18/2013Always a great spot for locally caught fish and Cioppino. Dining outside is always nice when weather is mild.Special Features:
- DinerValDinerValDined on 10/14/2013The food was not very good. The noise level was high. The waiter was attentive though. I would not return to this restsurant.
- AverageFalconVIPDined on 10/4/2013Average spot nothing special. Don't go out of your way.
- Aunts BdayBarbDined on 9/26/2013They made it perfect! Everyone enjoyed their meals. The salmon salad was tastey. My husband had the carbonara pasta which is off the hook! The tiramiso was perfect! Thanks to my blue eyed waiter and hostess who call me back to confirm everything! Cant wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All a bit too fastnickDined on 9/23/2013Had dinner here with a colleague. Service was good. Friendly and helpful staff. Neighborhood is nice on the wharf. Food was served way too fast. You cannot serve a fresh shrimp cocktail in a couple of minutes. Ice in the cocktail was melted. Main course was OK.Special Features:
- Fisherman's Wharf FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2013Reasonable prices, dock view at a few tables at back of resturant, several tables on sidewalk for people watchers, cioppino and waiter were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't return...WToddVIPDined on 9/1/2013We were seated quickly on a very busy night, which was the best part of our experience! The food was bland and not up to wharf standards! The seafood did not seem fresh, but frozen, thawed and served instead. The menu seemed amazing online but did not come close to what we were expecting. I will not be returning.
- Awesome experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/30/2013Walked in for our Friday night reservation and they sat us right away next to a window with a view of a little harbor, looking into the San Francisco Bay(view slightly limited by surrounding buildings)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2013If you want good food at a reasonable price for good, fresh food - this is your restaurant.Special Features:
- Good for familiesOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2013Ate here twice on vacation. Pizzas excellent. Shrimp with capellini and spaghetti and meatballs good. Would not order chicken Parm again - overcooked and not enough sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cioppino sauce flavorPeekerDined on 8/21/2013The cioppino sauce flavor and texture and spiciness were excellent, however the sesfood was overcooked.
- DisappointingLoriRVIPDined on 8/20/2013My first impressions were good. I was the first of my party to arrive, and the hostess greeted me and offered me a drink of water. I liked the decor -- open rooms, lots of wood, red-checked tablecloths. The menu had appealing options for both the adults and children in our party. But the food was just disappointing. I went with something very basic -- spaghetti and meatballs. I wasn't impressed with the flavor, and the texture of the pasta was gluey -- I could have made better from a box. My husband had the cioppino -- their signature dish -- and was not impressed; the seafood was overcooked and the dish didn't have much flavor. The third adult in our party said her pasta dish was fine, and the kids' meals seemed to be OK.Special Features:
- Mario Batali apparently haswawoodeeDined on 8/19/2013Mario Batali apparently has called their Cioppino the best in SF. Although I'm not an expert, it was very good. Interesting however, that the calamari in the appetizer was more tender than that in the Cioppino. I would say that the clams & mussels were average. The crab salad sandwich was very good, but not the best I've had in the Wharf. A group of 9 of us ended with a $250 lunch bill (incl gratuity), & that was without any alcohol and with a 10% discount courtesy of the gift shop across the street. Our group consisted of 4 kids under 12, 4 adults & a 15-year old. There was one full-size Cioppino order (~$35) & 1 small size. Bottom line: it's not cheap, doesn't have a view & is not quite what I would call "fit for foodies". Great service.Special Features:
- Delicious (and quite large)JasonVIPDined on 8/14/2013Delicious (and quite large) cioppino, and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Pier DiningNWPaddlerDined on 8/10/2013Of all of the Italian seafood tourist restaurants along the San Francisco pier, Cioppino's is one of the better places and I have been there several times. I had a small group in town who had never been to the pier and we had a 8pm reservation on a Saturday night in August. We still had to wait about 20 minutes as the placed was packed but they have a comfortable bar. The atmosphere is OK and it is a little loud. There is a limited view from the back but it is in a great location. The service is attentive and the waiter handled 6 different credit cards with ease. The food is good. Not great, but good and dependable. Prices are reasonable for the location.Special Features:
- Not as good as the first timePianoManVIPDined on 8/9/20132nd time we've been there. Ambiance was better in the front of the restaurant - we got the back this time. Server forgot to bring us our calamari appetizer. Whisky sour was mostly sour mix. Mushroom raviolis didn't have much mushroom. Crab cakes my wife had were pretty good. Sausage with the mushroom ravioli was ok, but not great. Wished we liked it more this time, but we'll probably go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/26/2013Was not expecting much but was totally surprised. Really enjoyed our dinner here. Maybe not fit for foodies, but if you're looking for a solid, simple meal with friendly service in a comfortable environment with good prices, you've come to the right place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ServicekillahbotDined on 7/25/2013It was so loud inside,we cant even hear each other and the waiter,he cant even wait til we finished our food,he's about to get my plate which im not done yet!!!Very bad!!!I felt that i was being rush.....hello im a paying customer....
- food & serviceJoanDined on 7/21/2013the food was good and the service was great. Nice views of the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cioppino really is one of the BestyMissPiggyDined on 7/19/2013I love this place for Cioppino! But I definitely recommend it with do it your self shell cracking version. Otherwise you might need the large portion! I go to this place every time I stay in SF and its always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and no oysters on the menu!DinerDined on 7/13/2013this restaurant was incredibly loud. the food was basic tourist fair and rather expensive. our service was friendly but inexperienced. Amazingly, they did not have oysters on the menus although they are located right in the docks are Fisherman's Wharf. The only positive was that we were able to get a table for four with a half hour notice on a Saturday night, but the dining experience explained why.Special Features:
- Good spotJeeferDined on 6/27/2013Took family from Virginia there for dinner... because of it's location it's a great spot; right down by the wharf and close to good touristy places (fishermans wharf, ghiradelli square, pier 39, etc)... food was good, not specatular, but certainly not bad. Family and kid friendly, but tends to be loud, so not a spot to go if you are looking for a quiet romantic evening. Parking can be difficult due to it's location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not much good to saymontanaDined on 6/20/2013I made reservations here because my husband loves cioppino and I had read some reviews and thought this was "the place" the soup broth was bland the seafood over cooked. I had the seafood risotto again the seafood was overcooked, the risotto seemed liked it had sat for some time it was not good at all. The saving grace was the sourdough bread and butter.
- Tourist trap?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/6/2013Good service. Bad food. They are charging top dollar for seafood on par with Red Lobster.Special Features:
- Great view!!JohnnyDined on 6/4/2013My fiancee and I ate here on our last night. We had a great view of the bay and delicious food! The servings are huge!!Special Features:
- Best Ciopinno everOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/4/2013The food and service was great. The Ciopinno was the best we have ever had and the Salted Caramel cake was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmosphereRosanderDined on 5/29/2013We had a large family group and everyone had a great time Food was excellent and we are glad we picked Chippinos for our eventSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The GREAT ORLANDOGhandiDined on 5/21/2013Orlando has got to be the best waiter. He should be running the place. He is wise, witty and provides great service.Special Features:
- Favorite on the wharfFoodie85Dined on 5/18/2013After much disappointment of trying many other restaurants for dinner on the wharf. We finally found one we would return to! Food was better than average and service was outstanding. My husband loved the pasta and I enjoyed the crab risottoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For weekday lunch/early dinnerOutAboutTownDined on 5/6/2013Good place to go on the wharf for cioppino and food that's hearty and flavorful. Casual ambiance and friendly service enjoyed. Parking of course difficult and expensive. Public transportation or by foot best option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, casual diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2013Good soups (clam chowder, minestrone), decent Cioppino and good dessert (tiramisu and mango cheesecake). Kitchen service slow. Environment loud (low ceiling). Waiter service good (apologetic due to slow kitchen). Good for group dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.