11949 West River Road
Champlin, MN 55316Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.buonaserawinebar.com/
- Phone: 7634211814
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Closed Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Buona Sera
Buona Sera is a cozy neighborhood restaurant and wine bar featuring the wonderful and authentic Italian recipes of renowned chef, Raffaele Virgillo. When you walk in the door you're treated like family. Enjoy good food, good wine, good company and of course, a Good Night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Buona Sera - Best Restaurants in Champlin ›
Buona Sera reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (73)special occasion (65)romantic (56)notable wine list (43)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (16)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- BrianBrianDined on 7/2/2014Went for our 3rd anniversary and had made some special requests through open table. The waitress remembered everything and managed to NOT make it feel like she was fishing for a tip. From the waitress to the chef asking about our meal service was exceptional. Sauces were great, veal was a titch overdone. Wine was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a little more!GermanChickDined on 7/1/2014To start with and what bothered me most was that my husbands and my pork medallions were not evenly cooked and raw in places. I also didn`t like the side paste swimming in marinara sauce. Sometimes less is more :) The overall taste was really good though!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Awesome meal for our special occasion. Looking forward to bringing our out of town guest there.Special Features:
- Great Little PlaceSmurfDined on 6/28/2014My husband and I heard about this resteraunt after visiting its sister resteraunt in Stillwater. The food is delicious and authentic. As a person who is gluten intolerant I appreciate that they have a decent selection of entrees besides just pasta. Waitstaff has always been very friendly and helpful. We will continue to come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014food was very good but my friend had wanted a beef dish and was told that there was no more beef. waiter recommended alternate dish which quite a bit higher in cost. more appropriate alternate should have been offered. she was unhappy and will probably not dine here again.Special Features:
- The following 685 reviews are from the Buona Sera reviews archive.
- Disappointed.LeahdDined on 6/20/2014I had been referred to this restaurant by a friend who swore the food was amazing. When we got there, we waited forever to be seen by our waitress- no water, no hello, nothing. I held out because the food was supposed to be good. The soup was great, but everything else was mediocre and a bit over cooked. I wouldn't have put up with the poor service if I had known that the food was nothing special.Special Features:
- GREAT DINNER!dinner4us2Dined on 6/20/2014We always look forward to dinners at Buona Sera especially when we can sit on the patio. As usual we were not disappointed. Great food and great service.Special Features:
- A little bit of Italy in ChamplinbadminDined on 6/18/2014Love this place! The food is awesome and to have the owner/chef have his touch on every meal AND come out and greet you at the table is something special. Food is a bit pricey, but is definitely worth those special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian2nearRRDined on 6/13/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants to go to for food quality only found in Italy. Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- Tired Italian so is the FoodSafariRomanticDined on 6/10/2014Tired Italian so is the Food... I like this place, its cozy warm great service and lots of potential. But the food quality is really sadly tiring, we have much better Italian chefs in the twin cities that cost much less. For example the mussels where overcooked, and the broth unseasoned and blend. So was the New York Strip, blend unseasoned not certainly not from the grill as it was stated on the menu, also all pastas where store bought. Nothing was homemade, sad very sad...wake up Chef -please.
- friday at buona seramankoviakDined on 6/6/2014A great night at a fun and happy place. High energy, great food and excellent service. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014The food and service were awesome. Only probably was getting to the restaurant as the City of Champlin had a citywide parade which shut down a lot of the roads to the restaurant. After 35 minutes of frustration, called the restaurant to cancel, then was informed to talk to policeman so we could get through barricade. Well worth going. Will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation Dinner for CreegnKatieDiningDined on 6/5/2014So happy we chose Buona Sera to eat at for my sons' graduation from transition school. The staff treated us like royalty and their sense of humor fit right in with ours. Even the owner came over to talk to us. Love this place!!!! Thank you so much for making our experience so memorable and enjoyable!Special Features:
- Dinner with my gal palsKatieDiningDined on 5/31/2014Went with two of my girl friends to eat dinner. We had a lovely time. All of us enjoyed our dinner so very much and was able to take some home for the next day! Love this little gem in my hood. Coming back this Thursday, June 5th for my sons graduation dinner!Special Features:
- I was expecting better.PeggyKDined on 5/30/2014I have been hearing rave reviews for years when this restaurant is mentioned but I wasn't very impressed. The service was slow and the food was just okay.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014The food was average with the prices in line. The service was very good. We were there 2 years ago and I remember the ceiling being dirty and grungy/nasty looking... it still is. I can't understand why they don't paint the damned thing.
- You can always count on the foodfudee3Dined on 5/17/2014Hadn't been to in a couple of years, but was happy to see it still very busy. Had to wait about 10 min past our reservation time (which has normally been the case), but you can grab a quick drink at the bar to pass the time. We all tried different menu items and were all very pleased. The walleye cake appetizers were exceptional. We always love coming here and will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful little place!armedpianoDined on 5/13/2014My wife and I decided to try Buona Sera after it was recommended to us by a few friends. The food was fantastic and the portions were larger than I expected. My wife had the Penne Carbonara and I had the Veal Cacciatore. We were told that the owner/chef, Rafael, was known for his sauces and he really came through! Our server, Lindsay, was also fantastic. She made sure that we always had what we needed and was very quick to remove dishes when we were finished. The only complaint I had was that, as we don't drink, we had to order a bottle of sparkling cider for which they charged us $20.99. I have purchased the exact same bottle at the local grocery store for $4.00. That seemed a little ridiculous...Special Features:
- Over-Priced, Mediocre Food/ServiceNot2GoodDined on 5/13/2014We were pretty disappointed by the food and service. Certainly not what we expected for a $125 (before tip) dinner for two. The steak was bland and over-cooked and the salmon was literally soaking in oil. The only bright spot was the dessert. The service, while pleasant, was very slow.
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014We hadn't been to Buona Sera in quite awhile, however we were there for Mothers Day dinner. As always, the food was fantastic. Our table ordered a mix of classic menu items as well as as daily specials. Everyone was quite pleased with their dinner. A very nice evening indeed.Special Features:
- Buona Sera is a gem!SuburbandadDined on 5/9/2014We were given a great recommendation to try Buona Sera in Champlin and were are very happy that we did. This is a very unique dining experience. The restaurant itself is very intimate, but not too noisy. The staff are so very friendly and accommodating to your every need and the Italian cuisine is the best!! The salmon special was the absolute best tasting salmon dish I've ever had. The chef checked in with us to make sure we were happy with our dinner. I can't be more positive about our dining experience. Going to Buona Sera isn't just going "out to dinner," its an event. Just make sure you have reservations because it doesn't seem like walk ins can be accommodated if they are busy.Special Features:
- Fantastic!Cooperk9Dined on 4/19/2014As usual, our experience at Buona Sera was wonderful. The service was spot-on (Scott), there was never an empty glass, and Scott was friendly, fun and helpful with suggestions. The food was first rate, as well. We have honestly never had anything but great food there.Special Features:
- Love it!KatBratDined on 4/19/2014Ask for lucky table number 7. It's the best seat in the whole place! Food was great, the service was even BETTER!Special Features:
- Great Italian food.Jmw969Dined on 4/16/2014The food was very good. Our server was so friendly and fast with our drinks and food. Thank you very much for a nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!tryingnewthingsDined on 4/16/2014Very friendly staff! Amazing food! Will go back often...will be great for takeout as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service and dinner wereAndreaDined on 4/13/2014The service and dinner were outstanding. Loved the pasta and surf 'n turf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was alrightDateNightDined on 4/5/2014The wife and I went out for a date night, thought we would give Buona Sera another chance as we had tried it several years ago and friends have raved about it. The service was fine, but we didn't find the cuisine very special. I tried the Lobster Ravioli and found that it was overly drenched in cream sauce with very little flavor. My wife tried the chicken marsala and said she enjoyed it. Not likely to return given the bland food.
- Great dining secret!diamondintheroughDined on 3/30/2014My husband and I stumbled across this amazing little restaurant many years ago in search of a quaint yet delectable place to get away and enjoy some time together while truly enjoying a flavorful meal as well! Boy did we strike it rich with this find! We often tell others to go and try it, because we LOVE IT, and it always gets back to us that it is one of their now favorite places too. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere is second toJohnny33Dined on 3/29/2014The atmosphere is second to none, the food is well prepared and the sauces are awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Definitely will return. Raphael's red sauce was amazing. Very noisy, but tolerableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/21/2014Great place! It's a gem! My only complaint was we ordered the lobster ravioli and received only three ravioli's in our plate. For the price we are paying I would expect to have a few more than three pieces. There was so much sauce that it seemed more like ravioli soup instead of a sauce over the pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerdmarieDined on 3/20/2014Celebrated 15 years with my husband.We had calamari which was very good.I had the lobster ravioli which was to die for and my husband had manicotti which he enjoyed.Finished with tiramisu which was excellent.Would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love going to your restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014We love going to your restaurant for a romantic and quite evening. The staff is always friendly.Special Features:
- Happy birthdayjcandcDined on 3/20/2014We hadn't been to the restaurant since it was remodeled, so we were very pleased with the new look. The new floor plan allows for a much better traffic flow and less awkward seating arrangement. We were especially pleased with our comfortable booth. The benches were higher than other local restaurants we've tried, seating us just close enough to the table. Our server Lindsey was friendly and attentive but not hovering. Her warm, welcoming personality contributed much to the meal - which was delicious. I highly recommend the lobster ravioli!Special Features:
- Always a hit!EdwardDined on 3/15/2014We keep coming back because we know we're going to enjoy the entire time! When we invite others who have been there before, they arrive before we do and we're always 30 minutes early for our reservation. Outstanding food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first time there and theNobberDined on 3/14/2014Our first time there and the food and service were excellent. Our server was very knowledgeable about the food and made good recommendations. She also was very knowledgeable about the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- de-lishtms3Dined on 3/14/2014We never fail to have a wonder time at this special little restaurant. The food is delicious and the wine choices are unique. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classy. tasty. vegan friendly :)JackDined on 3/11/2014The food tastes amazing. The environment is peaceful. The staff is pleasant and very helpful. Be prepared to spend some $$$ it is worth it. The chef came out to discuss vegan meal options that were not on the menu (Not just modifications).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in a sea of restaurant chainsMplsCSDined on 3/9/2014I love the fact this place is locally owned and the service is so attentive. The menu and wine list has a broad array of options (which the servers have great knowledge and enthusiasm about). Our group ordered calamari to start which was a bit tasteless, tough and cold. Seafood chowder afterwards was amazing.....and frankly could have been my entire meal. The Caesar salad looked and tasted like something you would buy in a bag from your local grocery store. The veal Marsala was pretty good...I found it odd the vegetables were served in separate bowl and that my carb options to accompany the meal were French fries, baked potato or rigatoni noodles smothered with marinara. Seriously? Overall a nice dinner....Special Features:
- Excellent!EdwardDined on 3/7/2014top notch Italian food, great wine choices, and helpful, energetic wait staff. Food comes piping hot right from the stove to the table, and it's always delicious. We have come for special events, primarily, as it is more at the top end of our budget. Having the owner/chef, Rafael, visit the table at the end is a nice touch. We'll come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.