11949 West River Road
Champlin, MN 55316Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.buonaserawinebar.com/
- Phone: 7634211814
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Closed Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Buona Sera
Buona Sera is a cozy neighborhood restaurant and wine bar featuring the wonderful and authentic Italian recipes of renowned chef, Raffaele Virgillo. When you walk in the door you're treated like family. Enjoy good food, good wine, good company and of course, a Good Night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Buona Sera - Best Restaurants in Champlin ›
Buona Sera reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)special occasion (59)romantic (53)notable wine list (34)fit for foodies (28)great for outdoor dining (19)good for groups (13)hot spot (6)late-night find (6)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- You can always count on the foodfudee3Dined on 5/17/2014Hadn't been to in a couple of years, but was happy to see it still very busy. Had to wait about 10 min past our reservation time (which has normally been the case), but you can grab a quick drink at the bar to pass the time. We all tried different menu items and were all very pleased. The walleye cake appetizers were exceptional. We always love coming here and will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful little place!armedpianoDined on 5/13/2014My wife and I decided to try Buona Sera after it was recommended to us by a few friends. The food was fantastic and the portions were larger than I expected. My wife had the Penne Carbonara and I had the Veal Cacciatore. We were told that the owner/chef, Rafael, was known for his sauces and he really came through! Our server, Lindsay, was also fantastic. She made sure that we always had what we needed and was very quick to remove dishes when we were finished. The only complaint I had was that, as we don't drink, we had to order a bottle of sparkling cider for which they charged us $20.99. I have purchased the exact same bottle at the local grocery store for $4.00. That seemed a little ridiculous...Special Features:
- Over-Priced, Mediocre Food/ServiceNot2GoodDined on 5/13/2014We were pretty disappointed by the food and service. Certainly not what we expected for a $125 (before tip) dinner for two. The steak was bland and over-cooked and the salmon was literally soaking in oil. The only bright spot was the dessert. The service, while pleasant, was very slow.
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014We hadn't been to Buona Sera in quite awhile, however we were there for Mothers Day dinner. As always, the food was fantastic. Our table ordered a mix of classic menu items as well as as daily specials. Everyone was quite pleased with their dinner. A very nice evening indeed.Special Features:
- Buona Sera is a gem!SuburbandadDined on 5/9/2014We were given a great recommendation to try Buona Sera in Champlin and were are very happy that we did. This is a very unique dining experience. The restaurant itself is very intimate, but not too noisy. The staff are so very friendly and accommodating to your every need and the Italian cuisine is the best!! The salmon special was the absolute best tasting salmon dish I've ever had. The chef checked in with us to make sure we were happy with our dinner. I can't be more positive about our dining experience. Going to Buona Sera isn't just going "out to dinner," its an event. Just make sure you have reservations because it doesn't seem like walk ins can be accommodated if they are busy.Special Features:
- Fantastic!Cooperk9Dined on 4/19/2014As usual, our experience at Buona Sera was wonderful. The service was spot-on (Scott), there was never an empty glass, and Scott was friendly, fun and helpful with suggestions. The food was first rate, as well. We have honestly never had anything but great food there.Special Features:
- Love it!KatBratDined on 4/19/2014Ask for lucky table number 7. It's the best seat in the whole place! Food was great, the service was even BETTER!Special Features:
- Great Italian food.Jmw969Dined on 4/16/2014The food was very good. Our server was so friendly and fast with our drinks and food. Thank you very much for a nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!tryingnewthingsDined on 4/16/2014Very friendly staff! Amazing food! Will go back often...will be great for takeout as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service and dinner wereAndreaDined on 4/13/2014The service and dinner were outstanding. Loved the pasta and surf 'n turf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was alrightDateNightDined on 4/5/2014The wife and I went out for a date night, thought we would give Buona Sera another chance as we had tried it several years ago and friends have raved about it. The service was fine, but we didn't find the cuisine very special. I tried the Lobster Ravioli and found that it was overly drenched in cream sauce with very little flavor. My wife tried the chicken marsala and said she enjoyed it. Not likely to return given the bland food.
- Great dining secret!diamondintheroughDined on 3/30/2014My husband and I stumbled across this amazing little restaurant many years ago in search of a quaint yet delectable place to get away and enjoy some time together while truly enjoying a flavorful meal as well! Boy did we strike it rich with this find! We often tell others to go and try it, because we LOVE IT, and it always gets back to us that it is one of their now favorite places too. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere is second toJohnny33Dined on 3/29/2014The atmosphere is second to none, the food is well prepared and the sauces are awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Definitely will return. Raphael's red sauce was amazing. Very noisy, but tolerableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/21/2014Great place! It's a gem! My only complaint was we ordered the lobster ravioli and received only three ravioli's in our plate. For the price we are paying I would expect to have a few more than three pieces. There was so much sauce that it seemed more like ravioli soup instead of a sauce over the pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerdmarieDined on 3/20/2014Celebrated 15 years with my husband.We had calamari which was very good.I had the lobster ravioli which was to die for and my husband had manicotti which he enjoyed.Finished with tiramisu which was excellent.Would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love going to your restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014We love going to your restaurant for a romantic and quite evening. The staff is always friendly.Special Features:
- Happy birthdayjcandcDined on 3/20/2014We hadn't been to the restaurant since it was remodeled, so we were very pleased with the new look. The new floor plan allows for a much better traffic flow and less awkward seating arrangement. We were especially pleased with our comfortable booth. The benches were higher than other local restaurants we've tried, seating us just close enough to the table. Our server Lindsey was friendly and attentive but not hovering. Her warm, welcoming personality contributed much to the meal - which was delicious. I highly recommend the lobster ravioli!Special Features:
- Always a hit!EdwardDined on 3/15/2014We keep coming back because we know we're going to enjoy the entire time! When we invite others who have been there before, they arrive before we do and we're always 30 minutes early for our reservation. Outstanding food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first time there and theNobberDined on 3/14/2014Our first time there and the food and service were excellent. Our server was very knowledgeable about the food and made good recommendations. She also was very knowledgeable about the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- de-lishtms3Dined on 3/14/2014We never fail to have a wonder time at this special little restaurant. The food is delicious and the wine choices are unique. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classy. tasty. vegan friendly :)JackDined on 3/11/2014The food tastes amazing. The environment is peaceful. The staff is pleasant and very helpful. Be prepared to spend some $$$ it is worth it. The chef came out to discuss vegan meal options that were not on the menu (Not just modifications).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in a sea of restaurant chainsMplsCSDined on 3/9/2014I love the fact this place is locally owned and the service is so attentive. The menu and wine list has a broad array of options (which the servers have great knowledge and enthusiasm about). Our group ordered calamari to start which was a bit tasteless, tough and cold. Seafood chowder afterwards was amazing.....and frankly could have been my entire meal. The Caesar salad looked and tasted like something you would buy in a bag from your local grocery store. The veal Marsala was pretty good...I found it odd the vegetables were served in separate bowl and that my carb options to accompany the meal were French fries, baked potato or rigatoni noodles smothered with marinara. Seriously? Overall a nice dinner....Special Features:
- Excellent!EdwardDined on 3/7/2014top notch Italian food, great wine choices, and helpful, energetic wait staff. Food comes piping hot right from the stove to the table, and it's always delicious. We have come for special events, primarily, as it is more at the top end of our budget. Having the owner/chef, Rafael, visit the table at the end is a nice touch. We'll come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best salmon ever!pagunnerDined on 3/5/2014Calamari app and broiled salmon dinner are standouts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So pleasedHappyPatronDined on 3/1/2014I had visited this restaurant with a work group, which is how I found out about it. Recently I returned with my boyfriend for a special evening out, and we were so impressed. We ordered a bottle of wine with the meal and that was a bit more expensive than we expected. However, given the wonderful experience overall, it wasn't that big a deal.Special Features:
- No titlePaulDined on 2/22/2014Good food and service...we had reservations with another couple. Unfortunately one of the dinners came out very late...so three of us were over half into our meals before the 4th dinner came out...the kitchen must have forgotten to put it in with the others. Now they did credit us the dinner...so no complaints there...but that did prevent me from giving a more favorable review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to Buona SeraKel2sDined on 2/15/2014I have been to Buona Sera several times for special occasions. Normally I love the food. This time if was just ok. I ordered the pork cacciatore and honestly the sauce was way too much....a little heavy and greasy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteJTKruchtenDined on 2/14/2014We love this restaurant . We have been about six times and it is very good every time. It's is worth the money having a reservation and the great food and drink. Thank you for another wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/13/2014I took my wife here the day before Valentines Day so we could beat the crazy rush. It was our first time eating here and let me start by saying this place has a great ambiance. My wife ordered a pecan salmon and I ordered pasta. Both of our meals were delicious. My wife was disappointed the potato she ordered w her salmon came w no side except sour cream. A baked potato and sour cream isn't very interesting or appetizing. Overall we enjoyed our dinner and the atmosphere, but we were very disappointed how long it took to order and get our food. We did not order any appetizers and it took 1hour and 15 mins from the time we were seated until the time we recd our food. We also waited quite long to get refills on our drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there, GREAT experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/11/2014This was our first time there. We were there for our 5th anniversary. The food was fantastic and the service and people were even better. I will for sure return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFrequentvisitorDined on 2/11/2014I was disappointed in our visit 2/11. We have been to the Buoa Sera multiple times for business and pleasure and this time was not wonderful. We started out with several appetizers and all three were on the bland side. The sauce on the stuffed mushrooms tasted watery. The creamy soup was fantastic. 4 of us had the scallops, unfortunately one of our party had to leave early but the remaining three all concurred that there was little flavor and they were a bit rubbery. Not what we would expect from our previous visits. I would still recommend this restaurant, based on the many previous wonderful experiences, but very disappointed in our 2/11 visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014The experience and food were great as usual! Never a let down at this quaint restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for hassel free dining.wayneDined on 2/8/2014A great palace to go, east to make a reservation, plenty of parking, no nines, tables are always full, waiters are really frendly and helpful anddo what they say they will do, nice wine list and the food is alway wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ah..Buona SeraFoodieDined on 2/8/2014Delicious food as usual. It was very quiet for a Saturday, but I think people are saving for Valentines Day. Very good wine list and the servers are very knowledgeable. Our server knew the menu well and suggested her favorite. We would go there again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my sister and her husbandOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/1/2014Took my sister and her husband there for the first time. They really enjoyed it. As always, my husband and I loved it! Great food and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different experience.....VickidDined on 1/31/2014Our first dinner there was the best we had ever had at a restaurant. Good food and excellent service. This time, we had to wait for our waitress and she wasn't as attentive or outgoing as the first one we had. Our first waitress actually came to our table to help out ours and remember our last visit AND the wine we had picked. When we go again, we will be requesting the first waitress, for sure. Made a big difference for us.Special Features:
- ImpressedFireguyDined on 1/31/2014A great find. Food was fantastic. Reasonably priced. Attentive staff without being overbearing. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buena SeraSharkDined on 1/29/2014This is nice intimate restaurant that is gooda a couples night out.Special Features:
- Food just didn't make it.KirbyDined on 1/29/2014We've been here many times and the food just didn't make it this time. My wife had one of the specials, lobster ravioli, and I had a Saltimbocca (sp). The lobster ravioli was, in a word boring and the Saltimbocca was good, but we were expecting wow food as in the past. I tried my wife's lobster ravioli and from the looks and taste I thought it was salmon. The server and service was excellent. I know this is a very popular place for Italian food, but they didn't live up to their reputation on this visit. The chef caught our eye twice, but never came over to us, but did visit a few other tables of people that looked like they were familiar to him. We won't be back for quite a while.Special Features: